THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They seemed to be consistent with the ships not having it unless I missed a scene. Ceres seemed to have it by dint of rotating the asteroid to simulate gravity by centripetal force and on the ships it seemed to be consistent with acceleration.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
There is no "artificial gravity" in the Expanse universe. If you're on a planet, moon or asteroid, you're dealing with the natural gravity of that body, except in a case like Ceres, which has been hollowed out and made to spin at a higher rate for an approximate 1/3G for the inhabitants inside. If you're on a ship, you're either in zero-g and use magnetic boots to get around or you float free. We could see the Canterbury spinning while in free-flight, the only times it doesn't spin is when it's under acceleration.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There is no "artificial gravity" in the Expanse universe. If you're on a planet, moon or asteroid, you're dealing with the natural gravity of that body, except in a case like Ceres, which has been hollowed out and made to spin at a higher rate for an approximate 1/3G for the inhabitants inside. If you're on a ship, you're either in zero-g and use magnetic boots to get around or you float free. We could see the Canterbury spinning while in free-flight, the only times it doesn't spin is when it's under acceleration.

Good point.

Whatever my feelings are about the story (or lack thereof so far), this show so far cannot be faulted on its fidelity to actual physics. Indeed, we also have seen nothing in the show approaching "fantasy tech". Everything we have seen could actually be done right now with current tech.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good point.

Whatever my feelings are about the story (or lack thereof so far), this show so far cannot be faulted on its fidelity to actual physics. Indeed, we also have seen nothing in the show approaching "fantasy tech". Everything we have seen could actually be done right now with current tech.

Have they given us a time frame? What year is it?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I believe it is set around 2200. With that in mind one could say they are being slightly pessimistic on progress in space technology. That said, I do appreciate them keeping the tech restrained to stuff we either already literally have or is a projection from stuff we already have.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
I can't recall any specific year given in the books, but I think it's more mid-23rd Century or a bit later.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can't recall any specific year given in the books, but I think it's more mid-23rd Century or a bit later.

The tech seems more like 2100-2150.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I believe it is set around 2200. With that in mind one could say they are being slightly pessimistic on progress in space technology. That said, I do appreciate them keeping the tech restrained to stuff we either already literally have or is a projection from stuff we already have.

This. I originally did not give this thing credit for having any science in it, but it does. I still would not classify it as high science fiction though. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

When I hear of such an advanced date for a story setting I usually assume there was some sort of major war that halted all progress for awhile. That seems to be a common gimmick/trope/explanation.

Last edited:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Classic SF authors were overly optimistic concerning the rate of advancements in space travel and planetary exploration. Current writers set things further into the future because they know most readers would be skeptical of such progress in a shorter period of time. Yet you seem to be of the opposite opinion.
...some sort of major war that halted all progress for awhile.
Well, if Trump becomes President, there's no telling what might happen. Or Hillary, or anyone else for that matter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Classic SF authors were overly optimistic concerning the rate of advancements in space travel and planetary exploration. Current writers set things further into the future because they know most readers would be skeptical of such progress in a shorter period of time. Yet you seem to be of the opposite opinion.

Well, if Trump becomes President, there's no telling what might happen. Or Hillary, or anyone else for that matter.

Advancements in technology are making quantum leaps almost overnight it seems. At this rate I don't see why we couldn't colonize the solar system by the end of this century. Taking until somewhere in the 2200's seems a bit long to me so I just figured that some momentous event happened to slow things down. It's just conjecture on my part.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
It's the propulsion system developed by Solomon Epstein that made it work in the Expanse 'verse. They had already established bases on the moon and Mars, but until he came along, the long transit times to the asteroid belt and especially the moons of Jupiter and Saturn prohibited expansion. If we assume the series begins in 2250, that means the Epstein Drive was developed around 2100. That gives them about 150 years to get to the point where the series starts, permanent bases on several Jovian and Saturnian moons, as well as a thriving shipping center on Ceres and several other asteroid mining colonies. No matter how fast technology advances, it still takes time to get all the infrastructure in place for those bases.

You may be right, and a breakthrough in propulsion could be just around the corner. I hope in occurs in my lifetime, but I'm already 65 and know I don't have much longer. If I live to be 100, that takes me to 2050. I expect we'll have landed men on Mars by that time, but no permanent base there or maybe not even on the moon.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Advancements in technology are making quantum leaps almost overnight it seems. At this rate I don't see why we couldn't colonize the solar system by the end of this century. Taking until somewhere in the 2200's seems a bit long to me so I just figured that some momentous event happened to slow things down. It's just conjecture on my part.

I agree. I cannot see the Democratic Party of the United States of America allowing unfettered capitalism in the outer solar system.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

It kind of makes sense Shaved. Consider that with current propulsion technology Ceres would be a goodly long trip. IIRC the universe in the books posits very slow growth (Luna and Mars) until as noted by ecgordon the Epstein Drive (basically a big breakthrough in efficiency for Fusion Rockets) provides ships with sufficient speed to make regular travel to the belt and inner planets practical. IIRC the drive is developed somewhere around 2070 and the premiere episode is somewhere around 2200.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's the propulsion system developed by Solomon Epstein that made it work in the Expanse 'verse. They had already established bases on the moon and Mars, but until he came along, the long transit times to the asteroid belt and especially the moons of Jupiter and Saturn prohibited expansion. If we assume the series begins in 2250, that means the Epstein Drive was developed around 2100. That gives them about 150 years to get to the point where the series starts, permanent bases on several Jovian and Saturnian moons, as well as a thriving shipping center on Ceres and several other asteroid mining colonies. No matter how fast technology advances, it still takes time to get all the infrastructure in place for those bases.

You may be right, and a breakthrough in propulsion could be just around the corner. I hope in occurs in my lifetime, but I'm already 65 and know I don't have much longer. If I live to be 100, that takes me to 2050. I expect we'll have landed men on Mars by that time, but no permanent base there or maybe not even on the moon.
It kind of makes sense Shaved. Consider that with current propulsion technology Ceres would be a goodly long trip. IIRC the universe in the books posits very slow growth (Luna and Mars) until as noted by ecgordon the Epstein Drive (basically a big breakthrough in efficiency for Fusion Rockets) provides ships with sufficient speed to make regular travel to the belt and inner planets practical. IIRC the drive is developed somewhere around 2070 and the premiere episode is somewhere around 2200.

But - but, what about a eugenics war? There's always a eugenics war to slow things down. :moody:

ecgordon

Star's Hero
But - but, what about a eugenics war? There's always a eugenics war to slow things down. :moody:
Don't forget politicians who won't fund projects. It was nine years between the last manned moon landing and the first shuttle flight. It was nineteen years between the demise of Skylab and the launch of the ISS. It's been several years since the last shuttle flight without an replacement vehicle funded by NASA.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree. I cannot see the Democratic Party of the United States of America allowing unfettered capitalism in the outer solar system.

I cannot see the GOP lasting past this next election.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now let's get back to the show THE EXPANSE.....

And on that since it will be over a week before there are any new installments to see the room to discuss is a little limited.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They've improved recently.

Dark Matter was okay and so was Killjoys. Basic low budget but entertaining action shows with space sauce. Z Nation is an entertaining and funny riff on zombie shows. The Expanse has promise if the second episode advances the story properly. Childhood's End.....we'll see. The book wasn't the best book ever and it looks in the previews like they do diverge from it somewhat.

On the other hand, we have a prominent member here with a connection to it...