What about 2011 Stargate: Extinction?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I disagree - the biggest issue people had with Atlantis was that it never got a proper ending. The fans of both shows deserve a proper ending to the story they've invested 5 and 2 years in respectively. And I truly believe Brad thought an Atlantis movie would be coming which, based on SG1 sales, would lead to more. Those sets were not left up for fun.

SGA never got a proper ending and there was still life left in the beast. This is NOT the case with SGU.

We've argued before about what a "proper ending" for SGU would be or if it even deserves it (I maintain it does not), so let's not get too bogged down in that debate. Rather, let's concentrate on the difference between marketability for the two shows, respectively. There's absolutely no question that there was still gas in the tank when SGA was ended at the five season mark. Compare this to SGU which isn't even able to make it two whole seasons without getting canceled.

As for BW, it's clear his energies were put into SGU and the SGA movie was something he barely paid lip service to at first, then it was completely dropped from his lexicon. The SGA sets remained for about a year but then were quietly disposed of. Telling? Me thinks it tis. Funny how BW had no problem bringing the subject up about more SGA the moment he realized that SGU was failing and he suddenly needed all those disgruntled SGA fans for support, isn't it? Kind of hard to believe him sincere about a proper ending to SGA when virtually nothing of SGA remained, not even his verbal support.

Or Enterprise could happen again. A new producer eager to make their mark on a franchise made famous by somebody else. That's my concern, somebody else won't be content keeping the status quo of Stargate for much longer and SGU has proved Stargate can only be the SG1 template. It's not something I agree with but that's just where Stargate is at the moment - it stayed as one thing for too long.

Just because you're afraid that someone else's version of Stargate might be a failure that isn't a reason to run screaming into the night. Change happens, you can't stop it. Someone younger and eager to use the newer technologies will probably change the concept enough that some old fans won't like it. That's just how it is. Wishing that reality won't "happen" is a waste of time. As the old saying goes "Wish in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Exactly!

this great guy just killed successful franchise creating his conceited sgu project so I can't call him great guy.Sure he made what SG became thank to SG1 and Atlantis even if he left this one earlier leaving reigns to JM to get time for working on sgu.
So by now SG franchise just became worse thank to him so he is not key man anymore. SG need new producers in charge.

Vous avez raison! :shepclap:

("You are correct!")

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
We've argued before about what a "proper ending" for SGU would be or if it even deserves it (I maintain it does not), so let's not get too bogged down in that debate. Rather, let's concentrate on the difference between marketability for the two shows, respectively. There's absolutely no question that there was still gas in the tank when SGA was ended at the five season mark. Compare this to SGU which isn't even able to make it two whole seasons without getting canceled.

Here's my realisation for the ending. Two hours is plenty for a story to be told. If they got a couple it's more than enough time to do it. Films tell epic stories despite their running time, they just have to avoid getting bogged down in the chloe/scott crap/dwelling on moments that should be just that (moments) crap that got that got the show cancelled.

Universe JUST ended. While its audience is more limited I think it would still sell enough to make a tidy profit. This is the DVD market, you put Carlyle, Stargate and Lou Diamond Phillips on a box and there's your marketing. It's not exactly the ideal way but it keeps those Universe fans happy (i.e me) and avoids another Atlantis situation.
With Atlantis I think we are looking at a SERIES of movies because people are going to buy more. That stuff works on the market, no two ways around it.

Just because you're afraid that someone else's version of Stargate might be a failure that isn't a reason to run screaming into the night. Change happens, you can't stop it. Someone younger and eager to use the newer technologies will probably change the concept enough that some old fans won't like it. That's just how it is. Wishing that reality won't "happen" is a waste of time. As the old saying goes "Wish in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first".

I see what your saying but it kind of contradicts what you said before. Atlantis still has life left in it. SG1 still has life left in it. Universe (marketability aside) still has a story to tell.

