Tick Tock Tick Tock...Joe? Your SGU fans are waiting for that news you said you would have for them.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
We may have to wait...

We may have to wait, but I'm willing to wait if it's for a good quality Stargate show. Stargate will be rebooted in the next couple of years. Hopefully, it will be a fresh, awesome reboot like the new Star Trek. Either way, it needs a new creative team. The current creative leads have stagnated. I don't think SyFy will greenlight any SGU tv/dvd movie or miniseries because it is simply not profitable to do so. I don't see SyFy as having any particular loyalty to the Stargate franchise that would inspire them to put more into SGU, which clearly failed. I'm hoping for a fourth series. Maybe a full reboot, but certainly wiping away the stain of SGU on the franchise.

Inara

GateFans Noob
Check out this blatant DISinformation, this SG-POO squeedrone is spreading. I challenged him to post a link to the source and he's been mysteriously absent from the thread ever since. He's a longtime pro-SyFy imdb troll

That thread is full of fail right from the first post, in which phaorpha-1 writes: "SG1 had to deal with this every year until they changed networks and even then, they had to fight every year for their survival."

Um, no sugarcakes, totally not true. Back in the Showtime era of SG1 (first five seasons) they very quickly got picked up each season, and in I think in at least one case, possibly twice, more than one season at a time. The only reason Showtime let it go was because they're a subscription based network, and they were finding not enough people were willing to subscribe to their service specifically to get SG1 when they could wait a year and watch it for free in syndication or watch DVDs. They wanted something you couldn't get for free, and not a show purposely ready-made for free to air stations (i.e. they wanted shows that could use a bit of harsh language, at the very least).

I recall this specifically being mentioned by Michael Shanks interview either during his time away from the show during the sixth season, or shortly after his return. He talked about how the renewals were coming fast and as a young actor, he very quickly found himself with a five year contract, which is a total dream for most actors, especially those trying to make their big break. I can probably dig for for a link on that on the semi-official fan site for Shanks; I think they have most interviews with him archived.

Sci Fi absolutely adored getting SG1. Not just the new season six, but the repeats of early seasons were getting good ratings too. There were some weeks in which there was no episode of the new season aired, yet SG1 still made the top ten shows for the network, leading some to speculate the episode that actually made the top ten in some weeks might not have been new ones from season six, since they only count the best ratings for one show during the week, or at least they did at the time.

As for the big surprise? I'd only be surprised if TPTB publicly issued an apology for being asshat to what had been a loyal fanbase.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I would really feel like shit if SGU were given a mini-series and SSGA wasn't.

Tropicana

Council Member
I doubt very much a mini-series will be created, the cost factor, the American viewership numbers and data collected from the series during its year and a half, that has clear indications that the show does not perform well in any 1st world countries that are broadcasting SGU. Plus, the DVD sales for SGU worldwide sucks too.

It's the case of, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. In this case, SGU sucks. The only thing anyone can do is let the show wrap up some conclusion as cheaply as possible and as efficiently as possible whether the ending makes sense or not; though if I was in MGM, I wouldn't even bother. I would rather use that money elsewhere.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I doubt very much a mini-series will be created, the cost factor, the American viewership numbers and data collected from the series during its year and a half, that has clear indications that the show does not perform well in any 1st world countries that are broadcasting SGU. Plus, the DVD sales for SGU worldwide sucks too.

It's the case of, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. In this case, SGU sucks. The only thing anyone can do is let the show wrap up some conclusion as cheaply as possible and as efficiently as possible whether the ending makes sense or not; though if I was in MGM, I wouldn't even bother. I would rather use that money elsewhere.

I've been trying to figure out how they could possibly write a quick ending for SGU and I just don't see it. There's too many loose ends to tie up since every single character is a neurotic mess. Whatever they came up with would be rushed and stupid. I have no doubt TPTB would try though if given the financing for a movie.

And I agree with you on the money issue. Not even the DVD sales justify making an ending for SGU. I'll be laughing my ass off if someone is stupid enough to bankroll a wrap up for SGU -- and if it was MGM I sure as hell wouldn't buy stock in that company because it would prove they aren't serious about fixing their financial mess.

Sami_

GateFans Noob
I blame Brad Wright more than Joe Mallozzi - JM is just repeating the bullshit thet BW tells him.

There is no way there will be a 3rd season of SGU, there will be no movie, no miniseries or anything creatively new from the show. The production staff will move on to new jobs (as some already are starting to), the actors will start working on new shows or movies and anyone that still held out hope but has an ounce of intelligence will finally realise the show is gone. What there will be even after all this has happened is lots of rumor mongering from BW in the hope of drumming up ratings for the last episodes of season 2 and DVD sales but eventually even the most die hard squeedrones will stop listening to his prattle.

