What about 2011 Stargate: Extinction?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Oh, they will most likely make an SGU movie. They are all mad at us for not liking their tv series. They think we should just stop liking what we like, and like what they think we should like.

So the more chances they has to "In your Face" us, I'm sure they will.

See I can't imagine the producers sit around thinking of ways to annoy their fans. I think a lot of this persona has been created through the magic of the internet. We start to think we know how people we've never met think.

Not to say people shouldn't have issues with some of their decisions, but I've always thought some of the comments were harsh.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
See I can't imagine the producers sit around thinking of ways to annoy their fans. I think a lot of this persona has been created through the magic of the internet. We start to think we know how people we've never met think.

Not to say people shouldn't have issues with some of their decisions, but I've always thought some of the comments were harsh.

Well BW has already blamed fans of SGA and will only comment on SGU'S future, he doesnt even mention the previous series future anymore.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Well BW has already blamed fans of SGA and will only comment on SGU'S future, he doesnt even mention the previous series future anymore.

What an A-hole. lol.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh, they will most likely make an SGU movie. They are all mad at us for not liking their tv series. They think we should just stop liking what we like, and like what they think we should like.

So the more chances they has to "In your Face" us, I'm sure they will.

Well they can count me out of going to see there crap sgpoo movie . The theater's will be empty anyway !!!

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

I reckon he realised that there was a site out there dedicated to hating on his show. If I had spent a lot of time and effort creating something, only for a bunch of people to create a site simply with the intent of hating it, I'd be pretty pissed off. I don't think anyone here would say otherwise?
As for not mentioning the previous series, well he's not making them at the moment.

There's been a lot of discussion about how MGM owns the Stargate franchise and how only MGM can greenlight things -surely the ball is in their court for the Atlantis movie right now? If they were really going to invest in this franchise they'd greenlight one of each and release them across 1 year, an everybody wins scenario.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I reckon he realised that there was a site out there dedicated to hating on his show. If I had spent a lot of time and effort creating something, only for a bunch of people to create a site simply with the intent of hating it, I'd be pretty pissed off. I don't think anyone here would say otherwise?
As for not mentioning the previous series, well he's not making them at the moment.

There's been a lot of discussion about how MGM owns the Stargate franchise and how only MGM can greenlight things -surely the ball is in their court for the Atlantis movie right now? If they were really going to invest in this franchise they'd greenlight one of each and release them across 1 year, an everybody wins scenario.

So if you had created something that had born a site that disliked what you had created so much, you wounldnt sit back and wonder why? you wouldnt look at what they were talking about, such as interviews you had given, what you had done with this new creation that was disliked by so many so much? if you didnt do that i would wonder at your arrogance. (by you i mean BW. Not you, you)

Yep and BW is supposedly pushing for sgu, there is no reason for him not to push for Atlantis.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
Why doing sgu movie even to wrap the series up that will get audience neither on TV nor by DVDs sales? It'd be another stupid business decision made after the SGA cancellation.
SGA would deserve more its movie and its audience is still out there.
Gush sgu have just got 0.928 Live audience.
If sgu got its movie I would really be pissed off by. I think if MGM or whoever that give this greenlight there will be big annoyance and anger from SGA fans like me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Brad screwed up and he wont admit it.

Yep, and when the fans who had been so loyal to his franchise realized that he really didnt think much of them and that they "didnt count" when it came to his new show, they got pissed off and created the site to hate on the show. But even without that site, the Stargate fandom worldwide basically got dissed by him publicly, and almost every blog and forum was hating on the show. So, Brad is reaping what he sowed. Fans spent money and hours upon hours watching the shows, which put Brad in the position he is/was in today. Without us, Brad was NOTHING. :icon_cool:
Correct, and that was his mistake.

Well, MGM does own the franchise rights and always has. But they entrusted Stargate Productions to produce Stargate, and Brad was in charge of that. He was given money to build the sets, pay the actors and production crew, and he was responsible for the fate of the sets (construction, destruction, etc). Brad had the Atlantis sets destroyed instead of mothballed, so that means that new ones would have to be rebuilt to make more Atlantis.

