BATMAN vs SUPERMAN

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't know, I mean, I gave up on the movies by the time George Cloony started playing the role because they had gotten way too campy. (The dude actually whips out a credit card that says "Batman Forever" on it. :rolleye0014: My friends and I actually walked out of the theater at that point.)

I think the nature of the character is supposed to be dark. That doesn't mean it always has to be played with a fatalistic, Christian Bale approach. Some humor is just fine in my estimation.
It's not so much that -batman- is supposed to be dark, it's more the comics in the 90's for him -went- darker. Less and less focus was on the "worlds greatest detective" which is where he started as a character with, err, Detective Comics, and more is placed on the worlds greatest ass kicker with gadgets guy. He became the "Dark Knight", the guy who gets addicted to steroids after having his back broken, the guy who is more into revenge than justice. Basically, they turned him into the punisher, just with a few more gadgets and not needing microchip to build his toys. The first Tim Burton Batman was the "real" batman, Bale is the "dark knight" version of him, and that version is NOT a "hero".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As it stands it will end its boxoffice run just barely breaking even. Investors are not going to like that.

They really rely on international box office numbers now from what I've heard. I wonder how much that will impact the decision to go forward. As it is they are trying to pump up Ben Affleck's role as director and star of the next Batman movie, which, to me, doesn't mean a hill of beans.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is WITH international boxoffice.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is WITH international boxoffice.

I wonder what changes they will make to their future plans. Perhaps holding off on Aquaman as a stand along flick? (They were going to do a solo Aquaman, weren't they?)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wonder what changes they will make to their future plans. Perhaps holding off on Aquaman as a stand along flick? (They were going to do a solo Aquaman, weren't they?)

Aquaman was actually seen in the movie for about 30 seconds, but he really was not in it and had no dialogue. They need to move forward ONLY on Wonder Woman because they have a winner in Gal Gadot and the new Wonder Woman. She is nothing like any Wonder Woman before her, and they pulled her off well in this. She is new and exciting and I want to see more of her. Wonder Woman needs to be their next film. What exactly is exciting about Aquaman...like anytime ever?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Aquaman was actually seen in the movie for about 30 seconds, but he really was not in it and had no dialogue. They need to move forward ONLY on Wonder Woman because they have a winner in Gal Gadot and the new Wonder Woman. She is nothing like any Wonder Woman before her, and they pulled her off well in this. She is new and exciting and I want to see more of her. Wonder Woman needs to be their next film. What exactly is exciting about Aquaman...like anytime ever?

That seems to be the consensus. We've had more than enough of male superheroes lately.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just watched this again. :) Affleck has successfully pulled off the first genuine Butthurt Batman. His entire character in this movie is him being butthurt over Superman and his popularity. Superman is not butthurt in this, but he is kinda immature and high-schoolish. And Lex Luthor? A different actor would have pulled this off better. He was very emo in this. Still, the rest of the movie is just loud and awful and explode-y for no apparent reason except to activate the special sound systems in theaters (and the dumb 4D chairs). Wonder Woman coming into the battle sort of spiced it up a bit, but still Affleck was butthurt all the way to the end.

Can we talk about Wonder Woman? Im gonna. :) She is awesome. And that outfit is NOT all brown.

gal_gadot_wonder_woman.jpg

This is not Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman at all. I thought from the first trailer that she would be lame and silly, but this Wonder Woman is way badder than the original. She has real superpowers beyond any human like Batman, but not quite on Superman's level. She appears to be more powerful than Thor or Loki. In this movie, we see her use her new sword (which Wonder Woman never carried before), and it can slice through just about anything earthly or non-earthly. We saw her use her new shield, which can fend off energy beams, bombs and fire and who knows what else. We did not see her use the lasso or any of her other stuff.

I want to see more of this Wonder Woman. I want to know her new backstory, and I want to see how they rewrote her original Army Nurse/WWII backstory. This Diana Prince is rich and stylish and seems more James Bond than Lynda Carter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Meh, the chick does nothing for me. :P :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, Gal Gadot was pretty much the only redeeming feature of the film. Other than her, the plot was nonsensical, the Superman character is the same EMO idiot that ruined Man of Steel, Luthor's motivations are not just unclear they are nonexistent. And so on and so on.

After all the money and work they turned a measly 30 million profit on a layout of nearly a half billion. Something tells me the investors won't be queueing up for their next project...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Snookie and I saw this - she loved the movie- she's a huge henry cavill fan. and we were both impressed with the new wonder woman. (we are excited to see the movie on her next year) I liked Ben Affleck as batman - mostly because I like him as an actor. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Snookie and I saw this - she loved the movie- she's a huge henry cavill fan. and we were both impressed with the new wonder woman. (we are excited to see the movie on her next year) I liked Ben Affleck as batman - mostly because I like him as an actor. ;)

I liked Wonder Woman a lot in the movie, but this Batman was jealous and butthurt IMO. I wish they had not pitted Superman and Batman against each other. :(

aureaborealis

GateFans Noob
I don’t think Superman vs Batman is a good comparison. Let alone having a movie itself. They have their own strengths so why not just rename it as Superman meets Batman or something similar. Just not to compare the two... Didn’t like the movie either.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don’t think Superman vs Batman is a good comparison. Let alone having a movie itself. They have their own strengths so why not just rename it as Superman meets Batman or something similar. Just not to compare the two... Didn’t like the movie either.

hey there!! welcome!

i have always found superman, in any appearance, to be a rather boring character.. not bad, just kind of there

as to the Sman vs Bman film; well Ben Affelck didnt do the Batman character any favors

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BTW, Welcome to GateFans!

:welcomewagon:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just not to compare the two.

yes, their talents are heavily mismatched. one has innate ability due to his origins, the other is basically a regular guy who works out and has snappy gadgets

the movie -just another attempt at DC films (whatever studio that is) trying to enter the market and compete with marvel/disney, by forcing together the two best known characters

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i very much like the whole Dark Knight series of films as well as GOTHAM- which TPTBs basically said is a companion to the DARK KNIGHT series

in all of those, every character is seen as getting their "powers" through either enhancements or through some type of freak accident or medical experiment

they are not too "comic booky" like the Tim Burton films in that way

and in all of this, there would be no "believable" entry for a humanoid from another planet