The Official Trailer is up - Godzilla 2014

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, not the same thing. One has elements of theoretical and actual science built into the genre and the other is just pure nonsensical fantasy. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Haters-gonna-hate-strutting-cat.jpg

:)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
See, that's consistent. You accept the genre for what it is, absolute fun nonsense that needn't be explained too thoroughly. If they do, it opens the whole thing up to too much scrutiny on other matters and destroys it.

That's why I disliked SGU more than anything else, it invited the scrutiny, and failed

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's why I disliked SGU more than anything else, it invited the scrutiny, and failed

Yes, but these kaiju movies do not invite scrutiny because they have no scientific canon backing them up. Merlin can do magical shit because the canon says he can. :beguiled:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Kaiju movies may not, but that is not what Bluce is saying, he is saying Pac Rim does.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Kaiju movies may not, but that is not what Bluce is saying, he is saying Pac Rim does.

And I have been telling him why it does not. :) Unless you are a kaiju fan, NONE of them are going to make any sense. But Pacific Rim made things move a bit closer to science fiction than the hundreds of kaiju movies which came before it. In many ways, it is more firmly anchored in reality than the Avengers in the Marvel universe. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True.

Basically Pacific Rim was a touch more logically grounded than other Kaiju films (and indeed than most recent SciFi films) in that it actually explained where its Kaiju came from and why they acted in the manner that they did. They also explained why they developed the Jaegers (bombs and guns and other military hardware were unable to take Kaiju down before they did a lot of destruction) and even had a good reason for the two pilot system. But keep in mind all of these simply meant that Pacific Rim did a better job of following its own "world rules" not that it became scientifically plausible.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True.

Basically Pacific Rim was a touch more logically grounded than other Kaiju films (and indeed than most recent SciFi films) in that it actually explained where its Kaiju came from and why they acted in the manner that they did. They also explained why they developed the Jaegers (bombs and guns and other military hardware were unable to take Kaiju down before they did a lot of destruction) and even had a good reason for the two pilot system. But keep in mind all of these simply meant that Pacific Rim did a better job of following its own "world rules" not that it became scientifically plausible.

Im still in love with Pacific Rim, but that is because like you, I am also a kaiju fan and have been one since childhood. :). Im good with this reboot/remake/reimagining, because they have kept Godzilla intact. They even have his trademark metallic roar/screech. :) Click this link to hear it.

http://www.godzillatemple.com/hidden/zilla4.wav

Godzilla...the real Godzilla...cant make any other sound than that when he roars or its not him, simple as that. :eusa_snooty: :P He has to have the back plates, and when he breathes nuclear fire, his plates MUST also fluoresce.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes, but these kaiju movies do not invite scrutiny because they have no scientific canon backing them up. Merlin can do magical shit because the canon says he can. :beguiled:

Except you said they need to properly explain Godzilla's fire breath because just saying "well, he was born from a nuke blast and his breath is nuke breath" isn't enough. :D

Bluce Ree

And I have been telling him why it does not.

No. You guys have completely drifted away from what I said. OM1 contradicts himself in that he says it's ok for Pacific Rim to be all childish and silly with its canon but for Godzilla 2014 "they are going to have to tell us some how and why" he shoots fire from his mouth "if they want him to be loved in the 21st century like he was for the past few decades".

Ergo, Pacific Rim need no 21st dentury common sense but Godzilla 2014 does.
bth_Duh-Dull.gif

I replied that what he's saying about Godzilla 2014 is what I said about Pacific Rim. Nothing about scrutiny, just that I dislike scifi movies aimed at adults where basic common sense is thrown out the window.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Except you said they need to properly explain Godzilla's fire breath because just saying "well, he was born from a nuke blast and his breath is nuke breath" isn't enough. :D

neo.gif

:P

B

Backstep

Pacific Rim = Giant robots punching giant monsters in the face.

Godzilla = The imagination from the unknown effects of fallout of the time.

Both are fun so I don't care.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Pacific Rim = Giant robots punching giant monsters in the face.

Godzilla = The imagination from the unknown effects of fallout of the time.

Both are fun so I don't care.

Right on! They ARE fun arent they? Rubber monster costumes and bouncing boulders and cheesy effects and all. :) But in that genre, Pacific Rim has set the new standard.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im glad Godzilla was not in Pacific Rim. :) But they are going to have to explain where he came from in this movie. The idiotic lizard they had in the American version with Broderick at least had a plausible origin (as far as science fiction goes), but them making it a hermaphrodite and laying eggs and such...:facepalm: Godzilla can shoot "fire". He is takker than many skyscrapers, and they are going to have to tell us some how and why if they want him to be loved in the 21st century like he was for the past few decades. :). He looks the same though! No mistaking him for any other creature. They even got his trademark screech right.

Pet Iguana from Fukushima

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, not the same thing. One has elements of theoretical and actual science built into the genre and the other is just pure nonsensical fantasy. :D

That is because Star Trek is science fiction, and kaiju movies ARE fantasy. My point is that starting with Pacific Rim, they seem to be trying to move it closer to science fiction than it has ever been before. Star Wars is also nonsensical fantasy :anim_59:

Bluce Ree

That is because Star Trek is science fiction, and kaiju movies ARE fantasy. My point is that starting with Pacific Rim, they seem to be trying to move it closer to science fiction than it has ever been before. Star Wars is also nonsensical fantasy :anim_59:

I agree 100% about star wars. :D