The Science of Star Trek vs the Magic of Star Wars - the 10 Year Flame War!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Scotty was never funny?
Computer? Computer?
A keyboard, How Quaint.

I know This ship like the back of my hand!
DONG!!

McCoy tossing one liners?
Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a (insert whatever here)

goku plain saiyan.gif

JUST SAIYAN

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Scotty was never funny?
Computer? Computer?
A keyboard, How Quaint.

I know This ship like the back of my hand!
DONG!!

McCoy tossing one liners?
Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a (insert whatever here)

View attachment 32380

JUST SAIYAN

Ugh...must you? :) Scotty in NuTrek is a comedic character. Scotty in TOS was funny and had a great sense of humor but he was not comedic relief. Did you really grab at lines of dialogue without considering the persona and accomplishments of Master Engineer Montgomery Scott? In NuTrek, Checkov has shown more technological ingenuity than Scotty has. Transwarp beaming does not count because Spock Prime gave him the formula.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ugh...must you? :)
Seems I must as you keep digging a deeper hole.
Scotty in NuTrek is a comedic character. Scotty in TOS was funny and had a great sense of humor but he was not comedic relief.
I am pointing out that Scotty was used as a comedic foil sometimes, nothing else.
I am pointing out that your -opinion- means as much as anyone elses. I don't give a TOSS if you watched TOS a few years before me, there are X amount of TV/movie hours of Trek, and just like you, I have watched nearly all of them (the cartoon never got here, sorry boss). You do not have some mystical understanding beyond mine that makes your understanding "more true", neither do I.
What you are stating is -opinion-, and so am I.
Did you really grab at lines of dialogue without considering the persona and accomplishments of Master Engineer Montgomery Scott?
He's a fracking CHARACTER, jeezus man :lol:
In NuTrek, Checkov has shown more technological ingenuity than Scotty has. Transwarp beaming does not count because Spock Prime gave him the formula.
Ahh, I see we are at stage 1 again

do not like.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seems I must as you keep digging a deeper hole.

I am pointing out that Scotty was used as a comedic foil sometimes, nothing else.
I am pointing out that your -opinion- means as much as anyone elses. I don't give a TOSS if you watched TOS a few years before me, there are X amount of TV/movie hours of Trek, and just like you, I have watched nearly all of them (the cartoon never got here, sorry boss). You do not have some mystical understanding beyond mine that makes your understanding "more true", neither do I.
What you are stating is -opinion-, and so am I.

He's a fracking CHARACTER, jeezus man :lol:

Ahh, I see we are at stage 1 again

View attachment 32381

No, YOU are at stage one. Not again, you never left it. :) I could watch a Japanese poet reciting a poem in Japanese 100 times and still be clueless about the poem because I don't speak Japanese. All I hear would be basically babble. Does that mean that the poem in meaningless? Of course not. And without a basic understanding of Japanese and what the poem is about, I cannot even think about commenting on it's artistry or message. You are there with Star Trek.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No, YOU are at stage one. Not again, you never left it. :) I could watch a Japanese poet reciting a poem in Japanese 100 times and still be clueless about the poem because I don't speak Japanese. All I hear would be basically babble. Does that mean that the poem in meaningless? Of course not. And without a basic understanding of Japanese and what the poem is about, I cannot even think about commenting on it's artistry or message. You are there with Star Trek.
Dude, you could watch anything and be clueless..............
Hell, you would fall off the Titanic and not take a life preserver because it said USS rather than US.
:lol:
I -get- Star Trek, I grew up with star trek, I understand it's tech, it's not "Japanese", it's just another form of English, like SW or SG, or firefly, or blake 7 or Lexx, or B5, or (pick one at this stage, I could not be arsed continuing)
Trying to "attack" me on this is just pathetic and stupid.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

I disagree

If I listened to a poet in Japanese 100 times- I would have at least understood the emotional context and the veracity of the poem.

Is it about love, war, longing? All can be understood without understanding the words after hearing it so many times.

Can't you tell if someone is asking for help or saying hello in another language just by their tone and inflection? Their imparting of emotion or lack of it?

