Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I know BBCs model well and have posted about it before over the years here. I seriously doubt they want a show getting flamed everywhere whose budget is nearly five times that of any other show the carry. And yes BBC got slammed with budget cuts and is in the middle of a mess now anyway where there is a real movement to repeal the license fee and make them get revenue from advertising. I don’t expect it to happen but the mess is there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah this looks like BSG even the next episode is like BSG. Revolving saucer section :rolleyes:. Oh jumps in this ahahaha, yes you read right, jumping from Battlestar Galactica, so instead of going to warp drive, it now jumps between sections. If you hated BSG, you'll hate this series.

Anyway, the whole mushroom thing is also becoming quite hysterical. Somehow this creature knows coordinates in the entire galaxy and he uses spores to communicate with them and somehow they use that power to 'jump' across galaxies...:rotflmao:

Apparently, they are already in talks for season 2. Seriously? Have Netflix become that blind that they are just throwing good money after bad? Who is watching this garbage and paying money for it? This episode was pretty fucked up too.

I am done with this garbage. It's a ripoff even if you pirate it. Infact, save time and do something else.
https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/8/16444242/star-trek-discovery-season-2-renewal

I dunno heisenberg, that whole article looks like spin to me. 100% hopeful is what Brad Wright was about a Season 3, and even moreso when he asked for an ending. They talk about records signups, but not about retention or the fan vitriol. They say "Fans will get an announcement soon!", but what fans are they talking about? Also, Netflix is not mentioned as being the bankroller anywhere in the article. When you look at it through Vulcan eyes, it's no more than very clever spin. Read it again...carefully. :)

The other stuff about the spores, that is just damned silly. Somebody at Kurtzman's parties is responsible for these deux ex machinas which allow for instant travel from Point A to bazillions of miles away to Point B. First we got Transwarp Beaming, now we have magic spores. Both remove the *journey* (the TREK) from the equation completely. The Dischevelry is only about interpersonal struggle and drama, and we are supposed to experience it through the eyes of a psychopathic woman raised on Vulcan but behaves like some violent thot on the dimly lit streets of Detroit. And the Captain is a sneaky, beady eyed summabitch who has a tribble randomly in his office...oh, and a skeleton too. :shame: :sulkiness: :moody:

I could write hundreds of posts on the complete nonsense which is contained within just the 2.5 episodes I watched! I have seen enough. TNG's first TWO seasons were sorta crappy, but compared to this, well they just don't compare. TNG's Seasons 1 and 2 were at least watchable. This one is not. At least, not to me. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nipple clamps control the warp drive... Shades of Grey or in this case Blue !

View attachment 33561

That? That blue booger in a jar is the best they could do? At least The Orville has a TALKING booger, and he is a hit with the ladies and has a sense of humor. And it actually does have nipple clamps? Seriously? No clamps on arms and legs, just the nips. In the teaser for the upcoming episode up in this thread, I saw the outer saucer section of the Debauchery rotating. Yep. Just like a pizza cutter. WHY would they design a ship to do that unless it was for tourism? Maybe they are headed for the Pizza Planet.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And where do you get these facts from?

Fact: CBS All Access is a paid streaming service for CBS in the United States. The revenue model is subscription based, because this is CBS' attempt at competing with Amazon, Hulu and Netflix (:smiley-laughing021:). Star Trek Discovery was supposed to turn the near-nothing demand for this service into a juggernaut, fueled by new subscriptions from the tens of millions of US Star Trek fans.

Fact: There is no subscription based revenue stream available to CBS in the EU or the UK.

Based upon those two facts (feel free to check them), the primary concern for CBS All Access is broadening the subscription base. Dischevlry is just not cutting it. Sure, there is an audience who will squee for it just like there was for SGU. But that handful will not be anywhere near enough to keep it afloat.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know BBCs model well and have posted about it before over the years here. I seriously doubt they want a show getting flamed everywhere whose budget is nearly five times that of any other show the carry. And yes BBC got slammed with budget cuts and is in the middle of a mess now anyway where there is a real movement to repeal the license fee and make them get revenue from advertising. I don’t expect it to happen but the mess is there.

