Stargate Origins Will Reopen The Franchise

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
got an email stating eps 6 and 7 are out!!!

damn good thing too! i have been giddy like a school girl awaiting their arrival!

im-so-excited.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so..they spend however much on making this abomination, then, set up surveys to basically, malign what the made?

They are behaving as though this show has already been on a couple of seasons, everyone is happy and fully into the characters and the plot, and OMG when is the next episode. We are not there yet folks!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are behaving as though this show has already been on a couple of seasons, everyone is happy and fully into the characters and the plot, and OMG when is the next episode. We are not there yet folks!

because that what youngsters-raised totally in the digital age, want. the want it ALL now -the show, the fanbase to chat with, the tshirts, the toys, the show inspired apps, the everything

it is a behavior endemic to the generation--i wonder how they will treat their kids ?

"we had junior, but he is just growing sooooo super slow, ya know? Doc can't you get him to HS soccer playing size with a shot or something--even though he is only 1 month old?"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so.... SO's acquits itself in the end?

apparently. and the breakdown given here makes ok sense to me..i guess

just still have the issues with the jump start of the gate and the campiness / soooo much like Indiana Jones aspects

heisenberg

Earl Grey
so.... SO's acquits itself in the end?

apparently. and the breakdown given here makes ok sense to me..i guess

just still have the issues with the jump start of the gate and the campiness / soooo much like Indiana Jones aspects

So I was right. It was to test the waters. I think they'll probably bring out smaller tv series and continue to test this new platform launched and then eventually give us a 4th series. The hunger for amazing series like this never dies because of its rich history and lore behind it but stuff that has a short shelf life, no one really remembers because it has a short shelf life. They just need to take it somewhere that captures our hearts and imaginations like SGA and SG-1 did.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

If so, it better not be based on Origins! And I really would like for Brad Wright and anyone associated with him to not be involved. I would be ok with Mallozzi in charge.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If so, it better not be based on Origins! And I really would like for Brad Wright and anyone associated with him to not be involved. I would be ok with Mallozzi in charge.
I know brad wright did take a bad turn with SGU but you can't just give not include him. After all, he did give us 22 seasons of great action. I think he may have learnt that people didn't like what they saw in SGU so they certainly won't include that. Joseph M certainly learnt that fans of science fiction/fantasy don't want to watch a soap box.

Anyway again from above

So I was right. It was to test the waters. I think they'll probably bring out smaller tv series and continue to test this new platform launched and then eventually give us a 4th series. The hunger for amazing series like this never dies because of its rich history and lore behind it but stuff that has a short shelf life, no one really remembers because it has a short shelf life. They just need to take it somewhere that captures our hearts and imaginations like SGA and SG-1 did. I never realized why they tend to pull the plug if they don't want to continue the franchise. Why not give it people that have a expansive imagination.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know brad wright did take a bad turn with SGU but you can't just give not include him. After all, he did give us 22 seasons of great action. I think he may have learnt that people didn't like what they saw in SGU so they certainly won't include that. Joseph M certainly learnt that fans of science fiction/fantasy don't want to watch a soap box.

Brad Wright's motivations are not artistic, and that is why we can't have him or Jonathan Glassener involved. Mallozzi, on the other hand, seems to genuinely love what he does. I see this same fire in David Hewlett. But Brad is just a calculating, opportunistic copycat who wants a vehicle to ride in a personal parade IMO.

Anyway again from above

So I was right. It was to test the waters. I think they'll probably bring out smaller tv series and continue to test this new platform launched and then eventually give us a 4th series. The hunger for amazing series like this never dies because of its rich history and lore behind it but stuff that has a short shelf life, no one really remembers because it has a short shelf life. They just need to take it somewhere that captures our hearts and imaginations like SGA and SG-1 did.

I agree with the bolded. It makes perfect sense that they tested the waters, but what they chose to test with might become the direction of the new show. Why come out with Origins, then make a 4th series something way different than that? If they base the new series on Origins, or use the writers from that show, then the new series won't be that great IMO. If a 1940s car can activate the stargate, then we could have episode of people stealing the gate and setting it up in warehouses or basements by some shadowy spy ring wearing bad thrift store clothes. There will not be an SGC or computers or a Stargate team.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Brad Wright's motivations are not artistic, and that is why we can't have him or Jonathan Glassener involved. Mallozzi, on the other hand, seems to genuinely love what he does. I see this same fire in David Hewlett. But Brad is just a calculating, opportunistic copycat who wants a vehicle to ride in a personal parade IMO.

Because brad wright can write. I am happy to give anyone a second chance, provided that they do want it.

