Star Trek: Picard

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
with all the bad and so-so sci fi of the last decade or so, i am conflicted

on one hand, I want someone to like the bad stuff i hate-- get the shows some kind of decent numbers so that studio money ppl will see there is a future in making sci fi. take the criticisms to tweek their products and make them better

I detect a glimmer of hope here! This is the thing...studios will not just stop making shows. What will happen is that they will stop making certain types of shows with certain types of content when it is shown over and over that it fails. Hence the term: "Get Woke Go broke". If this phrase is shown to be true time and time again (and it is), then companies will move in a new direction. We see it in movies like The Joker, and Sonic. We are starting to see people in Hollywood pushing back against SJW wokeness Like Ricky Gervais. You can't slavishly support substandard garbage unless you want more of it.

if everything they do is hated and only 1 or 2 shows are actually accepted as good or great, then why would studios continue to invest in a genre where it seems obvious they cannot deliver the goods on? if they cant make sci fi fans satisfied, then why keep spending money trying?

They will keep spending, because they have to. It's their business. But if they continue losing millions by pandering to woke SJWs and mediocre minds who just want to plop down in front of a big or small screen and look at pretty colors and explosions, they will continue to lose money. The beancounters will not allow that to happen for very long.

on the other hand, i get tired of drudging through the sludge --to include the pre-emptive 'fandom' doom-dom based on trailers that has become a facet of the process-- of new show anticipation, only to be left with the feeling of " i waited for this, what exactly DID I wait for?" and "I cant believe i used up 10 minutes of my life laying down that insane 'what if?' fan theory on gatefans"

back to PICARD itself-- I criticized HARD the fandom lettuce for being so doom cocky on the show well before it premiered

got to give a show a chance, you cannot predetermine based on a trailer that some topic dispassionate douche at the studio put together

but now that it has arrived, and as I said earlier, the show does little for me other then it is yet another ""well, its something to watch"" but I still stand by my dislike for the FM

I understand this about the Fandom Menace. Mainly, I see very little activity riling up Star Trek fans in The Fandom Menace because most of them seem to mainly be Star Wars oriented. Also, within the Star Wars fandom, you have the Reylos and other shippers, you have Prequel haters, Clone Wars and EU purists, lots of factions. In Star Trek, you have NuTrek fans and Star Trek fans, and the dichotomy is cut and dry. If you like Star Trek and are a true fan, then watching just a few episodes of Discovery or Picard or any of the three NuTrek reboot movies tells you immediately that it isn't Star Trek. Any praise of it risks making more of it. Fortunately, it is failing miserably and has been failing since 2009. It continues today only because of contract agreements.

for me, this has been going on since SGU and BSG;BLOOD AND CHROME and nearly every show since with just a few exceptions (expanse, 12 monkeys, the 100, dark matter, etc)-- lots of hype and expectations realized to little puffs of smoke coming out of my TV upon viewing

this kind of shit has reduced me to spending 3 months two winters ago binging all 16 seasons of HELLS KITCHEN :psychosga:

this is a big reason why i have gotten so heavy into reading actual books again for entertainment-- oh and watching well made travel vlogs on YT! :)

Can you pick up on what I am laying down? :confused0076:

In a very real way, SGUsucks was like The Fandom Menace and original Star Trek fans. As a result of being anti-fans of SGU, we were called trolls and haters if you recall, But the reality was that the actual SGU cast and Brad Wright were very aware of our group. Had everyone just stayed quiet, we might have gotten more seasons of utter shit. We are there with Star Trek. Picars and Discovery and all three reboot movies are shit. They might be even considered ok movies if taken as separate works, but not as Star Trek. The dumbing down of Star Trek cannot and will not be tolerated, and CBS can see that loudly and clearly. Discovery is done, and Picard is next to fall. And that is because the fans refuse to give it any love. GOOD. Let it die. Shari Redstone has plans for Star Trek after Kurtzman's contract is dead.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
why did I hear Maddox telling Dr Jurati about his working with a Soong? i didn't know there were any surviving members of the family?
I believe what Maddox implied is that he completed the work for which the considerable ground work had been laid by Dr. Soong. An android so life-like they are indistinguishable from a regular human being.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I believe what Maddox implied is that he completed the work for which the considerable ground work had been laid by Dr. Soong. An android so life-like they are indistinguishable from a regular human being.
ok

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
What will happen is that they will stop making certain types of shows with certain types of content when it is shown over and over that it fails. Hence the term: "Get Woke Go broke". If this phrase is shown to be true time and time again

ok, i accept that, but what was their excuse before "woke" and SJW ness?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
then watching just a few episodes of Discovery or Picard or any of the three NuTrek reboot movies tells you immediately that it isn't Star Trek
i think there is a huge difference between PICARD and these other nuTREK

PICARD has about 2% of its premise based on events in the first JJ movie.. the rest is derived from TNG and VOYAGER

now what they do with these derivations is another issue

DISCOVERY is just totally pulled out of the ass ,based and derived on nothing

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched episode 6 again. Still good.

