Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im not understanding the Four character (the Samurai dude). Why does he spend all of his time...and I mean ALL of his time playing around with that dumb sword in a time when there is FTL and plasma weapons? I was watching episode 9 and this guy meets several other guys in the forest (Planet Vancouver) and they all have swords too? It is just a dumb swordfest like in Kill Bill and makes no sense. I felt the same way about the new Sulu in Trek. Why a Samurai sword? Even Sulu used his phaser most of the time. This guy is always in that room playing with that dumbass sword.

hqdefault.jpg

I think it's dumb to have that whole storyline where he is a prince and all...a prince in the future? So...monarchies are all the rage in the future?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One great thing about the writing in this show is that they manage to make me believe that the warehouses and corridors they go to on these planets are actually on those planets and not in Vancouver. :) The sets for the ship and the strategically created CGI shots are simple and facilitate the storytelling instead of trying to impress me with polygons and particle densities.

dark-matter-ship.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, it is not a lightsabre :P

Kinda my point...:) Everytime we see him, he is doing his Worf thing in that room with his sword...er..."Zaibatsu". Swinging at phantom assailants. What is the point? That weapon One has can throw him across the room even on a ricochet. If I were one of the other people in that crew and I did not know what he was, I would think he was part of a circus act or the entertainment on the ship. Maybe the sushi chef?

SerenityS

GateFans Member
The entire show is shot and produced in Toronto. JM is always writing about having to live there instead of Van (or Japan). They are gearing up to start production on Season 2 now.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I can't help but wonder why the part of One or Three was not offered to Joe Flanagan. He would have been perfect. And Two could have been done by Lexa Doig. They have David Hewlett in there. Still, the cast they have is good. :) I think poor Joe Mallozzi was treated like the stepchild in Stargate and that Brad was basically training him with treats (like credits for episodes). Same with Mullie. Mallozzi and Mullie are a decent team. And I only mean this for television, NOT for movies necessarily.

Yeah, let's not forget the vile language he used to lash out against the people who disliked SGU. I see no reason to start showering him with pink streamers and cotton candy balloons just because he has a half decent show on the air.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
^Also, doubt that we'll be seeing J. Flanigan in any series JM has a part in. Evidently the two don't exactly get along and JM said years ago that he holds a grudge.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ROFL!!!!

Umm...........

See? I dont know anything about swords and stuff. :) Still, it has to do with empires in Japan...why is this guy on a starship capable of FTL sparring phantoms with a sword?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, let's not forget the vile language he used to lash out against the people who disliked SGU. I see no reason to start showering him with pink streamers and cotton candy balloons just because he has a half decent show on the air.

Yes, I remember well. When you watch this show, you can see the influence that the previous Stargate stars had on the creation of the characters. Three is obviously the role that somebody like Joe Flanagan would have filled. His look, his demeanor, even his "real" self looks sorta like Joe. Then there is Two who looks a lot like Lexa Doig and her character has the same qualities. Add that to the fact that David Hewlett and Torri Higgenson are in the show.

But the real nose rubbing is being given to Brad Wright and Robert Cooper. Neither one of them are doing anything out there from what I can see. I have crawlers already configured for searching them and there is nothing since 2011. After SGU got canceled, they just dropped off the map altogether.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
^Also, doubt that we'll be seeing J. Flanigan in any series JM has a part in. Evidently the two don't exactly get along and JM said years ago that he holds a grudge.

Yep, he did say that....

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Im not understanding the Four character (the Samurai dude). Why does he spend all of his time...and I mean ALL of his time playing around with that dumb sword in a time when there is FTL and plasma weapons? I was watching episode 9 and this guy meets several other guys in the forest (Planet Vancouver) and they all have swords too? It is just a dumb swordfest like in Kill Bill and makes no sense. I felt the same way about the new Sulu in Trek. Why a Samurai sword? Even Sulu used his phaser most of the time. This guy is always in that room playing with that dumbass sword.

View attachment 31914

I think it's dumb to have that whole storyline where he is a prince and all...a prince in the future? So...monarchies are all the rage in the future?

I disagree with the comment about Monarchies. They have been around for centuries on our planet and many, many ,many , many countries TODAY still have them. It sounds somewhat insulting to nations with them, like both UK and NL, that our future will somehow not have them since were something from the past.

....aside from that let us also not forget Monarchies and royalty in Scifi is nothing new, Princess Leia was also from another planet. ;):tongue:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I disagree with the comment about Monarchies. They have been around for centuries on our planet and many, many ,many , many countries TODAY still have them. It sounds somewhat insulting to nations with them, like both UK and NL, that our future will somehow not have them since were something from the past.

....aside from that let us also not forget Monarchies and royalty in Scifi is nothing new, Princess Leia was also from another planet. ;):tongue:

Well...in my opinion, there is nothing advanced or civilized about ruling over other people as a King or a Queen (or the other sub-royal titles). The good guys are those who LEAD populations, not rule over them. Besides that, the bloodline succession is not democratic or fair (or legitimate). There is nothing inherently "royal" about royalty in those countries which still have monarchies. The future does not have room for monarchies. They are inherently authoritarian. A monarchy will never be responsible for democracy. They are fun to watch, but they are more comparable to the Kardashians and professional sports teams than they are politicians or leaders.

