Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

So, it is a fail in advance. Good! This means that Season 2 will be the nail in the coffin for this thing. Kurtzman does not know Star Trek. He has created his own version of it, and that is where he lives. He will NEVER get it right, and if this was a good thing, then CBS would not be telling him to move the show more in line with the canon and appearance. His Kelvinverse is out of steam, and this is just a TV version of that with a few changes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
CBS will takeover viacom

If this happens, then we can get our Prime Universe back in it's complete form. This is AWESOME news! But we can't have Kurtzman involved or Bad Robot or anyone from the Kelvinverse or NuTrek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like how they finish off with how they feel about s t d ,,, lol ...
:shep_lol::smiley-laughing021::icon_lol:

That made me laugh too. :anim_59: I am excited about this news, because in all fairness to the reboot movies (not Discovery), the reason there were so many changes and compromises on canon stuff was partially due to licensing between CBS and Paramount. This is true of Discovery too, but most of the problem with Discovery is the horrible writing and the whole universe of the show they pinched off for us. ALL the ships are different for every race we have ever seen. And just look at them! They are all horrible and none of them look related to one another (within their race). The Starfleet ships don't look like they have any commonality. The Klingon ships don't even look like they should be able to fly, and what is with all the spikes and crap?

https://trekmovie.com/2018/01/11/eaglemoss-unveils-first-wave-of-star-trek-discovery-ship-models/

STD_Ships.png

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is no way to move into the prime timeline with these ships. Even if they manage to deux ex machina the canon events, what about these awful ships and the Klingons? This is the Klingon Bird of Prey for STD:

Klingon-Bird-of-Prey_Disco-640x477.jpg
How do they go from that thing to this?

BoPViews.jpg

And just look at this thing! Its supposed to be Klingon. :facepalm:

klingon-Qugh-640x364.png

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
For some reason this thread right now keeps showing as Unread for me no matter how many times I open it and regardless of which device I use. Only after using the "mark all as read" feature I got it to disappear.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I think most of you don't actually watch the show, but I will say I was surprised that they managed to dig themselves out of a major part of the "darkness" in the season finale that they created for themselves. I don't have high hopes they will keep it this way for season 2 but it was a surprising twist.

If they could bring some good writers on board now and actually make the show more like ST, then it would be nice to see what they would do with it. Alas, like I said, I don't have high hopes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For some reason this thread right now keeps showing as Unread for me no matter how many times I open it and regardless of which device I use. Only after using the "mark all as read" feature I got it to disappear.

I am having issues with the upload module myself, and some things seem to be acting up. I will do some work today on the back end. I think the files need to be updated.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I am having issues with the upload module myself, and some things seem to be acting up. I will do some work today on the back end. I think the files need to be updated.

While you're looking into stuff, is there a way of stickying a thread at the top of the "recent threads" column? I think it could be useful to have a single thread there for general stuff which has no specific topic. I frequently find I quickly wish to share something but don't have the time to go look for a section to post it in and create a whole new thread for it. Or it's something not important or interesting enough to warrant a whole thread of its own. So I sometimes post stuff in the chat, but it's just not the same. Also I imagine the chat history only goes back so far, so over time information is lost. I kinda like the idea of a random thread where anyone can post anything and other people can either respond to it or ignore it. The chat also doesn't allow for quoting and other more interesting options.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
That made me laugh too. :anim_59: I am excited about this news, because in all fairness to the reboot movies (not Discovery), the reason there were so many changes and compromises on canon stuff was partially due to licensing between CBS and Paramount. This is true of Discovery too, but most of the problem with Discovery is the horrible writing and the whole universe of the show they pinched off for us. ALL the ships are different for every race we have ever seen. And just look at them! They are all horrible and none of them look related to one another (within their race). The Starfleet ships don't look like they have any commonality. The Klingon ships don't even look like they should be able to fly, and what is with all the spikes and crap?

https://trekmovie.com/2018/01/11/eaglemoss-unveils-first-wave-of-star-trek-discovery-ship-models/

View attachment 33990
Well ! . I did not know there hands were tied . Perhaps they should not have pursued making new trek movies if they could not stay within canon ... All they have done thus far is have fans of Star Trek become disenchanted with the series . We are the lucky ones ( the older generation ) who grew up with TOS ...We have that memory in our hearts forever and so we can just sit back and laugh at all this debauchery that is happening now ...
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
While you're looking into stuff, is there a way of stickying a thread at the top of the "recent threads" column? I think it could be useful to have a single thread there for general stuff which has no specific topic. I frequently find I quickly wish to share something but don't have the time to go look for a section to post it in and create a whole new thread for it. Or it's something not important or interesting enough to warrant a whole thread of its own. So I sometimes post stuff in the chat, but it's just not the same. Also I imagine the chat history only goes back so far, so over time information is lost. I kinda like the idea of a random thread where anyone can post anything and other people can either respond to it or ignore it. The chat also doesn't allow for quoting and other more interesting options.

Try now with the unread. I am looking into your other request to sticky a thread in Recent Threads.