Brad Wright's Stargate canon is far from empty, there's 3 parts of the franchise I still want to see more of. Getting rid of him will be the final end to any chance of more Stargate. And if the reboot goes wrong, that really could be the death blow for more Stargate for an extremely long time.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You're still holding on to erroneous concepts

Here's my realisation for the ending. Two hours is plenty for a story to be told. If they got a couple it's more than enough time to do it. Films tell epic stories despite their running time, they just have to avoid getting bogged down in the chloe/scott crap/dwelling on moments that should be just that (moments) crap that got that got the show cancelled.

We're going in circles here. You're trying to drag me into a discussion about an ending for SGU when we both know it's pointless. I've explained this to you before but you refuse to believe what I'm saying.

What you have just suggested is not an ending for SGU. The "chloe/scott crap/dwelling on moments that should be just that (moments) crap that got that got the show cancelled" is SGU. What you are fantasizing about is an episode of SG-1 or SGA with the moniker "SGU", that's all. SGU is defined by its nature and that nature is of a soap opera; those crappy "moments" aren't just moments, they are the show.

Universe JUST ended. While its audience is more limited I think it would still sell enough to make a tidy profit. This is the DVD market, you put Carlyle, Stargate and Lou Diamond Phillips on a box and there's your marketing. It's not exactly the ideal way but it keeps those Universe fans happy (i.e me) and avoids another Atlantis situation.
With Atlantis I think we are looking at a SERIES of movies because people are going to buy more. That stuff works on the market, no two ways around it.

Again, pointless to get bogged down in arguing this point. From what I understand the DVD sales have been lackluster for SGU. I don't think anyone would invest in an SGU movie when they consider the low TV ratings and the low DVD sales to date. Granted, no one knows how the remaining episodes will rate nor how the style and tone may change. If SGU slides more towards the action/adventure of SG-1 or SGA that could help your cause to see a movie finale. But something like that would be very awkward in terms of believability. They've spent so much time with this soap opera crap and then to suddenly switch it up seems very cynical in a way. I mean, think about it Yoshi, if they change the tone and style of SGU it wouldn't be the same show you are rooting for, would it?

I see what your saying but it kind of contradicts what you said before. Atlantis still has life left in it. SG1 still has life left in it. Universe (marketability aside) still has a story to tell.
No contradiction on my part. I was referring to the show being able to make a return on investment. SG-1 and SGA are proven winners in this regard while SGU clearly isn't. It is about marketability and that can't be ignored. No offense Yoshi but your appreciation for SGU isn't enough to make it worthwhile to spend money on to produce and there just isn't enough people like you to merit that investment. I know you think it could be profitable, but I don't think that's an objective viewpoint based on the current ratings and low DVD sales. I think the idea is to do more than break even or make a small profit but rather to make a healthy profit. But hey, never say never. ;) A famous singer whose heyday has passed once said "A lot of little money eventually becomes big money" in regards to residuals she was getting for work she did years earlier. If BW is able to finagle some financing for an SGU finale then it might eventually bring in some money depending how and where it's marketed of course. The old saying of "There's one born every minute" would probably be apropos in this case though. ;)

Brad Wright's Stargate canon is far from empty, there's 3 parts of the franchise I still want to see more of. Getting rid of him will be the final end to any chance of more Stargate. And if the reboot goes wrong, that really could be the death blow for more Stargate for an extremely long time.

I don't think it would be an extremely long time, but it could be a couple years. The Stargate concept is just too popular to be left to dry rot. And, at some point you will have to accept that someone else will be producing it. That's just how it is.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Why doing sgu movie even to wrap the series up that will get audience neither on TV nor by DVDs sales? It'd be another stupid business decision made after the SGA cancellation.
SGA would deserve more its movie and its audience is still out there.
Gush sgu have just got 0.928 Live audience.
If sgu got its movie I would really be pissed off by. I think if MGM or whoever that give this greenlight there will be big annoyance and anger from SGA fans like me.

