The Official Trailer is up - Godzilla 2014

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
It's out. I saw the matinee showing. It could have been a solid 8/10 film but a few serious flaws hurt the film. I'm okay with most of the focus being on the human characters as many of the Toho ones did too but the film tends to shift focus on the more boring characters to its detriment. Aaron Tyler-Johnson gets most of the screentime but his character is extremely bland and can't carry a scene at all. For what happens to that character, he should have a lot more development and growth but his character remains flat throughout. Ken Watanabe is woefully underutilized in the film and his character spends most of his screentime with his assistant staring at each other with a worried look on their faces. A complete waste of a talented actor.

The film has alot going for it. The cinematography is quite good and as is the musical score. The MUTO monsters are definitely cool and menacing. The monster on monster fighting while limited in screentime looks great far better than the last Godzilla film Final Wars. If they cut out about 20-30 minutes of Aaron Tyler-Johnson screentime, the film would have had much better pacing and a better ratio of interesting (Bryan Cranston) to dull (ATJ, Olson) character screentime. Overall, ok film and much, much better than 1998 Godzilla. It's obvious the director paid homage to Toho and did his best to honor the series but a few dull characters that get way too much emphasis spoil what could have been a strong film.
Yep, that's how I felt. Soldier guy was so bland and shouldn't have been the main character. I hated Ken Watanabe's character so much in this one. He did what you said, just stared pensively eating up screentime. He was almost entirely a completely useless character. Most of the human characters were pretty weak, no one I could get into really. They felt very much like filler.

I'd recommend people watch it anyways if they're into giant monster movies. The slow build-up to Godzilla's reveal was great. His roar and presence was fantastic in Imax. The level of destruction felt appropriate for the scope of the monsters. Typical army crap to use a bomb was implemented, which I didn't like.

I'll just spoiler some other bits for folks that haven't watched it yet:
Ken Watanabe had all that time and all those resources and scientists at his disposal, but he was such a shitty scientist. Bryan Cranston seemed to have made more progress than Ken's entire team. His whole team seemed so pointless on so many levels. I hate useless characters like that. Guy gets all pseudo-spiritual after a while for some reason.

One thing I didn't like, due to my nature, was the death of the Muto's babies. I felt bad for the mother. All she wanted was to give life. That part might have been just been me. End kill when Godzilla did his breath down Muto's mouth was crazy. People laughed at that part. I was still feeling bad for the mother though.

Didn't really understand the Muto's attraction to radiation (or what constitutes as radiation in the first place cause that seemed like some geothermal kind or nuclear reactors?) and how that is their food source.

I really liked the ferocity, gigantic scope, and monstrous nature of the monsters. They didn't feel silly as opposed to Pacific Rim (sorry, I know a couple of you liked that one). Godzilla had some cool moves during his fights. His eyes were a bit too beady.

Bryan Cranston's character was the only decently acted one in this one. The only character I cared about. He did his obsession and eccentricity stuff well after the tragedy he went through. Too bad he died, that sucked. Kickass kid can't carry the rest of the movie after that. He still sounds like a kid before puberty.

Wonder where they will go with it after this one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll just make the same note - Kaiju films are not character pieces. Really the only reason such films even have human characters in them is to put the giant creatures into a bit of perspective.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll just make the same note - Kaiju films are not character pieces. Really the only reason such films even have human characters in them is to put the giant creatures into a bit of perspective.

There are very few human characters in the kaiju world that recur. Dr Sarizawa (sp?) has been there from the beginning, and Emiko recurs as well. But they are there only as supporting cast and Godzilla is ALWAYS the star. Kaiju movies do not lend themselves well to a bunch of interpersonal garbage.

Im hearing that the interpersonal crap takes up the first hour of the film, then Godzilla shows up? I was going to pay to see this in 3D, but I think I will wait until more reviews are in. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Per Variety and other box-office sources it did 38.5 million yesterday. They have revised the opening weekend estimate up again, to 98 million domestic.

Reviews are still mostly favorable. CinemaScore is B+, Rotten Tomatoes aggregate is still "fresh" (and as usual moviegoers are scoring it higher than professional critics like they do on most films there). IMDB giving it a 7.7 /10.

Much like Pacific Rim, the reviewers who like the genre or at least understand it give the film very high scores while those who don't like the genre or don't "get" the genre are less positive. Which of course speaks to professional reviewers - really if a film is in a genre they just don't care for that fact should be in the first paragraph of their review.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Per Variety and other box-office sources it did 38.5 million yesterday. They have revised the opening weekend estimate up again, to 98 million domestic.

