We broke 90,000 posts today

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Forum froze again.

Once a fix is in place I recommend we stress test. Make a test thread and have as many members as possible post in it in rapid succession.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Im am doing some MAJOR tweaking on their server using scripts. I just installed the new CSS Sprite system about 5 minutes ago, and I already see massive improvement in speed. I just did it minutes ago....feedback!

Also threaten them with being forced to watch Tank Girl! That should encourage compliance!

S

Stonelesscutter

Forum froze again.

Once a fix is in place I recommend we stress test. Make a test thread and have as many members as possible post in it in rapid succession.

There is a 30 second delay between postings here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Forum froze again.

Their servers will detect that as an attack.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Also threaten them with being forced to watch Tank Girl! That should encourage compliance!

These forums are FLYING now from where I am. :) These are not my servers, remember? I know what hardware they are suing and this performance increase is within acceptable range even on a shared server.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's still stalling for me, too. It's not consistent and can happen on any function that calls data from the server.

Run some page load tools. Im wondering why I get such a great response time ight now. I come here during the day and it crawls sometimes.

S

Stonelesscutter

Really? Better restart your browser. Im seeing major speed improvement.

No I was saying that if you'd try to do rapid posting you'll find there's an obligatory 30 second waiting period between posts. ;)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Run some page load tools. Im wondering why I get such a great response time ight now. I come here during the day and it crawls sometimes.

It's coincidence. The last 5 thread reads and one prior post were lightening fast then the last post stalled.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's coincidence. The last 5 thread reads and one prior post were lightening fast then the last post stalled.

I miss having full control over the servers. :( For all I know, they have a bad air conditioner and the servers run hot when its off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I miss having full control over the servers. :( For all I know, they have a bad air conditioner and the servers run hot when its off.

I am reverting part of the mod I just installed.

Bluce Ree

You're in a shared environment. If you rent a dedicated server, it would give you the same control you're used to having. You'd have to weigh the cost factor vs what you had at home including Verizon cost.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're in a shared environment. If you rent a dedicated server, it would give you the same control you're used to having. You'd have to weigh the cost factor vs what you had at home including Verizon cost.

That is a no-brainer. Business class FiOS is expensive. Moving my sites to the cloud is about 1/4 of the cost, and I will see a huge savings if I also reduce my service to basic DSL. I am still able to run my own email domains and sites, but the downside is the unpredictable performance. At least they can guarantee uptime. They just dont say that "up" means it could be a very jagged ride. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Dont they still have a bandwidth issue?

Bluce Ree

Dont they still have a bandwidth issue?

It doesn't seem like it. When it stalls, I'm able to browse the site in another tab. I've open the site in several tabs and they don't stall at the same time. Perhaps it's badly implemented throttling as Joelist suggested or it might be resource stalling. I'm leaning towards overtaxed shared server environment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It doesn't seem like it. When it stalls, I'm able to browse the site in another tab. I've open the site in several tabs and they don't stall at the same time. Perhaps it's badly implemented throttling as Joelist suggested or it might be resource stalling. I'm leaning towards overtaxed shared server environment.

I concur. And most likely a dynamic file system to adjust for the other users. Some wonky load balancing system. :(