Stargate Origins Will Reopen The Franchise

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's stuff like this that has gotten me fatigued of most new stuff - it is mostly all riffs on the same dark story.

Meanwhile I binge watched three seasons of Highlander the Series a week or so ago and it felt great. Colorful stories with characters you care about that run the gamut from noble to evil. Acting, writing, the tone and feel make it sort of timeless. I don't get that from most new stuff.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
i think that the only possible way we could have a pre-quel would have to be something like:

1-- in the not so distant past, we see a whole other gate found elsewhere with a DHD. and then they would have to carefully tell a tale from their to explain how and why that no one --to include any goa'uld from sg1, knew of this. then find a way to have it destroyed without major damage to the planet

it could have been found in Siberia an used there, ending in the 1908 Tunguska incident--or whatever

2--go wayyy back to Ancients on earth days

here would could see Atlantis, the gate and the construction of stuff like DESTINY and her seed ships

it could incorporate a lot of the ancient alien /lost civilization 'real' things that have been found and use them in the story. Like say the ancients testing out a new cutting tool and helping to build Puma Punku in Peru... a show like that could be cool
----------------------
other wise, i dont see how any other prequel works. would have to be sequels in a future time as or past DESTINY and Fat Eli being lost...
This series is shitting on the fans that made the company billions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i think that the only possible way we could have a pre-quel would have to be something like:

1-- in the not so distant past, we see a whole other gate found elsewhere with a DHD. and then they would have to carefully tell a tale from their to explain how and why that no one --to include any goa'uld from sg1, knew of this. then find a way to have it destroyed without major damage to the planet

it could have been found in Siberia an used there, ending in the 1908 Tunguska incident--or whatever

here would could see Atlantis, the gate and the construction of stuff like DESTINY and her seed ships

it could incorporate a lot of the ancient alien /lost civilization 'real' things that have been found and use them in the story. Like say the ancients testing out a new cutting tool and helping to build Puma Punku in Peru... a show like that could be cool
----------------------
other wise, i dont see how any other prequel works. would have to be sequels in a future time as or past DESTINY and Fat Eli being lost...

This show is dumb for being in the past for several reasons:
  • The original story has the gate buried in the 1930s.
  • There are no computers in the 1930s.
  • There are no jet engines and no rockets in 1930 (no fighter jets or earth space capability)
  • There is no Air Force (only Army Air Corps)
  • No Aircraft carriers
  • No satellites
  • No nuclear power or nuclear weapons
  • No television or display technology of any kind
How is this a start for a new scifi series? Maybe for people born in 1930 perhaps? I suppose an old movie showing video displays and portable telephones would be science fiction if they made it in 1930.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think they may have chosen to air it in 10 eps so they can accurately measure up to which point consumers find it of interest, at least more so than with a single movie. That and obviously the production is well below that of an actual feature length film. For a webisode the quality is less of an issue than it would be for a movie. In fact, I am glad that they did not present it as a movie.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Maybe they'll time travel to more recent times.

I think by the way that not all 10 episodes are available yet.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Randomly dribbling out one shitty 10-minute episode at a time is not how you rebuild interest in the franchise. What idiot thought that was a good idea?

Better than churning out ten crappy webisodes at once.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think they may have chosen to air it in 10 eps so they can accurately measure up to which point consumers find it of interest, at least more so than with a single movie. That and obviously the production is well below that of an actual feature length film. For a webisode the quality is less of an issue than it would be for a movie. In fact, I am glad that they did not present it as a movie.

So, they figure the best way to get interest in it is to show us some cobbled together, Starjoke knockoff? This looks like somebody's bad idea of a reboot. Put it in 1930 and that way you don't have to spend much on CGI or prop hardware like computer screens at the SGC. All you need are giant green screens and some old clothing from the thrift shop which can be tweaked by that little old lady seamstress from the Philippines who works part time at the local cleaners sewing on lost buttons. Connor Trineer should fire his agent.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So, they figure the best way to get interest in it is to show us some cobbled together, Starjoke knockoff?

No it certainly is not.

But between the choices of releasing ten crap webisodes at once or releasing them one at a time the one at a time choice is better for various reasons, some of which I've already mentioned.

The show is obviously crap so far so it is in no way a suitable way to determine whether or not there is sufficient interest in a new Stargate show. That is unless they are hoping to invoke a fan backlash ala SGU because that would also provide data regarding how many Stargate fans are still around and how much they care. Hate and love are close together after all.

It might also simply be a way of piquing interest among new (young) people who then "discover" that there's a whole bunch of series which they never heard of and can get hooked on.

No it certainly is not.