The way it looks to me, is that Brad is using the same tactic he used to FORCE Syfy to buy Stargate Universe. By destroying the SG-1 and Atlantis sets (and not mothballing them for storage), he essentially is FORCING the only choice which is SGU. But its a failed show, and MGM is not going to fall for it. The ratings for the last episodes is just reinforcing the failure of the show. He thinks that because the SGU sets are the only ones available that MGM is going to be forced to make more SGU because there is nothing else available?

Sorry Brad, but no. :bradcry:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

MGM may hold the purse strings but BW is the point man for the Stargate franchise. I think it's safe to assume that BW is pushing MGM for a finale for SGU (JM pretty much reported as much). His focus appears to be on that and not on SGA. Granted, none of us knows what was discussed in communications with MGM but, again, it's safe to assume SGA wasn't the focus of those meetings. It may have come up, but probably wasn't the main focus of their discussions.

It would be nice if someone at MGM was smart enough to look at the numbers and say 'Hey, SGA did pretty good. How about more of that?', but I doubt that has happened. And with BW going into meetings with the intent of getting an ending to his little vanity project it's doubtful that he'd remind the folks at MGM about SGA.

So, yes, MGM has the say in making more Stargate but BW is the cheerleader who has to motivate them into doing so. Call me cynical but I suspect his cheers don't include the letters "SGA".

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Wait, so we really think Brad decided to destroy the sets and is sitting in meetings not mentioning SG1 or Atlantis? MGM executives have all the information we have and they are far more qualified to make decisions regarding Stargate's future. I find it highly unlikely they've forgotten two of their shows and are being outwitted by Brad at every turn.

My opinion is that Stargate will be worse off without Brad. The guy has been great for the franchise, in fact he turned it from a film into a franchise. Whoever comes in next will just create a "new" canon which isn't the one I've been a fan of for 17 seasons. Finding someone who is as dedicated to Stargate will be next to impossible.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Because some posts are so spot on they need to be quoted for posterity!

Yep, and when the fans who had been so loyal to his franchise realized that he really didnt think much of them and that they "didnt count" when it came to his new show, they got pissed off and created the site to hate on the show. But even without that site, the Stargate fandom worldwide basically got dissed by him publicly, and almost every blog and forum was hating on the show. So, Brad is reaping what he sowed. Fans spent money and hours upon hours watching the shows, which put Brad in the position he is/was in today. Without us, Brad was NOTHING. :icon_cool:
Correct, and that was his mistake.

Who can forget BW's audacious, insulting and arrogant comments about Stargate fans?

“I don’t think if we for any reason go away, it is an issue necessarily of the quality of the product that we’ve been making,” said executive producer and co-creator Brad Wright. “I think getting moved on the schedule has hurt us. And the fact that some of the fans that liked SG-1 and Atlantis were so angry that they have deliberately hurt us, which is unfortunate.”

How, dear Brad, did anyone "deliberately" hurt you? The decision to tune out is an act of passivity, not of aggression. You can't deliberately force people to watch SGU. Such a ridiculous statement. I can't believe it came from the lips of a grown man.

And who can forget this gem?

"You guys are actually pretty predictable (take no offense, most fan groups are). Unfortunately, you represent a very small portion of the actual viewing audience we need for financial success."

Does anyone really doubt that this man is pitching for more SGU? His ego is so bruised by the failure of SGU that it's highly doubtful he's let it go yet. Maybe after the final episode airs he'll start seeing a shrink and work on his personality disorder -- maybe.

Well, MGM does own the franchise rights and always has. But they entrusted Stargate Productions to produce Stargate, and Brad was in charge of that. He was given money to build the sets, pay the actors and production crew, and he was responsible for the fate of the sets (construction, destruction, etc). Brad had the Atlantis sets destroyed instead of mothballed, so that means that new ones would have to be rebuilt to make more Atlantis.