Testing image upload/resize:

20150224test644-1508x706_c.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ok, I created a thread called "Random Banter", and it is a sticky thread which will always be displayed. :)

EDIT: Looks like the glitches which were happening for me have been fixed. Uploads working fine, and read/unread function appears to be working (this is a database action and not a cookie-based flag). Page loads are faster.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think most of you don't actually watch the show, but I will say I was surprised that they managed to dig themselves out of a major part of the "darkness" in the season finale that they created for themselves. I don't have high hopes they will keep it this way for season 2 but it was a surprising twist.

If they could bring some good writers on board now and actually make the show more like ST, then it would be nice to see what they would do with it. Alas, like I said, I don't have high hopes.

I need to do a complete watch of this show episode by episode, but I can never make it through to the end! I start an episode, then I cant help but switch it off after about 15 min. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well ! . I did not know there hands were tied . Perhaps they should not have pursued making new trek movies if they could not stay within canon ... All they have done thus far is have fans of Star Trek become disenchanted with the series . We are the lucky ones ( the older generation ) who grew up with TOS ...We have that memory in our hearts forever and so we can just sit back and laugh at all this debauchery that is happening now ...
;)

They could have stayed within canon and still skirted the licensing issues. The ships had to be different, but not THAT different. No USS Enterprise, but the design parameters could have stayed more similar. Look at Voyager. It looks distinctly Federation, yet it looks nothing like any other starship in the Federation and it is the only ship in the Intrepid class we have seen. Defiant also looked distinctly Federation and looked like no other ship. The Enterprise 1701-D was a totally different ship and class of ship, and still looked distinctly Federation. These ships look sorta Federation, but the designs are too advanced and too different for the time period Discovery is supposed to be in. What they did to them does not qualify as an "update".

The writing was not strapped by licensing either. There did not need to be a Michael Burnham, and Sarek was unnecessary. And all the other extra crap they added into Discovery is a writing team gone amok and amped up on Starbucks. The spore drive, the windshield on the bridge decks of ALL the ships, the HUD displays and holograms, all could have been closer to canon. The uniforms could have been different colors. The Klingons did not have to be changed AS MUCH, but yes there was a licensing issue with them and the other prime timeline aliens.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I need to do a complete watch of this show episode by episode, but I can never make it through to the end! I start an episode, then I cant help but switch it off after about 15 min. :(
If you do watch it, just don't call it ST to yourself and mute the scenes when the Klingons talk to each other. They are headache inducing how hard they seem to need to push themselves to enunciate words. Keep in mind there is a light to the never ending tunnel of darkness in season finale, and like I said a nice twist in the end.

They could have stayed within canon and still skirted the licensing issues. The ships had to be different, but not THAT different. No USS Enterprise, but the design parameters could have stayed more similar. Look at Voyager. It looks distinctly Federation, yet it looks nothing like any other starship in the Federation and it is the only ship in the Intrepid class we have seen. Defiant also looked distinctly Federation and looked like no other ship. The Enterprise 1701-D was a totally different ship and class of ship, and still looked distinctly Federation. These ships look sorta Federation, but the designs are too advanced and too different for the time period Discovery is supposed to be in. What they did to them does not qualify as an "update".

The writing was not strapped by licensing either. There did not need to be a Michael Burnham, and Sarek was unnecessary. And all the other extra crap they added into Discovery is a writing team gone amok and amped up on Starbucks. The spore drive, the windshield on the bridge decks of ALL the ships, the HUD displays and holograms, all could have been closer to canon. The uniforms could have been different colors. The Klingons did not have to be changed AS MUCH, but yes there was a licensing issue with them and the other prime timeline aliens.

You're right, the licensing issue is not as big a problem as it's made out to be. There are a ton of story ideas they could easily have explored without worrying about stepping on toes. This is Star Trek. It involves the entire universe. The writing possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately STD doesn't have genuine writers, it has infantile scribblers who aren't talented enough to come up with anything original and clever. They're fixated on bungling rehashed storylines from the original series replete with potty humor and lame references to things that are decidedly not Star Trek like discotheques, the F-bomb, etc. They also think that Easter eggs validate the show as being true Trek. That tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the writing staff on this show. :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're right, the licensing issue is not as big a problem as it's made out to be. There are a ton of story ideas they could easily have explored without worrying about stepping on toes. This is Star Trek. It involves the entire universe. The writing possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately STD doesn't have genuine writers, it has infantile scribblers who aren't talented enough to come up with anything original and clever. They're fixated on bungling rehashed storylines from the original series replete with potty humor and lame references to things that are decidedly not Star Trek like discotheques, the F-bomb, etc. They also think that Easter eggs validate the show as being true Trek. That tells you everything you need to know about the quality of the writing staff on this show. :rolleye0014:

I'm watching the episodes and reviewing them on another thread HERE.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I was thinking that exact same thing when I saw that pic! She looks like a backup singer for a disco band.

Hey Michael, Patti LaBelle called, she kicked you out of the group and she wants her costume back. :icon_lol:

View attachment 33797
Oh wow ... I see how the writers got the double dong thing for the will knotz .
Check out dat chicks crotch in that picture !!!
;)