In some other thread about something else-I had put up a thing about understanding other languages (the very basics) or deciphering old english, or latin, etc. I listen and try to find the context to add to the understanding--do you really need a phrasebook and/or subtitles to get it?

just wondering--this could explain much to our "rift" (that whole 'STEM' personality vs a non 'STEM' one as well)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I disagree

If I listened to a poet in Japanese 100 times- I would have at least understood the emotional context and the veracity of the poem.

Is it about love, war, longing? All can be understood without understanding the words after hearing it so many times.

Can't you tell if someone is asking for help or saying hello in another language just by their tone and inflection? Their imparting of emotion or lack of it?

In some other thread about something else-I had put up a thing about understanding other languages (the very basics) or deciphering old english, or latin, etc. I listen and try to find the context to add to the understanding--do you really need a phrasebook and/or subtitles to get it?

just wondering--this could explain much to our "rift" (that whole 'STEM' personality vs a non 'STEM' one as well)

You are married to someone from that culture. :) I used that example because the reciting of some Japanese poetry I experienced lacked any clue, even the Haiku. East Asian poetry and music is not as expressive like when poets recite English poetry (I mean in the facial expression/emotional way). Japanese traditional music borders on atonal. In either case, even understanding a basic "gist" of it through observing would not allow me to comment on the topic of Japanese poetry or music.

My point to Gatefan is that the term "technobabble" is a term non-tech people made up to describe something technical they do not understand. I cannot think of a single valid situation where the term "technobabble" would be acceptable to use. If somebody started asking me where the Gandalf Module is on the motherboard, or what network component is regulated by the Central Plexus, I would call that nonsense and not technobabble, because I know there is no such thing as a Gandalf Module or a Central Plexus in a real computer or network.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You are married to someone from that culture. :) I used that example because the reciting of some Japanese poetry I experienced lacked any clue, even the Haiku. East Asian poetry and music is not as expressive like when poets recite English poetry (I mean in the facial expression/emotional way). Japanese traditional music borders on atonal. In either case, even understanding a basic "gist" of it through observing would not allow me to comment on the topic of Japanese poetry or music.

My point to Gatefan is that the term "technobabble" is a term non-tech people made up to describe something technical they do not understand. I cannot think of a single valid situation where the term "technobabble" would be acceptable to use. If somebody started asking me where the Gandalf Module is on the motherboard, or what network component is regulated by the Central Plexus, I would call that nonsense and not technobabble, because I know there is no such thing as a Gandalf Module or a Central Plexus in a real computer or network.

How DARE you sir?! My wife is not Japanese!!! :rolleye0014:

Good thing she didn't "hear" that. :vala-new011: :D

-----------------------------------------------
technobabble-yeah I get your point

however just like I said with the hearing a poem a hundred times, one needs to use their entire self to understand that they are not aware of or comfortable with

if I said 'gandalf module" and you could see that I was clearly speaking of the IDE connector (don't worry, i don't know that, i looked it up :cool-new:) then surely you would then understand my meaning and use of the term "gandalf module", wouldn't you?

----------------------------------------------
this is all so pointless

I think by now-with exception for some newer members- we all know about each other

so far what can be known from our likes and dislikes and our manner of "speaking" and real world interests

it is therefore pretty damned clear that we are of two distinct 'sects' so to speak--lets have fun and do something like subdived ourselves into a "priestly" and "tech" groups.

or if you prefer-"Apollonian (that would be you and Bluce for starters)" and "Dionysian (that would be me, GF, etc)"

these are real categories of ppl in the anthropology realm btw

we can go on for ever back and forth about ST vs SW and it would be like the Congo civil war; never ending

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
we can go on for ever back and forth about ST vs SW and it would be like the Congo civil war; never ending

Well, no, not really. No one is arguing *for* or *against* or *which is better*, just you trying to equate them as both being pure magical fantasy. Not much of a back 'n forth happening there. :icon_lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, no, not really. No one is arguing *for* or *against* or *which is better*, just you trying to equate them as both being pure magical fantasy. Not much of a back 'n forth happening there. :icon_lol:
No f'ing way!!!

