Gauntlet Review

G

Graybrew1

Gauntlet –Series Finale

Otherwise known as “We’re Screwed “

The scene starts out with TJ taking off Park’s bandages. After a tearful scene, she appears to be really blind.

We then see Wray telling Young to go take a nap. He is about to happily do so when Rush calls him to the Control interface room. Wray follows close behind. Once there Eli informs them that they have found a way to track the command ships that control the drones. When asked how, the genius squad tells them they are now able to isolate the subspace signals the command ships use to communicate with each other. Then they proceed to show Young and Wray that there is a command ship waiting at every gate from here to the edge of the galaxy. This prompts Eli’s first catch phrase of the episode: "We’re screwed".

Young and Rush stone to Earth to go talk to Telford.Telford asks why they don't just go to another planet off the planned route and just gate supplies back. Rush responds that it is like needles in a haystack. It could take months or years in between to find a viable world, and their current food and water will only last about a month. For power, they will be dead before it’s a problem. Telford tells them he couldn’t get any help from other planets in range although Woolsey was giving it his best shot. Telford says he's sorry, but you’re on your own.

Rush has an idea for how to fight the drone ships . He wants to tune up the shields and thereby make the command ships energy attacks meaningless. Also using the element of surprise, they could pick a target, drop out of FTL, and surprise attack. Chloe's calculations drop the FTL right on top of a command ship, and Destiny scrapes their hull. They are now immune to the energy weapons, but the drones start flying suicide missions into Destiny causing a lot of damage. Now it is leaking power from a dozen systems all around the ship.

Small scene between Chloe and TJ starting first about Park’s blindness and then TJ’s ALS diagnosis. TJ is more than a little bitter and states “Sometimes you have to play the hand you are Dealt.” Chloe tries to play pep squad cheerleader, but she is not buying it.

Eli state the obvious to Rush: we can’t trick the drones again. Rush basically agrees.

Eli tells Young about his brilliant self proclaimed genius idea to skip the Galaxy and put everyone in stasis pods. If it’s done right, they will all be fine in 3 years, if wrong could be 1000 years longer or never. They decide to do it. They start to put people in Pods. Goodbye Varro! :icon_e_sad: Varro says see you soon to TJ. And looks at her longingly.

Unfortunately, there's a problem with 8 of the stasis pods. Park comes up with a plan to get to planet that has the material needed to fix the eight pods. Young likes the idea. She explains the decoy idea in detail and it actually allows each character on the science squad to have valuable input. “Good work, Dr. Park” :tealc_new049:

They proceed with the plan. They send out the signal they are using to trick the command ship and then when it does work they send the shuttle as a decoy.

Eli’s second catch phrase……."Let’s hope they take the bait".

The mission is successful, with a good amount of suspense during scenes with some cool scientific jargon thrown about. They get the chemical they needed to repair the 8 stasis pods.

Lots of goodbye scenes through stones for all. (there was so much syrup I now have diabetes). Complete with horrible sappy music laid on so heavy it made me sick to my stomach. A lot of hugs all around And Park goes and looks at a picturesque scene. Don’t know where her special person is? Scott decides not to take the son he does not know away from his mother. Wray can’t see her Girlfriend and tells her to move on. Chloe hugs mom.

The crew have a last dinner together. Young calls Rush a crazy uncle that always pulls through for you and says they are family, they have a toast.

Many more people leave. Young nods goodbye to TJ. He says more to Greer and Wray.
Young stones to earth and Telford and Young kiss and make up. Telford states “We are not giving up on you. “

All of sudden, again, they realize that now 1 stasis pod is broken. Not sure how when they were fixing the remaining 8, they didn’t realize one of them was not really fixed. They explain it, but it is a ridiculous excuse.

Rush offers to be the one to stay behind to try and fix it. Young says “No” because he does not trust him. Eli offers to do it, and he tells young….