Reviews are still mostly favorable. CinemaScore is B+, Rotten Tomatoes aggregate is still "fresh" (and as usual moviegoers are scoring it higher than professional critics like they do on most films there). IMDB giving it a 7.7 /10.

Much like Pacific Rim, the reviewers who like the genre or at least understand it give the film very high scores while those who don't like the genre or don't "get" the genre are less positive. Which of course speaks to professional reviewers - really if a film is in a genre they just don't care for that fact should be in the first paragraph of their review.

I tend to only read a couple of professional reviewers. I prefer to read dozens of actual "regular viewer" reviews on IMdB or elsewhere to get a real picture of any film. Having said that, Im hearing consistently that the only thing wrong with the film was the fact that the first hour of it was boring because of the male lead actor and somebody playing a soldier? (I have not seen this movie yet). But they are also saying that the rest of the movie makes up for it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True. Most of the "professional reviewers" who give Godzilla middling reviews also did the same to Pacific Rim. They don't get the genre or don't like it or both. They should either recuse themselves from reviewing it or put right in the header of their review that they don't like Kaiju films. It's called intellectual honesty.

Red Mage

Boney
Having said that, Im hearing consistently that the only thing wrong with the film was the fact that the first hour of it was boring because of the male lead actor and somebody playing a soldier? (I have not seen this movie yet). But they are also saying that the rest of the movie makes up for it. :)

I'm trying to avoid as many story spoilers as possible until everyone sees the film, I actually thought the first hour was good. It was the 2nd act that killed the film for me and the third act (last 20 minutes) paid off but not nearly enough to regain the steam lost from the middle portion of the film.

The 45 minutes is pure character development and setting up the story, it does this pretty well and where 97.4% of all film's character development occurs. A bit of spoiler warning here, I'll be as vague as possible: Then the film does a bait n' switch character change around the hour mark switching from the well developed scientist character who got a huge amount of the character development in the first act as the main focus to the soldier character who so bland and gets zero character development despite becoming the main focal character for the rest of the film. This is a lengthy film, it's over 2 hours. Soldier boy gets probably close to half screentime of the film. It's an awful lot of time to spend on a dull character and my biggest complaint with the film. If they cut Aaron Tyler Johnson screentime down by half, I would have enjoyed the film more. They had more than screentime filmed to do that (minor SPOILER i.e cut out the asian kid sidestory on the train SPOILER) and still provide a film of appropriate length. There's a bit of Godzilla "blue balling" in the 2nd act, they cut away from Godzilla when the action starts to build a pay off for the ending part. It did pay off but they could have snuck an extra minute or two in the middle part of the film of godzilla wrecking something.

Godzilla and monsters have maybe 15-20 minutes screentime which is not unusual but for non-fans expecting Godzilla to tear shit up for two hours straight, it was probably a bit disappointing and a cause of negative reviews. Basically, the film boils down to: a good first act, an underwhelming 2nd act and short but redeeming third act. Not there aren't good scenes in the 2nd act, there's actually a ton of action but it's really hard to care about the uninteresting characters in them.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually most reviews have been quite positive. The negative reviews have been in the distinct minority.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm trying to avoid as many story spoilers as possible until everyone sees the film, I actually thought the first hour was good. It was the 2nd act that killed the film for me and the third act (last 20 minutes) paid off but not nearly enough to regain the steam lost from the middle portion of the film.

The 45 minutes is pure character development and setting up the story, it does this pretty well and where 97.4% of all film's character development occurs. A bit of spoiler warning here, I'll be as vague as possible: Then the film does a bait n' switch character change around the hour mark switching from the well developed scientist character who got a huge amount of the character development in the first act as the main focus to the soldier character who so bland and gets zero character development despite becoming the main focal character for the rest of the film. This is a lengthy film, it's over 2 hours. Soldier boy gets probably close to half screentime of the film. It's an awful lot of time to spend on a dull character and my biggest complaint with the film. If they cut Aaron Tyler Johnson screentime down by half, I would have enjoyed the film more. They had more than screentime filmed to do that (minor SPOILER i.e cut out the asian kid sidestory on the train SPOILER) and still provide a film of appropriate length. There's a bit of Godzilla "blue balling" in the 2nd act, they cut away from Godzilla when the action starts to build a pay off for the ending part. It did pay off but they could have snuck an extra minute or two in the middle part of the film of godzilla wrecking something.