I am the one who was saying JUST WATCH THE DAMN SHOWS/MOVIES!!!

Don't go flipping it around on me

I said that I appreciate both for what they are-entertainment

I think you may be conflating some of the things the GF and I are saying

---and as far as fantasy--it is fantasy damn it

I don't care how "theoretical" something is, until it is in existence it is just in the imagination. Imagination = fantasy. and yes,sometimes imagination does equal invention, but until the dreams come into physical reality they are just that--dreams=imagination=fantasy. Even if it is informed fantasy based on hard science

again--no point in going on, there will be no solution

you guys are hard wired for everything must have a solution, nothing left to the imagination, everything must be explained

if you have X+Y+Z=? You'd have no solution; I'd have "shyzz-y" :winking0052:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No f'ing way!!!

I am the one who was saying JUST WATCH THE DAMN SHOWS/MOVIES!!!

Don't go flipping it around on me

I said that I appreciate both for what they are-entertainment

I think you may be conflating some of the things the GF and I are saying

---and as far as fantasy--it is fantasy damn it

I don't care how "theoretical" something is, until it is in existence it is just in the imagination. Imagination = fantasy. and yes,sometimes imagination does equal invention, but until the dreams come into physical reality they are just that--dreams=imagination=fantasy. Even if it is informed fantasy based on hard science

again--no point in going on, there will be no solution

you guys are hard wired for everything must have a solution, nothing left to the imagination, everything must be explained

if you have X+Y+Z=? You'd have no solution; I'd have "shyzz-y" :winking0052:

How does one explain something to somebody about something they are not able to see? I know several programmers. I am not a programmer even though I am a decent IT pro. Programmers can get excited and call another programmer over to look at a hundred lines of code and the new guy says "Oh wow, that is so cool what you did there!". But to me it's just a bunch of commands and brackets and numbers. It's because I do not know programming, not because what I am seeing is "technobabble". I doubt I would sit and watch a lecture about coding and programming, but I know those programming guys would.

This is the conflict Trek fans have with Star Wars fans. Star Wars fans are not expected to like what Star Trek is offering. It's the Star Wars fans who think that their fairy tale compares with Trek. Trek fans do not argue in favor of comparisons to Star Wars.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Shall we take a walk down memory lane? Oh, heck, just go down this thread. :)

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-wars-vii-the-force-awakens.27860/page-25

don't see your point--the link here only takes me to a page where the only posts I made was showing what actual NASA experts say about real world possibilities for what they call a "Warp drive" vs the warp drive of ST

they are two different things-the guy is quoted in the article as saying that much, not me.

according to NASA and their associates, the only thing real world possibilities (for which a energy source-they say-does not and probably will not ever, exist) for warp drive and ST has is similar names
---------------------------------------------------------
And--here is a real post of mine--since you keep pushing for an argument--showing why much of what is in ST is fantasy in the way that it does not exist now (of course) and why it can net EVER exist

transporters and the Heisenberg Compensator is one thing. Another (not in this video) is the amount of energy required just to scan,upload and dissemble one person far exceeds the amount of energy released from all of the nuclear weapons we have today.

Just more scientific fantasy- why don't you invite this guy to the forum and argue with him?--I'll get the popcorn :popcorn:

So just stop trying to bait me for this silly argument

Both movies/shows are imaginary, works of fiction. Most importantly, they are forms of entertainment and diversion-nothing more:happy0007:

So, you and OM and whomever else should just start a "Squee" thread for ST where you all can argue over who loves ST more

heisenberg

Earl Grey
don't see your point--the link here only takes me to a page where the only posts I made was showing what actual NASA experts say about real world possibilities for what they call a "Warp drive" vs the warp drive of ST

they are two different things-the guy is quoted in the article as saying that much, not me.

according to NASA and their associates, the only thing real world possibilities (for which a energy source-they say-does not and probably will not ever, exist) for warp drive and ST has is similar names
---------------------------------------------------------
And--here is a real post of mine--since you keep pushing for an argument--showing why much of what is in ST is fantasy in the way that it does not exist now (of course) and why it can net EVER exist

transporters and the Heisenberg Compensator is one thing. Another (not in this video) is the amount of energy required just to scan,upload and dissemble one person far exceeds the amount of energy released from all of the nuclear weapons we have today.