I don't see them getting a sgpoo movie simply because the show is going to end with the worst ratings ever for a stargate titled show (not saying it is stargate- just has the name in the title!:P)and with the HORRIBLE dvd sales there is no way the just bankrupt MGM is going to flush more money away!

You know maybe it did stay as one thing for too long. Maybe that is just the kicker...maybe just indeed.

However, I can tell you that I never would have liked SGU. The type of show it is, is not the type of show that I want to watch.

He was counting on the Stargate fans to embrace it. They did not. He was hoping it would pick up BSG fans, I think that might be where the most of it's fans actually did come from, given the show is a mirror image of BSG.

If he had just given the whole Stargate franchise up to work on this new "Writing" skill he wanted to pursue, then he should have pitched this show as an entirely different franchise. He did not cause he wanted to Ride the Fan Wave, that he later turned around and got mad at cause they did not like the show.

The man gets not sympathy from me. He did this to himself, and he is responsible for his own actions.

I don't like it, never will like it, and I'm upset cause I don't have SGA. At what point does it stop mattering what the fans/consumers/customers want? When you think you control them? Seriously?

Furthermore, if he knew how "Predictable" we were? Then he is in fact the DUMBASS for doing what he did. I mean surely he knew we would not like that shit?
So, it's safe to assume that he knew what we would do, but hoped we would not do it.

Applause applause :daniel_new_anime021:jackanime14::tealc_newanime006:

@yoshikart- my "problem" is more than how they ended sga- it's the terrible writing (IMHO) for season 5, it's how tptw demeaned the sga & sg1 fans, it's the fact that sga had many more good stories to tell with characters that many of us loved, and finally- it's the fact that sga was cancelled and replaced with that POS sgpoo! :sgufan:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I coudn't have put it better myself

[...]
Furthermore, if he knew how "Predictable" we were? Then he is in fact the DUMBASS for doing what he did. I mean surely he knew we would not like that shit?
So, it's safe to assume that he knew what we would do, but hoped we would not do it.

:laughing:
We're predictable ... so he knew we'd hate it and he went ahead anyway. That snippet is a classic!
:laughing:

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
What I'm thinking the only logical thing that he could have been thinking is this:

1.) He hoped he'd retain at least 50% of the Stargate fans.
2.) Pick up about 50% or more of the BSG type Fans.
3.) And, possibly pick up some new fans altogether.

Step one fell through.
Step two may have worked as plan, I'm not sure.
Step Three, Probably did not work so well, because other people had already watched Stargate, and decided that it was not the type of show they liked. I'd imagine they were not willing to tune in to yet another version of the show, they figured they would not like either.

The fact that he said he did not need the Previous Fans for "Financial Success" tells me he was not counting on retaining too many Stargate fans. In other words he was not making a show he thought they would like. He was marketing to a "Whole New Fan Base".

So, that pissy little comment he made, is basically at him self. He knew he screwed up, in alienating the Stargate Fans. And, he was lashing out. Plain and simple.

No...my friends...the death blow has already been blown. I will be supremely appalled, if a SGA movie comes out, and it's not "Tied in to SGU" some how.

Which will not make me a happy camper. If an SGA movie does come out it will have an SGU story to tell too. That way, the foundations can be set to get and SGU movie going too.

I'm not saying there should not be and SGU movie (well, maybe I did say that, but that's besides the point). I'm just saying I won't watch it. Secondly, If there is to be any of the two movies, they should not contain Story Lines linking them together.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
What I'm thinking the only logical thing that he could have been thinking is this:

1.) He hoped he'd retain at least 50% of the Stargate fans.
2.) Pick up about 50% or more of the BSG type Fans.
3.) And, possibly pick up some new fans altogether.

Step one fell through.
Step two may have worked as plan, I'm not sure.
Step Three, Probably did not work so well, because other people had already watched Stargate, and decided that it was not the type of show they liked. I'd imagine they were not willing to tune in to yet another version of the show, they figured they would not like either.

