Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
FFS. I want to rip my ears off from the amount of Klingon spoken in this show!! :cylon-pancarte04:They sound like they do it slower than in previous incarnations and it is downright headache inducing.

Stop, just stop. Find a way to have them knock it off with all the damn subtitles.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Does this mean I shouldn't expect to get sex tonight -- again? :moody:

All joking aside dude, you take this shit too seriously. Yes it's fine to inquire about the impact of the Netflix Euro market but if it was capable of supporting high-end productions like this don't you think it would have by now? The success of Discovery is heavily dependent on North America, namely the United States. The scales haven't changed enough yet where Europe determines success in this regard. I'm not being jingoistic here, I'm simply stating facts.
You do realize that is my husband right? Joke or not, can you please refrain from this?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Does this mean I shouldn't expect to get sex tonight -- again? :moody:

All joking aside dude, you take this shit too seriously. Yes it's fine to inquire about the impact of the Netflix Euro market but if it was capable of supporting high-end productions like this don't you think it would have by now? The success of Discovery is heavily dependent on North America, namely the United States. The scales haven't changed enough yet where Europe determines success in this regard. I'm not being jingoistic here, I'm simply stating facts.

And where do you get these facts from?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just watched episode 4. It was even more amazing than the last one. This show is really starting to get its footing.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Did you guys completely miss the fact that there abusing a creature to get warp drive out of it's arse but instead hook nipple clamps to it !!! Holy $hit !!! WTF , thats the weirdest effen #shit I have ever seen !!! How come you guys are not commenting about that ? It's !@#*in beyond thought !!!WTH is wrong with these writers !!! OMFG ...
There are some mentally ill people running STD

:icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
This episode sucked ass! I just watched it too. Magic Spores that are yes powered by a giant creature ( saw those nipple clamps---just beyond words on that) that looks like it might belong in a Dr. Seuss book who uses it to again, yes, jump through space with WTF a now spinning saucer section. Holy crap. This show is supposed to be 10 years prior to Kirk, no spinning saucers there.. maybe they got rid of them because of how fucking stupid they are. The roommate of Michael's is more annoying each week and the Mr. Death Senser from her old ship was snipping away at her like a jealous baby. I won't mention the four frakin times they filled with beyond nauseating Klingon speak because I have already ranted about that, but boy I think my ears are bleeding now. This was a pure example of really, really, really bad writing.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You guys are just not seeing the genious of it all.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
LB, Yeah, sure, you love it, I buy that. To each his own, but I think you know how bad this episode was.

My theory is now that they have slowed down the Klingon babble to get people to get into the whole "It's a real language thing" and try to build hype. Really, anyone that knows Klingon will hate it because they now sound like they have to take constant breathes of air whenever they try to speak.. or the writers are just that dumb.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
spock-headshot.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So why would the number of viewers on Netflix worldwide have no bearing? There would appear to be no basis for your statement.

There very much is a basis for my statement.

The money to produce this VERY expensive show can only come from two places at present - CBS or Netflix. Well, Netflix ponied up for the first season and then got upset when it became clear CBS misled them as to what the show actually is. So I don't see them just trusting CBS again and therefore for Netflix it will come down to whether they get 100+ million dollars in foreign revenue (has to be foreign because Netflix in the US does not show the series) to justify sponsoring it again. So it is a reasonable assumption that Netflix will not be nearly as agreeable to fund the show for another season.

Overseas Netflix seems to charge on average about $81 per user per year. So to justify forking over the money again they would need to see an increase in overseas subscribers who are watching the show of about 1.3 million at least.

That leaves CBS. At a subscriber fee of roughly $72 per user per year they would need about 1.4 million new subscribers just to cover the base costs. Well, per reports out on the web they only signed up about 150,000 so at this point the show is about 89 million dollars in the red...

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
There very much is a basis for my statement.

The money to produce this VERY expensive show can only come from two places at present - CBS or Netflix. Well, Netflix ponied up for the first season and then got upset when it became clear CBS misled them as to what the show actually is. So I don't see them just trusting CBS again and therefore for Netflix it will come down to whether they get 100+ million dollars in foreign revenue (has to be foreign because Netflix in the US does not show the series) to justify sponsoring it again. So it is a reasonable assumption that Netflix will not be nearly as agreeable to fund the show for another season.

Overseas Netflix seems to charge on average about $81 per user per year. So to justify forking over the money again they would need to see an increase in overseas subscribers who are watching the show of about 1.3 million at least.

That leaves CBS. At a subscriber fee of roughly $72 per user per year they would need about 1.4 million new subscribers just to cover the base costs. Well, per reports out on the web they only signed up about 150,000 so at this point the show is about 89 million dollars in the red...
Unless they decide to sell to someone like BBC, or quite a few other networks that exist on their own merit quite well with or without USA. You probably have not even heard of most of them. BBC collects 12 pounds a month from each UK household that has a TV, so they have plenty of money to spend as they wish. They call it the UK TV license, I kid you not. We pay it each month.This is on top of any money they make from any other pay channels they offer. So, if the land of Dr. Who, Sherlock and Orphan Black wish to do so, that is completely something they could afford to do. This show still sucks, but USA is not the end all say all, like you all think.

The license is mandatory and if wondering around 190 dollars a year per household, just for the license, which goes to BBC. Then they get any money from their premium offerings too. They have lost of few of their bigger shows lately (after many years of running their times had come) so I really could see them picking it up in conjuction with Virgin Media. Since Virgin Media costs around 30-50 pounds a month, they have a bit of coin too.

Last edited:
Unless they decide to sell to someone like BBC, or quite a few other networks that exist on their own merit quite well with or without USA. You probably have not even heard of most of them. BBC collects 12 pounds a month from each UK household that has a TV, so they have plenty of money to spend as they wish. They call it the UK TV license, I kid you not. We pay it each month.This is on top of any money they make from any other pay channels they offer. So, if the land of Dr. Who, Sherlock and Orphan Black wish to do so, that is completely something they could afford to do. This show still sucks, but USA is not the end all say all, like you all think.

The license is mandatory and if wondering around 190 dollars a year per household, just for the license, which goes to BBC. Then they get any money from their premium offerings too. They have lost of few of their bigger shows lately (after many years of running their times had come) so I really could see them picking it up in conjuction with Virgin Media. Since Virgin Media costs around 30-50 pounds a month, they have a bit of coin too.

That would be interesting if the BBC decided to finance this pig -- but chances are they won't. They've got some serious budgetary issues to deal with as proven by the slew of articles about budget cuts back in 2015. (The shows you mentioned were all affected.) The good thing is, unlike Netflix, the BBC is being more cautious with their money these days. I can't see them paying over $100 million to produce a season of Discovery. It's just not going to happen despite the fact that every household in the UK has to pay a TV tax. The money simply is not there to waste on sub-par projects like this.

Again, not to keep beating the horse but America is the honey pot in this regard, like it or not. That's reality.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I am pretty sure it is costing more than $100,000,000.00 to do this show . No writer in there right mind would write stuff like that without a huge paycheck because they will never get another writing job for the rest of there lives ...
Here's to hoping they never write again ...

;)