I would be offended if somebody ordered me to kneel before somebody calling themselves "royalty". Forbidding even physical touch. And with regard particularly to the British Queen, I would find it hard to respect somebody who wears a crown encrusted with stolen gems mined by slave labor.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Well...in my opinion, there is nothing advanced or civilized about ruling over other people as a King or a Queen (or the other sub-royal titles). The good guys are those who LEAD populations, not rule over them. Besides that, the bloodline succession is not democratic or fair (or legitimate). There is nothing inherently "royal" about royalty in those countries which still have monarchies. The future does not have room for monarchies. They are inherently authoritarian. A monarchy will never be responsible for democracy. They are fun to watch, but they are more comparable to the Kardashians and professional sports teams than they are politicians or leaders.
Since, I am an married to an NL and live in UK, I have to disagree again. I see nothing more pure in our commonwealth. I think we should not judge how other nations choose to be ruled when ours is so fraked up. Monarchies are not just fun to watch, they are a way of life for much of the world still! Our (USA) way is not right just because we have a democracy...it is just our way.

The future of many European countries will always have Kings and Queens. Kings Day is a big holiday over in NL and the king is loved and honored as is the royal family of UK. Comparing the world's Kings and Queens to a Kardashian is like spitting in their face. It is comments like this which force me to have to defend USA to Euros that say we think we are better than them. It's downright embarrassing. We really are not better than the whole world, we are just different.

I know you guys have strong opinions over here but I find this really offensive to my family and friends in NL and my resident country here so I will drop this or it could get ugly. We will never agree on this one so on that note i will agree to disagree. :cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Since, I am an married to an NL and live in UK, I have to disagree again. I see nothing more pure in our commonwealth. I think we should not judge how other nations choose to be ruled when ours is so fraked up. Monarchies are not just fun to watch, they are a way of life for much of the world still! Our (USA) way is not right just because we have a democracy...it is just our way.

The future of many European countries will always have Kings and Queens. Kings Day is a big holiday over in NL and the king is loved and honored as is the royal family of UK. Comparing the world's Kings and Queens to a Kardashian is like spitting in their face. It is comments like this which force me to have to defend USA to Euros that say we think we are better than them. It's downright embarrassing. We really are not better than the whole world, we are just different.

I know you guys have strong opinions over here but I find this really offensive to my family and friends in NL and my resident country here so I will drop this or it could get ugly. We will never agree on this one so on that note i will agree to disagree. :cool:

Well...you are entitled to your opinions! As far as how Four fits into this show, it seems unlikely that anyone would be using a sword for their primary defense when they have plasma weapons and advanced alloys which cannot be cut with a sword. Besides that, it makes no sense to come out with a sword when your opponent has a hand weapon. The scene where Four is in the forest and guys jump out from the trees also armed with swords. Really? A decent marksman could easily take 10 Samurai warriors out with a Glock and have rounds left over.

This is just dumb for this particular show. He is like Worf, but with a sword and less intimidating.

Three4_small.jpg

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I agree. Most Americans are oblivious to the rest of the planet but that's because the ignorance is ingrained into the society. I've never seen a population so proudly flaunt their stupidity as Americans do.

*sigh*

You start off really strong then you let your 'Murican show. Stop getting so easily offended, it's just so ... so 'Murican. You should pity naysayers not be offended by what they say. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree. Most Americans are oblivious to the rest of the planet but that's because the ignorance is ingrained into the society. I've never seen a population so proudly flaunt their stupidity as Americans do.

*sigh*

You start off really strong then you let your 'Murican show. Stop getting so easily offended, it's just so ... so 'Murican. You should pity naysayers not be offended by what they say. :icon_lol:

Things are going to offend on this site. It does not pretend to be inoffensive, even if we have rules to prevent specific offenses. Slamming royals (or producers or shows or products or places) is going to offend SOMEBODY. In my case, I think the idea of monarchy in the future is offensive. I will not speak on today's monarchies. If we ever get to the stars, it will not be because royalty built rockets or space stations or developed the technology to get there. So, once we get there, why would "royalty" be in charge? Because of a bloodline? Sorry, but no.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan

*sigh*

Honestly, I have just lost the taste for it. I no longer enjoy slamming my head into a wall that will never budge. I am still very much an American, but I feel much more open minded as far as certain aspects of foreign affairs are concerned.

As far as the sword, well, I think they have it for a "cool" retro factor. Is it even somewhat racist to say it alludes back to an old Kung Fu movie since the actor is Asian? :hypnotysed:I will say this much, the man seems well trained. He reminds a lot of the weapon skill set that Steven Amell now possess since he starting playing the Arrow.

This works for me in Dark Matter since he is only one of six. Plenty of the others can use the nifty futuristic laser guns and whatnot. My last comment about it, is sometimes technology fails but a hard long sword is what it is. Look at it like this, I like to read and these days I prefer a Kindle but if I don't have any power then a book would be a much better thing to have. Some people just like old school.