Godzilla and monsters have maybe 15-20 minutes screentime which is not unusual but for non-fans expecting Godzilla to tear shit up for two hours straight, it was probably a bit disappointing and a cause of negative reviews. Basically, the film boils down to: a good first act, an underwhelming 2nd act and short but redeeming third act. Not there aren't good scenes in the 2nd act, there's actually a ton of action but it's really hard to care about the uninteresting characters in them.

This is the most straightforward commentary I have read on the film from a viewer. The reviews at IMdB are not nearly as easy to read. Kudos!

Yep, everyone is saying Aaron Tyler Johnson messed up the film...rather, he was the messed up part of the film. The studio better figure out the kaigu genre REAL quick if they want to make Godzilla a money-making franchise. They will have to resign themselves to the fact that Godzilla is always the leading man, the top billed star, and the center of the story and the films he is in. Pacific Rim got around that by having the Jaegers and having them manned by pilots which can then become memorable characters, and Godzilla was not in that film (for that reason). It is never necessary or wise to throw any A-list actor in a Godzilla film, because he/she would be a total waste of talent. Kaiju fans dont follow human characters. They follow the monsters and the king and star of them all is Godzilla. If Godzilla is in a kaiju film, he MUST be the victor amongst the monsters, and he cant be killed off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually most reviews have been quite positive. The negative reviews have been in the distinct minority.

I agree. But those negative reviews have to be looked at in order to improve the next film. The studio needs to avoid using any A-list actors in a Godzilla film. They dont need any character development except for the monsters. Give their backstory, define their enemies and show them fighting and smashing stuff. :)

Godzilla films are not a star-making vehicle for any human actor.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Some of them do. But really I strongly suspect 95% of the reviews that get down on Aaron Tyler Johnson do so because they do not understand the exact point you were making, and Gareth Edwards did. The human characters are only there to provide a human dimension to the monsters, who are what the whole story point towards. And the reviewers that "get it" actually state this fact in the review - the human characters are not super developed but in a Kaiju film they should not be as they only exist to provide a relatable backdrop to the Kaiju.

Red Mage

Boney
They will have to resign themselves to the fact that Godzilla is always the leading man, the top billed star, and the center of the story and the films he is in.

You might not like this film because Godzilla's role in the film feels like the "and ___" at the end of the main cast role than the top billing. Most of the attention is given to the dealing with the M.U.T.O. with Godzilla being the secondary threat in the human perspective.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually that happens in a lot of Godzilla films - in fact his appearing a bit later in the film is also common. The "enemy" kaiju comes on the scene and weeks havoc and Godzilla shows up later to oppose it/them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some of them do. But really I strongly suspect 95% of the reviews that get down on Aaron Tyler Johnson do so because they do not understand the exact point you were making, and Gareth Edwards did. The human characters are only there to provide a human dimension to the monsters, who are what the whole story point towards. And the reviewers that "get it" actually state this fact in the review - the human characters are not super developed but in a Kaiju film they should not be as they only exist to provide a relatable backdrop to the Kaiju.

Exactly. :) You can tell Gareth Edwards is a Kaiju fan. And although I have not seen the movie yet, I am really hoping that people start becoming curious about the older Kaiju movies.

You know something...a Kaiju of the Week episodic style television series could do very very well in the 21st century. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Boy did they ever underestimate the boxoffice on this one.....

The projected 60-65 million opening weekend.

it's at 93.2 million so far with a whole day to go. Worldwide it is at 196 million already - with the markets anticipated to be its biggest foreign sells (Japan and China) still 3-4 weeks from opening. Remember that Asia was what put Pacific Rim into the black so the fact that in all likelihood they will be at or over 2X production cost before opening there means........sequel all but assured.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You might not like this film because Godzilla's role in the film feels like the "and ___" at the end of the main cast role than the top billing. Most of the attention is given to the dealing with the M.U.T.O. with Godzilla being the secondary threat in the human perspective.

Okay, I saw this. I really cant be specific without spoiling it just like you said. But yeah, this movie almost makes Godzilla's appearance a very long cameo rather than the central threat or character of the movie. That isnt a good thing IMO. Soldier boy takes up way WAY too much screen time, and even with that they do not develop the character. Why is he a main character in this film? I got bored of seeing him and bored of hearing his voice. I got bored of his girlfriend too. There is a lot more, but I will say this:

1. This is most definitely a real kaiju film done in the original style.
  2. The monsters behave like kaiju are supposed to behave, and the CGI monsters act like they would if there were humans in suits making them move (this is good)
  3. The music is properly done, with an orchestra and in a march style (like all kaiju movies)
  4. This is a dark film (as in dark lighting, not theme)
  5. An effort was made to give him a connection to the 1954 Godzilla creature and his origins
  6. Not enough Godzilla
  7. Too much character interaction
  8. Not as exciting as Pacific Rim
  9. Door left wide open for sequels
I liked this movie, but I was also expecting a lot better in terms of story and overall execution

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll be finding out on Tuesday. That said, remember Godzilla frequently comes off a bit like a supporting character in films bearing his name. Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is one example of this and another is actually GMK.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'll be finding out on Tuesday. That said, remember Godzilla frequently comes off a bit like a supporting character in films bearing his name. Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is one example of this and another is actually GMK.

