Gauntlet Review

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Graybrew, that was an excellent review, I really enjoyed reading it. And thanks for bringing it out so quickly! :beckettu:

There are a few notes I will come back to, but I wanted to say this to the people who are complaining about the sappy melodrama that covered about the second half of the episode:

It was a show's final episode, for crying out loud! That's what fans who care about the characters want to see. Or have you never watched the last episode of ST:DS9 with the bar scene?

G

Graybrew1

Graybrew, that was an excellent review, I really enjoyed reading it. And thanks for bringing it out so quickly! :beckettu:

There are a few notes I will come back to, but I wanted to say this to the people who are complaining about the sappy melodrama that covered about the second half of the episode:

It was a show's final episode, for crying out loud! That's what fans who care about the characters want to see. Or have you never watched the last episode of ST:DS9 with the bar scene?

Yeah, I see your point.

But you watch it 3 times in a row, and then tell me what you REALLY think. :biggrin:

Red Mage

Boney
Yeah, I see your point.

But you watch it 3 times in a row, and then tell me what you REALLY think. :biggrin:

Although I think it would be hard to watch any TV show episode three times in a row and still remain positive about it even if one actually enjoyed it the first time.

G

Graybrew1

Although I think it would be hard to watch any TV show episode three times in a row and still remain positive about it even if one actually enjoyed it the first time.

It is only my opinion. But the points I made in my review were written from the notes that I did during the first run through. The second and third were to double check facts and specifics.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
a 'video resume' for the actors

One, of several thoughts on the ep, is that those' forced' dramatic scenes (did we really have time for them?:confused:) may have been at the actor's request. Seeing how they were going to be out of a job, maybe they pushed for these 'tender moments' to show more of their acting depth to potentially new casting agents. Just a thought--it was one of the first things that hit me--especially when we see that Park had 'stoned' to Earth.

I thought it was nice to see 'Mr Whiney-guy (Morrison is it?)' finally do something constructive and help get that 'magic ore'.

Someone brought this up elsewhere--of interest is how is it there are precisely enough (broken or not) stasis pods to match up with the remaining crew? This made me think of yet another's post (again, elsewhere) that the Novans--those who escaped Novus via SG--travelled yet even further back in time due to the black hole that entered their system (as happened to the 2nd destiny crew (sun interference) and has happened within SG 'canon'). Once arrived they join with the population of original ancients. This would be post Ori-Alteran split and after those Alterans started SG construction. So, these Novans-now ancients-take measures to ensure that their 21st century 'ancestors':icon_e_surprised: are 'on track' to complete what is now Novan history. The Novans build Destiny with the requisite number of pods (yes I know-the Novan ancestors left before the pod discovery but that doesn't mean they didn't foresee the need--and we know that 'canon'/plotlines can have holes and flaws whenever a writer pleases :icon_e_wink: anyhow) These 'Novan Ancients' would also know of the need (again from their own 'history') for other items like the Antartic Defense chair platform and Atlantis among other things....Anyhoo-just a thought:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One, of several thoughts on the ep, is that those' forced' dramatic scenes (did we really have time for them?:confused:) may have been at the actor's request. Seeing how they were going to be out of a job, maybe they pushed for these 'tender moments' to show more of their acting depth to potentially new casting agents. Just a thought--it was one of the first things that hit me--especially when we see that Park had 'stoned' to Earth.

I thought it was nice to see 'Mr Whiney-guy (Morrison is it?)' finally do something constructive and help get that 'magic ore'.

Someone brought this up elsewhere--of interest is how is it there are precisely enough (broken or not) stasis pods to match up with the remaining crew? This made me think of yet another's post (again, elsewhere) that the Novans--those who escaped Novus via SG--travelled yet even further back in time due to the black hole that entered their system (as happened to the 2nd destiny crew (sun interference) and has happened within SG 'canon'). Once arrived they join with the population of original ancients. This would be post Ori-Alteran split and after those Alterans started SG construction. So, these Novans-now ancients-take measures to ensure that their 21st century 'ancestors':icon_e_surprised: are 'on track' to complete what is now Novan history. The Novans build Destiny with the requisite number of pods (yes I know-the Novan ancestors left before the pod discovery but that doesn't mean they didn't foresee the need--and we know that 'canon'/plotlines can have holes and flaws whenever a writer pleases :icon_e_wink: anyhow) These 'Novan Ancients' would also know of the need (again from their own 'history') for other items like the Antartic Defense chair platform and Atlantis among other things....Anyhoo-just a thought:)

