Stargate to be rebooted with movie. FINALLY! From the original creator Roland Emmerich

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Dude...he wrote & directed that travesty of a movie called, 2012, 10,000BC and the day after tomorrow just to name a few :P. Sorry to be sceptical and cynical but I don't see this guy writing a decent stargate film.Let someone else who isn't brad wright,JM or the original stargate creator write the next stargate.

IMO, the interesting "connection" between 10000 BC and SG is the glimpse of the "ruler" we get in 10K BC. He, and his priests(?), are either from a lost civ on Earth-like Atlantis, or could be "strung in" as being yet another survivor of Ra's planet sent to Earth by Ra to rule.

I am pretty sure this "connection" only exists in my mind, but it would be interesting to see/hear Emmerich's motivations for his creations.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is the scene I was talking about earlier!

Also, Ra's "Grey" alien past is described in the SG book. Been a while since I read it but something to the effect of Ra was a part of a dying race (so too the Asgard), he is from a planet where just about all the inhabitants have died out-he has therefore "inherited" nearly of all of that planet's tech. He comes to Earth for the first time and finds a young boy in a field in Egypt who was brave enough to stand and watch his ship land when the other humans ran away.

Forgot how it is Ra took over the boy's body, but I do remember that it was more of a transfer thing which doesn't jibe with this scene of an alien "inside" of him.

So there is actually three differences-the book, the film and the changes for SG1

And the book was written by Emmerich and Devlin-why couldn't they keep consistency between the book and their movie?

Probably because a movie version requires much to be condensed down to fit the cinematic length. No doubt they figured that people would get the gist of what the deal was though.

One thing my friends and I agreed on at the time was that Jay Davidson was horribly miscast as Ra. He was anything but sinister. :anim_59:

hC79AC000

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know many here dont want Emmerich to rebboot Stargate, but for crissakes, the man created it in the first place. I just saw this little clip, where he mentions what is happening with Stargate after he does the Independence Day sequels:

Halfway through, he talks about Stargate and how he wanted to do a trilogy originally. He says he wants to reboot Stargate, not make a sequel to it. This means we could get a new Jack and a new Daniel and also a new Stargate. But this is also where he could really screw it up by overdoing it. 2012 was way over the top. But I still sorta liked it. I definitely dont want Brad Wright or any of the writers from the TV series to be involved. This has to be a fresh start, and hope that it is good. I think JJ Abram's Star Trek reboot (the first movie) was a decent effort, but a long term fail. That new "action" Trek is not going to carry it into the next generation. I think that a dumbed down action Stargate or a watered down drama Stargate is going to be a big mistake.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh god Emmerich wants to do Foundation Series :tealc_new050: :facepalm: He made 2012 which was a really bad movie.

http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-18/roland-emmerich-wants-do-what-now-asimovs-foundation

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! we have already had one blasphemous asimov movie - I robot- DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER ONE HOLLYWEIRD or Multivac will get you! :P *looks for some tar and feathers*

side note on that horrible I, Robot- Bridget Monahan was the worst choice to play susan calvin - hubby and I recently rewatched the original andromeda strain and I kept pointing out that Kate Reid (she played Dr. Ruth leavitt) is how Asimov described Dr. susan calvin (short, dumpy, humorless, rather plain)...yes I tend to obsess abt things- like why in hell the untalented (and ugly IMHO) Richard Gere played Billy Flynn in the recent remake of chicago when there were excellent actors who could sing as well as dance- John Travolta, Jesse L Martin (his rendition of razzle dazzle in tribute to jerry orbach - the original billy flynn- at the tonys had me in tears!), Hugh Jackman, and gerard butler....gere can't sing dance OR act....*wanders off grumbling under her breath....*