The way it looks to me, is that Brad is using the same tactic he used to FORCE Syfy to buy Stargate Universe. By destroying the SG-1 and Atlantis sets (and not mothballing them for storage), he essentially is FORCING the only choice which is SGU. But its a failed show, and MGM is not going to fall for it. The ratings for the last episodes is just reinforcing the failure of the show. He thinks that because the SGU sets are the only ones available that MGM is going to be forced to make more SGU because there is nothing else available?

Sorry Brad, but no. :bradcry:

That's clearly his thinking. It's almost juvenile in its simplicity. What he doesn't realize though is that the longer he holds onto the sets and holds onto SGU in general the harder it will be for him to let go. It would be less painful and humiliating for him if he just sucked it up, forgot about SGU and went back to pitching for what worked -- SG-1 and SGA. It's a no brainer, anyone rational would have done it by now that's why it's obvious there's something mentally askew with the man. Bruised ego, personality disorder -- whatever you want to call it the man has a mental problem preventing him from making the prudent business decision here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He didnt have to "outwit" them

Wait, so we really think Brad decided to destroy the sets and is sitting in meetings not mentioning SG1 or Atlantis? MGM executives have all the information we have and they are far more qualified to make decisions regarding Stargate's future. I find it highly unlikely they've forgotten two of their shows and are being outwitted by Brad at every turn.

All MGM knows is that for them, "Stargate" has been whatever Brad Wright and Robert Cooper et al have had on the shelf for each year. Thats why Stargate has always been a Stargate Production and not an MGM production done in MGM's studio properties. Its the same relationship that Ford has to Jaguar and Aston Martin. Ford owns both companies, but its Jaguar and Aston Martin who decide what designs come to market, what models look like, etc. Ford only supplies the chassis and engines (mostly) and the parts bin. Brad has been the decision maker on behalf of MGM. Brad wanted to shove SGU into the forefront and thats why he has sacrificed everything to promote it.

My opinion is that Stargate will be worse off without Brad. The guy has been great for the franchise, in fact he turned it from a film into a franchise. Whoever comes in next will just create a "new" canon which isn't the one I've been a fan of for 17 seasons. Finding someone who is as dedicated to Stargate will be next to impossible.

I agree that he gave us many years of great Stargate. But we have to face the fact that its BECAUSE OF Brad that the Stargate franchise is dead today. His creation of Stargate Universe is proof that he no longer knows his fanbase, and that he has lost his magic touch. Also a fact is that Brad is NOT the creator of Stargate. Its creators, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are still dedicated to Stargate, but all these years Brad has been blocking them from doing anything with the Stargate license. They are STILL interested.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thank you!

Who can forget BW's audacious, insulting and arrogant comments about Stargate fans?

“I don’t think if we for any reason go away, it is an issue necessarily of the quality of the product that we’ve been making,” said executive producer and co-creator Brad Wright. “I think getting moved on the schedule has hurt us. And the fact that some of the fans that liked SG-1 and Atlantis were so angry that they have deliberately hurt us, which is unfortunate.”

How, dear Brad, did anyone "deliberately" hurt you? The decision to tune out is an act of passivity, not of aggression. You can't deliberately force people to watch SGU. Such a ridiculous statement. I can't believe it came from the lips of a grown man.

And who can forget this gem?

"You guys are actually pretty predictable (take no offense, most fan groups are). Unfortunately, you represent a very small portion of the actual viewing audience we need for financial success."

Does anyone really doubt that this man is pitching for more SGU? His ego is so bruised by the failure of SGU that it's highly doubtful he's let it go yet. Maybe after the final episode airs he'll start seeing a shrink and work on his personality disorder -- maybe.

That's clearly his thinking. It's almost juvenile in its simplicity. What he doesn't realize though is that the longer he holds onto the sets and holds onto SGU in general the harder it will be for him to let go. It would be less painful and humiliating for him if he just sucked it up, forgot about SGU and went back to pitching for what worked -- SG-1 and SGA. It's a no brainer, anyone rational would have done it by now that's why it's obvious there's something mentally askew with the man. Bruised ego, personality disorder -- whatever you want to call it the man has a mental problem preventing him from making the prudent business decision here.