If these Ancients were post Ori then Destiny should be a lot more advanced. In fact, if they had stayed canonical Destiny would have a chair platform, scads of drones and the ability to make more. It probably would also be ZPM powered with the ability on board to make ZPMs. Of course in that event the whole "drone enemy" plot would have flopped as a real Ancient ship would wipe the floor with the drones (indeed so would a SGA canon Daedalus class ship).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Hey yongjin02, Welcome to Gatefans!!
:welcomewagon::welcomewagon::welcomewagon:

Good first post, and I think you are very much onto something here. Pedestination is very much a theme of SGU IMO, and for what it's worth, I think you are on the right track!

G

Graybrew1

Welcome Yongjin02 So great to get your feedback from my review.

I also noticed, but did not want to make my review any loooonger than I already did, LOL the guy that finally did something worthwile instead of just complaining or causing a scene.

Those are interesting ideas about the Novan-Ancients and the number of Stasis pods. I am afraid that probably was not the case , but instead another of the two many conveniences that happened for the crew of Destiny throughout the entire series. That is what really lost me to them, the ep Hope killed it for me. That was just chuck full of those type of things.

Call me cynical , I know. I could totally be wrong. But now we will never know. :facepalm:

S

Stonelesscutter

I liked this episode. The parts you call sappy didn't bother me in the least. It wasn't like in the season 1 episodes Life or Earth. These folks are going into a deepfreeze for at least 3 years, possibly for over a thousand. It's quite natural for people to want to be able to say goodbye to the ones they are close to and about to leave behind. I'm amazed that you didn't catch on to the fact that Park had not been able to see anything for two weeks and may not be able to ever see anything again for the rest of her life. Suddenly being able to see again while in another person's body she visits a place she was probably fond of and spent time in the past so she can remember what it was like. Does anyone remember the scene in ST-TNG where Geordi Laforge wants to see the sunrise when he temporarily is able to see the way normal people do? If every episode were movie-sized then I'm sure the writers would have been better able to touch upon the emotional aspect of the situation but time is limited. I think they did a good job on it. It wasn't too long and not too short and the subject couldn't have been left out because that would have been ridiculous. I hate the friggin' commstones like no-one else but this was well executed.

While everyone seems to have a pick on Eli, I was happy to see he finally came into his own. It took until the very last episode of the show but finally his testicles dropped. Good for him!

The music in this episode was pleasing to me and I thought it fit the atmosphere well. Especially in the last moments of the ep when the lights were switching off sequentially which was by the way brilliantly done.

What I didn't like about this ep was that bullshit about Scott taking away his child from it's mother. That was completely ridiculous. He and the child had never even seen eachother. He's on the other side of the universe for about a year (the kid seemed older by the way) and he knows exactly what's been going on with his ex girlfriend because "she's not a good parent." Give me a break please! Also this came completely out of the blue as it hadn't been mentioned in at least a season and a half.

Another thing I found ridiculous was that they needed some material to fix the stasis pods and then they went to a planet to get it. They came back with a bunch of rocks and asked Brody if he could do something with those. And ofcourse he can. Problem. I haven't seen a friggin' ore processing plant aboard Destiny so far. Apparently Brody MacGyvered one out of a pair of socks he had been wearing for a year a piece of purple fruit and a worn down toothbrush. Also this stuff was supposedly highly toxic yet they brought it aboard Destiny as if it were candy and let people without suits handle it. :facepalm:

All in all I thought it was a good ep. I liked it. It was a fitting end to the show yet it still leaves open possibilities for the future. I'm not experienced with the American grading system but my feeling tells me I should give this episode a B+. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a solid 8.