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If we do get a Stargate reboot I fully expect there to be some bad drama, but, I have to say that just the prospect of a totally different take than the one Brad Wright milked to death is really exciting. I can deal with some romance and personal BS if that means the underlying vehicle is sound scifi. No more "derivative" plot gimmicks like snakes in the head. That was done before BW came along and I don't need to see anymore of that. Just give me a good story about this amazing device that was discovered in the original movie. :encouragement:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! we have already had one blasphemous asimov movie - I robot- DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER ONE HOLLYWEIRD or Multivac will get you! :P *looks for some tar and feathers*

side note on that horrible I, Robot- Bridget Monahan was the worst choice to play susan calvin - hubby and I recently rewatched the original andromeda strain and I kept pointing out that Kate Reid (she played Dr. Ruth leavitt) is how Asimov described Dr. susan calvin (short, dumpy, humorless, rather plain)...yes I tend to obsess abt things- like why in hell the untalented (and ugly IMHO) Richard Gere played Billy Flynn in the recent remake of chicago when there were excellent actors who could sing as well as dance- John Travolta, Jesse L Martin (his rendition of razzle dazzle in tribute to jerry orbach - the original billy flynn- at the tonys had me in tears!), Hugh Jackman, and gerard butler....gere can't sing dance OR act....*wanders off grumbling under her breath....*

I agree. Richard Gere is terrible. He's a one-note actor, at best. Watching him "act" is like watching paint dry. He has zero range and completely lacks the ability to properly emote for whatever character he plays. I've never understood his success.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I know many here dont want Emmerich to rebboot Stargate, but for crissakes, the man created it in the first place. I just saw this little clip, where he mentions what is happening with Stargate after he does the Independence Day sequels:

Halfway through, he talks about Stargate and how he wanted to do a trilogy originally. He says he wants to reboot Stargate, not make a sequel to it. This means we could get a new Jack and a new Daniel and also a new Stargate. But this is also where he could really screw it up by overdoing it. 2012 was way over the top. But I still sorta liked it. I definitely dont want Brad Wright or any of the writers from the TV series to be involved. This has to be a fresh start, and hope that it is good. I think JJ Abram's Star Trek reboot (the first movie) was a decent effort, but a long term fail. That new "action" Trek is not going to carry it into the next generation. I think that a dumbed down action Stargate or a watered down drama Stargate is going to be a big mistake.

This being the exact reason why I under no circumstance want to see Emmerich involved in a Stargate reboot, because it won't just be a fresh start with him on. A Stargate reboot needs to be completely free of involvement from former writers, directors and producers for it to work and become its own separate interpretation of the original which you can appreciate in its own right. Although there is one other reason, which is that Emmerich's movies all end up riddled with plotholes, with flat characters and lots of big VFX explosions who serve no real purpose in bringing the story forward.

Ya got that?

;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This being the exact reason why I under no circumstance want to see Emmerich involved in a Stargate reboot, because it won't just be a fresh start with him on. A Stargate reboot needs to be completely free of involvement from former writers, directors and producers for it to work and become its own separate interpretation of the original which you can appreciate in its own right. Although there is one other reason, which is that Emmerich's movies all end up riddled with plotholes, with flat characters and lots of big VFX explosions who serve no real purpose in bringing the story forward.

Ya got that?

;)

:) Let me get this right.....so, the best way for somebody to get back to basics as an artist (lets use Michaelangelo) is to replace the artist with somebody else? Not making sense there. ;) Emmerich is the creator of Stargate. He is the Roddenberry of the thing. If you want actual Trek and the creator is still alive, that is your go to guy, not somebody like JJ Abrams. In this case, we have the creator, the originator of Stargate still alive and ready to do more of his art. Nobody but Emmerich can give us real Stargate, even if you dont like what he might come up with. Anybody else doing it is only giving an "interpretation" of Emmerich's work.

If the original Stargate is "riddled with plotholes, with flat characters and lots of big VFX explosions who serve no real purpose in bringing the story forward", then Im all for it. :) I still prefer the original over anything Brad Wright/Glassener et al came up with to create SG-1. The actors from SG-1 however....I liked the SG-1 Daniel better than the movie Daniel. But I liked the movie Jack better than the SG-1 Jack. Loved Sam from SG-1, but she is a fantasy dreamed up by Brad and Glassener because people like her are not in anybody's Air Force anywhere. Emmerich's source for the builders of the Stargate were the gods of ancient Egypt, not snakes in the head which live in a swamp.

Do I make myself clear? ;) :P

:popcorn:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Emmerich might not give us a perfect movie but anything he does will be a welcome change from the crap BW was cranking out. As it is BW is the type of guy who refuses to turn on the ceiling fan in the bathroom cuz he likes the smell of his own shit as evinced by his obstinate defense of SGU to the bitter end.

So, yeah, give me Emmerich any day of the week.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm somewhat torn on the issue.

