Upcoming Sci-Fi Movies

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Technically not a Sci-fi movie but I just read The Dark Knight Rises has started principle photography (aka shooting). Has me excited, I love Chris Nolan movies!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
where is the science in any of JRR Tolkien's works?:icon_razz: Fantasy, the first and best author of the genre (oh and CS Lewis too). All others are mere poor copies of these two masters, like Game of Thrones:icon_eek: of course just my harsh opinion:)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
where is the science in any of JRR Tolkien's works?:icon_razz: Fantasy, the first and best author of the genre (oh and CS Lewis too). All others are mere poor copies of these two masters, like Game of Thrones:icon_eek: of course just my harsh opinion:)

I would hardly call tolkien the first and best author of the fantasy genre.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would hardly call tolkien the first and best author of the fantasy genre.

Like I said, just my "harsh opinion" :icon_e_wink:. He started writing LOTR during WW1...I dont know of too many others who wrote fantasy in this vein, with elves and trolls, orcs, goblins dragons, etc. WEhat I am saying is, look at the fantasy section in a bookstore--just about every book there borrows heavily from either Tolkien or Lewis, or both. Yes there is other fantasy ,I know :icon_neutral:

and he is not sci-fi:)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Like I said, just my "harsh opinion" :icon_e_wink:. He started writing LOTR during WW1...I dont know of too many others who wrote fantasy in this vein, with elves and trolls, orcs, goblins dragons, etc. WEhat I am saying is, look at the fantasy section in a bookstore--just about every book there borrows heavily from either Tolkien or Lewis, or both. Yes there is other fantasy ,I know :icon_neutral:

and he is not sci-fi:)

Tolkein was heavily influenced by Nordic religious beliefs, which is why you have such creatures being so prevalent in his work.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Tolkein was heavily influenced by Nordic religious beliefs, which is why you have such creatures being so prevalent in his work.

exactly--and he was the first to be influenced in such a way, now many others have followed

G

Graybrew1

And to think you're the same person arguing with Terran77 and giving him a run for his money on the ST2009 thread... :icon_lol:

I have varied tastes. :icon_e_wink:

I loved The Lord of the Rings.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
exactly--and he was the first to be influenced in such a way, now many others have followed

I dunno about that. Tokien was an EXTREMELY devout Roman Catholic and stated himself that his fantasy had Christian elements in it (he said for example the Mount Doom passage was reflective of The Lord's Prayer). He was also a leading influence in C.S. Lewis converting to Christianity. There may have been Nordic symbols present (and for someone who did seminal work in analyzing Beowulf that is to be expected) but he was not depticting Nordic religions.

G

Graybrew1

How about White Castle Hamburgers and Cheeseburgers?

Seriously? Because I like Lord of the Rings?
You are asking me about Hamburgers?
Can you expand this please?
We all have our guilty pleasures.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seriously? Because I like Lord of the Rings?
You are asking me about Hamburgers?
Can you expand this please?
We all have our guilty pleasures.

It was supposed to be a silly off topic joke. I guess it didn't work properly.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

There is nothing wrong with a cheeseburger!

Except, for some reason, something came over me and I had myself a big mac. Now I remember why I hadn't had one in years. :puke:
The funny thing is I can almost hear myself getting fat as I chewed every bite. :(

Oh, back on topic before Mr. A sees my post ...

Uh, yeah! What he said about that movie with those guys! Upcoming movie ... and all that ...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I dunno about that. Tokien was an EXTREMELY devout Roman Catholic and stated himself that his fantasy had Christian elements in it (he said for example the Mount Doom passage was reflective of The Lord's Prayer). He was also a leading influence in C.S. Lewis converting to Christianity. There may have been Nordic symbols present (and for someone who did seminal work in analyzing Beowulf that is to be expected) but he was not depticting Nordic religions.

I think maybe that should go to "gatefan1976" :icon_e_wink: he/she intro'd that-i just coalesced. Tolkien used many aspects of literature and history/anthropology. He was influenced by Norse myths and language--some of his 'elvish' is said to be word for word matches with archaic norse, he was influenced by the "eastern hordes" of the Mongol expansions towards Europe, he was also influenced by his time in WW1 for his depictions of battle/siege of Minas Tirith and other battles throughout all 5 books.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think maybe that should go to "gatefan1976" :icon_e_wink: he/she intro'd that-i just coalesced. Tolkien used many aspects of literature and history/anthropology. He was influenced by Norse myths and language--some of his 'elvish' is said to be word for word matches with archaic norse, he was influenced by the "eastern hordes" of the Mongol expansions towards Europe, he was also influenced by his time in WW1 for his depictions of battle/siege of Minas Tirith and other battles throughout all 5 books.

Actually, it's more the dwarven runic script that was influenced by the Norse culture, the Elvish script seems to me to be derived more from the Theban script.

Sorry, feeling sick and blunt right now. :(