Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Fun finale. Definitely cliffhanger again but also wrapped up some plots. I want to see where it goes from here.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I suppose that that is no less realistic than zombies themselves. One of the things that make Z Nation special is that there is a minimum of unrealistic or unscientific plot elements outside of the zombies themselves.

I agree but, when they do something that is utterly impossible, they go way overboard and not in a manner that is ignorant but in a manner that is hilarious and purposefully cheesy. :icon_lol:

When we see a head in TWD making vocal noises, it's cringe-worthy, only because TWD takes itself too seriously as an uber-drama. Z Nation doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree but, when they do something that is utterly impossible, they go way overboard and not in a manner that is ignorant but in a manner that is hilarious and purposefully cheesy. :icon_lol:

When we see a head in TWD making vocal noises, it's cringe-worthy, only because TWD takes itself too seriously as an uber-drama. Z Nation doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Exactly. This show is a lot of fun BECAUSE they do stuff like the Doctor's head. They also deliberately set up conventional tropes (like babies with super powers) and then proceed to make fun of the trope. It flips back and forth from gritty drama to cheesy silliness with gleeful abandon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope. They have more or less resolved the California lab storyline so it will be interesting to see where it goes this season.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nope. They have more or less resolved the California lab storyline so it will be interesting to see where it goes this season.

I kinda like that they have finished the mission of getting to CA because that leaves a whole new world to explore now. I wonder if they will continue the Citizen Z story line though. I mean, it made some sense at first but it seems to be fairly separate from the other story line now.

Bluce Ree

I stopped watching this, but not for any particular reason. Perhaps I will catch up, I loved this show. I think I stopped when you guys told me Cassandra was killed off. I stopped just before that episode and have not seen it or anything afterward. Is Murphy full zombie now?

Murphy is a hybrid. He's not turning into a zombie.

Bluce Ree

I kinda like that they have finished the mission of getting to CA because that leaves a whole new world to explore now. I wonder if they will continue the Citizen Z story line though. I mean, it made some sense at first but it seems to be fairly separate from the other story line now.

I don't see how they could continue it much longer unless he finds another installation. He's alone in the Arctic.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't see how they could continue it much longer unless he finds another installation. He's alone in the Arctic.

I suspect they didn't write a long story arch for Citizen Z because they didn't know if the show would last or not. And the problem now is that his story and the other one are becoming more disconnected. So either they will find a way to fly him out of the Arctic to join the others or he will locate another base of operations such as a submarine or something like that. That's just speculation on my part admittedly.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying they should get rid of Citizen Z. I just think they need to find a way to get the two story lines connected again.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They already have begun that process when, at the end of last season, he left the NSA post and started a trek out of the arctic area.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
They already have begun that process when, at the end of last season, he left the NSA post and started a trek out of the arctic area.

That's right. I forgot. :beckett_new049:

Bluce Ree

You realize what "trek out of the arctic area" entails on foot with no supplies, right? :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On Z Nation? He did see someone approaching before passing out so for all we know he will eventually join the rest of the gang.

Bluce Ree

On Z Nation? He did see someone approaching before passing out so for all we know he will eventually join the rest of the gang.

Well, ok, I admit I completely suspend disbelief for this show because I love it exactly the way it is. However, asking me to give up geography as well is asking too much. It becomes a cartoon at that point.

They can drive to China in a school bus in a couple hours on South Park. Just don't do that on Z Nation.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I understand that. I was just thinking that assuming he met a friendly person that eventually he might wind up back in the states. After all Northern Light is likely on an island in northern Canada.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, ok, I admit I completely suspend disbelief for this show because I love it exactly the way it is. However, asking me to give up geography as well is asking too much. It becomes a cartoon at that point.

They can drive to China in a school bus in a couple hours on South Park. Just don't do that on Z Nation.
Oh I understand that. I was just thinking that assuming he met a friendly person that eventually he might wind up back in the states. After all Northern Light is likely on an island in northern Canada.

That's why I think they will somehow get him on a plane (or something) and he will end up within the proximity of the others. They might take the entire season to make it happen, but eventually it should play out that way. Otherwise I don't see a reason to keep the two story lines going. They got Murphy to CA and that was pretty much the extent of Citizen Z's orders that needed to be carried out. So now he's something of a free agent so to speak.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I suspect they didn't write a long story arch for Citizen Z because they didn't know if the show would last or not. And the problem now is that his story and the other one are becoming more disconnected. So either they will find a way to fly him out of the Arctic to join the others or he will locate another base of operations such as a submarine or something like that. That's just speculation on my part admittedly.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying they should get rid of Citizen Z. I just think they need to find a way to get the two story lines connected again.

They lost their opportunity when the nuke went off in season 2. They could have killed him off, but he is a great character and they need to bring him south,

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And they started the process of bringing him in at the close of Season Two.

Bluce Ree

And they started the process of bringing him in at the close of Season Two.

I dunno if they should remove Citizen Z from his position of surveillance. I like the fact they they have this all-seeing hawk looking out for them, in a manner of speaking. Citizen Z toting a gun walking the country side with the rest of them won't really add anything to the series.