BBC won't pay for this. I am sure many outlets are being spammed by sales reps from CBS, based upon "record signups" (but no retention numbers), and not having to produce ratings or viewership data. The scam is clever, but it has a very steep and short arc.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope Musk tells them were to go and that he does not need there acknowledgment ...Like anything in STD has to do with space ...
https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/09/elon-musk-gets-a-nod-as-a-space-pioneer-from-star-trek-discovery/

LMAO! It's the next best thing to a photo op, which I doubt Musk would ever do. There is ZEE ROW cred attached to this show. Bryan Fuller's name is in the main credits, but he has nothing to do with this show. His stories got turned into something else, and thrown into the Lensflare Dimension where this show takes place. They want people to associate Elon Musk with this show. I bet they are hoping for a nice Tweet from him. :). Shatner would not vouch for this show, and I don't think Nichelle Nichols would even say a word about it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Where the spin stops is at retail. :) We will see VERY clearly that this show is really not all that popular by the lack of sales of merch for this thing. I mean, do they really think that anyone not 100% fit and slim is going to try and wear one of those uniforms? If they wear them to a real Star Trek convention, they will be laughed at. What about those Klingons? They actually might be a good Halloween mask. But beyond that, would anyone buy a Saru or NuKlingon action figure? Anybody want to build the Discovery scale model? :facepalm:.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Did you guys completely miss the fact that there abusing a creature to get warp drive out of it's arse but instead hook nipple clamps to it !!! Holy $hit !!! WTF , thats the weirdest effen #shit I have ever seen !!! How come you guys are not commenting about that ? It's !@#*in beyond thought !!!WTH is wrong with these writers !!! OMFG ...
There are some mentally ill people running STD

:icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:
I did mention that it was pretty f'd up which is why I threw in the towel. That was the last straw and I don't care what people say but this is worse than watching Defiance.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This episode sucked ass! I just watched it too. Magic Spores that are yes powered by a giant creature ( saw those nipple clamps---just beyond words on that) that looks like it might belong in a Dr. Seuss book who uses it to again, yes, jump through space with WTF a now spinning saucer section. Holy crap. This show is supposed to be 10 years prior to Kirk, no spinning saucers there.. maybe they got rid of them because of how fucking stupid they are. The roommate of Michael's is more annoying each week and the Mr. Death Senser from her old ship was snipping away at her like a jealous baby. I won't mention the four frakin times they filled with beyond nauseating Klingon speak because I have already ranted about that, but boy I think my ears are bleeding now. This was a pure example of really, really, really bad writing.
The whole torture scene was bad enough, but the audio tape was more of a shock factor and was completely wrong and had no relevancy. The intro alone is hilarious with the starfleet uniform being 3d printed by using sparks technology or nanotechnology. What bullshit gimmick are you trying to pull here?

Then, you kill off another main character in an instance as if their lives did not mean anything. The captain had zero empathy. He has NO human emotions nor does anyone on board. There does not appear to be a memorial in this ship or someone giving a eulogy when someone passes away. At least with previous star trek, and stargate they actually gave a nice character farewell, this shit treats its characters as if they are dispensable.

Then we had the Klingons talking like they had sandwich on their mouths had no relevancy to the storyline. Then you have a dumbass captain trying to be a 'badass' by taking extensive damage to a ship that nearly blows up and risks the lives on everyone on board, and tries to send a message to the Klingons. Yeah, as if that's going to do anything good other than to piss them off even more.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I dunno heisenberg, that whole article looks like spin to me. 100% hopeful is what Brad Wright was about a Season 3, and even moreso when he asked for an ending. They talk about records signups, but not about retention or the fan vitriol. They say "Fans will get an announcement soon!", but what fans are they talking about? Also, Netflix is not mentioned as being the bankroller anywhere in the article. When you look at it through Vulcan eyes, it's no more than very clever spin. Read it again...carefully. :)

The other stuff about the spores, that is just damned silly. Somebody at Kurtzman's parties is responsible for these deux ex machinas which allow for instant travel from Point A to bazillions of miles away to Point B. First we got Transwarp Beaming, now we have magic spores. Both remove the *journey* (the TREK) from the equation completely. The Dischevelry is only about interpersonal struggle and drama, and we are supposed to experience it through the eyes of a psychopathic woman raised on Vulcan but behaves like some violent thot on the dimly lit streets of Detroit. And the Captain is a sneaky, beady eyed summabitch who has a tribble randomly in his office...oh, and a skeleton too. :shame: :sulkiness: :moody:

