Star Trek Beyond: FIRST TRAILER

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Simon Pegg holding it back

More than a few involved are concerned that they may have fracked up on this. I think the senses of the fans are right on point as far as what to expect in this new flick. And I am not buying that Pegg is just "going along with it" but is an actual Star Trek fan. His line in the film about the music Kirk was playing (the Beastie Boys) being a "good choice" already puts him on a shitlist. He is one of the writers! I am disappointed that they have decided to make Scotty a comedic character instead of a brilliant engineer. :( And Dr McCoy from Urban is right on point, but Dr McCoy spends more time standing around and tossing one-liners than being a doctor. And I do not even want to discuss Spock and Uhura or Sulu and Checkov :facepalm:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi!

I have to admit the trailer left me cold as well. That said, it is just a trailer and a short one at that so who knows?

And that said, the trailer debate does show that the braintrust behind this film are extraordinarily tone deaf. Really, they knew full well how poorly Into Darkness was ultimately received (JJ and Lindelof apologizing for it was a pretty sure sign). So the LAST thing they should have done was create a trailer that is just a montage of action shots. They should have made one that showed a "Trek" tone and feel to it. Which goes to whether they can make such a trailer.

If they can but did not then they are tone deaf. If they can't (because the film lacks such material) then the whole group learned nothing from the Into Darkness fiasco. I hope for the former but am suspicious that it is the latter.

On a different note....HAPPY NEW YEAR! Let's remember we're all fans here (after all it is GateFans) and enjoy our common interests!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Ugh...must you? :) Scotty in NuTrek is a comedic character. Scotty in TOS was funny and had a great sense of humor but he was not comedic relief. Did you really grab at lines of dialogue without considering the persona and accomplishments of Master Engineer Montgomery Scott? In NuTrek, Checkov has shown more technological ingenuity than Scotty has. Transwarp beaming does not count because Spock Prime gave him the formula.

the new Scott is just freaking creepy-him and his alien butt buddy.

and why-when Scotty resigned-would Kirk put Checkov-who didn't know much according to what one of the characters said-in charge of engineering instead of say, one of about 20 other red shirts in engineering? Surely they know more about the place then Checkov? Are we to believe that the entire engineering crew is helpless with Scotty?

just more bad writing

and yes, the old Scotty was funny, but it did have its place. Another point of why nutrek is so bad-it pulls all the funny one liners and irritating stuff out of TOS and builds on it TOO much. NuTrek leaves behind the good-the science and thoughtful interpersonal. That is to say, what many filmgoers today-non Trek fans, would call boring

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Some comedic relief is needed...the Star Trek Into Darkness gag reel. Worth watching! I liked it better than the actual film.:daniel_new_anime021:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
did an autopsy

where the thread began to go bonkers

post number 45

gf76 said:
Seems I must as you keep digging a deeper hole.

I am pointing out that Scotty was used as a comedic foil sometimes, nothing else.
I am pointing out that your -opinion- means as much as anyone elses. I don't give a TOSS if you watched TOS a few years before me, there are X amount of TV/movie hours of Trek, and just like you, I have watched nearly all of them (the cartoon never got here, sorry boss). You do not have some mystical understanding beyond mine that makes your understanding "more true", neither do I.
What you are stating is -opinion-, and so am I.

He's a fracking CHARACTER, jeezus man :lol:

Ahh, I see we are at stage 1 again

om1 said:
No, YOU are at stage one. Not again, you never left it. :) I could watch a Japanese poet reciting a poem in Japanese 100 times and still be clueless about the poem because I don't speak Japanese. All I hear would be basically babble. Does that mean that the poem in meaningless? Of course not. And without a basic understanding of Japanese and what the poem is about, I cannot even think about commenting on it's artistry or message. You are there with Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay....

First of all, threads do not get "killed" here at GateFans, EVER. :) But we can strip the off-topic posts and move them into a new thread or existing thread. I vote for moving the off-topic threads into the Star Wars vs Star Trek thread.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I second the motion - it helps avoid other threads getting flooded.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Okay....

