Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
GREAT observation. I agree with Ape about the rolling droid not fitting in with Star Wars. But I also agree with you about the space scenes in Trek (and some of the first film) being done more like Star Wars than Star Trek. And that last statement about Trek being Scifi and Star Wars being Fantasy, that was true until Abrams made BOTH of them fantasy. :(. NuTrek does not pass for science fiction anymore.

I was speaking of Trek being Science Fiction not NuTrek :)

Really ALL of the scenes in NuTrek felt more like Star Wars. The pacing, visual cues (like bolts instead of beams) and everything felt Star Wars. Go back to Kirk on the ice planet in the 09 film - all that was missing was a TaunTaun and it would have fit into The Empire Strikes Back pretty well.

As to the rolling droid, I just thought back to the various shapes and forms of droids seen in (for example) the Jawa carrier in the original Star Wars and realized this little guy fits right in. Even better, it's a practical effect and an actual robot designed and built by Pinewood Studios.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was speaking of Trek being Science Fiction not NuTrek :)

Really ALL of the scenes in NuTrek felt more like Star Wars. The pacing, visual cues (like bolts instead of beams) and everything felt Star Wars. Go back to Kirk on the ice planet in the 09 film - all that was missing was a TaunTaun and it would have fit into The Empire Strikes Back pretty well.

As to the rolling droid, I just thought back to the various shapes and forms of droids seen in (for example) the Jawa carrier in the original Star Wars and realized this little guy fits right in. Even better, it's a practical effect and an actual robot designed and built by Pinewood Studios.

Agree on everything except that rolling droid. :) He is cute, but gimmicky. A rolling robot ball makes no sense except as a toy. What sort of purpose could a droid with that form factor have? R2D2 has tools, can fly, has sturdy feet with rollers which can firmly attach to the hulls of ships, etc. His designed purpose is to repair ships and do maintenance (even though he has expanded his programming). What purpose would BB2 serve?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Agree on everything except that rolling droid. :) He is cute, but gimmicky. A rolling robot ball makes no sense except as a toy. What sort of purpose could a droid with that form factor have? R2D2 has tools, can fly, has sturdy feet with rollers which can firmly attach to the hulls of ships, etc. His designed purpose is to repair ships and do maintenance (even though he has expanded his programming). What purpose would BB2 serve?

A rolling droid can deal with almost any type of surface. If its primary purpose is exploration, it would be ideal.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly. We don't know what BB8 is designed for.

R2D2 was designed (per the OT) for general maintenance and repair and to be an astromech droid in some types of small ships (like the T-65 X-Wing). BB8 may be a scout droid or something like that - small and faster and intended to range out ahead of its owner. We'll see when the film opens.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A rolling droid can deal with almost any type of surface. If its primary purpose is exploration, it would be ideal.

Not when you have MULTIPLE types of flying droids to do the same thing, and we have been seeing those recon droids since the very first film.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Now strikethrough "Disney" and insert "Lucasfilm". Even your links state that this is under the control of Lucasfilm. And that includes Abrams. And Lucasfilm does know a lot about both Science Fiction and Star Wars. Nor is it like Disney put their own people in to run Lucasfilm. Kathleen Kennedy is an old veteran of both Lucasfilm (all the Raiders films) and Spielberg as well.

In fact, all those links state that there has been no effort to "Disney-fy" the film. It sounds like Disney is leaving it up to the company they specifically bought for both the rights to the story and their expertise in telling that story (especially with Lucas himself gone - thankfully).

like i said before- DISNEY will not do/let a bad thing that would damage the golden goose that is star wars

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I said that when they unveiled him. BB2? Really? His design makes no sense. What sort of droid is he? How is he used? I suppose we will see, but he seems to have no function attached to his form. A lot of good he would be on an inclined surface, huh? What about mud or water? WHY does he roll when speeders and even Yoda's chair have anti-grav? To me he is just a gimmick to TRY and one up R2D2 and force his self-declared cuteness into our hearts. :rolleyes: :anim_59:

I dunno...there is a disturbance in the Force IMO. I am feeling a feeling of Trek Suck coming on for Star Wars. Why do I get this vibe that JJ Abrams seriously wants to be the new Steven Speilberg? I think this movie will be shiny and loud and full of action and lights and be fast paced. But it's story and the way the elements come together is what makes Star Wars. He utterly failed at doing Trek IMO. And he left it in a shambles. Even if they have to dump him after Star Wars VII, what if the damage he does is long ranging?

maybe BB is just a homemade droid made by Rey from the spare parts found in her scavenging? A "one off" creation?

I mean, if the fan theories are correct,and she is a Skywalker (either a daughter of Luke or Leia), then she may have the same DIY tech abilities that Anakin and Luke had--remeber their tooling around? Didn't Anakin build 3po?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Not when you have MULTIPLE types of flying droids to do the same thing, and we have been seeing those recon droids since the very first film.

A rolling droid will have access to terrains R2D2 cannot. Flying won't help your droid access tight spaces like small caverns, for example.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You're right Bluce. Dark Empire is not canon (it was specifically thrown out when Lucasfilm changed how the Star Wars canon is handled). And as it was excrement thank goodness.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They would be taking the premise from the Dark Horse comics series "Dark Empire", which I don't believe is considered canon.
You're right Bluce. Dark Empire is not canon (it was specifically thrown out when Lucasfilm changed how the Star Wars canon is handled). And as it was excrement thank goodness.

I have not read much of the Star Wars EU. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, you are not missing much anymore...............

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have not read much of the Star Wars EU. :(

You didn't miss much. Outside of Timothy Zahn's trilogy the material was poorly written and had a lot of junk in it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They would be taking the premise from the Dark Horse comics series "Dark Empire", which I don't believe is considered canon.

yeah, but it is a new movie with a Luke Skywalker who is 30 yrs older
a most likely withdrawn and/or depressed Luke

the events talked about in aftermath--the canonical book that is now out. It describes what happened after the Battle of Yavin

the fact that Vader and the emperor dies did little to stop the empire-in fact, some "Moff's" and other military men found it liberating-without having their men and resources being held to act in a way that was 'kosher' with "some hokey old religion".

they (i didn't read the book yet) apparently put the rebellion back on the run and into hiding--the battle of Jakku was just a new start to the rebels fighting back again

point is--that with Luke being a Skywalker-a family with potential mental issues--and his being the "last Jedi" and all the weight that accompanies, along with the Empire not having been destroyed-may have been enough to make him go "Dark" (or "gray").

-------
that video has Hamill and JJ together---JJ may of had this idea burning in his head ever since

and a new movie-progressing forward in the timeline-can write whatever canon the creator wants so long as it does not go against what has been established

it was never established that Luke would be good forever

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
maybe BB is just a homemade droid made by Rey from the spare parts found in her scavenging? A "one off" creation?

I mean, if the fan theories are correct,and she is a Skywalker (either a daughter of Luke or Leia), then she may have the same DIY tech abilities that Anakin and Luke had--remeber their tooling around? Didn't Anakin build 3po?

in fact-I am going to do something I have NEVER done here- I am gonna bet $1,25 million dollars :vala-newanime016: THAT Rey did in fact build BB8 :anim_59:

I gotta a feeling..... :anim_19:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What if BB8 built Rey?