Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I took this show up again, this time I actually made time to watch episodes 1-3 back to back and you know what? I kinda like it. There is the team aspect, and this is episodic. Sure it is done on a budget, and the locals they used are common and on earth, but they managed to make me suspend belief enough to enjoy the episodes. In other words, I like it so far. It's good to have ship based scifi action drama.

The android girl is annoying, but she could polish that character over enough episodes. Data on Trek was stiff and puppet-like in episode 1. Spock grinned and smiled and smirked in the first season of Trek TOS. The rest of the characters need work too. But with time they could be more than okay.

I don't hate the show as much as I thought I would. There are problems with it though such as the forced writing. It really comes across heavy handed sometimes. Even the characters are noticeably forced. It's like the writers wanted us to immediately bond with the crew, that's how obvious the writing is. Personally I think viewer bonding to characters should be more organic and allowed to grow on its own.

I also hate the lighting, or rather, the lack thereof on the show. On the plus side the android doesn't bother me too much except for her (accelerated) desire to be more human. Good Lord that's been done to death! The writers introduced that gimmick wayyyyy too fast in the show. I really have no problem with an AI program being "content" with remaining within its perimeters of being a non-human entity. Not every futuristic show needs a Pinocchio story line. That's just dumb.

As I said earlier I do like the eye candy though. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't hate the show as much as I thought I would. There are problems with it though such as the forced writing. It really comes across heavy handed sometimes. Even the characters are noticeably forced. It's like the writers wanted us to immediately bond with the crew, that's how obvious the writing is. Personally I think viewer bonding to characters should be more organic and allowed to grow on its own.

I also hate the lighting, or rather, the lack thereof on the show. On the plus side the android doesn't bother me too much except for her (accelerated) desire to be more human. Good Lord that's been done to death! The writers introduced that gimmick wayyyyy too fast in the show. I really have no problem with an AI program being "content" with remaining within its perimeters of being a non-human entity. Not every futuristic show needs a Pinocchio story line. That's just dumb.

As I said earlier I do like the eye candy though. ;)

This is actually a very decent show. :) I have been doing a Dark Matter marathon, and it isnt horrible. The style is definitely recognizable as Mallozzi and Mullie. In this premise, they sorta came up with something not quite as derivative of a SINGLE source. The blatant BSG ripoff that Brad and Cooper pulled with SGU could be seen all in BSG specifically. In this, we see some Pandorum, some Firefly-ish backstory, some space action with shuttles (no transporters), and OG tech. Somehow, it comes together in a pleasingly enough way which keeps me engaged. This is definitely a team gig. I like it even better than Killjoys so far...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe I'll give it a second chance. It just struck me as pretentious and turgid.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe I'll give it a second chance. It just struck me as pretentious and turgid.

It turned me off at first too. I started reading some cool things about it on some forums, and decided to give it a second try. It isnt really bad at all. It continues the style of what we got in Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. We get a team of people working together, each with their own special talents. We get a strong leader, we get a strong fighter and a couple of geeks. We get a cool ship with shuttles, cool weapons and an android. We get some social commentary and a logical story. And, we get some humor. It is definitely recognizable as Mallozzi and Mullie.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It turned me off at first too. I started reading some cool things about it on some forums, and decided to give it a second try. It isnt really bad at all. It continues the style of what we got in Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. We get a team of people working together, each with their own special talents. We get a strong leader, we get a strong fighter and a couple of geeks. We get a cool ship with shuttles, cool weapons and an android. We get some social commentary and a logical story. And, we get some humor. It is definitely recognizable as Mallozzi and Mullie.

Did you watch the full season yet? I don't want to spoiler anythingby talking about the finale.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did you watch the full season yet? I don't want to spoiler anythingby talking about the finale.
Not there yet. I have three episodes to go for that. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually makes me wonder about some of the things I said about Mallozi when you guys said I was defending him :lol:

Now wait a minute....just because this show is not as vapid or mindless does not mean that Mallozzi is a genius now. :smiley-laughing021: I have said some nice things about those two myself. Its Brad and Cooper I had the biggest problem with. Mullie did good with Sanctuary, but they took the premise too far. This show has room for the premise to grow. The team is there, and there is an opportunity to fill in backstory in a more logical and acceptable way.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Now wait a minute....just because this show is not as vapid or mindless does not mean that Mallozzi is a genius now. :smiley-laughing021: I have said some nice things about those two myself. Its Brad and Cooper I had the biggest problem with. Mullie did good with Sanctuary, but they took the premise too far. This show has room for the premise to grow. The team is there, and there is an opportunity to fill in backstory in a more logical and acceptable way.

Oh, I never called him a genius :P
I just copped flack for even saying anything remotely nice about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, I never called him a genius :P
I just copped flack for even saying anything remotely nice about him.

Actually, you said good things about Stargate Universe too...:).

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Only watched three eps . It actually has humour in it that I did not expect . It's not to bad at all . It's on Netflix USA but is not in Canada ...

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Only watched three eps . It actually has humour in it that I did not expect . It's not to bad at all . It's on Netflix USA but is not in Canada ...

:) :) :)

Strange, isnt it? The first time I watched it, I only watched the first episode and about 5 minutes of the second. I was turned off by it. Then, when I decided to watch it again but watch three episodes, I liked it. Now I'm almost done with the first season (also watching on Netflix). I kinda like it! I admire the inventive ways they are using humble settings and being creative with the (obviously small) budget.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually makes me wonder about some of the things I said about Mallozi when you guys said I was defending him :lol:

Dear Gatefans member:

And internal audit has revealed that while you have been eligible to receive the following item since the SGU.S days we have been remiss in remitting it to you. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this clerical oversight. We hope you enjoy this item and will wear it with pride.

Sincerely,

The Joe Mallozzi Onanist Fan Club Committee

roflbot(3).jpg

:tongue: :cameronanime06:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dear Gatefans member:

And internal audit has revealed that while you have been eligible to receive the following item since the SGU.S days we have been remiss in remitting it to you. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this clerical oversight. We hope you enjoy this item and will wear it with pride.

Sincerely,

View attachment 31896

I can't help but wonder why the part of One or Three was not offered to Joe Flanagan. He would have been perfect. And Two could have been done by Lexa Doig. They have David Hewlett in there. Still, the cast they have is good. :) I think poor Joe Mallozzi was treated like the stepchild in Stargate and that Brad was basically training him with treats (like credits for episodes). Same with Mullie. Mallozzi and Mullie are a decent team. And I only mean this for television, NOT for movies necessarily.

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dear Gatefans member:

Sincerely,

View attachment 31896

thor wink.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dear Gatefans member:

Sincerely,

View attachment 31896

giphy.gif