The Amazing Spiderman

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
So I just came back from seeing this movie, and I gotta say, this was a major improvement over the previous trilogy. I very much recommend it to all of you. :beckett_new049:

I especially have to compliment Andrew Garfield on his performance, he is hands down a far superior Peter Parker compared to Toby McGuire, who I honestly never really liked that much. Garfields portrayal certainly brings in a lot more fun, snark and banter into the character (the way it should be, IMO), while still managing to bring the emotional intensity required without moving into emo territory like McGuire did a lot of the time. Also, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is obviously miles better than Kirsten Dunst's MJ (:smiley-015:) and she has got a degree of chemistry with Garfield which means that the romance, which also happens to be written far better than in the original trilogy, works better and isn't really that annoying at all. Also, I gotta throw out a word for Martin Sheen playing Uncle Ben, something which he does excellently despite it being a pretty minor part. Then again, Martin Sheen is great in pretty much everything he's in, so it's not exactly surprising. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I just came back from seeing this movie, and I gotta say, this was a major improvement over the previous trilogy. I very much recommend it to all of you. :beckett_new049:

I especially have to compliment Andrew Garfield on his performance, he is hands down a far superior Peter Parker compared to Toby McGuire, who I honestly never really liked that much. Garfields portrayal certainly brings in a lot more fun, snark and banter into the character (the way it should be, IMO), while still managing to bring the emotional intensity required without moving into emo territory like McGuire did a lot of the time. Also, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is obviously miles better than Kirsten Dunst's MJ (:smiley-015:) and she has got a degree of chemistry with Garfield which means that the romance, which also happens to be written far better than in the original trilogy, works better and isn't really that annoying at all. Also, I gotta throw out a word for Martin Sheen playing Uncle Ben, something which he does excellently despite it being a pretty minor part. Then again, Martin Sheen is great in pretty much everything he's in, so it's not exactly surprising. ;)

This is GREAT! I was hoping it would be good. :) I will most likely see this before the week is out. Why not write a review? :emmersed:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
This is GREAT! I was hoping it would be good. :) I will most likely see this before the week is out. Why not write a review? :emmersed:

You should definitely go and see it, it's well worth paying for.

Well, I won't be writing a review since I'm unfortunately busy with a lot of other stuff. For one, I'm currently writing a pilot script as an assignment for my last year at the Media Program, and I want to make sure it turns out well so I'm spending a lot of time obsessing over it. Honestly, I think I'm spending far too much time obsessing over it in fact, and I should probably just try and relax and maybe this bout of writers block I've had for about a week, will finally let go.... Oh well. :fatigue:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
New Batman or new Spiderman... Hmmmm...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You should definitely go and see it, it's well worth paying for.

Well, I won't be writing a review since I'm unfortunately busy with a lot of other stuff. For one, I'm currently writing a pilot script as an assignment for my last year at the Media Program, and I want to make sure it turns out well so I'm spending a lot of time obsessing over it. Honestly, I think I'm spending far too much time obsessing over it in fact, and I should probably just try and relax and maybe this bout of writers block I've had for about a week, will finally let go.... Oh well. :fatigue:

Thanks for the heads up on the new Spiderman. I was just about to start a thread asking if anyone has seen it yet and if it's worth going to see. I have to take my car in for some work tomorrow otherwise I'd go see it then. :icon_cry:

As for the writers block sometimes the best thing you can do is to put the project away in a drawer so to speak and forget about it for awhile (unless you have a deadline to meet that is). If you can't do that then perhaps OM1's suggestion of writing a review of this movie would be a brief and mentally healthy distraction for you. It doesn't have to be a giant, endless, heavily detailed review either; just one that is concise and hits the main points of what is good and bad with it. A couple paragraphs, nothing more.

Oh -- and I, too, didn't care for Toby Maguire in the role of Spiderman which is why I'm stoked about seeing this new version. Emma Stone is quite appealing also.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Spiderman, definitely. After all, aren't you getting tired of Christian Bale? He takes himself too seriously and is just fatiguing I find. He's fast approaching the insufferable level attained by others such as Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler.

So, yeah, Spiderman, definitely. :icon_e_biggrin:

SciphonicStranger

Spiderman, definitely. After all, aren't you getting tired of Christian Bale? He takes himself too seriously and is just fatiguing I find. He's fast approaching the insufferable level attained by others such as Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler.

