The Amazing Spiderman

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Yeah, I'm not sure they're so great for holding burgers and beer bottles. :D

Is vaping allowed in movie theaters? In California I mean... :02.47-tranquillity:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is vaping allowed in movie theaters? In California I mean... :02.47-tranquillity:

Only if you have an Magic Flight (they wont know). :) I would never try it, but I will definitely be "prepared" before going in, and if I want I can recharge after the first movie. I think I will just see one movie. Im not up for two blockbusters. Im leaving now...

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL, I am so out of that loop that I had to look that product up.

http://www.amazon.com/Latest-Model-...75868&sr=8-1&keywords=magic-flight+launch+box

This thing looks complicated. :tongue:

View attachment 7462

That is the whole kit. The vaporizer is the wooden part only:

images (1).jpg

The silver thingie is the battery. :) It creates a vapor which has little or no smell depending on the strain you use. I do not own one...yet. But I will most likely get one since I can legally carry my marijuana in my vehicle, and use it in outdoor spaces without fear of being arrested or ticketed. :) I am not a heavy user.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I saw this movie yesterday and, OH BOY, all I can say is
... meh.

I thought it was a good story, full of action, but I feel they really overdid the CGI. They almost could have shot this film without the actor altogether. The villain was "meh" as well. I felt that whole conflict didn't really last very long and felt more like a backdrop than the actual story.

It got a bit Twilighty, IMO, with the whole teen "I love you" thing.

Good movie but, for me at least, didn't live up to the hype. Great movie for a Netflix night, though.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well that's all I need to know. Looks like I'll wait til it comes to cable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I have "acquired" it. Will watch tonight and give my opinions. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Yeah TAS, while a good movie (and superior to Spiderman 1 & 3), isn't really all that. Enjoyable, but not that memorable. As someone who's seen both, I'm definitely advising to see TDKR on the big screen instead.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I see why you added this caveat! It was most certainly not "all that". Not horrible, but not great.

Yeah TAS, while a good movie (and superior to Spiderman 1 & 3), isn't really all that. Enjoyable, but not that memorable. As someone who's seen both, I'm definitely advising to see TDKR on the big screen instead.

This is a bit different than the glowing OP! Still, this was not a horrible movie. I enjoyed the ride, and it felt like a ride and not really a Spiderman saga. Andrew Garfield did a great job with his character, but that character could have easily been any superhero. Pigeon Man, Technoman, Pizza Man, whatever. The action-y parts were cool, but IMO they strayed too far away from the original Spiderman in most every element as to be SINO (Spiderman in name only). Too much schmaltz thrown in, bad attempts at humor, dumbed down premise (as opposed to the original), :facepalm:.Short list of peeves:

• When did Peter Parker become a master scientist capable of creating tensile liquid threads strong enough to suspend cars from a bridge, as well as the devices needed to generate them on demand?
  • If so, why is Peter still in high school? (if they had not introduced the techno aspect of his web thingys, they could have gotten away with it)
  • Why the forced "hip elements" like the skateboarding, the music montages, the dark wet streets with steam jets... haven't they done that one to death?
  • Gwen...if she is 17, why can she access the top secret areas of Oscorp?
  • How did Peter get into the top secret lab, into the inner sanctum, wearing a fake name tag and knowing nothing of the security systems?

Why did the producers rush through the origins of Spiderman and his abilities? Its because they wanted to get right to the CGI and lizard scenes. The character development in this movie sucked badly. But the overall movie was enjoyable. This movie to me has little rewatch value, and the next one will also be watched at home and not in a theater. Not a horrible movie, but not great.

Meh.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still think that the next big superhero movie should be Super Chicken!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
This is a bit different than the glowing OP! Still, this was not a horrible movie. I enjoyed the ride, and it felt like a ride and not really a Spiderman saga. Andrew Garfield did a great job with his character, but that character could have easily been any superhero. Pigeon Man, Technoman, Pizza Man, whatever. The action-y parts were cool, but IMO they strayed too far away from the original Spiderman in most every element as to be SINO (Spiderman in name only). Too much schmaltz thrown in, bad attempts at humor, dumbed down premise (as opposed to the original), :facepalm:.Short list of peeves:

• When did Peter Parker become a master scientist capable of creating tensile liquid threads strong enough to suspend cars from a bridge, as well as the devices needed to generate them on demand?
  • If so, why is Peter still in high school? (if they had not introduced the techno aspect of his web thingys, they could have gotten away with it)
  • Why the forced "hip elements" like the skateboarding, the music montages, the dark wet streets with steam jets... haven't they done that one to death?
  • How did Peter get into the top secret lab, into the inner sanctum, wearing a fake name tag and knowing nothing of the security systems?

Why did the producers rush through the origins of Spiderman and his abilities? Its because they wanted to get right to the CGI and lizard scenes. The character development in this movie sucked badly. But the overall movie was enjoyable. This movie to me has little rewatch value, and the next one will also be watched at home and not in a theater. Not a horrible movie, but not great.

Meh.

Eh, not as I see it. I stand by what I said about this movie being a major improvement over the previous trilogy, and I find all of the actors in this to be far better compared to the ones used in the other films. It isn't really a great superhero movie, but IMO, neither were any of the previous films (though Spider-Man 2 came sort of close).