Picard is like a movie, only things have more time to unfold.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

That is false information. The show was canceled after Season 3 wrapped about a month ago. But you will hear about that soon enough. Also there is not even a Season 4 renewal, so obviously no Season 5. It's nice to know people inside. I do find these shill announcements amusing though! You will find no official greenlight from CBS, no series order announcements, no actor engagements, nothing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so.. i guess The Fandom is failing?

No, the information is false. There will not even be a Season 4, let alone a Season 5. The show has been canceled, just not announced. Michelle Paradise flew up to Toronto to wrap the Season 3 production, and the last episode pf the series is already in the can.

If you investigate further, you will see no announcements from CBS verifying this, no series orders, no actors being excited for starting Season 4 filming, etc etc. This is spin paid for by Secret Hideout's SMD to gauge any interest in the show. Shari Redstone has frozen all Star Trek projects under Secret Hideout past Picard Season 1. Season 2 of the show may or may not happen.

Kurtzman is failing, not the fandom. Kurtzman is not Star Trek, he is just the guy trying to milk it for money. His alternate license is already done, so he has to keep Star Trek in production in order to keep using the name. He can't do that because Shari Redstone herself has frozen anything new for Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
PROOF from tvguide.com (owned by CBS). No announcements from CBS All Access or ViacomCBS about any Season 4 of Discovery. Clearly, there can be no Season 5 if there is no Season 4. :). You will find only non-vetted, non-official little-known websites spewing nonsense like this, with nothing official backing it up.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/2020-tv-scorecard-canceled-renewed-shows/

upload_2020-3-4_23-34-52.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Rotten Tomatoes ratings for the season so far:
upload_2020-3-4_23-46-56.png

The comments just about everywhere other than shill media sites without comment sections are negative for this show, and CBS is well aware of it.

Episode 6 review from Doomcock:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Wow. I thought you weren't going to be responding on my posts on this thread. Instead, response overload!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow. I thought you weren't going to be responding on my posts on this thread. Instead, response overload!

I will make exceptions for when anyone posts fake news about stuff. :) More precisely, I am just not going to respond to your comments on this show because they would all be negative, and I would just rather let you express yourself than constantly argue. Isn't that a better approach?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I will make exceptions for when anyone posts fake news about stuff. :) More precisely, I am just not going to respond to your comments on this show because they would all be negative, and I would just rather let you express yourself than constantly argue. Isn't that a better approach?
I agree, yet every time I do post something about the show you do come back with at least one post hashing up all kinds of stuff which you've already repeated dozens of times before.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No, the information is false. There will not even be a Season 4, let alone a Season 5. The show has been canceled, just not announced. Michelle Paradise flew up to Toronto to wrap the Season 3 production, and the last episode pf the series is already in the can.

If you investigate further, you will see no announcements from CBS verifying this, no series orders, no actors being excited for starting Season 4 filming, etc etc. This is spin paid for by Secret Hideout's SMD to gauge any interest in the show. Shari Redstone has frozen all Star Trek projects under Secret Hideout past Picard Season 1. Season 2 of the show may or may not happen.

Kurtzman is failing, not the fandom. Kurtzman is not Star Trek, he is just the guy trying to milk it for money. His alternate license is already done, so he has to keep Star Trek in production in order to keep using the name. He can't do that because Shari Redstone herself has frozen anything new for Trek.

its funny how you and lord baal are talking to each other through me :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is false information. The show was canceled after Season 3 wrapped about a month ago.
evidence? what would be the motivation in putting out false info? i would think if it were to be cancelled they would be putting out some 'save STD!" campaign info instead

this article came out 3 days ago.. and, keep in mind I am NOT saying i want STD to continue just because i am asking you this question though-hell ,i haven't even watched STD!

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
PROOF from tvguide.com (owned by CBS). No announcements from CBS All Access or ViacomCBS about any Season 4 of Discovery. Clearly, there can be no Season 5 if there is no Season 4. :). You will find only non-vetted, non-official little-known websites spewing nonsense like this, with nothing official backing it up.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/2020-tv-scorecard-canceled-renewed-shows/

View attachment 35458
i think its just more of tv guides' depth being the upcoming season in this calendar yr.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Rotten Tomatoes ratings for the season so far:
View attachment 35459

The comments just about everywhere other than shill media sites without comment sections are negative for this show, and CBS is well aware of it.

Episode 6 review from Doomcock:

when doomcock starts talking shit about expanse s4 then i may consider him to be credible

the continued ignoring of the growing wokeness and sjw-isms in expanse s4 is telling of the "fandom's" lopsidedness and bias