So, yeah, Spiderman, definitely. :icon_e_biggrin:

I’m just wondering how many different incarnations of these superhero movies need to be produced before the original idea is completely worn out. Would it be so bad if someone in Hollywood came up with a completely new idea for a movie someday? :confused:

At least we have Star Trek 2 to look forward to… Not being negative ya' know! :tongue:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I’m just wondering how many different incarnations of these superhero movies need to be produced before the original idea is completely worn out. Would it be so bad if someone in Hollywood came up with a completely new idea for a movie someday? :confused:

At least we have Star Trek 2 to look forward to… Not being negative ya' know! :tongue:

I hear you about the lack of originality out there today. The comic book thing seems to have exploded and we now have remakes of Batman and Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk (did we really need one hulk movie let alone two of them???). As for Spiderman, well, I was so turned off by Toby "Emotionless" Maguire that I am glad they remade the story so quickly. It's a good story so I'm looking forward to seeing it now that there's someone who can actually act in the lead role.

SciphonicStranger

I hear you about the lack of originality out there today. The comic book thing seems to have exploded and we now have remakes of Batman and Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk (did we really need one hulk movie let alone two of them???). As for Spiderman, well, I was so turned off by Toby "Emotionless" Maguire that I am glad they remade the story so quickly. It's a good story so I'm looking forward to seeing it now that there's someone who can actually act in the lead role.

I was OK with the Tobey flicks. He brought a little bit of an anyman feel to those films.

Speaking of original, I just watched Orgazmo on Starz - now that's a superhero movie that will never be reimagined! :lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm still waiting for the big screen remaining of "Super Chicken"...:icon_e_surprised:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Those days were called the 80s and 90s. They're gone now.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Thanks for the heads up on the new Spiderman. I was just about to start a thread asking if anyone has seen it yet and if it's worth going to see. I have to take my car in for some work tomorrow otherwise I'd go see it then. :icon_cry:

As for the writers block sometimes the best thing you can do is to put the project away in a drawer so to speak and forget about it for awhile (unless you have a deadline to meet that is). If you can't do that then perhaps OM1's suggestion of writing a review of this movie would be a brief and mentally healthy distraction for you. It doesn't have to be a giant, endless, heavily detailed review either; just one that is concise and hits the main points of what is good and bad with it. A couple paragraphs, nothing more.

Oh -- and I, too, didn't care for Toby Maguire in the role of Spiderman which is why I'm stoked about seeing this new version. Emma Stone is quite appealing also.

Yeah that's true, however I'm not sure yet if I'll write a review since I've got a buddy of mine staying over for a few days and we don't see each other very often so I'm not really spending much time on the computer.

IMO, Toby Maguire really wasn't the right pick to play spiderman, because he really had no range to speak of. In every scene he was in he either came off as really awkward, really annoying, or a mixture of both. And yes, Emma Stone is definitely a plus ;), as well as a major improvement over the unbelievably flat and plain bad "performance" Kirsten Dunst gave us.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am going to see this today. :) I will write my review tonight.

Bluce Ree

Go see both. Or, see both at the same time. Sneak into the Spiderman theater and leave a cell phone with video calling set up on a seat facing the screen connected to your cell phone and watch it while you're watching Batman in the other theater. Yeah! And if you hold up your phone to the screen it will look like Batman vs Spiderman!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Go see both. Or, see both at the same time. Sneak into the Spiderman theater and leave a cell phone with video calling set up on a seat facing the screen connected to your cell phone and watch it while you're watching Batman in the other theater. Yeah! And if you hold up your phone to the screen it will look like Batman vs Spiderman!

:icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing024:

Not a bad idea to see both tho.....:)

They happen to be both playing in the same theater. And YES I am taking in my own shiznit and if they try to run up on me its ON! :shep_lol:

Bluce Ree

:icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing024:

Not a bad idea to see both tho.....:)

They happen to be both playing in the same theater. And YES I am taking in my own shiznit and if they try to run up on me its ON! :shep_lol:

Dude! It's time to sneak in! See Batman first because it's new and they will most likely be watching people trying to sneak in and, after it's done, just walk into the Spiderman theater. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude! It's time to sneak in! See Batman first because it's new and they will most likely be watching people trying to sneak in and, after it's done, just walk into the Spiderman theater. :D

Im already trying to think of ways to get stuff in there. I wish I have one of those handy dandy Survival Kits from SGU. :( I could just pull a whole theater out of it, including the parking structure and maybe a few greenbacks? :devilish:

Bluce Ree

Im already trying to think of ways to get stuff in there. I wish I have one of those handy dandy Survival Kits from SGU. :( I could just pull a whole theater out of it, including the parking structure and maybe a few greenbacks? :devilish:

:laughing::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024:

You can always bring a date with a giant purse.