Eli’s third catch phrase…. I am smarter then him, and all three of you know it. :facepalm:

Eli and Rush have a conversation. Rush knew that Young would not trust him and had hoped that Young would have stayed out. Rush wanted Eli to survive because they will need him when they get out. Rush sings Eli’s praises the Rush way and says Eli has tremendous potential and no longer a video game slacker. (He's a real man, now! UGH!)

Rush goes into stasis pod. More sappy music. Bro hugs with Eli and Young. :rolleyes:

Lights all over the ship go out. Last scene with Eli standing on the observation deck with the sappy music but really cool pretty CGI of the Universe. Eli smiles and then looks concerned.
Scene of the Destiny flying in space until too small to see.

End scene. End show.

Pros:
Finally saw some true teamwork with these people. There actually was some good suspense during some of the battle filled scenes. I like that Varro showed genuine individual concern for TJ and Young only treated her like any other. No big forced love scene between TJ and Young, because they have no chemistry. The admittedly less interesting characters were kept pretty much in the background. Not much of Scott or Telford. The overall storyline made sense. They ran into problems, figured them out and proceeded to fix them.

Cons:
It felt like the Eli show. He even seemed to have catch phrases. Eli’s great idea, Eli’s great sacrifice. Eli’s growing up. (ooh his mom is proud, how sweet... bleah!) Who cares? My other big problems the mention of Scott taking away the boy felt thrown in from left field. Young seemingly handed the wife Emily over to Telford without much thought. Wray told her Girlfriend to move on. Park looked at a, well park, no emotional connection for her at all. So for a show built around emotional connections it made little sense. (These scenes were all too quick and too forced, too "planned out", like all the "drama" on SGU. Instead of real drama, it was sappy melodrama.)

Conclusion: This could have been a much better episode if the writer’s did not try to center it too much round the Eli character. And then there is the bittersweet fact that this is the last episode for the entire franchise with nothing more yet planned and yet it still ended with a cliffhanger rather than giving us any feeling of closure. Instead we have a partial ending just enough that we most definitely will never see anything on SGU again. That is why in my opinion, the subtitle of this episode should have been Eli’s first catch phrase “We’re Screwed” :roll:

Overall , I did still give it a C. Because I personally felt the teamwork aspect was diminished by Eli's all knowing greatness.

Please feel free to ask me if you have any lingering questions.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good review. The Eli "demigod" angle was once I had noted but kind of mentally filed away. Your expansion on it was a good catch.

Your "syrupy" parts where in my review I said it degenerated into a Harlequin romance novel.

All in all, SGU is over and the SG franchise is in limbo. Hopefully if and when the franchise is rebooted the parties involved leasrn from the SGU fiasco.

G

Graybrew1

Good review. The Eli "demigod" angle was once I had noted but kind of mentally filed away. Your expansion on it was a good catch.

Your "syrupy" parts where in my review I said it degenerated into a Harlequin romance novel.

All in all, SGU is over and the SG franchise is in limbo. Hopefully if and when the franchise is rebooted the parties involved leasrn from the SGU fiasco.

The "Eli show" is what really ruined the ep for me. I am almost immune to the sap factor. It was much worse that the show could have been a lot better had they just removed those two aspects of it. Which I believe could have been done quite easily.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
"Park looked at a, well park..."

I agree, this episode was too much "The Eli Show" and was far too saccharin in parts.

I think the forced melodrama is a result of the fact that the show was simply too ambitious and crowded from the start -- and needlessly so. That is reflected in the fact that they crammed so much stupid emotional crap in the last half hour. It's like they were racing to tie up loose ends. If they didn't have all that junk cluttering up the show at the very beginning they wouldn't have had to deal with it at the end.

And the more I think about it the more I'm convinced they knew they were cancelled for good. It was too weird to be a season ender that's for sure.

Good review. :beckettu:

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Excellent review! There isn't enough insulin in the world to counteract the syrupy melodrama in that episode. Yeesh. Eli = Wesley Crusher, complete with a proud mommy.

I'm glad it's dead.

G

Graybrew1

I agree, this episode was too much "The Eli Show" and was far too saccharin in parts.

