Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know as well as anyone who's familiar with Hollywood that the title of Executive Producer is just a handjob title to get some bucks and a credit. JJ was completely absent from this movie.

Well, he is still the boss and he did have to sign off on the final film, the edits and his name would have been on the paychecks. I agree with you guys saying he had no input. He actually did step completely away. But only because he is making his own trilogy now.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what...e-last-jedi-according-to-rian-johnson-2017-12

When asked about whether or not Abrams provided any character input, Johnson explained:

"No, he was really gracious, in just stepping back and giving us a blank slate to work with. The starting point was The Force Awakens script, which is quite a big, expansive, wonderful starting point. In that way, we are drawing directly from his work. But from that point forward it was a blank canvas."

From there, J.J. Abrams will take the torch back from Rian Johnson (who is moving on to his own trilogy of Star Warsfilms) and adapt to these significant creative changes. It's almost impossible to tell where the franchise intends to go after the events of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, so we will have to wait and see what Abrams and Johnson manage to cook up for us.

Meh

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They have ruined the Force in The Force Awakens and now The Last Jedi. Surprisingly, they did not ruin it in Rogue One.

The force is a former of being that can be used for many things in many ways by the user depending on their beliefs (sith/jedi/gray)

--------------
you all say that the new movies are too derivative of the OT,but yet, as they expand and move fwd in time the story, you then seem to say they are not derivative enough

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The force is a former of being that can be used for many things in many ways by the user depending on their beliefs (sith/jedi/gray)

--------------
you all say that the new movies are too derivative of the OT,but yet, as they expand and move fwd in time the story, you then seem to say they are not derivative enough

When you watch Episode IV and then Episode VIII one after the other, the similarities are obvious in the way the story plays out and even many of the scene setups (visually). You also see where they "twisted" elements to try and create something new in the Star Wars universe, and in doing so they threw off things that are the foundation of the SW universe. They pushed the envelope way out of shape. A Starkiller Base? Non-clone Stormtroopers (and lolworthy Captain Phasma), the First Order, a rolling ball astro droid, and Kylo Ren...is he the best they got? :) Now, they can track through hyperspace???

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the clone Stormtroopers are the distortion. In the OT they were obviously just soldiers. And TBH Kylo Ren is probably the best part of the new films - he actually has an arc and Adam Driver is playing him well.

OM, you are primarily a Trek fan (I know because in a real way so am I). That means we are in the classic science fiction mold where we focus on plot elements and physical science and particulars over characters. Star Wars fans (I know a bunch) value characters over specific science points and such. Remember this came up when discussing Rogue One where I noted that Star Wars fanbase liked The Force Awakens better while the Science Fiction fans liked Rogue One better - and you agreed with that observation?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually the clone Stormtroopers are the distortion. In the OT they were obviously just soldiers. And TBH Kylo Ren is probably the best part of the new films - he actually has an arc and Adam Driver is playing him well.

True (bolded). The prequels made the first stormtroopers clones, then in the "later" events of the OT, they were just regular soldiers, of varying sizes and heights. But there were never any female stormtroopers, let alone a Captain. I am okay with it, but adding Phasma did nothing for the saga.

OM, you are primarily a Trek fan (I know because in a real way so am I). That means we are in the classic science fiction mold where we focus on plot elements and physical science and particulars over characters. Star Wars fans (I know a bunch) value characters over specific science points and such. Remember this came up when discussing Rogue One where I noted that Star Wars fanbase liked The Force Awakens better while the Science Fiction fans liked Rogue One better - and you agreed with that observation?

Yep, I still agree with it. :) This last film though....it was a hard watch.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I agree about The Last Jedi - note I compared it to Star Trek Into Darkness...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh I agree about The Last Jedi - note I compared it to Star Trek Into Darkness...

It was bad, but fixable with a new trilogy. I am still going to watch anything Star Wars as a movie no matter what I hear. :)

Yep, they did that. The moment felt....bizarre. It was one of the most wtf moments in the film.

View attachment 33762

Well now I've got to see this movie, if only for that scene because it sounds so incredibly bizarre to me! What does she do? Does she actually fly? What's the purpose of it? You can spoiler it if you want.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She is blown into space and uses the Force to fly to safety - it's why I called her Mary Poppins.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
They have ruined the Force in The Force Awakens and now The Last Jedi. Surprisingly, they did not ruin it in Rogue One.

They ruined the force in the prequels by turning them into a bacterial disease. Star Wars isn't science fiction it's dungeons and dragons in space. Lucas should have left well enough alone with the force being something metaphysical and magical. Imagine they started explaining away Harry Potter's magic with actual pseudo science somewhere in the first installments. Nobody would have turned up for the sequels.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
She is blown into space and uses the Force to fly to safety - it's why I called her Mary Poppins.

