Congrats on the posts :D:D

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
94,000 now. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
94,000 now. :)

I am going to try and bring in some fans from the shows in the other sections here. I keep coming up with ideas and then running out of time to implement anything more! Right now, the performance of out new host is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The Council members all have great ideas to offer and we are going to try to introduce them.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I am going to try and bring in some fans from the shows in the other sections here. I keep coming up with ideas and then running out of time to implement anything more! Right now, the performance of out new host is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The Council members all have great ideas to offer and we are going to try to introduce them.
from my POV its ba really bad as forum load times are ridiculous..

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
from my POV its ba really bad as forum load times are ridiculous..

I have to agree. The lags happen very often, several times within an hour, and sometimes stalls on things as mundane as clicking the reply link or the smiley link as it retrieves the content.

SciphonicStranger

I have to agree. The lags happen very often, several times within an hour, and sometimes stalls simple on things as mundane as clicking the reply link or the smiley link as it retrieves the content.

I concur. Life was better on the old server.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I have to agree. The lags happen very often, several times within an hour, and sometimes stalls simple on things as mundane as clicking the reply link or the smiley link as it retrieves the content.
"several times within an hour" really? so you get intermitened breaks with good speed? for me its more of a constant really...
but yes forum stalls and sometimes even freezes during the most mundane tasks.. take reply with quote for instance it hasnt worked properly since the move and to reply to you with a quote took me 4 times before it worked 2 to get the reply box to load 1 were the board frooze and i had to close my browser and navigate back here and the final one finally worked..

Bluce Ree

"several times within an hour" really? so you get intermitened breaks with good speed? for me its more of a constant really...
but yes forum stalls and sometimes even freezes during the most mundane tasks.. take reply with quote for instance it hasnt worked properly since the move and to reply to you with a quote took me 4 times before it worked 2 to get the reply box to load 1 were the board frooze and i had to close my browser and navigate back here and the final one finally worked..

To be fair, I'm not usually sitting on the forums clicking "new posts" every couple minutes or browsing threads for long periods at a time. I'll log in, post or read a few, then go off and come back after a while. So, it may just be that it seems intermittent to me and your experience may be more representative of the problem.

SciphonicStranger

Seems to me like every 3rd click or so I need to do twice. I don't like clocking. SFN is faster than this - but then of course there is no one there. :P

Bluce Ree

Seems to me like every 3rd click or so I need to do twice. I don't like clocking. SFN is faster than this - but then of course there is no one there. :P

It seems to depend on time of day, though. During the day, I have to click "new posts" a few times before it catches. For the last hour or so, though, it seems to be smoother for me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We did have freezeup problems during the rewatch last night.

I am guessing this is a HostGator issue and may in fact come under their uptime guarantee.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I concur. Life was better on the old server.

The old server was my business server. :) We had the pipeline all to ourselves except for two other servers. Compared to this host, "unlimited bandwidth" must really mean something else. Its HostGator, the same one as :that other place" uses. But our traffic is much higher and we are suffering. I must rethink where to put THIS site where it will be given proper bandwidth.

Bluce Ree

The old server was my business server. :) We had the pipeline all to ourselves except for two other servers. Compared to this host, "unlimited bandwidth" must really mean something else. Its HostGator, the same one as :that other place" uses. But our traffic is much higher and we are suffering. I must rethink where to put THIS site where it will be given proper bandwidth.

It doesn't seem to be bandwidth throttling. It's more like a stall in serving data you'd see either when the CPU is overwhelmed or when the back-end (i.e. database, Apache, etc) is overwhelmed and slow to respond. During the stall, ping time is unaffected and I'm able to browse the home page in another tab. The fact I can browse the home page would indicate it's not a throttling issue.

S

Stonelesscutter

It doesn't seem to be bandwidth throttling. It's more like a stall in serving data you'd see either when the CPU is overwhelmed or when the back-end (i.e. database, Apache, etc) is overwhelmed and slow to respond. During the stall, ping time is unaffected and I'm able to browse the home page in another tab. The fact I can browse the home page would indicate it's not a throttling issue.

When I experience a lag the problem is usually solved by clicking the reload button. It seems as if sometimes my laptop reaches out its hand for a shake but the server gives it the runaround. :)

Bluce Ree

When I experience a lag the problem is usually solved by clicking the reload button. It seems as if sometimes my laptop reaches out its hand for a shake but the server gives it the runaround. :)

Yeah, reload will fix it but it's not helpful if you stall during a post. My post took almost 2 minutes to complete just now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, reload will fix it but it's not helpful if you stall during a post. My post took almost 2 minutes to complete just now.

Im am doing some MAJOR tweaking on their server using scripts. I just installed the new CSS Sprite system about 5 minutes ago, and I already see massive improvement in speed. I just did it minutes ago....feedback!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's also possible HostGator does not implement throttling properly. Perhaps an outfit like Rackspace that is accustomed to high I/O and bandwidth stuff?

S

Stonelesscutter

Im am doing some MAJOR tweaking on their server using scripts. I just installed the new CSS Sprite system about 5 minutes ago, and I already see massive improvement in speed. I just did it minutes ago....feedback!

Sprites? Isn't that something they used in the 80s? :P