Yes, it makes more sense for E&D to make the next gate movie
HOWEVER
Since Stargate, they have produced some truly outstanding turds of movies, which makes me leery of them making yet another one.
Let them direct the movie, but for the love of gods, I hope they have a decent writing team. Writing is what hurt SG-1, SGA and SGU the most.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Emmerich might not give us a perfect movie but anything he does will be a welcome change from the crap BW was cranking out. As it is BW is the type of guy who refuses to turn on the ceiling fan in the bathroom cuz he likes the smell of his own shit as evinced by his obstinate defense of SGU to the bitter end.

So, yeah, give me Emmerich any day of the week.

:icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::lol:

The fact that he dumped Atlantis for SGU and insisted that Stargate Universe was going to be "cool" despite all of the fan reaction telling him it was going to destroy the "franchise" (before the first SGpoo episode ever aired) tells us what Brad is about. Then his blaming of SGUS and the fans for the failure of his soap opera as the turd swirled down the drain was like....really delusional. Who else would ESA plug in there? Name names! But none of the Brad Wright crew or anyone associated with them can be allowed anywhere near a new Stargate movie or series. Let them mess up somebody else's art. TBH, I think that clique has become passe. Im not seeing any of them working much except Paul Mullie. Even J Mozz is not really doing anything.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm somewhat torn on the issue.

Yes, it makes more sense for E&D to make the next gate movie
HOWEVER
Since Stargate, they have produced some truly outstanding turds of movies, which makes me leery of them making yet another one.
Let them direct the movie, but for the love of gods, I hope they have a decent writing team. Writing is what hurt SG-1, SGA and SGU the most.

I agree with you there. But Emmerich got lucky with this one, much like M Night S. got lucky with Signs. But nothing else after that. Emmerich gave us Independence Day, and though he gave us some turds, he also gave us some gems. If he sticks to his premise, he cant mess it up. He will need to use the mythology he used in the original to make this work. He cant change the story of how and where the Stargate was found (but he may have to because the current Egyptians are not allowing American science or film crews near the pyramids or other sites in Gizeh). If he changes the basics, it will ruin the movie.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I agree with you there. But Emmerich got lucky with this one, much like M Night S. got lucky with Signs. But nothing else after that. Emmerich gave us Independence Day, and though he gave us some turds, he also gave us some gems. If he sticks to his premise, he cant mess it up. He will need to use the mythology he used in the original to make this work. He cant change the story of how and where the Stargate was found (but he may have to because the current Egyptians are not allowing American science or film crews near the pyramids or other sites in Gizeh). If he changes the basics, it will ruin the movie.

IIRC..............
E&D had no intention of having a "gate network" as there is in SG-1/A/U, so it would be ok to find another gate elsewhere leading to another planet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IIRC..............
E&D had no intention of having a "gate network" as there is in SG-1/A/U, so it would be ok to find another gate elsewhere leading to another planet.

Emmerich's Stargate was able to send people to other GALAXIES, not just planets. And the aliens (sans Goa'uld) had interstellar ships as well. We never got to see what that was about. But the inference was that the aliens we saw on Abydos as well as the snakeheads were the same people who built the Stargate, as opposed to co-opting it like they did in SG-1.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been sending crawlers out for info on this project and I come up with nothing. :( I tapped a contact I have at MGM Los Angeles and she knows nothing. Whatever this movie is going to be, it will be produced by a separate production company with only the rights being licensed from MGM. What I was looking for is any stirrings from Brad Wright. Comments, articles, anything at all. I think he has gone into retirement or become reclusive. He has done nothing since SGU, not even on other production crews. I think it would be a very bad thing for Emmerich to even entertain a nightmare of a Brad Wright co-production.

How did Brad put it?

download.jpg

Brad Wright said in 2002 that "Devlin can wish to do a sequel to Stargate all he wants. MGM owns the rights, and I doubt very much that they'll ask him to do it. He knows better."

roland-emmerich.jpg

:smiley-laughing024:

LOL!
The pre-stirrings need to start before this thing can be considered a real deal production. As far as I know, this is still just in the idea phase. If anybody knows anything, please add it here. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What were the supposed Emmerich "gems"?

Godzilla sucked so hard it caused a vortex. The Day After Tomorrow was horrible dreck. Independence Day started out good but imploded at the end. And 2012 was bad on many, many levels (for example, following the ideas of the "heroes" would have killed everyone while listening to the "villain" saved a lot of lives - always a bad sign).