Hopefully we will never hear from BW again and someone can restore some respect to the franchise. The problem, as I see it, is that he let his ego grow to epic proportions after having years of success but success wasn't enough; he wanted critical acclaim - the only problem is that neither he or the rest of the writers had the necessary talent to create a drama that anyone would want to watch. There is a reason they say fame changes people, most people walking around are closet egomaniacs; they think the world revolves around them, god is watching their every move, they have a purpose, a destiny but unfortunately for BW its all in his mind and he is just another egomaniac that stepped out of the closet.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

The tipper confirmed my statements in the thread regarding Atlantis being on hold with regard to the Atlantis sets being struck in Stage 6 at the Bridge to make room for the new SGU sets. Even more disturbing, the source has also confirmed that they were DESTROYED, not mothballed. There are remnants of the SG-1 sets in Stage 5 and more in Stage 4 for SGU and SG-1.

No Atlantis movie was "in the works" and the proof has been verified. So SGU had nothing to do with it being "put on hold". SGU is what caused all progress on Atlantis to stop...as soon as production began (2008-2009).

This leaves only three possibilities: A re-work of episode 20 to make it a 2-hour movie (finale), a separate 2-hour movie finale, or a short miniseries to wrap up the show. Its really not feasible to do SG-1 or SGA on any level at the moment.

My vote: NONE of it will be done. :)

I have mentioned this on another thread before, but I think that a Stargate prequel show about the Ancients on Atlantis would be a good idea for a new show if somebody were to pitch it. All of the sets & models (Atlantis, Puddle Jumpers etc) would be all of the ones necessary to make an SGA movie aswell during the gap between seasons. There are always possibilities.

Nani

GateFans Noob
The tipper confirmed my statements in the thread regarding Atlantis being on hold with regard to the Atlantis sets being struck in Stage 6 at the Bridge to make room for the new SGU sets. Even more disturbing, the source has also confirmed that they were DESTROYED, not mothballed. There are remnants of the SG-1 sets in Stage 5 and more in Stage 4 for SGU and SG-1.

No Atlantis movie was "in the works" and the proof has been verified. So SGU had nothing to do with it being "put on hold". SGU is what caused all progress on Atlantis to stop...as soon as production began (2008-2009).

It seems that some of the SGA sets were appropriated by Defying Gravity production (once SGA was cancelled). I'm not sure if this was done to save DG production some dough, or whether they were being "saved" for a possible SGA movie. Although I highly doubt the latter.

DG_SGAset2.jpg

DG_SGAset.jpg

This leaves only three possibilities: A re-work of episode 20 to make it a 2-hour movie (finale), a separate 2-hour movie finale, or a short miniseries to wrap up the show. Its really not feasible to do SG-1 or SGA on any level at the moment.

Couldn't agree more.

Tropicana

Council Member
In a way it's good that the sets are being redressed and being reused, since I am an avid recycler myself.

With the whole save the planet and all that.

Nani

GateFans Noob
In a way it's good that the sets are being redressed and being reused, since I am an avid recycler myself.

I wish that was the case. :( Defying Gravity was a short-lived sci-fi series in 2009 (not brilliant, but not bad), with a grand total of 13 episodes. Overmind One's intel sounds correct - SGA sets were most likely dismantled a long time ago. Maybe someone who's been to the Vancouver SG con (studio tour) last year could confirm..?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

I recycle because I am cheap as hell! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its so sad...yet so predictable.

I wish that was the case. :( Defying Gravity was a short-lived sci-fi series in 2009 (not brilliant, but not bad), with a grand total of 13 episodes. Overmind One's intel sounds correct - SGA sets were most likely dismantled a long time ago. Maybe someone who's been to the Vancouver SG con (studio tour) last year could confirm..?

My intel says they were not just dismantled, but DESTROYED, Defying Gravity didnt even last a whole year! But there was no surprise there. It was totally soap-fi, complete with love triangles and sappy soapy character interaction...set in space. Like the other failed BSG-modeled shows following the new soap-fi model, it was not well received and failed quickly. Like all of them, the cast was too big, the lack of science was too obvious, and the pace was too slow. I watched part of the first episode and was done.The Wiki on it describes the premise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defying_Gravity_(TV_series)

The program follows the adventures of eight astronauts on board the international spacecraft Antares, the next ambitious manned space mission after the Mars landing. The lives of the astronauts are being constantly recorded and broadcast back to Earth both as part of an ongoing documentary and as part of mission monitoring. In spite of a libido-suppressing device worn by each crew member, referred to as "HALO" for "Hormone Activated Libido Oppressors", romantic entanglements develop among some crew members.