Bolded and enlarged is what I was looking for, but couldnt find it fast enough :) What an arrogant, pissy little comment! What did he expect? For those of us who have had girlfriends in high school or college, when was it wise to dump your old girlfriend and then trot your new one out IN FRONT OF HER FRIENDS and say that the old relationship "didnt matter"? Most likely, you would find your car keyed and eggs thrown at your window.

Brad will continue to pay for his arrogance long after the last episode of SGU has aired. Cooper got out just in time :robertcooper:. Mallozzi and the others have left for Transporter, and now Brad is trying to take the corpse of SGU and make it dance in a movie?

Where is the audience for a Stargate Universe movie? These last episodes clearly show that there are only about a million people (mostly less) who bother. So, lets spend money on an SGU movie? :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I don't think BW is capable or outwitting anyone at this point. He was pre-SGU because he was riding on the success of SG-1 and SGA but now the cat's out of the bag and the numbers don't lie. In short, he has used up all of his mojo and it's now obvious the emperor has no clothes.

As for the rest, I said I thought it doubtful that BW is making SGA the focus of those discussions with MGM. He clearly wants to finish SGU, JM has reported as much in his blog. Why would he focus on SG-1 or SGA in a meeting with MGM when he has a hard-on to finish SGU? That would be counter productive towards his goal. Think about it.

My opinion is that Stargate will be worse off without Brad. The guy has been great for the franchise, in fact he turned it from a film into a franchise.

Currently Stargate would be just fine without BW at the helm. Yes, he has been great for the franchise and he did create a couple of amazing shows, but his most recent actions prove he isn't reliable any longer. If he could go back to wrapping his pumpkin sized noggin around SG-1 and more specifically SGA then chances are he could regain some of his lost "greatness". The problem is that he is still focused on SGU, which is an abject failure! He needs to let SGU go if he expects to retain control of the Stargate concept. A truly great man would admit his mistake then correct the problem by going back to what worked.

Whoever comes in next will just create a "new" canon which isn't the one I've been a fan of for 17 seasons. Finding someone who is as dedicated to Stargate will be next to impossible.
:roll:
Oh now you're just being silly. Franchises change creative hands all the time. Even Gene Roddenberry wasn't at the helm of the Star Trek franchise for eternity. Constant change is here to stay mon petite Yoshi. :D Don't fight it, embrace it and be optimistic. The next person to head up Stargate could do a really good job.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
All MGM knows is that for them, "Stargate" has been whatever Brad Wright and Robert Cooper et al have had on the shelf for each year. Thats why Stargate has always been a Stargate Production and not an MGM production done in MGM's studio properties. Its the same relationship that Ford has to Jaguar and Aston Martin. Ford owns both companies, but its Jaguar and Aston Martin who decide what designs come to market, what models look like, etc. Ford only supplies the chassis and engines (mostly) and the parts bin. Brad has been the decision maker on behalf of MGM. Brad wanted to shove SGU into the forefront and thats why he has sacrificed everything to promote it.

I agree that he gave us many years of great Stargate. But we have to face the fact that its BECAUSE OF Brad that the Stargate franchise is dead today. His creation of Stargate Universe is proof that he no longer knows his fanbase, and that he has lost his magic touch. Also a fact is that Brad is NOT the creator of Stargate. Its creators, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are still dedicated to Stargate, but all these years Brad has been blocking them from doing anything with the Stargate license. They are STILL interested.

Here's the thing though - for me they made an ok film. What Brad did was create a TV show that I loved and then created 2 other properties I enjoyed though that TV show.

If somebody else comes along it will be a new canon and that quite frankly doesn't appeal to me. It's the world with Richard Dean Anderson and Micheal Shanks that I really enjoyed.

