Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard Lorca is a creep. That is a huge turn off for me because that is not what Star Trek is supposed to be. No one wants loathesome, creepy or "Edgelord"-type Star Fleet captains. It's one thing to have a main Star Trek character be flawed yet quite another to have them be an outright POS. When will these Hollywood writers learn that we don't want shitbags as protagonists?

Lorca would be an adversary needing to be reigned in if he was in TNG. He reminds me of the Russian sub captain in Red October in his behavior, only he deserves much less respect.

Lorca would be an adversary needing to be reigned in if he was in TNG. He reminds me of the Russian sub captain in Red October in his behavior, only he deserves much less respect.

I'm mystified that any writer would think that viewers are going to empathize/sympathize with reprehensible characters in the protagonist role. The STD protagonists don't even fit the antihero meme, they're just repellent.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm mystified that any writer would think that viewers are going to empathize/sympathize with reprehensible characters in the protagonist role. The STD protagonists don't even fit the antihero meme, they're just repellent.

Yep, and what is with that spinning ship? Who thought that would be cool? It is the equivalent of the Presidential limousine doing doughnuts on Pennsylvania Avenue. It's worse than this:

wonder.gif

Yep, and what is with that spinning ship? Who thought that would be cool? It is the equivalent of the Presidential limousine doing doughnuts on Pennsylvania Avenue. It's worse than this:

View attachment 33707

The spinning ship seems as bad, if not worse than, the communication stones from SGU. The physics just don't make sense.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don’t forget that all the sets are too dark - literally.

EVERYTHING is too dark, inside and also outside the ship. But it also manages to be too bright as well! They give us the bright flashlight in the dark room effect everywhere. Even on the TV ad:

cropped_std.jpg

And let's also not forget the damned Dutch Angles and lensflares. :facepalm:

bridge-new-uniforms-800x400.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The ships are so poorly lit that every time an away team beams down to a planet in daylight they should be disoriented from the sudden light.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The ships are so poorly lit that every time an away team beams down to a planet in daylight they should be disoriented from the sudden light.

It's all just mind-numbingly stupid. You get absolutely no idea what the inside of this ship is like. There are (hopefully) groups of crew who actually get along and do jobs on the ship without arguing or dropping the f-bomb at random moments. How did Tilly make it through Starfleet Academy? In fact, we don't really know if there IS a Starfleet Academy.

When you step back and look at what TPTB are trying to do here, you see the awful truth. They have given us a prequel in the Kelvinverse timeline, not the prime timeline. They are trying to erase the prime timeline. At literally ANY moment in Discovery, they can suddenly jump into some dumb time anomaly and erase future history and veer off into sporeville with the giant retardigrade. Maybe that's what the spinning saucers are for?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The spinning ship seems as bad, if not worse than, the communication stones from SGU. The physics just don't make sense.

How could they get the ship to spin in space like that? And mostly, WHY would they do it? The physics of thrusters and even the fictional impulse engines would not allow it to spin like a fidget spinner. With that kind of maneuverability, what can the torpedoes do? Then, after asinine spinning, it jumps into warp? WHY? When we see the sections spinning, there is no reason they are spinning that makes any sense. And you suddenly realize that the saucer section with concentric rings makes absolutely no engineering sense whatsoever.

Somebody on the writing staff is taking some very stoney drugs. They want to remove the "trek" from Star Trek. They should call it Star Talk.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The people watching this crap sure as hell love and watched sgpoo also . No if's and's or but's about it . It has all the same ear markings as sgpoo did . Hateful , dark , stupid , lame , angry ,ugly, irritating, destroys cannon , characters you can't stand, not a one . But sgpoo has one thing going for it that std does not . It's freaking space craft acted like they were supposed to mostly !!!.
No dam spinning and twirling and sparkles everywhere with lot's and lot's of lense flare ...
:smiley-015:

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
One of the movie and show reviewers from CBC will be watching the entire season one shows over the holidays . I look forward to his review in the new year . I wonder if he will also be throwing up watching this garbage or will he become a fan ... All I can do is brag about my 23 mins of viewing which I would love to go back in time and remove that mistake from my timeline ...He on the other hand will have to endure this crap because that's his job . Poor basturd ,,,
;)

How could they get the ship to spin in space like that? And mostly, WHY would they do it? The physics of thrusters and even the fictional impulse engines would not allow it to spin like a fidget spinner. With that kind of maneuverability, what can the torpedoes do? Then, after asinine spinning, it jumps into warp? WHY? When we see the sections spinning, there is no reason they are spinning that makes any sense. And you suddenly realize that the saucer section with concentric rings makes absolutely no engineering sense whatsoever.

Somebody on the writing staff is taking some very stoney drugs. They want to remove the "trek" from Star Trek. They should call it Star Talk.

