Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And this week we got a Doc centric episode. And a pretty good one too that touches on what he did prior to the apocalypse. As befits Doc we also got some humor back, but the tone of the episode was still serious. And again acting was good and the plot was cogent, with good pacing.

OM really needs to get caught back up on the show - this season has been kind of a tour de force for both cast and directors.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A bit more humor this week but also a REALLY strange episode. Murphy is changing more (in terms of the virus) and his recent discovery that:

He picks up some of the intellect of people when he eats their brains soon after death

Has really influenced his behavior.

We also checked back in on Citizen Z who is back on the air with the aid of an Inuit family who are good characters (particularly the daughter who is becoming his love interest).

We also reconnected with the villain from the two hour movie they started the season with, and this is one twisted guy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A bit more humor this week but also a REALLY strange episode. Murphy is changing more (in terms of the virus) and his recent discovery that:

He picks up some of the intellect of people when he eats their brains soon after death

Has really influenced his behavior.

We also checked back in on Citizen Z who is back on the air with the aid of an Inuit family who are good characters (particularly the daughter who is becoming his love interest).

We also reconnected with the villain from the two hour movie they started the season with, and this is one twisted guy.

Wow, lots of good stuff there! I still have not caught up. I have been caught up with moving and commuting and reconfiguring my life, so I have not had much time to chill out and participate here as much, or watch TV. Now, I am back and things are settling down again. I will catch up soon!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You moved? Where to? Maybe time for a "what's been up with OM" update?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You moved? Where to? Maybe time for a "what's been up with OM" update?
I now live in Long Beach CA. Alamitos Beach about 4 blocks from the beach again. But Long Beach is a green hipsterish city. It is a port city as opposed to a beach town. Median age is around 40 instead of 60. Art museums and bikes and craft beer pubs and stuff. A city as opposed to a town. Love it so far!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And we had another semi-comical installment. Still with serious components but with a really nice comic turn by the pair of con men who last season were entertaining in the episode that was a riff on "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". It also took some pointed shots at US politics but mostly it was our friendly duo of con artists getting into trouble.

This of course shows us something else Z Nation has that The Walking Dead does not - likable characters. In this case not just Doc and Addy (the episode featured them) but also the con artists. As Tripler said - this show is actually fun.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....back to the dark and almost brutal feel of a couple of early season episode. We had one cast member from last season die and another one "die". Plus Warren is gearing up to fight Murphy's army of "blends". This is a very well done season so far. They have managed to strike a more somber tone overall without losing the goofiness in places that made Z Nation what it is.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So....where do you go for a show that freely mixes "Little Orphan Annie" with "Apocalypse Now"? To Z Nation of course!

Bizarre episode but also fun - unlike The Fanwanking Dead which never has figured out how to advance their plot (which they never do) while being entertaining. Interesting that the super low budget Z Nation has done it effortlessly from day one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And, if you thought last week was weird this week made it look positively normal!

It was a Doc centric episode and boy was it strange. Good, funny in places but really weird too, which is what Z Nation excels at.You can tell they are framing up the season finale which will almost certainly be the war against Murphy and his army of blends.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now you need to catch up on Z Nation OM!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's the one! Managed to be a bit sick and a hoot at the same time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And...the big war came off and contrary to expectations....

Murphy beats Warren pretty badly and easily

Very entertaining episode that sets up a different season finale than expected. Great acting especially by Keith Allan (Murphy) and Kellita Smith (Warren). This episode was largely about their fight both physically and philosophically and both shone. And you have got to see Murphy's new "look" :icon_rotflmao:

This whole season has been tightly written and well acted. darker toned but not navel gazing like The Fanwanking Dead. And, Z Nation has been renewed for Season Four!

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Since Z Nation has been renewed for a fourth season, why did major characters jump off a cliff like that? Did they suddenly learn how to fly?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is Z Nation - they are no stranger to bizarre season ending cliffhangers. I'm sure they will resolve it in a strange way like always.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now that I am back in the USA I got to watch the season finale.

Weird but good.

It not only pulled all the plot threads together, but also left everyone in a similar position to where they were at the end of Season One in that virtually everyone is in imminent risk of death. I can't wait to see what Season Four brings.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guess what's on the horizon:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hey OM, did you ever get caught up?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A Z Nation trailer is now on SyFy - sounds like September 9 is the Season 4 premiere.