First of all, threads do not get "killed" here at GateFans, EVER. :) But we can strip the off-topic posts and move them into a new thread or existing thread. I vote for moving the off-topic threads into the Star Wars vs Star Trek thread.

i could "kill" the thread right now

i have the power--muhahahahahahah!!!!! :icon_twisted: :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
fan edit trailer

Amazing how music and editing can completely change a video clip. Still, even if that one had come out from Paramount, it would have raised some eyebrows but I also think it would have not hurt opening night like the actual trailer will. Most every Trek fan I know says they will NOT be seeing it on opening night, and possibly not in the theater at all. Count me in that. I will download it.

The problem with the Trailer, and particularly Simon Pegg, is that they INTENDED to make this movie "fun and less Trekky". That was the point. The scenes in it and the fact that the Beastie Boys gets prominently played in the actual movie, along with the dumb motorcycle and showing the Enterprise being destroyed is really dumb.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Amazing how music and editing can completely change a video clip. Still, even if that one had come out from Paramount, it would have raised some eyebrows but I also think it would have not hurt opening night like the actual trailer will. Most every Trek fan I know says they will NOT be seeing it on opening night, and possibly not in the theater at all. Count me in that. I will download it.

The problem with the Trailer, and particularly Simon Pegg, is that they INTENDED to make this movie "fun and less Trekky". That was the point. The scenes in it and the fact that the Beastie Boys gets prominently played in the actual movie, along with the dumb motorcycle and showing the Enterprise being destroyed is really dumb.

You mean pirate it? Why download it when you have no interest in it?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You mean pirate it? Why download it when you have no interest in it?

Yes, I mean pirate it. I did not say I had no interest in it, I said I would hate it. I have to have interest in something before I can hate it. :) It's the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and it will go in my collection like every other Star Trek thing out there. I have a separate folder named "NuTrek" inside my Star Trek folder where all the series, movies and video clips and fan stuff I already have go.

My rebellion against it means I do not spend a dime on it in a theater or buy/rent it in any form costing money. Same will go for the series coming out next year.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yes, I mean pirate it. I did not say I had no interest in it, I said I would hate it. I have to have interest in something before I can hate it. :) It's the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and it will go in my collection like every other Star Trek thing out there. I have a separate folder named "NuTrek" inside my Star Trek folder where all the series, movies and video clips and fan stuff I already have go.

My rebellion against it means I do not spend a dime on it in a theater or buy/rent it in any form costing money. Same will go for the series coming out next year.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am very frustrated that the DUMB POLL was added to this thread. There is no way to remove the poll and the choices on it have been made irrelevant because a new thread was created to address the issue. :( Now, we are stuck with a stupid poll at the top of the thread that has no relevance.

I have to find a way to remove it. Perhaps my moving all the comments to a new thread? PLEASE, do not add polls to threads without thinking first.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan - make a new thread with no poll and move the posts to it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan - make a new thread with no poll and move the posts to it.

Done. I had to create the thread, them move them over to eliminate the poll. I have also posted a message addressing polls. No harm done! Xenforo does not have the ability to remove polls once created, unless they ser set to expire in a set number of days (not the default setting, unfortunately). Polls should be set like this:

Selection_010.gif

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I am very frustrated that the DUMB POLL was added to this thread. There is no way to remove the poll and the choices on it have been made irrelevant because a new thread was created to address the issue. :( Now, we are stuck with a stupid poll at the top of the thread that has no relevance.

I have to find a way to remove it. Perhaps my moving all the comments to a new thread? PLEASE, do not add polls to threads without thinking first.

I'll fix it with the good ole "kill switch"

hey-you guys derailed the thread off the topic I originally posted-which was- the trailer

all of the SW vs ST silliness prompted my "dumb poll" out of my frustration with everyone's "dumb, 5th grade comparisons" between trek and SW's.

now-I could see if you were comparing the trailer for trek and the trailer for sw ep 7--but you were not....

so,countdown to extinction commencing---10,9,8... :icon_lol: