THE EXPANSE --it's premise, plot and socio-political implications

I cancelled Prime Video . I will have to find another way to support The Expanse . I am not watching anything online without my VPN period ...
OMG the movies on prime are beyond garbage .

;)

Yeah, the movies included with Prime are lousy. You have to pay to get any sort of first run, top tier movie. I had a similar problem with Netflix though. I couldn't find anything to watch on them either. Everything was Baliwood junk on Netflix. Prime doesn't have lots of Baliwood stuff but they have a ton of "independent" crap that is God awful. And as for Prime Originals, I have yet to find anything worth watching. I know they have their own shows, like Man in the Tower, but I'm not really drawn to any of them. (And the way they're treating The Expanse is pissing me off.)

At any rate, I'll probably go through the holidays with Prime and then reassess things after that. I don't know if I'd have more luck with Hulu or another service so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, the movies included with Prime are lousy. You have to pay to get any sort of first run, top tier movie. I had a similar problem with Netflix though. I couldn't find anything to watch on them either. Everything was Baliwood junk on Netflix. Prime doesn't have lots of Baliwood stuff but they have a ton of "independent" crap that is God awful. And as for Prime Originals, I have yet to find anything worth watching. I know they have their own shows, like Man in the Tower, but I'm not really drawn to any of them. (And the way they're treating The Expanse is pissing me off.)

At any rate, I'll probably go through the holidays with Prime and then reassess things after that. I don't know if I'd have more luck with Hulu or another service so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I don't understand why the streaming services are drying things up like they are. Do they think people will just swallow the same old "hundreds of new titles included for free!" thing that the cable stations were doing? Yeah, I paid for The Expanse, but it could have been on Walmart.com or even Petsmart.com and I would still have bought it. And Amazon is also selling Showtime, HBO, Starz, CBS All Access and all the other cable rejects trying to get a foothold in streaming. I canceled my Netflix (well, suspended it) because there is just nothing on there I want to watch. Amazon Prime comes with my other Amazon services, so I will keep it for now. If it was only streaming, I would have canceled it by now.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am actually worried about The Expanse . I don't think we are going to see a Season 5 or any after . Why ? Because like puss said , there treating it like the tools are doing at CBS . Big money grab . I watched the Expanse at my friends place on Space and now season 1 and 2 on Crave through paid cable which is included in a monthly service . Amazon is the richest company in the world and The Expanse should be included in the one monthly fee on Prime Video , not as an extra charge . There plan to charge customers to see Season 3 on top of there yearly subscription will kill this show and 4 will be the last one we see , which you also have to pay to see. Bezo's can go to hell . He did not save the Expanse . He just saw another way to make even more money . He does not give 2 shits about this show . His rocket program has gone no where . It is at a stand still because unlike Musk , he is afraid to let a few penny's slip threw his god dam fingers ...
ST is dead , SW is dead and soon so will be The Expanse ...
Give me my crystal ball now . I called it when they cancelled after Season 3 and I am calling it now .
Season 3 and 4 will have to be an extra paid subscription to watch it on top of your yearly fee of Prime Video and no one is gonna fork that extra cash out to see it when everything on Prime is garbage to start with ...

:sour:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am actually worried about The Expanse . I don't think we are going to see a Season 5 or any after . Why ? Because like puss said , there treating it like the tools are doing at CBS . Big money grab . I watched the Expanse at my friends place on Space and now season 1 and 2 on Crave through paid cable which is included in a monthly service . Amazon is the richest company in the world and The Expanse should be included in the one monthly fee on Prime Video , not as an extra charge . There plan to charge customers to see Season 3 on top of there yearly subscription will kill this show and 4 will be the last one we see , which you also have to pay to see. Bezo's can go to hell . He did not save the Expanse . He just saw another way to make even more money . He does not give 2 shits about this show . His rocket program has gone no where . It is at a stand still because unlike Musk , he is afraid to let a few penny's slip threw his god dam fingers ...
ST is dead , SW is dead and soon so will be The Expanse ...
Give me my crystal ball now . I called it when they cancelled after Season 3 and I am calling it now .
Season 3 and 4 will have to be an extra paid subscription to watch it on top of your yearly fee of Prime Video and no one is gonna fork that extra cash out to see it when everything on Prime is garbage to start with ...

:sour:

Well, here in the US, people are raving about it as much as they are around the world. And unlike CBS Ass Access, people are actually shelling out the money to buy Season 3, and will likely do so for further seasons. At roughly $30.00 for Season 3, only one million people buying it is 30 MILLION dollars. The show is being watched by more than 9 million. The math adds up very nicely. :). I am glad that Amazon is not shouldering the cost for this show as much, now that they own exclusive rights to distribution. I think this show will go through all the books.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Also I was reading critics reviews on the Expanse when it first came out . All most all of these so called critics reviews seemed confused about the show ? Huh ? What the hell was there to be confused about ? It's set in space , there's a mystery regarding why ships are being blown up . What the hell more did you need to know to not get you hooked ? I was hooked almost instantly once July was done with her sjw scream scene . I called the show the Exspensive as the visuals were blowing my mind . The skill involved to making this series was astounding , yet the critics where confused ? It seemed they wanted the entire story told to them in the first episode ! Would you turn a page in a book and read the last page ? No ffs . Just look at this screen shot of rotten Tomatoes ... Are these critics stupid or something ? Did they not watch the same show as the viewers did ?
Of course the reviews eventually went up to 100% but that first season should have grabbed everyone's attention as it did mine . I was so sick of bad Sci-Fi shows being on tv or shows about vampires and demons being called Sci-Fi that I had absolutely nothing that I would watch on TV . So spent my time playing games , killing zombies and flying airplanes and playing with real Corvettes and real Motorcycles . Nothing grabbed me like the Expanse the first time I saw it . It was like I was a kid again when the first Trek episodes hit the airwaves . It just spun up your imagination and you were lost in another landscape for a few fleeting moments and nothing else mattered at the time .
Today for a show to get your attention it has to have splosions and boring as shit drama . The Expanse has splosions and even drama but man is it well delivered and done right . I lost count now as to how many time I have watched the Expanse series . Once it is dead, gone and forgotten , at least we will have the books and then I can get lost again as I did as a young boy with those first few episodes of Star Trek OS , and now again with The Expanse .
Screen Shot 10-07-18 at 06.28 AM.PNG

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Well, here in the US, people are raving about it as much as they are around the world. And unlike CBS Ass Access, people are actually shelling out the money to buy Season 3, and will likely do so for further seasons. At roughly $30.00 for Season 3, only one million people buying it is 30 MILLION dollars. The show is being watched by more than 9 million. The math adds up very nicely. :). I am glad that Amazon is not shouldering the cost for this show as much, now that they own exclusive rights to distribution. I think this show will go through all the books.
Ok so my dim outlook may have been ill conceived then . Glad to see it is finally getting the accolades it deserves . 9,000,000 ? Holy crap !

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ok so my dim outlook may have been ill conceived then . Glad to see it is finally getting the accolades it deserves . 9,000,000 ? Holy crap !

;)

I am guesstimating that number. :) I have no proof that there are 9 million watching it, but I have heard that number tossed around. I will look for more concrete information. It was nowhere near that when it was on Syfy...about half that (or less).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am guesstimating that number. :) I have no proof that there are 9 million watching it, but I have heard that number tossed around. I will look for more concrete information. It was nowhere near that when it was on Syfy...about half that (or less).
Last I saw it had only 400,000 viewers which is disgusting when that other show had supposed millions of viewers .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last I saw it had only 400,000 viewers which is disgusting when that other show had supposed millions of viewers .

The Orville DOES have 9 million. Discovery opened to almost as many, but now that is way way way down because none of it is free. I really had no problem plunking down $30.00 for Season 3 of The Expanse. Didn't even think twice.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just finished up S1 and S2 . Starting S3 now . I am still getting goose bumps watching this ...

:shep_wave2:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just finished up S1 and S2 . Starting S3 now . I am still getting goose bumps watching this ...

:shep_wave2:

I know...I have rewatched the show at least three times already. :) The books follow almost exactly, but because the books are not as visual as the series, they do not spoil the episodes really. You know WHAT is going to happen, but not how it will look.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I will wait to watch the series before I read them all . I like visual first , then reading about it after ...
You know like Playboy and adolescence ,,,
;)

My problem is not with The Expanse, it's with the BS way they are offering it. Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, is the richest man in the world. He makes more in 1 minute than any of us makes on average in a year. I already pay for an Amazon Prime membership. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that fee and then pay more just to put another mink on Bezos' back. There's no reason he can't put a few million into improving the programming options for Amazon because right now they stink. I know the company is not a charity but at the same time it's not a rummage sale; they need to stop treating the company as if it is.

The way this guy makes money is mind blowing. Check it out:

http://time.com/money/5262923/amazon-employee-median-salary-jeff-bezos/

Here’s where we have to do some math. According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Bezos’ net worth on Jan. 1 was $99 billion. On May 1, it was $132 billion, meaning it rose $33 billion. If you divide that difference by the 120 days in that period, you find that he made $275 million a day. Divide that by 24 hours in a day to get about $11.5 million per hour, the equivalent of roughly $191,000 per minute or — the clincher — $3,182 every second.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

That number is deceiving because SyFy all along was releasing first run episodes online on both their own platform and Amazon the day after they aired. So people had nothing driving them to watch it on SyFy television. So when Amazon bought it they had firm numbers off of their own platform (which we do not know) to tell them whether it was worth the buy or not.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That number is deceiving because SyFy all along was releasing first run episodes online on both their own platform and Amazon the day after they aired. So people had nothing driving them to watch it on SyFy television. So when Amazon bought it they had firm numbers off of their own platform (which we do not know) to tell them whether it was worth the buy or not.

That is why I threw out that 9 million number. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Only took me 1/2 hr to do my voting but done until tomorrow to vote again and the next day and the next day ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until The Expanse is where it's supposed to be . I have question tho , what the hell are the other shows that are there ? All demon weird shit that has nothing to do with Sci-Fi ? Or do they ?...

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hey ,,,Chrome lets you upload vids and pics now . Took them long enough to fix that issue . At least 6 to 8 months ...
;)