I agree with the bolded. It makes perfect sense that they tested the waters, but what they chose to test with might become the direction of the new show. Why come out with Origins, then make a 4th series something way different than that? If they base the new series on Origins, or use the writers from that show, then the new series won't be that great IMO. If a 1940s car can activate the stargate, then we could have episode of people stealing the gate and setting it up in warehouses or basements by some shadowy spy ring wearing bad thrift store clothes. There will not be an SGC or computers or a Stargate team.
Because stargate has been off the air for 10 years dude. 10 years is a long time when it comes to any tv series because the market completely changes. You know how split the fanbase got when Atlantis was cancelled and SGU was greenlit? Yeah I am sure you remember. SGU generated more hatred than peace

10 years ago, Youtube had just started. I agree that we tend to consume things differently, but we still end up liking the very same thing. We all want to be entertained but it seems that these TPTB are after short term gratifications.lol another perfect example is star wars. A franchise that had a lot of following is now being rewritten and butchered to death but isn't generating hype because TPTB killed the hype. No one is buying the old and new SW toys because the market has changed and TPTB have killed the interest from old fans and aren't generating enough new fans to give the franchise a new life, so that's why it's so risky to have a new direction for stargate.

It's also down to risk assessment too. If they had gone full blown production with stargate origins as a full feature length series, then that would have killed the franchise for good but they decided to launch it with SG-1/SGA and Universe to spread their risk and give origins a much smaller budget.

They wanted to see how going to the beginning of stargate would be handled by fans. Obviously, there has been a lot of backlash with origins and i am sure they'll take that criticism into consideration unlike with STD. I don't mind that they had gone with the origins storyline but it's the execution was poor and well derivative from indiana jones.

Hollywood knows that given that it's the internet, there is a huge risk involved in launching a new IP because if it stinks, people will be ruthless and won't give it a second chance, period. These days you are forced to write a more condensed tv series with a significantly higher production budget and have tighter deadlines and with much less on airtime to tell a story due to the internet and streaming being a huge thing. This is why you are seeing them bringing out the 90s reboot. They don't want to risk launching a new IP so they relaunch one that continues to make them money hoping that it will work. The funny thing is that even though they reboot the franchise, it still stinks because no one has that same level of enthusiasm anymore.

Last edited:
You guys are overlooking the fact that they're gonna try to legitimize SGU if they do a new series. Somehow, someway they're gonna reference Destiny. They aren't ready to give up on that turd even if it's been 7 years.

BTW, they are running SGU on COMET TV and it's completely unwatchable. Seriously, I tried but every time I turn it on it's just so bad I can't continue to watch. The story is sooooo lame! And it doesn't get better with age. (The Lucien Alliance? Telford magically managing to get on board? The flashbacks to soapy Earth scenes? The shaky camera? The complete lack of lighting in every single scene on Destiny? No thanks! :tealc_new050:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You guys are overlooking the fact that they're gonna try to legitimize SGU if they do a new series. Somehow, someway they're gonna reference Destiny. They aren't ready to give up on that turd even if it's been 7 years.

BTW, they are running SGU on COMET TV and it's completely unwatchable. Seriously, I tried but every time I turn it on it's just so bad I can't continue to watch. The story is sooooo lame! And it doesn't get better with age. (The Lucien Alliance? Telford magically managing to get on board? The flashbacks to soapy Earth scenes? The shaky camera? The complete lack of lighting in every single scene on Destiny? No thanks! :tealc_new050:)

You are spot on with this. SGU is just unwatchable, and even more unwatchable than Discovery IMO. I really don't want to see Brad Wright anywhere near this. He already got his chance, and his motivations are no longer going to be making a great Stargate show. He will want to redeem his awful SGU leper, and yeah he would probably reference Destiny somehow. He could say that Destiny went back in time and was the very ship that put the two earth stargates in place or some dumb crap. Or, he might reference the characters somehow. Mallozzi could be trusted with this...

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps, this whole SGU business can turn out to be a daydream that Jack just came up with in the shower. Then he can laugh it off with how obvious it was that it was a dream since Eli never lost any weight while jogging around the spaceship and half starving to death for year. This fits right along with Hurley on Lost since we now know, that was just purgatory of some sorts.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If so, it better not be based on Origins!

well, as you can see in the vid i posted, turns out origins is based within the movie and,apparently, allowing for the canon of sg1 (??) as well

got that Goauld mind wipe,etc,etc

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well, as you can see in the vid i posted, turns out origins is based within the movie and,apparently, allowing for the canon of sg1 (??) as well

got that Goauld mind wipe,etc,etc

But Origins is just not related to the movie. They tried to retcon stuff into it, but it was a fail in that respect. Have you watched it yet?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But Origins is just not related to the movie. They tried to retcon stuff into it, but it was a fail in that respect. Have you watched it yet?

whatever was up for free at first was all i watched, and then this gateworld review

and, like i always say 'retcon schmecon'! :) and the mind wipe thing is a oh so convenient type of 'deus ex machina' thing isn't it? especially since canon tells us that Goauld can do this, it gives it more acceptability

any memory by anyone other then Ra, is erased, explaining Catherine and others "i can't get this thing started" position of the movie. hell, i have seen a post on reddit that says Ra's attitude in the film towards O'Neil and his teams arrival shows that Ra expected it some day

an 'officially' sanctioned work can change or add anything if the studio/owners signs off on it whether we like it or not. the studios really dont care about what fans say or think so long as a majority watches and likes it.

and with SO's I think that majority was found in the millennial group as well as many other older fans who are just dying to get whatever stargate they can

mill's just watched it because it got buzz or whatever--it was the cool thing to do. like they watched ST;D . no previous trek or stargate experience necessar

the SJW content of both shows (SO's and STD) was high with 'fierce' female hero's and villains as well as other SJW content--like making nazi's look like dumb punks

the older viewers tolerate SO's because as i said, they are desperate--but no matter what, they will never get another SG1 or SGA with their distinct attractions

and yes, i agree, that has had some bad after effects for several works in the past

--------------------

i think this is the new way of doing things--rehash/ reboot/ add on and call it "new". guess there are just not as many good sci fi writers out there anymore--or not enough

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
whatever was up for free at first was all i watched, and then this gateworld review

and, like i always say 'retcon schmecon'! :) and the mind wipe thing is a oh so convenient type of 'deus ex machina' thing isn't it? especially since canon tells us that Goauld can do this, it gives it more acceptability

Memory wipes would not result in the gate being able to be activated by a 1940 4cyl German vehicle. It would not erase the minds of the people who interacted with Catherine either.

any memory by anyone other then Ra, is erased, explaining Catherine and others "i can't get this thing started" position of the movie. hell, i have seen a post on reddit that says Ra's attitude in the film towards O'Neil and his teams arrival shows that Ra expected it some day

Where in Stargate is this done? I do not recall the Goa'uld being able to do anything like that.

an 'officially' sanctioned work can change or add anything if the studio/owners signs off on it whether we like it or not. the studios really dont care about what fans say or think so long as a majority watches and likes it.

and with SO's I think that majority was found in the millennial group as well as many other older fans who are just dying to get whatever stargate they can

Yes, they can do whatever they want to Stargate and it's story because they own the rights. But nothing they do and no amount of money will make it popular with Stargate fans if its crap. It will have to gather a new fanbase.

mill's just watched it because it got buzz or whatever--it was the cool thing to do. like they watched ST;D . no previous trek or stargate experience necessar

the SJW content of both shows (SO's and STD) was high with 'fierce' female hero's and villains as well as other SJW content--like making nazi's look like dumb punks

Well, how did it do in viewership? It only has a 4 out of 10 on IMdB, and I saw it and it was just not up to par. I have seen better fan fiction.

the older viewers tolerate SO's because as i said, they are desperate--but no matter what, they will never get another SG1 or SGA with their distinct attractions

and yes, i agree, that has had some bad after effects for several works in the past

--------------------

i think this is the new way of doing things--rehash/ reboot/ add on and call it "new". guess there are just not as many good sci fi writers out there anymore--or not enough

So, I assume you saw it...did you like it and are you yourself excited about a new Stargate series based on Origins? I'm not.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, I assume you saw it...did you like it and are you yourself excited about a new Stargate series based on Origins? I'm not

Again with the putting people (ME) IN CORNERS!! GEESH! just dropping comments nothing more

i stated i only saw the first three free ones

memory wipes? i thought i remember various ppl being under Goauld powers of suggestion in SG1. Like the chic who got all the the guys at SGC all hot and bothered and ready to mate. If they can do that, I assume they can be extended by tptbs to do a mind wipe--especially with a "device"

i dont think that rotten tomatoes or imdb or any other professional or semi pro critics take in the SJW buzz factor.

I stated, in my post (really it is right there) that I still have a problem with what I saw in the eps I watched- like the vehicle battery jump starting the gate and the way nazi's are treated as some kind of harmless buffoons

I would not COULD not have an opinion on any show based on SO's as SO's has been schmetconned into the fabric (like way deep into the folds of said fabric) of the movie

I really do not give a flying act of intercourse about this show!!! again, just dropping a comment about a video i saw on the you tubes from some over caring, over hopeful gate world people :)