What Was the Last Thing You Ate/Drank

G

Graybrew1

I live a low carb lifestyle, but I have a cheat day on Friday. I have found that I dont even WANT to cheat! I eat only unprocessed or slightly processed foods (whole grain flour). I drink zero carb sodas like Rockstar Zero, lots of fruit and a few supplements daily. :)

This sounds like a great idea! Too bad it's not Friday.

G

Graybrew1

have you tried quinoa? do you have a trader joe's nearby? they sell interesting "blends" of grains like spelt, quinoa, etc...that are quite good and give great change from the same-old-same-old! or a whole foods? they are a great place to find interesting things to cook. :) I'm not into "organic" cooking- I just enjoy trying new products/recipes and both fo these stores have a wider variety than is found at your average gorcery store. :) Whole Foods can be a bit pricey, but Trader Joe's is very reasonable. :)
We are doing a garden this summer (ok we always do one!) but I admit after seeing the prices and lack of quality of veggies this year I am REALLY looking forward to my fresh produce! :D

I will have to look. We don't have any Whole Foods around here. But I think there are some Trader Joe's. I like the idea of different type of whole grains. I like wheat , but sometimes you just want something different. We also have a garden every year. Every try growing Swiss Chard? It is alittle bitter,but supposed to be very good for you. Cover it in garlic and it hides most of the bitterness.

G

Graybrew1

EXACTLY. Im over FIFTY, but I look like Im in my 30s :). Low carb, high protein and very VERY few processed foods. Your body responds by balancing itself and slimming down naturally. The thought of eating sugary stuff and high carb foods makes me sleeeeepy. :(

Since I eat similar, and I am over forty , can I look like I'm in my twenties? LOL. Not, I only wish. But I agree, alot of people my age I know, don't eat healthy and tend to look alot older.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I will have to look. We don't have any Whole Foods around here. But I think there are some Trader Joe's. I like the idea of different type of whole grains. I like wheat , but sometimes you just want something different. We also have a garden every year. Every try growing Swiss Chard? It is alittle bitter,but supposed to be very good for you. Cover it in garlic and it hides most of the bitterness.

Trader joe's is one of my fave stores-- they sell a decent olive oil rather cheaply and their arborio rice makes perfect risotto! their broths are excellent as well- MSG free too!
We grow leafy greens every year- lettuces, swiss chard and spinach. Garlic covers many sins! ;) I find if you pick and use the veggies the same day they taste so much better- in swiss chard the bitterness seems to build up the longer it is between picking and eating. :( We also grow tomatoes galore. i ahve a herb garden too that makes cooking a delight. :)

G

Graybrew1

Trader joe's is one of my fave stores-- they sell a decent olive oil rather cheaply and their arborio rice makes perfect risotto! their broths are excellent as well- MSG free too!
We grow leafy greens every year- lettuces, swiss chard and spinach. Garlic covers many sins! ;) I find if you pick and use the veggies the same day they taste so much better- in swiss chard the bitterness seems to build up the longer it is between picking and eating. :( We also grow tomatoes galore. i ahve a herb garden too that makes cooking a delight. :)

I have to admit, I help pick out the seeds and enjoy the rewards, but the hubby actually is the major green thumb. Yes, I have noticed that about swiss chards before too, It is a good thing I love garlic!

Red Mage

Boney
you reheat pizza????????? oh gee, guess it takes all types. Cold is the only way to eat Pizza the day after! ;)

Depends on the time of day. In the morning, cold pizza is the only way to go. In the afternoon or evening, I will reheat pizza in my oven. It's definately not as good as the first time around but it comes out better than any frozen pizza I could buy in the store. A microwave is an absolute no-no.

I generally despise chain pizza but I have to admit that I love eating at "Rays" when I go to NY. Surely you've heard of it. Good, thin crust. Mmmm!

If I have pizza at home I generally make it from scratch as I can do a much better job than any frozen or carry out version. And yes, I like the thin crust. I can't stand "deep dish" pizza as it's like getting a loaf of soggy, warm bread dough.

And don't get me going about those abominations from the carry out joints. :puke:
The reason they don't reheat well is that they are crap to begin with. I doubt they even use real cheese on those things. A friend of mine used to live around the corner from a Little Ceasars carry out and he'd get the $5 ones all the time. I refused to eat them they looked so bad. He wouldn't bother reheating what was left because it turned out like soggy cardboard he said. Nasty, just nasty!

Rays? Which one? There's dozens of pizzerias with the name Ray in it for some reason. I've eaten at a few Ray's some good and one not so good. I don't live in NYC so I don't go there all that often just for business or entertainment. I usually will just pick a pizza place when walking through Manhattan. I'll look for a store that has a fairly sizable line at lunchtime, meaning its probably good and take a chance.

I agree with the thick crust vs thin crust. Thin pizza all the way. Thick crust pizza even from a good NY pizzeria is usually gross imo. I'll eat chain pizza on occasion but Bertucci's is the only chain pizza that I would actually rank above merely decent.

I tried making pizza at home a few times but I can't get the sauce or crust down right like at good NY pizzeria so I'll mainly just order in.

Dinner for tonight: Chicken enchiladas with rice and refried beans. Berry propel water.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
For dinner today: chicken sallad with some tasty dressing and black & redcurrant juice to wash it down (all homemade of course).

Super Moderator
To quote O'Neill: Oh, somebody's getting a bit full of himself...

:P

G

Graybrew1

For dinner today: chicken sallad with some tasty dressing and black & redcurrant juice to wash it down (all homemade of course).

I have never heard of that, it it good?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Ya think!? (in my best O'Neill imitation :D)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
made sweet & sour chicken (yes from scratch) with rice. a friend brought dessert and we gabbed for ages it seemed! :) My daddy always said a meal was better if accompanied by some good conversation. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Depends on the pizza. If it's a calzone I think it's much better to reheat it because the cheese should be nice and melted.

oooh I love calzones...hot and delicious. maybe I'll make some friday night......

G

Graybrew1

made sweet & sour chicken (yes from scratch) with rice. a friend brought dessert and we gabbed for ages it seemed! :) My daddy always said a meal was better if accompanied by some good conversation. :D

Agreed. My favorite is the vegetarian Budha's Delight at out local Potsticker's , they actually have brown rice. I never cook, my husband, used to be a chef, so I am spoiled. LOL

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I have never heard of that, it it good?

Firstly, I'd like to clarify that I'm talking about squash, not juice. I directly translated its name in Swedish to English and that doesn't really work. I was tried so I didn't really think clearly.

Anyway, it depends on where you get it from. Over here in little 'ol Sweden the stores only sell blackcurrant squash, so we make our own by using the black & redcurrants that grow in our backyard. I may be a little biased, but I think it turns out great.

G

Graybrew1

Firstly, I'd like to clarify that I'm talking about squash, not juice. I directly translated its name in Swedish to English and that doesn't really work. I was tried so I didn't really think clearly.

Anyway, it depends on where you get it from. Over here in little 'ol Sweden the stores only sell blackcurrant squash, so we make our own by using the black & redcurrants that grow in our backyard. I may be a little biased, but I think it turns out great.

It sounds interesting. I always like to try new and different things.

Tonight I had:

A chicken sandwich on whole wheat thin bread with fresh spinach and weight watcher's pepper jack cheese and baked cheese curls with red wine. Because IT IS FRIDAY!