I think the forced melodrama is a result of the fact that the show was simply too ambitious and crowded from the start -- and needlessly so. That is reflected in the fact that they crammed so much stupid emotional crap in the last half hour. It's like they were racing to tie up loose ends. If they didn't have all that junk cluttering up the show at the very beginning they wouldn't have had to deal with it at the end.

And the more I think about it the more I'm convinced they knew they were cancelled for good. It was too weird to be a season ender that's for sure.

Good review. :beckettu:

Yes, this is exactly what I was afraid of. They closed it out like Caprica, it came almost off as a series finale, but not quite enough closure they you are not driven nuts by a million unanswered questions. I have alot more about the overall series itself too, but I thought I would leave those to the reviewers for the entire series.

G

Graybrew1

Excellent review! There isn't enough insulin in the world to counteract the syrupy melodrama in that episode. Yeesh. Eli = Wesley Crusher, complete with a proud mommy.

I'm glad it's dead.

I left you plenty of elbow room for your overall series review , tried not to step on any toes there. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good review!

This was a great review! Although I thought the episode was the best in the show, I agree with most of your observations. I also get the "Eli Show" reference, but that is mitigated for me by the knowledge that Eli was perceived/conceived by TPTB as an "avatar for the audience" (which would be geeky slackers living in mom's basement). He needed to be made into a hero to REALLY hook that huge untapped audience which was supposed to flock to this show...but didnt.

I really think that a season 3 would have been horrendous. But for the ending of this show, it was fitting. What I dont like is that they arent all DEAD. What if....what if years from now Brad somehow finds a way to revive them? :confused:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This was a great review! Although I thought the episode was the best in the show, I agree with most of your observations. I also get the "Eli Show" reference, but that is mitigated for me by the knowledge that Eli was perceived/conceived by TPTB as an "avatar for the audience" (which would be geeky slackers living in mom's basement). He needed to be made into a hero to REALLY hook that huge untapped audience which was supposed to flock to this show...but didnt.

I really think that a season 3 would have been horrendous. But for the ending of this show, it was fitting. What I dont like is that they arent all DEAD. What if....what if years from now Brad somehow finds a way to revive them? :confused:

Well, they could be revived but have been mentally reprogrammed while in stasis to be more like actual, likeable people and not so soapy. You know, Destiny's AI gives everyone a minimum of one positive character trait.

Red Mage

Boney
Well, they could be revived but have been mentally reprogrammed while in stasis to be more like actual, likeable people and not so soapy. You know, Destiny's AI gives everyone a minimum of one positive character trait.

Similar to cryo-stasis from Demolition Man :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I'm glad it's dead.
I concur..it was a great review GB!!! :beckettu: Never liked Wesley and now Eli is in the same annoying sap category! I find it a fitting end that everyone but eli (the audience) is in stasis...stargate is in stasis, but audience moves on! :P

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I'm gonna have to agree with Graybrew's assessment of the episode. The drawn out end of the episode with the overly saccharin stuff on Earth combined with the two "not enough pods" bits really sucked the life out of it. That whole "family" bit lacked emotional weight because the characters never really had too many true team moments to show the bond that's needed for such a statement to work. Like OM1, I knew Eli was designed to be the fan avatar character, so I knew why he was in the episode so much, but I felt that the end might have had some more weight if it had been Rush who had stayed out of the pods, plus it would've been an easier setup to get rid of the character for the hypothetical season 3 that existed in the minds of TPTB.

I will say that the tour of the ship with everything shutting down before going to the scene of Destiny flying off into the distance was a good mirror of the opening of the pilot and a tasteful way of bookending things for the series.

G

Graybrew1

Thanks Guys, I just watched it three times. And wrote down what hit me. :biggrin: I might have been a tad bias, because I was greatly let down by the show since the Hope ep. Still very sad to lose SG. :(

G

Graybrew1

Wow, you guys gave me so much green for this! I am now wondering how many points do I need to get the fifth one? :P

You guys are the best. :biggrin:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Less worried about doing one for SPN now my dear :)