:facepalm:

It seems that some of the SGA sets were appropriated by Defying Gravity production (once SGA was cancelled). I'm not sure if this was done to save DG production some dough, or whether they were being "saved" for a possible SGA movie. Although I highly doubt the latter.

DG_SGAset2.jpg

DG_SGAset.jpg

Couldn't agree more.

Thirteen episodes were initially ordered and filming began on January 19, 2009 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, lasting six months. CGI effects were handled by Stargate Studios, in collaboration with set designer Stephen Geaghan.

SGU premiered on October 3, 2009, and my intel says that the Atlantis sets were mostly struck by that time. All of season 1 of SGU was finished by the end of October 2009, and when the second season for SGU was approved in December of 2009, the rest of what was left of those Atlantis sets in Bridge studios Stage 6 was destroyed to make room for the new bridge and hydroponics bay seen in SGU season 2.

I blame Brad Wright more than Joe Mallozzi - JM is just repeating the bullshit thet BW tells him.

There is no way there will be a 3rd season of SGU, there will be no movie, no miniseries or anything creatively new from the show.
The production staff will move on to new jobs (as some already are starting to), the actors will start working on new shows or movies and anyone that still held out hope but has an ounce of intelligence will finally realise the show is gone. What there will be even after all this has happened is lots of rumor mongering from BW in the hope of drumming up ratings for the last episodes of season 2 and DVD sales but eventually even the most die hard squeedrones will stop listening to his prattle.

Hopefully we will never hear from BW again and someone can restore some respect to the franchise. The problem, as I see it, is that he let his ego grow to epic proportions after having years of success but success wasn't enough; he wanted critical acclaim - the only problem is that neither he or the rest of the writers had the necessary talent to create a drama that anyone would want to watch. There is a reason they say fame changes people, most people walking around are closet egomaniacs; they think the world revolves around them, god is watching their every move, they have a purpose, a destiny but unfortunately for BW its all in his mind and he is just another egomaniac that stepped out of the closet.

PRECISELY! You have such a way with words. :)

I recycle because Im cheap, and much of the wasteful (but effective) packaging of goods can be used for other things. Im big on keeping spray bottles, since they can be easily refilled, and microwave containers with sealable lids can be reused over and over. :) However I do not believe in manmade global warming or that the planet needs saving. When the planet or its environment is significantly thrown out of balance by any single creature (plant, animal, large and small), then the planet will simply wipe them out with plague or increase the equalizing factors (predators, habitat, etc). Man is not grand enough or important enough to put this planet in peril.

I recycle because I am cheap as hell! :P

Me too! :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

NOOOOOO!!
He is doing SGU S3!!:rotflmao:

Serious mode
Good on him, he has helped make some great "gate action", I just hope he gets no where near it again. If you loose the "passion" for a project, especially in a creative field, you should just pick up sticks and walk away (or at least take a break). I know I've given Joe shit for being an arse, but if he can bring even an ounce of what he had for SG1, especially to a new project, then it will probably do well, I just wish that he (and the rest of them) have the good sense to walk away when it was "best" for stargate. :(

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Was I supposed to still be holding my breath?

Surprise, surprise: still no "big news"...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Surprise, surprise: still no "big news"...

That's because JM's big news always comes "next week", kind of like the way tomorrow never comes. ;)

Tropicana

Council Member
That's because JM's big news always comes "next week", kind of like the way tomorrow never comes. ;)
Just like with SGU, "Stick around, it will get better next week, if not, the week after that, and if not that, a week after that".

Seems to me the running theme with him.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
Have no time to read all that stuff but I'd like to quote 2 ones
@Joe
this new project sounds great but I really hope that if – god willing – SGU’s third season starts to look more likely, and it comes down to a choice between staying and doing SGU or going to Toronto to do this “secret show” that you make the decision to do SGU. It’s such a great show and it really does deserve a third season!

LOL

@Casey
Could you please cast Joe Flannigan in your secret project? We miss him…..
icon_razz.gif
LOL too
I really doubt joeF accepts to work again with such man especially when we know what he thinks about him and his blog and ego even if I'd like to see him as lead actor in a new series ASAP

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

LOL

LOL too
I really doubt joeF accepts to work again with such man especially when we know what he thinks about him and his blog and ego even if I'd like to see him as lead actor in a new series ASAP

@Casey
Could you please cast Joe Flannigan in your secret project? We miss him…..
icon_razz.gif
This must be like a slap in the face for Mallozzi :icon_lol:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

LOL

LOL too

Sorry if I sound ignorant guys,but, you saying that JoeF actually doesn't like Joseph Mallozzi's attitude? If so when did he say it? Sorry to ask this but this I have to read, I must have missed it when he said it.