This is how we know for certain Abrams was nowhere near this project. He's a fan wanker who will steal from previous movies to make new movies but not the type of director who would have allowed a glowing Leia to fly around in space like superman's uncle's friend's drunk aunt.

They ruined the force in the prequels by turning them into a bacterial disease. Star Wars isn't science fiction it's dungeons and dragons in space. Lucas should have left well enough alone with the force being something metaphysical and magical. Imagine they started explaining away Harry Potter's magic with actual pseudo science somewhere in the first installments. Nobody would have turned up for the sequels.

Midichlorian orange juice -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!

7ygg6cmu2z0z.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Episode VIII

you mean ep7? :)

When you watch Episode IV and then Episode VIII one after the other, the similarities are obvious in the way the story plays out and even many of the scene setups (visually). You also see where they "twisted" elements to try and create something new in the Star Wars universe, and in doing so they threw off things that are the foundation of the SW universe. They pushed the envelope way out of shape. A Starkiller Base? Non-clone Stormtroopers (and lolworthy Captain Phasma), the First Order, a rolling ball astro droid, and Kylo Ren...is he the best they got? :) Now, they can track through hyperspace???

like i said before, stories progress even if here wit this trilogy

yes, there are familiar elements but they reflect that "wheel" of life repeating things in general and in specific the continuing story of the Skywalker family and how its new generation-seemingly ,so far, just one person-is condemned to repeat the mistakes of the family's past--Kylo worships Darth Vader NOT Anakin Skywalker--

yes, phasma = dumb. starkiller base = even a stretch for star wars

cutesy droids = freaking annoying; give us more like K2SO if you must give us droids at all!

and ONCE AGAIN --sigh--- it is what it is, as presented and we can either digest it or vomit it back

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well now I've got to see this movie, if only for that scene because it sounds so incredibly bizarre to me! What does she do? Does she actually fly? What's the purpose of it? You can spoiler it if you want.

yes, again, like starkiller base, a stretch for even star wars fans

now, in their defense, they can just stick with the line "the force is strong in my family...", spoken by Luke about the Skywalkers

in PhMenace we here it also when testing the mitichlorian count in Anakin. that is, the high count will allow him and his descendants to be innately strong in the use of the force

so, i guess, tptb's could defend this magic trick of hers by using that

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Midichlorians are NOT the Force. Having a high count makes one a better user of the force, not that one with a low count could not be a force user, they would just need more training

The Jedi favored those with lower counts has they feared a resurgence of strong force users who may turn to the Sith as happened in the past. They prefer weaker users so they can be molded and used more effectively by the Jedi council

a high count makes one easier to train in the force, though some trng is still needed

its like some kids who just 'get' math without much training and others are less receptive to math instruction based on their innate "numbers sense"

it may be genetic or not, here is the article (but you probably will trash it because it has to do with humans )

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/jan-feb/39-some-have-a-head-for-math

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The moment she does this is really a wtf moment like no other in any Star Wars movie. This is me at that moment:
images.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is how we know for certain Abrams was nowhere near this project. He's a fan wanker who will steal from previous movies to make new movies but not the type of director who would have allowed a glowing Leia to fly around in space like superman's uncle's friend's drunk aunt.

It was like a glowing Aunt Clara from Bewitched in space.

f6e1a1daa1126354900d14a82aecaa95.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Midichlorians are NOT the Force. Having a high count makes one a better user of the force, not that one with a low count could not be a force user, they would just need more training

The Jedi favored those with lower counts has they feared a resurgence of strong force users who may turn to the Sith as happened in the past. They prefer weaker users so they can be molded and used more effectively by the Jedi council

a high count makes one easier to train in the force, though some trng is still needed

its like some kids who just 'get' math without much training and others are less receptive to math instruction based on their innate "numbers sense"

it may be genetic or not, here is the article (but you probably will trash it because it has to do with humans )

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/jan-feb/39-some-have-a-head-for-math

In the new movies, nobody needs training OR the Jedi Council to run up on the baddest dark Force users like Kylo Ren. Rey went from digging through Imperial wreckage to be an expert Millenium Falcon pilot and lightsaber knight in nothing flat. All of that stuff about midichlorian count is really not relevant in these new movies. But I know I am in the minority of those who are okay with the prequels. :) I thought the midichlorian thing was a good thing.

In the new movies, nobody needs training OR the Jedi Council to run up on the baddest dark Force users like Kylo Ren. Rey went from digging through Imperial wreckage to be an expert Millenium Falcon pilot and lightsaber knight in nothing flat. All of that stuff about midichlorian count is really not relevant in these new movies. But I know I am in the minority of those who are okay with the prequels. :) I thought the midichlorian thing was a good thing.

Nope, it was a stupid, botched attempt to transfer the story from a fantasy setting to scifi. There was never any need to do that. Obviously TPTB know that now because we haven't heard that word spoken again, have we?