Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I saw a trailer for this movie at halftime of Monday Night Football a few nights ago. Count me in! :beckett_new049:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly. They have done no violence to SW canon and in fact by being sequels and not prequels they have made it easier not to mess up canon.

They did worse than mess it up with canon. They messed with the SW universe itself, like they did with Star trek. Lightsabers with side elements? Mastering the Force without training? An entire planet used to create a weapon AFTER the war with the Empire which destroyed a much smaller version of it without anyone knowing? Rey and her magical flying skills of the Millenium Falcon? This is what replaced Darth Vader for the future of Star Wars:

darth_nobody.PNG

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmmm...

The grapevine has soured on this movie already? I am not hearing good things about The Last Jedi. Has anyone seen it yet?

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmm...

The grapevine has soured on this movie already? I am not hearing good things about The Last Jedi. Has anyone seen it yet?

My personal trainer has seen it and he told me if you are a casual fan you may like it but if you are a hardcore fan of the original trilogy you are going to hate it. Mainly because of how Luke has changed and for some reason they changed how the Jedi code is and what he oriiginally stood for in his beliefs and values. He has become a grumpy old man, those are his words.

I could tell from the trailer it was just going to be like transformers, where they have nohing explosion in the film.

I am not going to go see it as it seems like a waste of time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not seen it yet - I gather one either likes or hates it - no middle ground.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hmmmm...

going this saturday

from what i have watched of reviews/comments on YT, it seems to me that most ppl who say they didn't like or just kind of liked it are those who say they loved ep 7. some our upset becasue their fan theories are not even addressed right or wrong. a smaller amount are mad because of SJW and feministic inputs

I don't have a problem with either of those. The SJW thing is a product of movies/tv reflected the current real life culture (Spock kissing Uhura = debate on bi racial marriage), very few movies or tv can are not affected in this way

the feministic thing? the very same fanbois should already know that their beloved LEGENDS/EU is filled with female Jedi and Sith, rebel and imperial soldiers and pilots ,etc. So i don't understand their guff with that
--------------------------------------------------------
it seems to me, i posted this elsewhere and again, just from what i have watched of review and some clips, that the 'jedi' portion of this movie is very similar to the discussions of Ezra and Kanan on what the force is and what it means to be Jedi or Sith. Of course, Kanan was never fully trained as a Jedi due to order 66, but Luke was never fully trained either, definitely not to the extent we see jedi being trained in the pre-quels

Luke, like Ezra, is mostly a 'shake and bake' Jedi. trained in a hurry for a specific purpose

also, the idea of the grey jedi (like Maul and Ashoka in Rebels) possibly being what Luke is drifting towards and perhaps trains Rey to be (?), may be present, though not named outright in TLJ.

the rest? looks like a lot of standard SW's pew-pew stuff

i am sure i will have something to say after i see it

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Mainly because of how Luke has changed and for some reason they changed how the Jedi code is and what he oriiginally stood for in his beliefs and values

IDK, ppl DO change as they age

Luke is the 'last jedi' and the sole (seemingly) possessor of any Jedi codes(he went around the galaxy after ep6 collecting jedi memorabilia and books, scrolls, etc) or law, so he can control the knowledge and tailor the msg to what HE wants it to become

like Maul tried to use a bit of each belief, jedi and sith, to bring Ezra to a middle way as a grey jedi

i believe (again i have not seen it yet) that he blames himself for his students being slaughtered because in trng them the old jedi slow and plodding way, he left them unprepared and soft targets. the first batch of new jedi should ahve been trained much more quickly--like he was

and Luke was never fully trained as a Jedi and only had the benefit of one real teacher for a brief time-Yoda. Ben really did not have time to teach him more then the basics of light sabre use. i mean, what time did they have together? maybe a day on tattoine? a few hours on the millennium falcon?

People bitch about Rey using a light sabre in ep7. really, her use of it was fairly crude. she was able to hold of Ren because he is not a trained jedi or sith either. her not having any training accentuates the fact that she is a innate force user, who are very rare and who have normally risen to the top of their orders--usually sith

their fight, in ep7, was more like two hipsters, who have never used a gun, from the big city headed out to the roadside cafe with a gun range and they decide to play soldier and end up shooting each other in the foot

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My personal trainer has seen it and he told me if you are a casual fan you may like it but if you are a hardcore fan of the original trilogy you are going to hate it. Mainly because of how Luke has changed and for some reason they changed how the Jedi code is and what he oriiginally stood for in his beliefs and values. He has become a grumpy old man, those are his words.

