What about 2011 Stargate: Extinction?

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
It is listed on IMDb as a pre-production.

But, I have not heard anything about it.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
IMDb is about as credible as wikipedia so you should take everything you read there with a [strike]grain[/strike] bucket of salt.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
It is listed on IMDb as a pre-production.

But, I have not heard anything about it.
LOL Extinction movie is listed in preproduction 2011 for 2 years.I'm afraid it will never happen even if I'd like to see happening.And if by the higher chance and it's a big IF I'd not want to see the former producers in charge for it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, and the movie was never really in pre-production.

LOL Extinction movie is listed in preproduction 2011 for 2 years.I'm afraid it will never happen even if I'd like to see happening.And if by the higher chance and it's a big IF I'd not want to see the former producers in charge for it.

It was never greenlighted so it was never really in pre-production. I think it was assumed that the movie would be made and IMDb wanted to be the cutting edge source on that. The reality is that none of the actors were ever approached on doing an Atlantis movie and MGM never greenlighted it.

your probably right.

The sets are all gone too. :(

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I wonder how Jason Momoa's rise in popularity will effect the SGA movie and SGA in general. People are bound to check out his older work if Conan is successful. SGA even had the spot-light of winning an award on a major network.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I wonder how Jason Momoa's rise in popularity will effect the SGA movie and SGA in general. People are bound to check out his older work if Conan is successful. SGA even had the spot-light of winning an award on a major network.

He's also doing a role on HBO's Game of Thrones but his role is the same in all three, a sorta brutish caveman muscly character and
I know for a fact his character on game of thrones dies after a short time from reading the books.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Well the movie does not come out till Aug. Maybe with all the promotion and mention of SGA, it will stir up some more desire for more SGA.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can Syfy REQUEST a revival of SGA?

Well the movie does not come out till Aug. Maybe with all the promotion and mention of SGA, it will stir up some more desire for more SGA.

Can networks ASK the studios to create offerings for them? I always wondered that. In the case of SGU, it was my understanding that the only reason Syfy could not order more SGA is because Brad took it off the table. He only offered SGU as the Stargate flagship and nothing else. Now that its gone, can they ASK for Stargate Atlantis?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Excellent question!

Can networks ASK the studios to create offerings for them? I always wondered that. In the case of SGU, it was my understanding that the only reason Syfy could not order more SGA is because Brad took it off the table. He only offered SGU as the Stargate flagship and nothing else. Now that its gone, can they ASK for Stargate Atlantis?
I'd like to know the answer to that as well!

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
You probably can ask. I mean, yeah. But, I'm sure he would refuse to do it. SGA is gone. I'd love to at least see a movie though.

I wonder how much money it would take to buy the rights to Stargate from those guys? Just for giggles.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
You probably can ask. I mean, yeah. But, I'm sure he would refuse to do it. SGA is gone. I'd love to at least see a movie though.

I wonder how much money it would take to buy the rights to Stargate from those guys? Just for giggles.
Oh, I'm sure Overmind wasn't talking about Brad Wright but about Syfy asking MGM directly! MGM owns the rights to Stargate, not BW. As a matter of fact, a few months ago Joe Flanigan tried to secure the rights to the show in order to produce new seasons, a mini-series or an SGA movie with the help of some independent investors, but at that time Brad Wright was still on board and MGM refused to let Joe have it... :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Correct!

Oh, I'm sure Overmind wasn't talking about Brad Wright but about Syfy asking MGM directly! MGM owns the rights to Stargate, not BW. As a matter of fact, a few months ago Joe Flanigan tried to secure the rights to the show in order to produce new seasons, a mini-series or an SGA movie with the help of some independent investors, but at that time Brad Wright was still on board and MGM refused to let Joe have it... :(

EXACTLY. I am wondering if Syfy (or any other network) can ASK studios to produce shows for them to buy, even if the studios havent decided to make them. I understand that Syfy asked for more SGA, but it wasnt available because Brad talked MGM into cancelling it so that SGU would be the only offering. Brad is not a factor in the rights, as you pointed out. MGM can assign rights to whomever they choose.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
EXACTLY. I am wondering if Syfy (or any other network) can ASK studios to produce shows for them to buy, even if the studios havent decided to make them. I understand that Syfy asked for more SGA, but it wasnt available because Brad talked MGM into cancelling it so that SGU would be the only offering. Brad is not a factor in the rights, as you pointed out. MGM can assign rights to whomever they choose.

Well I just tweeted syfy to ask that very question, it might be to late to get an answer tonight. I may have to ask the same question a few times to get answered :)
as an aside syfy's Craig has been giving away sgu t-shirts, methinks they have a lot to spare!