Yup, there needs to be a reason for the way a ship is engineered in the ST universe. When they did the saucer separation back in the TNG era that was, ostensibly, for maneuverability in certain situations and so the non-essential crew could be safely stowed away on one of the ships. And in Voyager the ship had a bio-mechanical computer system with a "neural" network that was supposed to be state of the art. These "physics" made sense within the context of the shows and more importantly, they were explained.

But what's the point of the spinning, gyrating ship in STD? Where's the explanation for parts of the saucer section spinning in opposite directions? And what's with the spastic summersault when the ship jumps to "spore speed" (or whatever that crap is)? That's how they depict time and space folding in on itself? Um, okay. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
What about those spinning plates rotating in opposite directions. How about making artificial gravity.

In the dark I can see someone accidentally pressing the auto-destruct button and then going off for the afternoon tea.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What about those spinning plates rotating in opposite directions. How about making artificial gravity.

In the dark I can see someone accidentally pressing the auto-destruct button and then going off for the afternoon tea.

There was already gravity plating even during Enterprise, so no spinning necessary.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yup, there needs to be a reason for the way a ship is engineered in the ST universe. When they did the saucer separation back in the TNG era that was, ostensibly, for maneuverability in certain situations and so the non-essential crew could be safely stowed away on one of the ships. And in Voyager the ship had a bio-mechanical computer system with a "neural" network that was supposed to be state of the art. These "physics" made sense within the context of the shows and more importantly, they were explained.

But what's the point of the spinning, gyrating ship in STD? Where's the explanation for parts of the saucer section spinning in opposite directions? And what's with the spastic summersault when the ship jumps to "spore speed" (or whatever that crap is)? That's how they depict time and space folding in on itself? Um, okay. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
:SmileyLaughingTears:
I think it does all that because it's a space faring Disco ... Stayin Alive ,Stayin Alive ! Lot's of fancy moves that shake the time continuum ...That ole retardigrade loves Disco ! Makes him wannna shit dat stuff all over the Universe
:lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:SmileyLaughingTears:
I think it does all that because it's a space faring Disco ... Stayin Alive ,Stayin Alive ! Lot's of fancy moves that shake the time continuum ...That ole retardigrade loves Disco ! Makes him wannna shit dat stuff all over the Universe

Up in the Social Media department, some bubbly young Marketing Director for the show is determined to create buzz for this show by trying to get people to call it "Disco", and it isn't working. The disco on the ship with the disco lights showing from the outside of the ship, the disco era music from the Bee Gees, the Disco shirts. Just lol! It isn't catching fire, CBS. NOBODY is going to call it "Disco", sorry CBS dudes! STD for life!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
One of the movie and show reviewers from CBC will be watching the entire season one shows over the holidays . I look forward to his review in the new year . I wonder if he will also be throwing up watching this garbage or will he become a fan ... All I can do is brag about my 23 mins of viewing which I would love to go back in time and remove that mistake from my timeline ...He on the other hand will have to endure this crap because that's his job . Poor basturd ,,,
;)
he's probably well paid to do it. LOL

so the STD is getting worse.... anyone got penicillin? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
he's probably well paid to do it. LOL

so the STD is getting worse.... anyone got penicillin? :P

I think we are beyond penicillin! Yep, it's getting worse because whomever wrote it thought he/she was writing a serialized drama, but watching the episodes back to back to the end of the season tells you almost nothing and shows you random unnecessary moments and scenes that throw off the flimsy soap film of a story there is. For instance, they throw in there that Lorca has issues with his eyes and that is why his office is dark, and the ship is dimly lit. But hey, I suppose some sort of tinted contacts or glasses were just too retro for them? A hundred years later, Geordi LaForge wore a visor. They dim the whole flippin ship because the Captain has eye issues? Mkay. He's the Captain! Why not? Starfleet is okay with a starship Captain who literally has a skeleton in his office, and a random tribble crawling around on his desk.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I think we are beyond penicillin! Yep, it's getting worse because whomever wrote it thought he/she was writing a serialized drama, but watching the episodes back to back to the end of the season tells you almost nothing and shows you random unnecessary moments and scenes that throw off the flimsy soap film of a story there is. For instance, they trow in there that Lorca has issues with his eyes and that is why his office is dark, and the ship is dimly lit. But hey, I suppose some sort of tinted contacts or glasses were just too retro for them? A hundred years later, Geordi LaForge wore a visor. They dim the whole flippin ship because the Captain has eye issues? Mkay. He's the Captain! Why not? Starfleet is okay with a starship Captain who literally has a skeleton in his office, and a random tribble crawling around on his desk.

Obviously this tribble is sterile or there would be thousands dancing all over the ship with all those lensflares and BG's music rollin off the intercom whilst psycho girl is off choking someone to death in a ship closet on deck 3 screaming at them ,show me how to make lense flares dweeb before you go all purple on me like the last crewman I just dragged out to the airlock !!!
:)