I could tell from the trailer it was just going to be like transformers, where they have nohing explosion in the film.

I am not going to go see it as it seems like a waste of time.

It seems to be coming down to Abrams making obtuse changes in the way the Star Wars universe works and how people think in that universe. Abrams is a hack, and how come people still hire him to do this stuff? He was handed the two most iconic space-based universes which were pretty much shitproofed, yet managed to change all the right things into wrong things, throwing off the whole balance of the universe. They changed Luke, evidently at some point Leia is flying using the Force. Doing shit like that sets up a precedent for later....flying Jedi (or Sith).

I'm just not on board with the movies added to the original trilogy, even though I liked Rogue One a lot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
....People bitch about Rey using a light sabre in ep7. really, her use of it was fairly crude. she was able to hold of Ren because he is not a trained jedi or sith either. her not having any training accentuates the fact that she is a innate force user, who are very rare and who have normally risen to the top of their orders--usually sith

Then WHY is he feared? I would assume that far more Sith survived the war than did Jedi, and so why is some Sith wannabe feared by the First Order? I guess when you really love a show/movie, you will compromise to make it okay. :) I do it too. The real reason is because Rey needed a villain, so Ren was created and modeled after Darth Vader only way shittier. Rey was allowed to defeat him because Rey is the hero and heroes always win.

their fight, in ep7, was more like two hipsters, who have never used a gun, from the big city headed out to the roadside cafe with a gun range and they decide to play soldier and end up shooting each other in the foot

Well, if they weren't literally fighting on the planet/weapon that was the target of the "rebel" attack, that might go as an excuse, but not really. How come Rogue One was so much better?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Abrams had nothing to do with The Last Jedi - Rian Johnson wrote and directed it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Abrams had nothing to do with The Last Jedi - Rian Johnson wrote and directed it.

Correct. But because of Abrams, there is a Kylo Ren, a Finn and Rey and BB8 and Poe. There is now a three bladed lightsaber and The Force is fairly common.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It seems to be coming down to Abrams making obtuse changes

the massive change that these stories are the result of was the destruction of the 2nd death star and the emperor and darth vader in the original trilogies

the power vacuum left in charge of a still massive military and territory, created the Imperial Remnant which also allowed for petty fiefdoms set up by imperial officers and the growth of criminal gang control (like Hutt and whoever those dudes in red were in ep7)

a small portion of the imperial remnant, after the battle of jakku, created the first order. the father of General Hux was a Imperial senior officer who did not surrender but took his ships elsewhere

he also started a 'tradition' of training child soldiers to be his bodyguard/assassin force. just like the 1st order abducts kids to be their soldiers

the rebellion led to the new republic whose inaction towards the 1st order and ineffectiveness over criminals led to the resistance

Han and Leia meeting in the OT led to Kylo Ren (Ben solo); Luke's disappointment in knowing of his father led him to become a hermit. all things started by the OT

it is more reaction--one chosen reaction by JJ and Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy-but still a reaction to the events started in the OT

--------------

at least one could 'square the circle' of this; try to square up the mess of say, ST- INTO DARKNESS with ST:tos---HUH?HUH?
:)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Trying to make sense out of Star Trek Into Darkness is probably impossible :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
there is a Kylo Ren

there is a Kylo Ren, because there is a Ben Solo, the son of Han and Leia set up in return of the jedi

and BB8 is silly

the cross guard LS? FFS! How many times must I say it?

cross guard LS's were put into canon BEFORE EP7 was released

it was in REBELS. They were established as being ancient Jedi and Sith weapons. the old tech also explains why the blade of the Kylo's LS seems to flicker and 'burn' instead of being a clean beam as with the newer ones

its like he using a blunderbuss or a flintlock

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
there is a Kylo Ren, because there is a Ben Solo, the son of Han and Leia set up in return of the jedi

and BB8 is silly

the cross guard LS? FFS! How many times must I say it?

cross guard LS's were put into canon BEFORE EP7 was released

it was in REBELS
. They were established as being ancient Jedi and Sith weapons. the old tech also explains why the blade of the Kylo's LS seems to flicker and 'burn' instead of being a clean beam as with the newer ones

its like he using a blunderbuss or a flintlock

Rebels seems to have been created specifically to retcon things into the Star Wars universe so they can be used in the movies.

I am getting feedback from my friends who have seen this movie and none of them seem too happy, even if none of them are saying it was horrible. The feeling seems to be more of a "SW has lost it's direction" kinda thing.