The fact that he said he did not need the Previous Fans for "Financial Success" tells me he was not counting on retaining too many Stargate fans. In other words he was not making a show he thought they would like. He was marketing to a "Whole New Fan Base".

So, that pissy little comment he made, is basically at him self. He knew he screwed up, in alienating the Stargate Fans. And, he was lashing out. Plain and simple.

No...my friends...the death blow has already been blown. I will be supremely appalled, if a SGA movie comes out, and it's not "Tied in to SGU" some how.

Which will not make me a happy camper.
If an SGA movie does come out it will have an SGU story to tell too. That way, the foundations can be set to get and SGU movie going too.

I'm not saying there should not be and SGU movie (well, maybe I did say that, but that's besides the point). I'm just saying I won't watch it. Secondly, If there is to be any of the two movies, they should not contain Story Lines linking them together.

I strongly suspect this is what BW will attempt to do. He knows no one truly wants an SGU movie but he's so damn arrogant about his little vanity project that he can't accept that fact of reality. I truly believe he's determined to justify SGU in some fashion and he isn't above besmirching SGA to do it.

In short, he knows there is a willing audience demanding more SGA and he will exploit that audience in order to heal his bruised ego over the cancellation of SGU.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
It is listed on IMDb as a pre-production.

But, I have not heard anything about it.

I disagree - the biggest issue people had with Atlantis was that it never got a proper ending. The fans of both shows deserve a proper ending to the story they've invested 5 and 2 years in respectively. And I truly believe Brad thought an Atlantis movie would be coming which, based on SG1 sales, would lead to more. Those sets were not left up for fun.
Going back Copenhagen's original post (and Yoshi's comments as well), I think you will find this thread answers most of the questions and prove an interesting read:

The Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made, so how could a "hold" have been put on it?

Well I just tweeted syfy to ask that very question, it might be to late to get an answer tonight. I may have to ask the same question a few times to get answered :)
as an aside syfy's Craig has been giving away sgu t-shirts, methinks they have a lot to spare!
Stclare, did you ever get an answer to OM1's question from Syfy or anywhere else?

Bluce Ree

The finale should end with Rush waking up to a bucket of cold water being poured over his face followed by his wife yelling at him about how he kept her up all night with his tossing, turning, farting and blurting nonsense about someone called Density.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The finale should end with Rush waking up to a bucket of cold water being poured over his face followed by his wife yelling at him about how he kept her up all night with his tossing, turning, farting and blurting nonsense about someone called Density.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8bRciuMLqQ&feature=related

Bluce Ree

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8bRciuMLqQ&feature=related

Good catch. I forgot about that one. :icon_lol:

I was thinking more of a Dallas-style "let's erase the entire storyline and chalk it up to a bad dream" kind of finale.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan

Some reason I pictured Rush as Father Jack for a moment then. (Off the TV show Father ted)

[video=youtube;-T_KB0V5dzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_KB0V5dzY&feature=related

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Or Destiny...as in Miley (real name Destiny Hope) Cyrus! :P i always knew he was a squicky old man! :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
If they somehow convince MGM to make the movies, I think they should make the SGA movies first because if the SGU movie came out first, you just know its going to tank in sales. And that would hinder MGM's decision to move forward with a SGA movie after looking back at the SGU sales. I mean, that's what's happening now, they're not moving forward with a SGA movie because of the outcome of the last stargate, SGU.

Don't understand why they couldn't just shorten SGU a few episodes so the funds could be diverted for a SGA movie.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Going back Copenhagen's original post (and Yoshi's comments as well), I think you will find this thread answers most of the questions and prove an interesting read:

The Atlantis movie was NEVER going to be made, so how could a "hold" have been put on it?

Stclare, did you ever get an answer to OM1's question from Syfy or anywhere else?

No answer as yet! you have to catch craig when he askes for 5 questions to answer, only he does it at differing times damn it :(