I feel like Brad said things when he was annoyed at some of the reaction to his show. Now it's a silly thing to do but if I saw a site like sgusucks I'd be pretty pissed off. It's hard work getting a show going and to see people actively trying to work against it, presumably because of what happened on another show (which is, to be fair, the reason the site started) is a kick in the face. 1 episode in and the site is up.
I don't think for a moment that he suddenly hates SG1 and Atlantis. He may well have been aware that creatively SGA had died since he stopped being the showrunner but he also created and launched that show. There's no way in hell that he's going to refuse money to make a movie if given the chance. I'm sorry but a few dodgy quotes on the internet doesn't mean someone is going to turn down paid work to spite fans.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

this great guy just killed successful franchise creating his conceited sgu project so I can't call him great guy.Sure he made what SG became thank to SG1 and Atlantis even if he left this one earlier leaving reigns to JM to get time for working on sgu.
So by now SG franchise just became worse thank to him so he is not key man anymore. SG need new producers in charge.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Currently Stargate would be just fine without BW at the helm. Yes, he has been great for the franchise and he did create a couple of amazing shows, but his most recent actions prove he isn't reliable any longer. If he could go back to wrapping his pumpkin sized noggin around SG-1 and more specifically SGA then chances are he could regain some of his lost "greatness". The problem is that he is still focused on SGU, which is an abject failure! He needs to let SGU go if he expects to retain control of the Stargate concept. A truly great man would admit his mistake then correct the problem by going back to what worked.

I disagree - the biggest issue people had with Atlantis was that it never got a proper ending. The fans of both shows deserve a proper ending to the story they've invested 5 and 2 years in respectively. And I truly believe Brad thought an Atlantis movie would be coming which, based on SG1 sales, would lead to more. Those sets were not left up for fun.

:roll:
Oh now you're just being silly. Franchises change creative hands all the time. Even Gene Roddenberry wasn't at the helm of the Star Trek franchise for eternity. Constant change is here to stay mon petite Yoshi. :D Don't fight it, embrace it and be optimistic. The next person to head up Stargate could do a really good job.

Or Enterprise could happen again. A new producer eager to make their mark on a franchise made famous by somebody else. That's my concern, somebody else won't be content keeping the status quo of Stargate for much longer and SGU has proved Stargate can only be the SG1 template. It's not something I agree with but that's just where Stargate is at the moment - it stayed as one thing for too long.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
You know maybe it did stay as one thing for too long. Maybe that is just the kicker...maybe just indeed.

However, I can tell you that I never would have liked SGU. The type of show it is, is not the type of show that I want to watch.

He was counting on the Stargate fans to embrace it. They did not. He was hoping it would pick up BSG fans, I think that might be where the most of it's fans actually did come from, given the show is a mirror image of BSG.

If he had just given the whole Stargate franchise up to work on this new "Writing" skill he wanted to pursue, then he should have pitched this show as an entirely different franchise. He did not cause he wanted to Ride the Fan Wave, that he later turned around and got mad at cause they did not like the show.

The man gets not sympathy from me. He did this to himself, and he is responsible for his own actions.

I don't like it, never will like it, and I'm upset cause I don't have SGA. At what point does it stop mattering what the fans/consumers/customers want? When you think you control them? Seriously?

Furthermore, if he knew how "Predictable" we were? Then he is in fact the DUMBASS for doing what he did. I mean surely he knew we would not like that shit?
So, it's safe to assume that he knew what we would do, but hoped we would not do it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
You know maybe it did stay as one thing for too long. Maybe that is just the kicker...maybe just indeed.

However, I can tell you that I never would have liked SGU. The type of show it is, is not the type of show that I want to watch.

He was counting on the Stargate fans to embrace it. They did not. He was hoping it would pick up BSG fans, I think that might be where the most of it's fans actually did come from, given the show is a mirror image of BSG.

If he had just given the whole Stargate franchise up to work on this new "Writing" skill he wanted to pursue, then he should have pitched this show as an entirely different franchise. He did not cause he wanted to Ride the Fan Wave, that he later turned around and got mad at cause they did not like the show.

The man gets not sympathy from me. He did this to himself, and he is responsible for his own actions.

I don't like it, never will like it, and I'm upset cause I don't have SGA. At what point does it stop mattering what the fans/consumers/customers want? When you think you control them? Seriously?

Furthermore, if he knew how "Predictable" we were? Then he is in fact the DUMBASS for doing what he did. I mean surely he knew we would not like that shit?
So, it's safe to assume that he knew what we would do, but hoped we would not do it.

DITTO !!!