I could write hundreds of posts on the complete nonsense which is contained within just the 2.5 episodes I watched! I have seen enough. TNG's first TWO seasons were sorta crappy, but compared to this, well they just don't compare. TNG's Seasons 1 and 2 were at least watchable. This one is not. At least, not to me. :)

I want this series cancelled or rapidly changed because this is utter garbage. This show is so hollow in so many levels. The characters are wooden lack any empathy. They all have a very BSG look which puts any human being off who does not laugh or a giggle or smile even. In this, either everyone gives a sarcastic smile or is just looks serious as if they all suffer from severe insomnia. At least with TNG season 1 and 2, despite having bad writing, it still had likeable character like Data and Riker. This! This piece of crap has characters just want to hate them and not like them at all. They get on your nerves and are a pest.
The defenders of Discovery, I am not hating on you for liking it, it's your choice, but, I am trying to really keep an open mind about this show and trying to finding something to like about but there isn't much to go by other than Saru who is the only one that I can tolerate but all the other characters are extremely hollow. I did try to view it objectively, but this is just atrocious writing by far the most utter bullshit I have ever seen. This makes the Core look like a masterpiece.

F4nVcZx.jpg

This is how the uniforms are made :rotflmao:

IuVRRCn.jpg

mjnVcj2.jpg

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The Netflix trend of wasting tons of money has to end eventually. It's simply unsustainable. The company is billions of dollars in debt and is betting on future earnings to fix that. But shows like Discovery are going to make getting out of the red nearly impossible.
Not if the audience doesn't change who demand rubbish like this(NSFW warning)

Where the spin stops is at retail. :) We will see VERY clearly that this show is really not all that popular by the lack of sales of merch for this thing. I mean, do they really think that anyone not 100% fit and slim is going to try and wear one of those uniforms? If they wear them to a real Star Trek convention, they will be laughed at. What about those Klingons? They actually might be a good Halloween mask. But beyond that, would anyone buy a Saru or NuKlingon action figure? Anybody want to build the Discovery scale model? :facepalm:.

If you wore this mask to a party most people wouldn't even recognize it as Klingon. They would just think you were offensively racist and they would ostracize you from the festivities. You would find yourself sitting alone in a corner, crying into your warm cup of beer and cursing the fact that you stupidly were a fan of Star Trek: Discovery.

star-trek-discovery-trailer-klingon-750x480.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
All I see here is people grabbing "facts" out of thin air and combining them into strongly opinionated yet declared as irrefutable certainties which don't even need close inspection to be ousted as in actuality having no solid foundation in reality.

Yawn. I'll be ignoring this thread from now on.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
If you wore this mask to a party most people wouldn't even recognize it as Klingon. They would just think you were offensively racist and they would ostracize you from the festivities. You would find yourself sitting alone in a corner, crying into your warm cup of beer and cursing the fact that you stupidly were a fan of Star Trek: Discovery.

star-trek-discovery-trailer-klingon-750x480.jpg
Agreed! This show is very racist

All I see here is people grabbing "facts" out of thin air and combining them into strongly opinionated yet declared as irrefutable certainties which don't even need close inspection to be ousted as in actuality having no solid foundation in reality.

Yawn. I'll be ignoring this thread from now on.

picardwave.gif

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lord Ba'al, I like and respect you and we've been here on this forum a while. You know me and that while my posts can be a bit dry (:D) I don't pull numbers out of thin air.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hey just so you know ,,, I packed the telescope for her when she was in the brig . Yup ... I was walking my dog down by the set where they shoot the show amd meandered in and saw the ole telesope sitting there and thought it wud be nice to help out the crew who were too busy torturing alien creatures and setting up the death scene of another tick on the wall for Michael killing everyone she meets .
Yup . Just stuck in that factory fitting case . Had no idea they were gonna use it again ... In fact no one knew that I even placed it there . They were to busy patting each other on the back for another Oscar worthy performance from all involved , especially the writers .
Next episode you will see myself walking my dog in the background inside the bridge set holding the telescope which they won't edit out . Strange odour on this set . I swear it smells like death coming ...
;)