Also, re: the bolded, I seem to remember a scene in which Peter ordered the specific type of cable from Oscorp, so he didn't create the cable itself, he just created the device which fires the cable. If I recall correctly, the webshooter thing originated in the comics, and the whole thing with Peter's body producing the webs on it own, in his wrists, is just something which came from the Sam Raimi movies.

Also, Gwen was apprently the chief intern or research assistant/whatever, and Peter got into the lab by watching an employee punch in the correct code for the door.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Meh.

I got the impression that stuff came from Oscorp. He received a box of the stuff, packed in neat little cartridges. He only developed the wrist-band web shooter.

The web material was being made in Oscorp by these enhanced spiders that we saw in the room during the scene where spiders started to rain on Peter. Unless I missed something and wasn't paying attention, I don't think he created or even enhanced any of that.

In the comic books, though, he was a genius student who created the entire web compound himself in his home lab, which was in his bedroom, if I recall.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I got the impression that stuff came from Oscorp. He received a box of the stuff, packed in neat little cartridges. He only developed the wrist-band web shooter.

The web material was being made in Oscorp by these enhanced spiders that we saw in the room during the scene where spiders started to rain on Peter. Unless I missed something and wasn't paying attention, I don't think he created or even enhanced any of that.

In the comic books, though, he was a genius student who created the entire web compound himself in his home lab, which was in his bedroom, if I recall.
yep same for the animated show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
yep same for the animated show.

True, but why the skateboard add-ins? Why did they put Gwen at Oscorp? Why is she a tour guide there when she is only 17 (in the movie), and what was wrong with updating MJ instead of creating Gwen? Why the early reveal? This Peter Parker pulled off the character well, but not the science. The original trilogy of movies did this better than the current one. IMO The only "tech" I saw in Peter's bedroom was that lame electric door lock. :confused0076:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Peter's "home lab" did not really exist in this movie. We saw him creating nifty digital devices and the web shooters in his bedroom, pretty much out of thin air. Even with Oscorp's tech knowledge, Oscorp needed a freakin secured lab with high tech equipment to do it. All I saw Peter use was a soldering gun. I know, these things are minor, but I liked the original trilogy with Toby better than this one.

OMNI

True, but why the skateboard add-ins? Why did they put Gwen at Oscorp? Why is she a tour guide there when she is only 17 (in the movie), and what was wrong with updating MJ instead of creating Gwen? Why the early reveal? This Peter Parker pulled off the character well, but not the science. The original trilogy of movies did this better than the current one. IMO The only "tech" I saw in Peter's bedroom was that lame electric door lock. :confused0076:
why are you asking me? i havnt seen this shitfeast of a movie and i most likly never will..

but i do think you are just nitpicking on really small things just be glad you enjoyed the movie on some level and didnt end up wasting all that money on it and dont waste more energy picking apart an imo shitty movie.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

Originally in the comics, Gwen actually was Peter's love interest before MJ. I them he didn't even meet MJ until after he was out of high school and Gwen had died when he attempted to save her after the Green Goblin dropped her from a bridge, the same event we saw in the first Spider-Man movie, only with MJ instead of Gwen, and MJ actually surviving.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I like the idea of the webs coming from his body as part of the spider thing verses him being a super genius who does the Batman thing and creates all sorts of gadgets. Admittedly the issue of having the webs shoot from his backside, provided they want to be accurate, is problematic. There's a hilarious episode (they're all hilarious really) of Venture Bros. where Dean goes to intern in New York city and "Brown Widow" (voiced by Nathan Fillion) drops in and they show that his webs shoot of a place on his body that's more anatomically correct as spiders go. That show is so great, I love it.

There's also a cute scene where Dean is wearing his Spiderman pj's and you see him climb up the wall of his bedroom. Hilarious stuff indeed.

tumblr_m6oabsRb5s1r4ckogo1_500.png

OMNI

Originally in the comics, Gwen actually was Peter's love interest before MJ. I them he didn't even meet MJ until after he was out of high school and Gwen had died when he attempted to save her after the Green Goblin dropped her from a bridge, the same event we saw in the first Spider-Man movie, only with MJ instead of Gwen, and MJ actually surviving.
and in the the animated goblin sent her to another dimension i think.. why are you guys even arguing this? its a SUPERHERO themed movie and we all know in the comic superhero movie universes there int really "canon" since each story has been ripped up retold or discarded atleast a hundred times each depending on which artis/writer/douche owned the rights at that point in time...

seriously.. this is just... :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
and in the the animated goblin sent her to another dimension i think.. why are you guys even arguing this? its a SUPERHERO themed movie and we all know in the comic superhero movie universes there int really "canon" since each story has been ripped up retold or discarded atleast a hundred times each depending on which artis/writer/douche owned the rights at that point in time...

seriously.. this is just... :facepalm:

Come on man, get your geek on! :daniel_new_anime021

Besides, it's what we do here, we analyze the shit out of stuff and point out the failures and the successes. As it is I'm not gonna fault this version of Spiderman too much cuz it doesn't have Toby "I can't act" Maguire in it, thank God! That fact alone gives this movie a thumbs up.