Star Trek VOY: General Discussion Thread

G

Graybrew1

No no... I'm too bossy and demanding to be on the bottom in any relationship. :)

So, many things could be said to put you in your place. Too many to think of....consider yourself put in your place. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Open boards. Must behave. :icon_e_wink:

That's a good commentary on the thread of late. It's gotten rather explicit, and we don't want it going to flame hell do we?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
On a different note, Janeway is right up there at the top of my Star Trek Captins rankings. Able to make tough calls but also relatable to. Interestingly, Adama in nuBSG seems patterned after her a bit in that they both were excellent strategists and commanders who had an issue with getting too close to the people under their command.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
That's a good commentary on the thread of late. It's gotten rather explicit, and we don't want it going to flame hell do we?
This applies to a lot of threads. Green for you, Joelist!

On a different note, Janeway is right up there at the top of my Star Trek Captins rankings. Able to make tough calls but also relatable to. Interestingly, Adama in nuBSG seems patterned after her a bit in that they both were excellent strategists and commanders who had an issue with getting too close to the people under their command.
Interesting observation. This is something that puts Janeway much closer to Picard than to Kirk, although otherwise she is the most "Kirk-like" of all the other captains IMO.

S

Stonelesscutter

You know Kirk sounds exactly like the Dutch word for cork.
Captain Cork is in command! :D

G

Graybrew1

This applies to a lot of threads. Green for you, Joelist!

Interesting observation. This is something that puts Janeway much closer to Picard than to Kirk, although otherwise she is the most "Kirk-like" of all the other captains IMO.

You think Picard got too close to the people is his command? I remember one ep where he tried to date Crusher but It was actually a replica of him. I thought he was always pretty fair. It was fitting that in the very last ep in the last scene he sat down and joined the weekly poker game. He had always abstained before, I would believe for that exact reason. Kirk seemed quite partial to Spock throughout the entire show and much more emotional than Picard. I thought Picard was the most stoic of all the captains with Janeway a close second. In all fairness, I really did not watch DS9 much yet, so I had to take out the equation.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
You think Picard got too close to the people is his command? I remember one ep where he tried to date Crusher but It was actually a replica of him. I thought he was always pretty fair. It was fitting that in the very last ep in the last scene he sat down and joined the weekly poker game. He had always abstained before, I would believe for that exact reason. Kirk seemed quite partial to Spock throughout the entire show and much more emotional than Picard. I thought Picard was the most stoic of all the captains with Janeway a close second. In all fairness, I really did not watch DS9 much yet, so I had to take out the equation.
I think I didn't express myself clearly enough. I agree with you! Picard, like Janeway, liked to keep a distance to his subordinates. If he ever interacted with them, it was with cold politeness if not outright awkwardness. Much different than Kirk.
Janeway was more like Kirk in the sense of being gung-ho, always making gutsy decisions, playing hardball, twisting the rules according to the situation and getting her hands dirty every chance she could. That's why Chakotay went a little bit under IMO. He was no Spock that could stand out even beside such a strong captain.

G

Graybrew1

I think I didn't express myself clearly enough. I agree with you! Picard, like Janeway, liked to keep a distance to his subordinates. If he ever interacted with them, it was with cold politeness if not outright awkwardness. Much different than Kirk.
Janeway was more like Kirk in the sense of being gung-ho, always making gutsy decisions, playing hardball, twisting the rules according to the situation and getting her hands dirty every chance she could. That's why Chakotay went a little bit under IMO. He was no Spock that could stand out even beside such a strong captain.

Sorry, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. :)

Tropicana

Council Member
In regards to Chakotay, I really wish Janeway and Chakotay got together; they seem perfect for each other. Sure they had their disagreements, but when they were working together, the pair were amazing. Chakotay was Janeway's rock IMO.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In regards to Chakotay, I really wish Janeway and Chakotay got together; they seem perfect for each other. Sure they had their disagreements, but when they were working together, the pair were amazing. Chakotay was Janeway's rock IMO.

I often felt that they would "touch base" at least once in the series, but Im glad they didnt go there. Starfleet is still a military organization, and in Trek, the concept of military decorum is still upheld and is highlighted in the show...sometimes centering around it. The Voyager episode "30 Days" is a good example. As is "The Sickness". Janeway reprimanded B'Elanna and Tom Paris for open fraternizing and behavior unbecoming of officers. You cant have sex with your First Officer, no matter how sexy he or she is. But I have to say, in Endgame, the chemistry between Chakotay and Seven of Nine was so natural...it was HOT. Its good to know they got together later. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I often felt that they would "touch base" at least once in the series, but Im glad they didnt go there. Starfleet is still a military organization, and in Trek, the concept of military decorum is still upheld and is highlighted in the show...sometimes centering around it. The Voyager episode "30 Days" is a good example. As is "The Sickness". Janeway reprimanded B'Elanna and Tom Paris for open fraternizing and behavior unbecoming of officers. You cant have sex with your First Officer, no matter how sexy he or she is. But I have to say, in Endgame, the chemistry between Chakotay and Seven of Nine was so natural...it was HOT. Its good to know they got together later. :)

That was the thing with Janeway-she struggled with the whole problem of whether she was too distant or too familiar (which could undermine her authority). It was well written and gave her depth. She always sought the right balance between friendship and discipline.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That was the thing with Janeway-she struggled with the whole problem of whether she was too distant or too familiar (which could undermine her authority). It was well written and gave her depth. She always sought the right balance between friendship and discipline.

Funny in some ways
I never considered it Janeways job to determine that line, It (for me) was the job of those below her to decide just how far they could push that line. From a purely "command" position, she never had to give anyone an inch, yet for the sake of morale and being a relatable commander, she allowed them to get "closer" in order to be a better commander in the situation she was in.

Tropicana

Council Member
But the boundaries did sorta melt over the 7 years, when you watch Season 1, she would take long strolls as she calls it, wondering whether to approach crew members who are clearly homesick, or to uphold the rigid authority figure, Captain is Captain. You don't invite the Captain to dinner, the Captain invites you if you're worthy enough. That mentality faded over the years and I like the way it turned out by the final season, some Captains might be appalled by this but it meant that they worked better as a team IMO.

Anyway, currently watching "Endgame" again for the millionth time and I must say, I know the lines off by heart and the inflections - sad I know.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the way they explained the Queen in First Contact would allow for her to "die" and then reappear - she is basically the personification of the hive mind with a "personality" imposed to create order. So the FC Queen was made from data transmitted over from the sphere before it was destroyed.

Now in "Endgame", that Queen may have been the original so to speak as it was in the Borg Transwarp hub. So when she assimilated Admiral Janeway and absorbed the pathogen that may have done severe damage to the Collective long term.