The Official Trailer is up - Godzilla 2014

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Will the sequel introduce Godzuki?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One thing we have going for us is that when Toho licensed Gojira to Legendary Films they put stipulations into the contract about Gojira's sound, look and general capabilities. That was because they were incensed over the Matthew Broderick film and wanted no repeats of GINO.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One thing we have going for us is that when Toho licensed Gojira to Legendary Films they put stipulations into the contract about Gojira's sound, look and general capabilities. That was because they were incensed over the Matthew Broderick film and wanted no repeats of GINO.

Those things ARE Godzilla...none of them can be changed or it is not Godzilla. He is not like a spaceship which can be changed from one production to the next. he cannot be redesigned or upgraded like they do the Batmobile or the Enterprise. His sound alone tells us who he is. It is so distinctive, it could be put in a completely different genre at half volume and I would still instantly recognize it. However, they COULD do him entirely in CGI, and lose the rubber suits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
With the latest trailer out and also some of the toys have hit the web prematurely, we have a pretty good notion of what Godzilla looks like. And so far he seems similar to his Toho persona. The snout is narrower, the posture a bit more saurian but he has all the "essentials" of Godzilla. Fire breath and roar have also been confirmed. So far so good.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With the latest trailer out and also some of the toys have hit the web prematurely, we have a pretty good notion of what Godzilla looks like. And so far he seems similar to his Toho persona. The snout is narrower, the posture a bit more saurian but he has all the "essentials" of Godzilla. Fire breath and roar have also been confirmed. So far so good.

As you know, they have played around with his head more than a few times. They have changed the size and number of his teeth many times as well as the shape of his head and eyes. The only consistent things from day one are his roar and fire breath. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still like the Gojira from GMK (Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Daikaiju Sogugeki). The eyes with no pupils plus the belly got it the nickname of "Bubba Goji" and it was a VICIOUS Godzilla:

GMK_-_Godzilla_Looks_Over.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I still like the Gojira from GMK (Godzilla Mothra King Ghidorah: Daikaiju Sogugeki). The eyes with no pupils plus the belly got it the nickname of "Bubba Goji" and it was a VICIOUS Godzilla:

GMK_-_Godzilla_Looks_Over.png

They should have kept that Godzilla. IIRC, that was the only one they used the eyes with no pupils, no?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, the only one. It kind of made Goji look like a zombie Gojira.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, the only one. It kind of made Goji look like a zombie Gojira.

He looked (and acted) different for Godzilla in that movie. He was meaner and less vocal in the GMKG Giant Monsters All-Out Attack than he was in the previous movies. But then by Gozilla vs Mechagodzilla, he was back to his previous incarnation. I say he was the least scary and least monster-like when he was in Destroy All Monsters. They made his face friendly and gave him (and Minya) those full lips, and less frowny eyes. He almost seemed like a pet in that film to me. :( I never could understand why they invented Minya.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I love the Goji from the original Godzilla versus Mothra:

1000x1000.jpg

This is a picture of a toy but the detailing is pretty accurate and captures how fierce they make him look.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is a leaked image of a Godzilla 2014 toy:

New-Godzilla-toy-leaked.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is a leaked image of a Godzilla 2014 toy:

New-Godzilla-toy-leaked.jpg

Hmmm...not so sure about that snout. Looks almost bear-like or canine. :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A touch bear like yes. This is a closer head shot:

.facebook_-165478768.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Keeping in mind it is a plastic toy, the snout is a little boxier than we've seen before. However this is still definitely Godzilla and not a giant iguana like in the 1998 TriStar abomination. And he has his roar and fire breath. I'm hopeful.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Keeping in mind it is a plastic toy, the snout is a little boxier than we've seen before. However this is still definitely Godzilla and not a giant iguana like in the 1998 TriStar abomination. And he has his roar and fire breath. I'm hopeful.

Ah, I can put my finger on it now...the top of the skull is unnaturally sloped, both the upper and lower jaws have a pronounced "squaring" that has not been on any previous Godzilla I have seen, his eyes are no longer reptilian, and his teeth have been abbreviated to the point that they no longer look menacing. They almost look like herbivore teeth. :(

Im hoping that this Godzilla makes up in his behavior what he lacks in his new looks. It is going to be interesting to see a fully CGI Godzilla. Im sure some of this will be done in a costume though, huh? Do you know?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah, I can put my finger on it now...the top of the skull is unnaturally sloped, both the upper and lower jaws have a pronounced "squaring" that has not been on any previous Godzilla I have seen, his eyes are no longer reptilian, and his teeth have been abbreviated to the point that they no longer look menacing. They almost look like herbivore teeth. :(

Im hoping that this Godzilla makes up in his behavior what he lacks in his new looks. It is going to be interesting to see a fully CGI Godzilla. Im sure some of this will be done in a costume though, huh? Do you know?

That's why I mentioned we need to remember we're looking at a plastic toy here. The glimpses we have seen in the trailers seem to indicate he is toothier than this toy does. More and sharper.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
More toy pics:

Godzilla_2014_12HTT_01_zps20339459.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Remember we know from the Trailer that the back spines are a different color.

I am liking this - it looks very Toho.

Trailer for reference:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
New clip:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
New clip:

:bored: I am still somewhat excited about the possibilities in this film, but the new Godzilla is indeed like the toy you posted. A peculiar and decidedly canine/alligator snout, with squared off corners. :facepalm:. And the steeply raked skull looks unnatural, along with the far too narrow eye sockets. Visually (in my opinion), they have gone too far. But Once we see more of him in action perhaps that will make up for it?

godzilla.png