BATMAN vs SUPERMAN

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Confirmed: Batman’s armor will be equipped with Kryptonite in ‘Batman v Superman’

http://batman-news.com/2015/07/02/c...quipped-with-kryptonite-in-batman-v-superman/

Ultimate_15f87e_2381098.jpg

Ugh.

jon_stewart.gif

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I had a funny feeling...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes you wonder why no one ever just made a bullet out of kryptonite and shot Superman with it...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was just thinking that Superman creates the same issue for the Justice League that Thor creates for the Avengers.

Both of them are so ridiculously overpowered in their universe that in order to create a challenge writers have to create insanely powerful (and hence ridiculous) enemies. In essence, it means they can never tell a "small story", which in turn means the films all become almost TOO epic.

Silly as it sounds, one of the things I liked about films like the first Iron Man, the original X-Men, the first Captain America and even Guardians of the Galaxy was that the stories were relatively smaller. In Guardians case, that was the more remarkable as the opponent had powers in universe that were not that much lower than Thor's. It was just that the way the plot was written he was not given the opportunity to employ them fully.

In short, I think it's time for Marvel and DC to put the demigod superheroes on the shelf for a while.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was just thinking that Superman creates the same issue for the Justice League that Thor creates for the Avengers.

Both of them are so ridiculously overpowered in their universe that in order to create a challenge writers have to create insanely powerful (and hence ridiculous) enemies. In essence, it means they can never tell a "small story", which in turn means the films all become almost TOO epic.

At least Thor has many weaknesses even as a god. One, there are more gods than just him, and some are more powerful. He has magical weaknesses too. He has girlfriends in Asgard and earth (and probably elsewhere :)). Superman is a god all by himself, and he is actually stronger than Thor and has more powers. In one of the new 52 comics, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern actually MOVE THE EARTH...literally:

2715158-comics_dc.jpg

:facepalm:

Silly as it sounds, one of the things I liked about films like the first Iron Man, the original X-Men, the first Captain America and even Guardians of the Galaxy was that the stories were relatively smaller. In Guardians case, that was the more remarkable as the opponent had powers in universe that were not that much lower than Thor's. It was just that the way the plot was written he was not given the opportunity to employ them fully.

In short, I think it's time for Marvel and DC to put the demigod superheroes on the shelf for a while.

Balance! That's what you are talking about, and I totally agree. I like the Avengers because each one of the characters has a weakness and they do not become super super powerful unless they work as a team. Superman by himself is more powerful than all the Avengers put together.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On a humorous note, Batman vs. Superman is getting blasted by critics as being as bad if not worse than Man of Steel and for largely the same reasons (humorless, way overblown CGI). Also it seems the boxoffice expectations are being scaled back.... :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
On a humorous note, Batman vs. Superman is getting blasted by critics as being as bad if not worse than Man of Steel and for largely the same reasons (humorless, way overblown CGI). Also it seems the boxoffice expectations are being scaled back.... :)

The side effect of BB and TDK being darker, but done well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The side effect of BB and TDK being darker, but done well.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/23/11294512/batman-vs-superman-dawn-of-justice-review-movie-spoilers

I just read this at The Verge. From the synopsis of the story, it's Lex Luthor and Batman plotting to bring down Superman because they are jealous of his power?

The script channels its Man Of Steel reactions through bratty rich kid Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) and sullen rich man Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck), a.k.a. Batman, both of whom resent Superman's failures, envy his power, and fear his potential for destruction. It's unsettling how closely the supposed hero and the villain resemble each other in their thinking and their actions: Both decide that the only solution is to humble Superman, break his will, and then kill him. Meanwhile, the American government also reacts to the events of Man Of Steel, with memorials, hearings, and back-door deals with Lex. And as Superman continues to save lives, and to be blamed when lives are lost around him, both the public controversy and the private vendettas get more heated.

Are we talking about BUTTHURT Batman here? Really? :cool:

40e89de0ac5478f6b81fd8e730d24dbfa992f2c2f69f2a5fcc77ccc9f8cca68d.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Weeeeelllll ... if you're curious:

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Weeeeelllll ... if you're curious:

:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

AH HAHAHAHAHA! That is the funniest thing I have heard in 2016! I was laughing so effing hard I was coughing! Oh am I gonna see this (not at the theaters, of course). I will go into it expecting nothing more entertaining than Sharknado 2, so it wont be so bad. But I think it might become a comedy of failure in the months to come.

:shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao::shep_lol::anim_19::smiley-laughing024::smiley_joy::rotflmao:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Given that this film seems to suffer from the exact same problems that Man of Steel did, maybe there is a hint in there about why DC can't seem to make decent films of late about any of its characters other than Batman. And that is....

DC nowadays is trying to make their films WAY too bleak, dark and pseudo operatic. It works okay with Batman because the character is specifically designed for such a setting, but even there the Nolan trilogy did go too far into humorlessness. One think I really like about Tim Burton's Batman is that while it is dark it still has its humorous moments which serve to give the film balance.

However, aside from Batman DC has no other characters that belong in these types of settings. Superman certainly does not and neither do Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman et al. Marvel's films are vastly superior because they get that the films tone and pace need to align properly to the superhero(es) in them. Hence Iron Man had a sort of techno-action sarcastic vibe to it while Thor felt (especially the parts on Asgard) like a sort of epic fantasy.

Will they ever learn?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Given that this film seems to suffer from the exact same problems that Man of Steel did, maybe there is a hint in there about why DC can't seem to make decent films of late about any of its characters other than Batman. And that is....

DC nowadays is trying to make their films WAY too bleak, dark and pseudo operatic. It works okay with Batman because the character is specifically designed for such a setting, but even there the Nolan trilogy did go too far into humorlessness. One think I really like about Tim Burton's Batman is that while it is dark it still has its humorous moments which serve to give the film balance.
Even Batman was originally not so grim in the cartoon, he was the "super detective" with gadgets.

However, aside from Batman DC has no other characters that belong in these types of settings. Superman certainly does not and neither do Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman et al. Marvel's films are vastly superior because they get that the films tone and pace need to align properly to the superhero(es) in them. Hence Iron Man had a sort of techno-action sarcastic vibe to it while Thor felt (especially the parts on Asgard) like a sort of epic fantasy.
As the Joker said, Why so serious?
WHY SO SERIOUS DC!!!
Will they ever learn?
Nope. They have killed their 2 biggest franchises in one crap movie!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yep.
They simply -cannot- write good stories that translate well to the 2-3 hour formula. They also can't seem to cast worth a damn these days. Cavell is -horrid- as Superman, and while I will reserve judgement on Affleck (as when he nails a role, he can be damn good), I am not expecting much from him. Batman Begins and TDK were good stories, but Bale was -terrible- as Bruce Wayne, which hurt him as Batman. Morgan Freeman and Heath Ledger were the only 2 stand out actors in the movies IMHO.

I'm torn. On one hand I take offense at your harsh, unfounded criticism of the incredibly hot Henry Cavell. But, I agree with you about Bale. In fact, I would go further and say he stunk not only as Bruce Wayne but most especially as Batman (his fight scenes in the final movie were laughably bad).

*Granted, I don't care for Superman as a character at all so my interest in the role is strictly Cavell-based (biased?).

**Oh! And Ben Affleck is a turd. A big, stinking turd. Why he doesn't have the good sense to drink himself to death like most "actors" of his caliber is beyond me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm torn. On one hand I take offense at your harsh, unfounded criticism of the incredibly hot Henry Cavell. But, I agree with you about Bale. In fact, I would go further and say he stunk not only as Bruce Wayne but most especially as Batman (his fight scenes in the final movie were laughably bad).
Hey, Gal Gadot is hot, don't make her a good Wonder Woman. She should have just showed up as herself and shot Superman with a kryptonite bullet. :)
*Granted, I don't care for Superman as a character at all so my interest in the role is strictly Cavell-based (biased?).
Either/or :P
**Oh! And Ben Affleck is a turd. A big, stinking turd. Why he doesn't have the good sense to drink himself to death like most "actors" of his caliber is beyond me.
And yet, I bet he shows more range of emotion than Henry "I am Groot stickboy" Cavell.........
Look man, you have one simple job, keep your boy toys locked up in your dungeon, but you keep letting them out and inflicting them on us!!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hey, Gal Gadot is hot, don't make her a good Wonder Woman. She should have just showed up as herself and shot Superman with a kryptonite bullet. :)

Either/or :P

And yet, I bet he shows more range of emotion than Henry "I am Groot stickboy" Cavell.........
Look man, you have one simple job, keep your boy toys locked up in your dungeon, but you keep letting them out and inflicting them on us!!

roflbot (4).jpg