The Official Trailer is up - Godzilla 2014

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This Godzilla actually looks a bit better in action than it does in stills. I'm still optimistic as this Godzilla is still very much Godzilla and not a giant iguana. That said, I do find myself wondering what we would be seeing had they given the Godzilla project to Guillermo Del Toro.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This Godzilla actually looks a bit better in action than it does in stills. I'm still optimistic as this Godzilla is still very much Godzilla and not a giant iguana. That said, I do find myself wondering what we would be seeing had they given the Godzilla project to Guillermo Del Toro.

That still was taken from your YouTube clip and enhanced. :), They only show him for exactly 1.5 seconds. He looks exactly like the toy you posted, complete with the features shown on the toy. No doubt about it, they have changed his look significantly. Even iguanas still look reptilian. This thing looks like a cross between a bear, a pitbull and an alligator.

VERY VERY INTERESTING: Since last night, they have edited the video to take Godzilla out of the clip! The still I got came directly from the clip you posted last night. I can see why they did that, He looks awful. :( I dont mean scary awful, I mean "OMG, what the hell did they do to Godzilla?" awful. Crawlers are now turning up hundreds of leaked images. Here are a few:

998871_10201372081761689_223510603_n_zps787b4c69.jpg
godzilla-1.jpg
Godzilla15.jpg
godzillasaurus.jpg
images.jpg

He now has four front claws which are more prominent because they are white like his teeth. His feet are now short and have stubby claws like an elephant's foot. He has a pointed tongue (OMG, I almost thought they had given him a forked one). And last but not least, his new eyes are glowing red with red pupils too. Looks like this is done both with CGI and with a suit. Why change him? AGAIN? :facepalm:

The real Godzilla does not approve!

newgodzillasucks.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would not agree it is significantly different. Look at the large variance in designs just within the various Toho eras.

This Goji has a head that is a bit alligator-ish but still recognizably Godzilla. For an example of a Godzilla that looked just wrong I offer up Godzilla 2000:

godzilla_2000_by_ltdtaylor1970-d5spj80.jpg

This Godzilla got a lot of snickers amongst Goji fans as was dubbed "frogzilla" because the mouth was too wide and the face was almost expressionless. Toho actually tried making adjustments to the head in Godzilla v Megaguiras and then actually got rid of it and replaced it with a different head on the same body in Godzilla x Mechagodzilla.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Back to this Godzilla.

I think in one respect there is a bit of an experiment going on here - this is the first true Godzilla that is fully CGI. I think they are trying to find a form and figure that looks fluid and such in action and as such in stills it is not as slick looking. And as long as it ACTS like Godzilla (correct personality and includes things like nuclear fire breath and relative invulnerability to modern weapons) the look can be fine tuned in sequels provided this one does well.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Back to this Godzilla.

I think in one respect there is a bit of an experiment going on here - this is the first true Godzilla that is fully CGI. I think they are trying to find a form and figure that looks fluid and such in action and as such in stills it is not as slick looking. And as long as it ACTS like Godzilla (correct personality and includes things like nuclear fire breath and relative invulnerability to modern weapons) the look can be fine tuned in sequels provided this one does well.

I am taking a "wait and see" approach. I dont like the way the new Godzilla looks, but they can make it up if he acts like Godzilla and sounds like him.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would not agree it is significantly different. Look at the large variance in designs just within the various Toho eras.

This Goji has a head that is a bit alligator-ish but still recognizably Godzilla. For an example of a Godzilla that looked just wrong I offer up Godzilla 2000:

godzilla_2000_by_ltdtaylor1970-d5spj80.jpg

This Godzilla got a lot of snickers amongst Goji fans as was dubbed "frogzilla" because the mouth was too wide and the face was almost expressionless. Toho actually tried making adjustments to the head in Godzilla v Megaguiras and then actually got rid of it and replaced it with a different head on the same body in Godzilla x Mechagodzilla.

Reptiles do not have skulls shaped in a way that would allow for Godzilla's new head. The squared jaws, flat topped skull and red eyes just dont work for me. Godzilla has yellow eyes, not red. They have put EARS on him. :facepalm: No reptile has protruding earlobes...not until now. :) It looks like they got at least some inspiration from a vicious pitbull terrier, and added in some ideas from an alligator and more from a bear.

The blogosphere is swarming with people who dont like this new Godzilla design.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What blogs? I searched and found none.

