Terra Nova

G

Graybrew1

But why invest all the time and tech into developing a time machine if you are going into a closed ended option? the worry of a meteor is a fact of Earth's history. If they go back to the dinosaur age(s) they or their descendants will be dead. So why not go to another time of make some kind of ship or wormhole thingy and go somewhere else?
Oh , I know--because ppl are "awesomeded (hey Presidents can make up words why not me?) by dino's and some body in some CGI studio wanted to make them and Spielberg is trying to "go with what he knows"--got it!

Don't hold back. Are you even gonna watch it now? :P
You sound MAD at Spielberg. My question to you guys is does every TV show have to make sense, can't it just sometimes be fun to watch? I suppose you all hated Jurassic Park too?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Don't hold back. Are you even gonna watch it now? :P
You sound MAD at Spielberg. My question to you guys is does every TV show have to make sense, can't it just sometimes be fun to watch? I suppose you all hated Jurassic Park too?

I never said I hate it..I am just trying to deflate expectations single -handedly so that it might have a chance of staying on the air-That "reverse-psychologic" thingy :joy:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Ahh, so this is a time travel thing? Dang, was hoping they were going to another world.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
But why invest all the time and tech into developing a time machine if you are going into a closed ended option? the worry of a meteor is a fact of Earth's history. If they go back to the dinosaur age(s) they or their descendants will be dead. So why not go to another time of make some kind of ship or wormhole thingy and go somewhere else?
Oh , I know--because ppl are "awesomeded (hey Presidents can make up words why not me?) by dino's and some body in some CGI studio wanted to make them and Spielberg is trying to "go with what he knows"--got it!

Yes but it's not a "closed ended option" when you have countless millions of years ahead of you, and your progeny, in which to live. They would literally have more time to figure out options for the human race than the human race has even existed for currently. I know that's a brain twister but think about it, humans haven't been around for that long at all. Human civilization has only been around for approximately 10,000 years. Homo homo sapiens have only been around for approximately 100,000 years. (Don't ask me why it's "homo homo sapiens" with two homos, that's just how they say it in history class now. Seriously.) Compared to the dino period this is nothing. It's barely a speck of time. The meteor wouldn't even be on anyone's radar if they went back far enough.

So you see, if they went back to a point where they had millions of years stretching ahead of them (in which they knew the relative geological history) they would be better off than we are now since we don't know what the hell awaits us tomorrow.

And as for why they didn't use some other wormhole plot device, who knows? Perhaps they have and we just don't know it yet. Or, it's just how they wrote the story and we have to accept it. If I can accept space vampires I guess I can accept time travel to a dino world. Admittedly the time travel aspect can get a bit hinky, unless it's done as a Michael Crichton jump-to-an-alt-universe time travel gimmick, then I guess it makes sense. (Crichton's "Timeline" while a bit cheesy and melodramatic as page turners go was also good on the science of time travel theories. At the same time he was also flawed in that same area. But it makes for good debate and a good basis for a fictional story.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes but it's not a "closed ended option" when you have countless millions of years ahead of you, and your progeny, in which to live. They would literally have more time to figure out options for the human race than the human race has even existed for currently. I know that's a brain twister but think about it, humans haven't been around for that long at all. Human civilization has only been around for approximately 10,000 years. Homo homo sapiens have only been around for approximately 100,000 years. (Don't ask me why it's "homo homo sapiens" with two homos, that's just how they say it in history class now. Seriously.) Compared to the dino period this is nothing. It's barely a speck of time. The meteor wouldn't even be on anyone's radar if they went back far enough.

So you see, if they went back to a point where they had millions of years stretching ahead of them (in which they knew the relative geological history) they would be better off than we are now since we don't know what the hell awaits us tomorrow.

And as for why they didn't use some other wormhole plot device, who knows? Perhaps they have and we just don't know it yet. Or, it's just how they wrote the story and we have to accept it. If I can accept space vampires I guess I can accept time travel to a dino world. Admittedly the time travel aspect can get a bit hinky, unless it's done as a Michael Crichton jump-to-an-alt-universe time travel gimmick, then I guess it makes sense. (Crichton's "Timeline" while a bit cheesy and melodramatic as page turners go was also good on the science of time travel theories. At the same time he was also flawed in that same area. But it makes for good debate and a good basis for a fictional story.)

Ok so they got some time :) The trailer-or web site-says they go back 85 mill yrs the impact occurred 65 mill yrs ago (http://www.universetoday.com/35116/chicxulub-crater) . So they have 20 mill yrs to "party on":joy: But still, why choose to go there? I think anything in space/diff planet/ alien possibilities would be far more interesting than dinosaurs--again.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ok so they got some time :) The trailer-or web site-says they go back 85 mill yrs the impact occurred 65 mill yrs ago (http://www.universetoday.com/35116/chicxulub-crater) . So they have 20 mill yrs to "party on":joy: But still, why choose to go there? I think anything in space/diff planet/ alien possibilities would be far more interesting than dinosaurs--again.

Perhaps they did not choose the time, perhaps it was the only time they could "connect" to?
Perhaps because they knew an extinction level event was coming at some point, there would be no record of thier previous existance to modify the timeline that they currently exist in?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Maybe going back in time was the only option. Like they built a time portal but haven't perfected space travel or found an alien planet.

At the end of the day its just the premise they went for - dinosaurs are no more played out than human space colonies or aliens are anyway. And on TV I'd say they are less played out.

Dinosaurs are cool and can eat people. Also Yoshi.

EDIT: Like the extinction event/ not messing up the timeline idea. Cool premise.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

:daniel_new_anime021

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Maybe going back in time was the only option. Like they built a time portal but haven't perfected space travel or found an alien planet.

At the end of the day its just the premise they went for - dinosaurs are no more played out than human space colonies or aliens are anyway. And on TV I'd say they are less played out.

Dinosaurs are cool and can eat people. Also Yoshi.

EDIT: Like the extinction event/ not messing up the timeline idea. Cool premise.

Ahh, if only I could claim the idea as my own :(

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Terra Nova will only air 13 episodes of time travel and dinosaurs

Sad news for those folks who like dinosaur dramas like Fox's new Terra Nova. The studio will only be airing 13 episode of the first season. Same goes for Alcatraz, and NBC's new double life drama Awake. Terra Nova, which follows the Shannon family from the devastated future of 2149 to 85 million years in the past, has suffered a lot of hits lately. The rainy shooting location, huge writing staff turnover, and massive rewrites have stalled the production at every turn. Last we heard they hadn't even managed to shoot enough footage to make a complete first episode 00 which is sad because we're still jazzed about this show's premise.

http://io9.com/5820118/terra-nova-will-only-air-13-episodes-of-time-travel-and-dinosaurs

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........lol there's almost no information about it besides the premise.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
:lol:

The guys at South Park had a little fun with Terra Nova last week. This is mildly offensive so spoiler if you want to avoid... ;)

G

Graybrew1

Time for Terra Nova again.
I hope this ep is a good one tonight.

SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

G

Graybrew1

You know these Sixers are starting to annoy me a bit. If they are from the same time in the future as the others from Terra Nova then why do they look like they came from a remake of Mad Max or like wearing war paint? :PThey look dirtier and unkemp and yet they have kick butt tech just like the others.:confused:

G

Graybrew1

NO spoilers but I must say..........................Nice twist. :D