But between the choices of releasing ten crap webisodes at once or releasing them one at a time the one at a time choice is better for various reasons, some of which I've already mentioned.

The show is obviously crap so far so it is in no way a suitable way to determine whether or not there is sufficient interest in a new Stargate show. That is unless they are hoping to invoke a fan backlash ala SGU because that would also provide data regarding how many Stargate fans are still around and how much they care. Hate and love are close together after all.

It might also simply be a way of piquing interest among new (young) people who then "discover" that there's a whole bunch of series which they never heard of and can get hooked on.

Nah man, ur being way too generous here. The problem with releasing one crappy webisode at a time is that people will get turned off by it. If they just released the whole thing at once in movie length a lot more people would sit thru it from start to finish despite it being crap. But by breaking it up people are gonna get tired of it and just fade away. It's a dumb method of releasing the film.

And if it's crap either way why would young people want to explore it further? Just because they're young that doesn't mean they aren't smart enough to know crap when they see it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This show is dumb for being in the past for several reasons:
  • The original story has the gate buried in the 1930s.
  • There are no computers in the 1930s.
  • There are no jet engines and no rockets in 1930 (no fighter jets or earth space capability)
  • There is no Air Force (only Army Air Corps)
  • No Aircraft carriers
  • No satellites
  • No nuclear power or nuclear weapons
  • No television or display technology of any kind
How is this a start for a new scifi series? Maybe for people born in 1930 perhaps? I suppose an old movie showing video displays and portable telephones would be science fiction if they made it in 1930.

so...what..you don't like my ideas?

:( :( :(

I hate you OM1!! I hate you I hate you I hate you!!!! :vala-new011:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe they'll time travel to more recent times.

I think by the way that not all 10 episodes are available yet.

The first five are.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

In this show, the Nazis have the Giza DHD (the Russians did not acquire it until after WWII). We don't even know if there are Goa'uld.

----------------------

Now THAT would be very cool. :) But it would cost lots more money than Origins. My bet is that some Stargate enthusiast decided to pitch this as a SUPER cheap reboot, easily produced on the cheap, and using unknown actors except Connor Trinneer and maybe a smattering of others later. As far as I am concerned there never was an SGU. Wait, there never was a what?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
We don't even know if there are Goa'uld.

when they used the gate to wherever, the woman who wa holding the baby, used a goa'uld bracelet weapon

of course, doesn't mean she is one...or the production couldn't afford to have flashing colored eyes

apparently staff weapons are in one of the eps too

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
In this show, the Nazis have the Giza DHD (the Russians did not acquire it until after WWII).

thats why i say anything in that scenario would have to be very well 'tracks covered' seeing how no one in sg1 sga, human or otherwise, know of any other gate-just like some one somewhere in the galaxy would have known about SO'S gate use in the 30's

it could be a self contained story where a dhd and a gate are found in the area that is the now tunguska crater. efforts to use it resulted in that crater causing explosion. though not a full explosion of course. this way all players and knowledge is destroyed

doesn't matter anyhow. SG is dead with this pathetic origins escapade

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am glad that Stargate is getting attention, but I don't want new Stargate to be like Origins. What is so hard about following a recipe? It's like there is always somebody who wants to add apples to tuna salad or put mayo in hummus. :facepalm:
No, watching 10 "webisodes" sounds tedious and annoying. Presenting a movie in this fashion is just plain insulting to fans of SG.

*And making the stargate work by hooking it up to a car? Really? Are you kidding me??? After hearing that's what they did it's obvious the writers have no respect for SG fans. Why would I go out of my way to watch such nonsense?

----------------------
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.co...nd-revving-up-for-tomorrows-revive-rehearsal/

so it looks like inorder for Joseph M trying to stay relevant, he is trying to push this idea of reviving Stargate. I like him as a producer but I hope that they don't turn it into a soap box or another Discovery clone or an Origin clone. This is not what we asked for. We are after intelligent comedy sci-fi series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.co...nd-revving-up-for-tomorrows-revive-rehearsal/

so it looks like inorder for Joseph M trying to stay relevant, he is trying to push this idea of reviving Stargate. I like him as a producer but I hope that they don't turn it into a soap box or another Discovery clone or an Origin clone. This is not what we asked for. We are after intelligent comedy sci-fi series.

I wonder why Mallozzi and Rob Cooper and those guys are starting to get excited? They would not be involved in any new Stargate series (hopefully). But why not? This place IS called "Gate Fans"! Perhaps I should not be so harsh on him. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
got an email stating eps 6 and 7 are out!!!

damn good thing too! i have been giddy like a school girl awaiting their arrival!