The two primary places for Godzilla talk on the web are Toho Kingdom and Monster Zero:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/index.php?reload=1

http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php

Both have had animated discussions on the look. Basically while there is a split between those who love it and those who aren't as thrilled there is a consensus that it is a legitimate Godzilla look and not an abomination like GINO from the TriStar film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What blogs? I searched and found none.

The two primary places for Godzilla talk on the web are Toho Kingdom and Monster Zero:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/index.php?reload=1

http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php

Both have had animated discussions on the look. Basically while there is a split between those who love it and those who aren't as thrilled there is a consensus that it is a legitimate Godzilla look and not an abomination like GINO from the TriStar film.

Those sites will have mostly those who are okay with anything coming from Toho or from the kaiju world. Some of the stuff I am referring to:

http://www.thegeektwins.com/2013/12/six-reasons-new-godzilla-2014-teaser.html#.U0HtPfldV8E

And then there is this thread at Toho Forums:

http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16903&sid=fd17f84d991a867b9419306afc7f7b53

I am going to love it even if I dont like the new design IF they have his trademark sounds and he acts the same and has blue fire (it isnt green, it isnt red, it isnt fire, and it isnt yellow...its blue. :)), I will like it like I loved Pacific Rim. But I will wait and see and have few expectations. I already know I dont like the design, but perhaps the rest will make up for it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually neither site is especially accepting of Toho, and they have been the main gathering places for many years (in the case of Monster Zero decades). And they are divided on this Godzilla's design - seems roughly half like it and half are ambivalent. Where they are together is in agreeing it is not a stupid iguana like in 1998.

Right now we have to wait and see how he acts. Blue fire seems to be confirmed by insiders but has not appeared in trailers yet. And he will be fighting other Kaiju (the MUTOs) that is confirmed. On May 15th we'll find out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is a good shot angle - it shows Godzilla off well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The film is starting to have its exclusive previews. This is one of the limited reviews (attendees are under NDA until May 11th):

This film was f**king monumentally awesome! I wanted to write a bad review just to piss off Aspie but I can't. First things first the serious tone of this movie works incredibly well. It's not so serious that you can't have fun, the fun is all with GODZILLA. They nailed his character. He's intelligent, badass and above all scary. He's terrifying and yet you're on his side to kick the MUTOs arse. He's massive, and his ridiculous size is totally believable: every step, every roar, every movement carries so much weight. His roar is sooo loud, I was watching this in a screen with a Dolby sound system and it shook the room, literally. if this doesn't win an Oscar for sound design I'll be surprised! It was like the first time you heard Jurassic Park.
I could cream more over how amazingly well they nailed the G but I think that sums it up. They nailed Godzilla. Oh and his atomic breath...I needed new under wear.

It's from the AVP forums:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=12157.13410
--- merged: May 4, 2014 10:24 PM ---
And a new video clip too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There is a sort of spoiler of his nuclear breath floating around now. It is based on a licensed video game from the film which had access to the actual film footage and CGI design work.

Blue white fire with blue white lighting up of the dorsal plates right before discharge. Apparently a VERY powerful fire breath too - think the fire breath from GMK but even more destructive force.

Also his size is apparently massive - on the order of 150 meters which makes this the biggest Godzilla ever shown on film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is a sort of spoiler of his nuclear breath floating around now. It is based on a licensed video game from the film which had access to the actual film footage and CGI design work.

Blue white fire with blue white lighting up of the dorsal plates right before discharge. Apparently a VERY powerful fire breath too - think the fire breath from GMK but even more destructive force.

Also his size is apparently massive - on the order of 150 meters which makes this the biggest Godzilla ever shown on film.

The fire HAD to be done a certain way if this was to be Godzilla. :) We both know that Godzilla only has blue white fire and that his dorsal plates must fluoresce when firing. His size is probably an adjustment for time and modern standards. Back when he was created, a 30 story building was considered a tall skyscraper. Today, office buildings in large cities have several average skyscrapers with 50 or more stories, and Godzilla of the past would have been dwarfed by them. The Tokyo he destroyed over and over had no building taller than 40 stories, and he wasn't much taller than those. :)

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Another one? wasn't the last one a bomb? :daniel01:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another one? wasn't the last one a bomb? :daniel01:

The 1999 film with Matthew Broderick bombed in large part because their "Godzilla" wasn't Godzilla. It was totally rejected by Kaiju fans and indeed it's nickname is GINO (Godzilla In Name Only). Toho has kept on making Godzilla movies and this licensing arrangement came about a couple of years ago and this time Toho put stipulations in the contract about the depiction of Godzilla - to prevent another GINO.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
but then it had matthew broderick in it! :P Very over-rated IMHO!