This isnt like that. :( In this movie, they start setting up a scientist character in the beginning and it is actually pretty interesting. But suddenly at about the hour mark, they switch the focus onto the most uninteresting (and most frequently seen) character in the movie which is Ford Brody played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson. AKA "Soldier Boy".

I cant say much more without spoiling it, so I will wait until you have seen it. It is definitely not going to bomb or fail with audiences, but as a kaiju fan you may feel a bit let down with aspects of this film.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, that's how I felt. Soldier guy was so bland and shouldn't have been the main character. I hated Ken Watanabe's character so much in this one. He did what you said, just stared pensively eating up screentime. He was almost entirely a completely useless character. Most of the human characters were pretty weak, no one I could get into really. They felt very much like filler.

I'd recommend people watch it anyways if they're into giant monster movies. The slow build-up to Godzilla's reveal was great. His roar and presence was fantastic in Imax. The level of destruction felt appropriate for the scope of the monsters. Typical army crap to use a bomb was implemented, which I didn't like.

I'll just spoiler some other bits for folks that haven't watched it yet:
Ken Watanabe had all that time and all those resources and scientists at his disposal, but he was such a shitty scientist. Bryan Cranston seemed to have made more progress than Ken's entire team. His whole team seemed so pointless on so many levels. I hate useless characters like that. Guy gets all pseudo-spiritual after a while for some reason.

One thing I didn't like, due to my nature, was the death of the Muto's babies. I felt bad for the mother. All she wanted was to give life. That part might have been just been me. End kill when Godzilla did his breath down Muto's mouth was crazy. People laughed at that part. I was still feeling bad for the mother though.

Didn't really understand the Muto's attraction to radiation (or what constitutes as radiation in the first place cause that seemed like some geothermal kind or nuclear reactors?) and how that is their food source.

I really liked the ferocity, gigantic scope, and monstrous nature of the monsters. They didn't feel silly as opposed to Pacific Rim (sorry, I know a couple of you liked that one). Godzilla had some cool moves during his fights. His eyes were a bit too beady.

Bryan Cranston's character was the only decently acted one in this one. The only character I cared about. He did his obsession and eccentricity stuff well after the tragedy he went through. Too bad he died, that sucked. Kickass kid can't carry the rest of the movie after that. He still sounds like a kid before puberty.

Wonder where they will go with it after this one.

The human characters weighed this movie down, except for Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston). Adding in some character interaction in remakes might engage a new segment of the viewing audience, but in this case it just took up too much time and too much of the story.

I totally agree about Watanabe's character Serizawa, whose name goes back to the original 1954 movie. Dr Serizawa was who identified the original Godzilla, and his assistant-girlfriend was Emiko Yamane. In the original, his girlfriend helped him balance his brooding demeanor. But in this movie, he was just this pensive, emo nobody who was only there for name recognition (a bone to kaiju fans). Bryan Cranstron's character made sense, and his motivations made sense. Them they kill him off and dump the story onto boring soldier dude? :facepalm:. I would have thrown something at the screen at that point if I had something soft. :)

Soldier boy killed this film's excitement for me. All of the characters connected to him were boring as well, except for his mother who was caught in the radiation in the beginning. But we have his dad, his son, his wife and his mother all in the same film? Im not liking that at all. We do not need a human family saga connected with Godzilla, and we dont need Dr Serizawa. And why the useless military stuff they were going? There were people firing machine guns at Godzilla...as if.

I think its cool you have empathy for the Muto babies. I didnt, but I do understand what the mother was doing. I dont understand why Godzilla automatically decided they were enemies though. The head of those creatures and the wings reminded me a lot of Rodan which is another kaiju.

I agree about the size and ferocity of the monsters, but I think they should have done them more like Pacific Rim. There was too much smoke used in this film, and not much of the monster fighting was done in daylight.

*meh* I will wait till everyone has seen it and then we can discuss details at length. :)