Just more scientific fantasy- why don't you invite this guy to the forum and argue with him?--I'll get the popcorn :popcorn:

Both movies/shows are imaginary, works of fiction. Most importantly, they are forms of entertainment and diversion-nothing more:happy0007:

So, you and OM and whomever else should just start a "Squee" thread for ST where you all can argue over who loves ST more

We have been able to transport photons and we are edging closer to transporting so no, it's not as farfetched as it may seem.

Einstein’s ‘spooky’ steering needed for secure quantum teleportation

‘Teleportation’ – the word evokes images of the fictional Star Trek universe where humans and objects are ‘beamed’ to another location.

Now, researchers including Swinburne University of Technology’s Dr Laura Rosales-Zarate and Professor Margaret Reid, together with a team from China and Europe, have demonstrated the precise requirements for secure quantum teleportation.

While sounding like something from science fiction, secure quantum teleportation is essential for a future quantum internet that allows information to be transmitted with absolute security
http://www.swinburne.edu.au/news/la...g-needed-for-secure-quantum-teleportation.php

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From what I have read (which isn't much I admit, and I have already made it abundantly clear that I am little more then a 'fan' of science) I think we may someday be able to "transport' a human by means of data transfer and 3d printing

those tech's would have to get far more advanced of course, but I think we are far closer to long distance data transfer of living human tissue/organs/skin (the cellular blueprint for them that is), printing out that living tissue then assembling it and then perhaps "programming" the result's brain with information needed to carry out the mission then we are to 'transporting' in any way that is close to the ST method

the energy req'd for data transfer and printing is pretty much available already while the massive amounts of energy needed to ST transport someone is just not there-that is the ability to produce and harness it

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that was just from Friday, long after you and OM started this flame war :love_heart:

I besides-I made no equations of there being "equal science" between ST and SW's in it, I just said, once again, it is all made up entertainment--'made up' from the realm of the writers imaginations. And, to "just watch the stuff". It is all entertainment

Dude, this particular flame war is over 10 years old now! Here is an example. Look at the post dates:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f5/t317436.html

Why is it that Star Wars fans (those who like Star Wars more than Star Trek) try to claim that Star Wars and Star Trek are both science fiction, but Star Trek fans roundly define Star Wars as Fantasy?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

What you are not acknowledging is that Star Trek inspired the further work on warp drive theory. Just like it inspired the Bluetooth headset, the flip cellphone, the Tablet, flat screen displays, reconfigurable (menu driven) screens and even transparent aluminum (yes, it exists now). Star Wars cannot inspire science. No fake soapfi can, and neither can fantasy.

NASA is not the pinnacle of the scientific world dude. :) The best scientists are in the public sector, not at NASA wasting public resources on manmade global warming models or watching the private companies perform their paid experiments on the International Space Station which they only partially administer (and own). NASA does noit get to say what is possible or not. Only science does, and the best of science is not working at NASA.

I will not argue with anyone regarding transporters, but PERSONALLY, I think they are nonsense not because of the technology of disassembling matter in a controlled fashion and reassembling it, but because of the trans-physical properties of living beings like neuroelectric energy and the higher brain functions. I think that energizing the brain tissue would have the same effect as electrocution and that all existing neurochemical activity would be lost in the transport. That is just MY personal thought on it. The body NEVER gets a "reboot" from the moment of conception. It stays "on" continuously for the entire length of your life without ever really "rebooting". It only goes into a less active sleep state (forgive my computer thinking on this :)). Transporting a being with a living brain would kill it IMO.

There it is. The red bolded marks you as somebody who really does not know or care about the differences. Relax, you are in the majority. :) Star Trek fans are way more picky, and about the same picky things we pick out in Star Trek. I don't always just want to be entertained. :) Sometimes I want to be challenged. Sometimes I want to be inspired. You can get all of that in Star Trek, but only entertainment from Star Wars. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily.