Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ok so more out of film plot discovery

disney is doing more and more of this

sure, you dont have to read the books or watch the video game cut scenes, but if you do (aka: spend more money) you will know some things that the normal everyday film viewer doesn't and goes home and calls them 'plot holes'.

just saw this on YT. those 'other allies' Leia was willing to let the entire resistance be destroyed in the hope they wold arrive-explained. or rather, strongly suggested in battlefront 2 (the part released when ep8 was released)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nope, it was a stupid, botched attempt to transfer the story from a fantasy setting to scifi. There was never any need to do that. Obviously TPTB know that now because we haven't heard that word spoken again, have we?

now see, you probably went and jinxed it

ep9 will probably be an entire video essay on midichlorians!

thanks for that :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want to know exactly what happened in the 30 years after the events after Return of the Jedi. How did Princess Leia and Han mess up so bad with Ben and why did the Republic fall apart? Why did Luke snap and become a hermit on some hidden moon AND hide his location? Why did he abandon his sister and Han, and why wasn't he there to help guide Ben when he was growing up?

The Force Awakens was not made to answer any questions, it was created to jump start the new Star Wars "product family" which has merchandise, licensing and PR wings. We are going to have stormtroopers walking the streets of the new Star Wars Land in the Disney theme parks worldwide (and on the Disney Magic cruise ships).

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok so more out of film plot discovery

disney is doing more and more of this

sure, you dont have to read the books or watch the video game cut scenes, but if you do (aka: spend more money) you will know some things that the normal everyday film viewer doesn't and goes home and calls them 'plot holes'.

just saw this on YT. those 'other allies' Leia was willing to let the entire resistance be destroyed in the hope they wold arrive-explained. or rather, strongly suggested in battlefront 2 (the part released when ep8 was released)

Because knowing the Star Wars "seekrits" gives you bragging rights in the SW crowd? It does, just like they did with the EU except this time they have monetized it for themselves.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I want to know exactly what happened in the 30 years after the events after Return of the Jedi.

well you can know if you want

there are two parallel stories

one is in book-i am sure you could get a digital download of it!!. the aftermath trilogy

Amazon product
canon and commissioned by lucas/disney after the disney takeover

as i said elsewhere. good chance it could be this other trilogy that is being talked about

then you have BATTLEFRONT 2. of course you dont need to play the game or buy it, just watch the cutscenes on YT.

it goes from the battle of endor up through the beginnings of the 1st order following the members of the INFERNO SQD. the above yt vid is from battlefront 2 as well. the woman the leia is talking to is the daughter of two members of inferno squad
(also quieting the fan theories that their kid was rey) who has been sent on a long range mission to contact the old allies of the rebellion

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well you can know if you want

there are two parallel stories

one is in book-i am sure you could get a digital download of it!!. the aftermath trilogy

Amazon product
canon and commissioned by lucas/disney after the disney takeover

as i said elsewhere. good chance it could be this other trilogy that is being talked about

then you have BATTLEFRONT 2. of course you dont need to play the game or buy it, just watch the cutscenes on YT.

it goes from the battle of endor up through the beginnings of the 1st order following the members of the INFERNO SQD. the above yt vid is from battlefront 2 as well. the woman the leia is talking to is the daughter of two members of inferno squad
(also quieting the fan theories that their kid was rey) who has been sent on a long range mission to contact the old allies of the rebellion

:facepalm:. I am not going to read a book or play a game to find out what happened. Show us in the MOVIES like they are doing the rest of the story. I will not be baited into spending money or time outside of the moviesphere to get answers to questions which should have been answered in the movies. Star Trek NEVER did that. The tech, the elements of the stories, the backgrounds of the characters, all you had to do was watch the show and you got all the answers.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Well, so much for "protecting" the characters. Luke skywalker looks like he was humiliated in some of the scenes from the movie :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::netflix::happy0007:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
you mean ep7? :)

Yeah, episode 7. :)

like i said before, stories progress even if here wit this trilogy

yes, there are familiar elements but they reflect that "wheel" of life repeating things in general and in specific the continuing story of the Skywalker family and how its new generation-seemingly ,so far, just one person-is condemned to repeat the mistakes of the family's past--Kylo worships Darth Vader NOT Anakin Skywalker--

I get that about Kylo being a fanboi of Darth. But cmon...Darth Vader started out as Anakin with uber-midichlorians and decades of training as a Padawan under Obi Wan Kenobi. Then, he got decades more Sith training under Palpatine and he helped build the Imperial Forces itself. Are we to accept that Kylo Ren just 3D printed himself a cool mask and then the First Order fleet just handed him command? Where did Snoke come from, and how did he come to command the First Order and organize it AND install Kylo Ren as it's second in command (de facto)?

yes, phasma = dumb. starkiller base = even a stretch for star wars

I really did not mind having a woman stormtrooper at all. Even many, working with the male stormtroopers. But Phasma was over the top. HOPEFULLY, she died when falling through the floor into the flames. That starkiller base thing really irked me something awful It was just dumb how just it's mere existence was a facepalm. Even 30 years would not be enough time to build it, and 30 years of complete secrecy and cluelessness on the side of the "Resistance"? Maybe they deserve to lose. Then, the thing does not just destroy a planet, it has to be able to destroy multiple planets at the same time. :facepalm:.

cutesy droids = freaking annoying; give us more like K2SO if you must give us droids at all!

and ONCE AGAIN --sigh--- it is what it is, as presented and we can either digest it or vomit it back

Well, part of being "woke" about Star Wars is seeing it for what it really is now: a sales vehicle. BB8 is not about being heroic and smart, its about him being cute and mischievous and appealing to kids. Its to sell these:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
they have monetized it for themselves

no, doesn't need to be that way

just use "kodi" for books :)

like the aftermath synopsis in wookiepedia

or watch the battlefront 2 cutscenes on YT --i posted like a 57 minute one on here somewhere, there are more that come after

but yes, that is clearly there intention--making more money that is

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
BB8 is not about

always despised bb8 and was never really a fan of r2dipshit or three p o

even way back in pre production for ep4, Lucas MUST of had marketing to kids in mind when he created those two

if not, then why not just use some non speaking, or flat toned voiced, basic robots, like in all the sci fi that came before?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Even many, working with the male stormtroopers

there are quite a few female stormtroopers and other soldiers in ep7

one female stormer (her voice) is quite noticeable reporting to kylo ren after rey escaped from stormtrooper 007

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Where did Snoke come from, and how did he come to command the First Order and organize it AND install Kylo Ren as it's second in command (de facto)?

idk if you saw ep8 yet or not, but Kylo just didn't take over, after snoke died, Hux challenged him for leadership and Kylo impressed upon him to give up his challenge

in the AFTERMATH books (yes, i know you are probably getting tired of me saying it) we see how the first order comes to be,especially through Hux's father and another major female character that is in all 3 books

"After executing Rax, she fled into the Unknown Regions with Brendol Hux, his son Armitage Hux, and several child soldiers. Whilst in the Unknown Regions, the remnants of the Empire eventually reformed into the First Order with Sloane as one of its initial leaders. from http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rae_Sloane

neither Sloane or the older Hux and his son (general hux in ep 7 and 8) were believers in the force or its potential usefulness though they both respected the jedi and sith for their warrior abilites only. The elder Hux and Sloane served with loyalty to the emperor and vader out of a sense of military duty.

this is why Gen Hux did challenge Kylo for leadership. Hux is a humanist-an evil one- but nonetheless he believes in the power of humans over other species or the use of 'magic' with the force and even a strong hatred of even the notion of using clone soldiers

of course where snoke comes from and how he managed to gain hold off the military might of the first order is yet to be revealed

he has to be someone who was close to Vader in some capacity-he wears a ring made form the rock under Vader's castle. he is a big time Vader squee as well

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
You’ve watched other people take over franchises you’ve made. How often are you asked to do that? Has Kathleen Kennedy offered you a Star Wars movie?
No, no. I’m too dangerous for that.

Why is that?
Because I know what I’m doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s fuckin’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?

I can’t imagine.
Millions! Millions. You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I’ll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it’s as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you’re really experienced and you know what you’re doing, it’s fucking essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don’t suddenly go to $160.

One of the problems with the studio system at present is that there isn’t that middle ground anymore. There’s low-budget, and there’s $160 million.
And you get killed.
:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::netflix::netflix::netflix:

:smiley-laughing021:

This is from Ridley Scott about the new Star Wars

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-all-the-money-in-the-world-reshoots.html

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Show us in the MOVIES like they are doing the rest of the story. I will not be baited into spending money or time outside of the moviesphere to get answers to questions which should have been answered in the movies.

hey man..its the new thing! all the cool kids are doing it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so, you didn't read the EXPANSE series? :)

The Expanse series is a good example of a proper novel. The books came first, and the series follows the events of the books without leaving anything out. One does not ever have to turn a single page of any of the Expanse series of books to get answers for what is seen in the show because the stories are exactly the same with nothing left out.

hey man..its the new thing! all the cool kids are doing it

Nah, it's what the Millenial kids are doing and it's more expensive than cool. :)

of course where snoke comes from and how he managed to gain hold off the military might of the first order is yet to be revealed

THAT is really dumb! He came from nowhere after the events of Return of the Jedi, got control of the military and also gave power to Kylo Ren and coordinated the destruction of several planets using the Starkiller base, and we still have no idea who he is or where he came from and he is dead already?

I like this assessment a lot but...pot meet kettle. Ridley Scott has been involved in some big-budget turds himself. Prometheus (and the turd that followed it) were terrible. Granted, I don't know how well they did financially so I'm not using that as a metric for success. I'm talking about how the movies were ridiculously bad in terms of story. And yes, Ridley may not have written Prometheus but he was the head honcho in charge of production. He had/has the final say in everything Alien related. He approved the horrible writing and the waste of budget to make that visual abortion.

The Expanse series is a good example of a proper novel. The books came first, and the series follows the events of the books without leaving anything out. One does not ever have to turn a single page of any of the Expanse series of books to get answers for what is seen in the show because the stories are exactly the same with nothing left out.

Nah, it's what the Millenial kids are doing and it's more expensive than cool. :)

THAT is really dumb! He came from nowhere after the events of Return of the Jedi, got control of the military and also gave power to Kylo Ren and coordinated the destruction of several planets using the Starkiller base, and we still have no idea who he is or where he came from and he is dead already?

This is absolutely correct. Movies and TV shows should be self-contained when it comes to understanding characters and plots. Viewers should not be required to seek out other media to explain major plot points and developments.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is absolutely correct. Movies and TV shows should be self-contained when it comes to understanding characters and plots. Viewers should not be required to seek out other media to explain major plot points and developments.

Yep, and I do get why they are doing it. They see all SW fans as a revenue stream. If they can get you into the movie, perhaps they can get you to want a BB8 robot or a new Stormtrooper outfit or a Snoke halloween mask. All that shit adds up, ya know. :) I won't even talk about Star Wars branded dustpan and broom sets, Kylo Ren pajamas and Captain Phasma baby carrots.:anim_59:

Yep, and I do get why they are doing it. They see all SW fans as a revenue stream. If they can get you into the movie, perhaps they can get you to want a BB8 robot or a new Stormtrooper outfit or a Snoke halloween mask. All that shit adds up, ya know. :) I won't even talk about Star Wars branded dustpan and broom sets, Kylo Ren pajamas and Captain Phasma baby carrots.:anim_59:

I'm sick of all the car commercials that feature a SW theme for no reason at all. Seriously, what does driving a car have to do with a fantasy movie? :rolleye0014: