Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I dunno if they should remove Citizen Z from his position of surveillance. I like the fact they they have this all-seeing hawk looking out for them, in a manner of speaking. Citizen Z toting a gun walking the country side with the rest of them won't really add anything to the series.

Maybe he somehow ends up in another military facility? That way he could still remain an "eye in the sky".

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe he somehow ends up in another military facility? That way he could still remain an "eye in the sky".

That could also be. It was time to bring him in from Northern Light but that does not mean he cannot wind up somewhere else (like NORAD).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I dunno if they should remove Citizen Z from his position of surveillance. I like the fact they they have this all-seeing hawk looking out for them, in a manner of speaking. Citizen Z toting a gun walking the country side with the rest of them won't really add anything to the series.

They need to throw a machina in there and have him "become aware of" a base in the states which is equipped the same way as the Arctic base and have him set up shop there. Perhaps in the desert? Maybe underwater off the coast?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Of course it is! Z Nation performs well in the ratings and has a budget cheaper than dirt. It also helps that it is a good show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Z Nation Season Three premiered Friday with a 2 hour "movie". Apparently it is based a bit in the past so you see some characters that have passed on but has in it the seeds of the overarching story for this season. Once I see it on DVR I can comment in more detail, but yay! Z Nation is back!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Z Nation Season Three premiered Friday with a 2 hour "movie". Apparently it is based a bit in the past so you see some characters that have passed on but has in it the seeds of the overarching story for this season. Once I see it on DVR I can comment in more detail, but yay! Z Nation is back!

I really need to catch up on this show! I still miss Cassandra! I really liked her character, as much as Murphy or even moreso.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, Z Nation opened with a two hour flashback episode set near the beginning of last season (so we get Cassandra in it) but it also has in it new characters we will see in Season Three.

How was it?

This was VERY well made. It is really hard to believe that this was made by The Asylum (home of horrible mock busters). The acting is good and even the new characters who don't survive you manage to connect with. The story is shades of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" and executed well.

Like I said upthread - Z Nation is back!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And the next episode was also really good. We learned a LOT of stuff, so much that trying to discuss it would be spoilery on a large scale. Suffice it to say we dropped one character from last season and picked up a few new ones. Also, it looks like we have parallel threads running this season and both of them were set up and started moving.

Z Nation so far this season also feels just a little more polished, and seeing as it was a really good show already that is noteworthy.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Have you caught up OM?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, this is getting interesting!

They are still following three parallel plots but they have definitely steered things in a different direction from the end of last season. Murphy is becoming what they portended in Season One (king of the hybrids) and he is managing to be both creepy but still Murphy and it is cool. Meanwhile the rest of the group is trying to capture him and also Citizen Z is dealing with arctic survival and helping an Inuit family who are out of food.

Credit given where due - they had played out the California lab plot last season and so this season they have reinvented themselves and it is fun to watch.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Wow!

You know how The Walking Dead and especially its awful offspring Fear the Walking Dead like to TALK like they go to really dark places? Well, Z Nation just actually went to a couple of really dark places. And did it very well I will say.

The episode was well acted, scripted and directed. Specific shout outs to Keith Allan as Murphy, Kellita Smith as Warren and Emilio Rivera as Hector (Escorpion). They all did VERY serious work and did it well. So far this season Z Nation is showing the chops to not just be always tounge in cheek but also to handle really dark and serious stuff well.

If only the showrunners of The Walking Dead had these skills....

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It has literally been a couple of years since I watched The Walking Dead, and I do not plan to revisit it. But I do want to catch up on this show. Fear The Walking Dead has gone off the rails, but I may catch up on that too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You won't be disappointed. So far Z Nation has kept the quality up and really this show is what The Walking Dead should have been.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And...another dark but good episode. This one focused on 10K and also on Murphy's reaction to the events of the last episode. It also showed us another potentially disturbing effect of Murphy's evolving condition:

It seems that if Murphy consumes the brain of a recently deceased person he acquires some of their knowledge

Good acting again and pacing too. The one and only thing I miss from last season is the humor - but I have to assume that is coming soon.