Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I dunno about that. Tokien was an EXTREMELY devout Roman Catholic and stated himself that his fantasy had Christian elements in it (he said for example the Mount Doom passage was reflective of The Lord's Prayer). He was also a leading influence in C.S. Lewis converting to Christianity. There may have been Nordic symbols present (and for someone who did seminal work in analyzing Beowulf that is to be expected) but he was not depticting Nordic religions.

Never said he was, I merely said it was his inspiration.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
There is nothing wrong with a cheeseburger!

Except, for some reason, something came over me and I had myself a big mac. Now I remember why I hadn't had one in years. :puke:
The funny thing is I can almost hear myself getting fat as I chewed every bite. :(

Oh, back on topic before Mr. A sees my post ...

Uh, yeah! What he said about that movie with those guys! Upcoming movie ... and all that ...
Give me a break, Bluce. :roll:
It's not like you're not allowed to make a few OT jokes here and there. I only see a problem when a major thread starts going off into silly-land around ourselves for pages and gets so cluttered up that people trying to post on the topic don't get through or even find the last relevant comments. Or when things get borderline non-PG15 or bad taste on a public thread. And it's not like I'm the only one who sees it that way.
We want our forum to stay visitor friendly, but I encourage fun! And even find myself myself guilty of it once in a while. :D

Now carry on!

S

Stonelesscutter

In the spirit of talking about non-scifi movies on the 'upcoming scifi movies' thread, I'd like to ask if anyone knows if 'The Hobbit' is in production yet.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Give me a break, Bluce. :roll:
It's not like you're not allowed to make a few OT jokes here and there. I only see a problem when a major thread starts going off into silly-land around ourselves for pages and gets so cluttered up that people trying to post on the topic don't get through or even find the last relevant comments. Or when things get borderline non-PG15 or bad taste on a public thread. And it's not like I'm the only one who sees it that way.
We want our forum to stay visitor friendly, but I encourage fun! And even find myself myself guilty of it once in a while. :D

Now carry on!

I know. I was just throwing out a fishing line and figured I'd draw you in. :icon_lol:

S

Stonelesscutter

Well if ever there was a fairly decent movie "dying" for a sequel-Riddick is one of them. I hope it gets made and follows the path laid out at the end of the previous one:)

Pitch Black was far better than Chronicles of Riddick.
I hope they'll make it more like the first one than the second.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Pitch Black was far better than Chronicles of Riddick.
I hope they'll make it more like the first one than the second.

agree, but since-so far-they are going forward in time- I would like to see the story-that was left 'hanging' at the end of CHRONICLES ("You keep what you kill:psycho:") finished up. See what the new "god-king" Riddick does with his merry band of Necromongers.

S

Stonelesscutter

agree, but since-so far-they are going forward in time- I would like to see the story-that was left 'hanging' at the end of CHRONICLES ("You keep what you kill:psycho:") finished up. See what the new "god-king" Riddick does with his merry band of Necromongers.

I think he should eat them. Nobody likes them anyway. Even their name is unlikeable. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hopefully neither get made.

Contrary to Devlin's assertion there isn't any logical or organic sequel to Independence Day - they totally wiped out the Aliens at the end. Wjhat would it be; a 200 million dollar film about trying to get a devastated world back on its feet? And frankly I don't trust him with StarGate - this is the same clown who perpetrated trash like "Moon 44" and the American version of "Godzilla"...

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I haven't seen any of the films by Devlin after Independence day but I'll take your word for it.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I know this is going to sound super duper positive and rather squee of me but I think these are some great ideas. I hope they manage to get them off the ground. As it is I despise the fact that a successful movie automatically assumes a sequel just to make more money money money, but Emmerich and Devlin managed to do the impossible by restraining their urges to just crank out a cynical "Give us money!" sequel. They deserve credit for that. Here's Devlin's comments regarding an Independence Day sequel:

"We resisted doing the sequel for years because we still wanted to honor the first one. The first one gave us all careers and we really love that movie and loved the experience," Devlin said. "We didn't want to make a movie because it was financially a good idea, we only wanted to do it when we had an idea and a concept that creatively felt like it honored the first one--that it felt like an organic sequel as opposed to 'let's just go make some more money.'"

As for continuing the cinematic trilogy of Stargate I think that's a great idea too. The movie left the story with room to explore more of that mythos so I think it would be a great idea. No reason the actors couldn't reprise their roles either.

What's funny (and sad) are the comments following the article from SGU fans who are whining for resolution to the Destiny story. The morons don't comprehend that Emmerich/Devlin don't have anything to do with the 3 series that Brad Wright did.
:McKayrolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know this is going to sound super duper positive and rather squee of me but I think these are some great ideas. I hope they manage to get them off the ground. As it is I despise the fact that a successful movie automatically assumes a sequel just to make more money money money, but Emmerich and Devlin managed to do the impossible by restraining their urges to just crank out a cynical "Give us money!" sequel. They deserve credit for that. Here's Devlin's comments regarding an Independence Day sequel:

As for continuing the cinematic trilogy of Stargate I think that's a great idea too. The movie left the story with room to explore more of that mythos so I think it would be a great idea. No reason the actors couldn't reprise their roles either.

What's funny (and sad) are the comments following the article from SGU fans who are whining for resolution to the Destiny story.
The morons don't comprehend that Emmerich/Devlin don't have anything to do with the 3 series that Brad Wright did.
:McKayrolleyes:

Precisely. And because they don't know that, they also don't know that Devlin/Emmerich specifically expressed strong disdain for Brad Wright's take on Stargate. So much so that they refused to allow Brad to give them any credits on the shows. What kills me is that the SGU kids are far more organized and vocal than the regular Stargate fans. :( But no amount of organization or clamoring from that tiny group will ever revive SGU or any movie to continue the story. When Stargate returns (and it will), it will most likely be written as though none of the series ever existed.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Precisely. And because they don't know that, they also don't know that Devlin/Emmerich specifically expressed strong disdain for Brad Wright's take on Stargate. So much so that they refused to allow Brad to give them any credits on the shows. What kills me is that the SGU kids are far more organized and vocal than the regular Stargate fans. :( But no amount of organization or clamoring from that tiny group will ever revive SGU or any movie to continue the story. When Stargate returns (and it will), it will most likely be written as though none of the series ever existed.

It's easy to organize 12 people.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's easy to organize 12 people.

Yeah but we're talking SGU fans here so it would probably be easier to organize 12 brain damaged cats than it would those people.