G

Graybrew1

I liked this episode. The parts you call sappy didn't bother me in the least. It wasn't like in the season 1 episodes Life or Earth. These folks are going into a deepfreeze for at least 3 years, possibly for over a thousand. It's quite natural for people to want to be able to say goodbye to the ones they are close to and about to leave behind. I'm amazed that you didn't catch on to the fact that Park had not been able to see anything for two weeks and may not be able to ever see anything again for the rest of her life. Suddenly being able to see again while in another person's body she visits a place she was probably fond of and spent time in the past so she can remember what it was like. Does anyone remember the scene in ST-TNG where Geordi Laforge wants to see the sunrise when he temporarily is able to see the way normal people do? If every episode were movie-sized then I'm sure the writers would have been better able to touch upon the emotional aspect of the situation but time is limited. I think they did a good job on it. It wasn't too long and not too short and the subject couldn't have been left out because that would have been ridiculous. I hate the friggin' commstones like no-one else but this was well executed.

While everyone seems to have a pick on Eli, I was happy to see he finally came into his own. It took until the very last episode of the show but finally his testicles dropped. Good for him!

The music in this episode was pleasing to me and I thought it fit the atmosphere well. Especially in the last moments of the ep when the lights were switching off sequentially which was by the way brilliantly done.

What I didn't like about this ep was that bullshit about Scott taking away his child from it's mother. That was completely ridiculous. He and the child had never even seen eachother. He's on the other side of the universe for about a year (the kid seemed older by the way) and he knows exactly what's been going on with his ex girlfriend because "she's not a good parent." Give me a break please! Also this came completely out of the blue as it hadn't been mentioned in at least a season and a half.

Another thing I found ridiculous was that they needed some material to fix the stasis pods and then they went to a planet to get it. They came back with a bunch of rocks and asked Brody if he could do something with those. And ofcourse he can. Problem. I haven't seen a friggin' ore processing plant aboard Destiny so far. Apparently Brody MacGyvered one out of a pair of socks he had been wearing for a year a piece of purple fruit and a worn down toothbrush. Also this stuff was supposedly highly toxic yet they brought it aboard Destiny as if it were candy and let people without suits handle it. :facepalm:

All in all I thought it was a good ep. I liked it. It was a fitting end to the show yet it still leaves open possibilities for the future. I'm not experienced with the American grading system but my feeling tells me I should give this episode a B+. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a solid 8.

I have no problems with the difference of opinion on the ep. I thought that besides seeing , Park might actually have a human being she might want to say goodbye to. It felt like a cliche, the now blind chick goes to see once last time again. Just a little forced. I felt a better choice of emotional but not sappy music would have been better. If you want to modernize the show then how about a more modern slow song?

Excellent point about the ore... I never even thought of that.

But the whole Eli part, well you and I might never agree on that one. That is what ruined the ep for me. His character does not deserve the entire show wrapped around him. He is quite frankly not that interesting. But again, that is IMO.

S

Stonelesscutter

That's a very interesting hypothesis you placed there. I like it. :)
Welcome to Gatefans and here's your first green as well.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well, like I said--they were others ideas/thoughts, I just kind of 'fused' them together. It's not that it has to be the 'original intent' of TPTB of SGU, but that something like that could be used as a background for any future endeavors---preferably by a different gang of writers/producers,etc.
Besides, Gatefan1976 seems to agree--and all I need is 1 speck of encouragement then I am off:joy:

G

Graybrew1

well, like I said--they were others ideas/thoughts, I just kind of 'fused' them together. It's not that it has to be the 'original intent' of TPTB of SGU, but that something like that could be used as a background for any future endeavors---preferably by a different gang of writers/producers,etc.
Besides, Gatefan1976 seems to agree--and all I need is 1 speck of encouragement then I am off:joy:

Well, as long as you are here. You will find good quality posters to debate with. GF and I do not always agree, but we don't fight ....right GF? :rolleyes:

S

Stonelesscutter

What do you mean with "then I am off"?

G

Graybrew1

You might want to be sure and check out Joelist review too, His is quite different , but quite good.

S

Stonelesscutter

You might want to be sure and check out Joelist review too, His is quite different , but quite good.

Where is this review you speak of?
I can't find it by browsing the SGU season 2.5 forum.
Is it somewhere in a wrong place?