Star Trek Beyond: FIRST TRAILER

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Since da last movie was a Khan remake of sorts, will da next movie be a Voyage Home of sorts since da ship is all blowed up and everytang?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Quality of comments overrides number of comments. YouTube is infamous for its spammers and people with multiple accounts sockpuppeting. That is why an increasing number of the videos there turn comments off.

I used Trekmovie because alas Trekweb is defunct. Let's find some more Trek fan sites because that is where the reaction will be more accurate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Quality of comments overrides number of comments. YouTube is infamous for its spammers and people with multiple accounts sockpuppeting. That is why an increasing number of the videos there turn comments off.

For you it does. Fine. :) Funny you should feel that way when the quality of Trek overrides the need to make money on these decidedly non-Trek films. On that note, it remains a fact that Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009 are still considered to be the worst Star Trek films released to date. After you posted your last comment, I went to trekweb and posted a single sentence: "I did not like what I saw in the trailer.". It did not get published. Filtered media is not visceral. The argument made most by NuTrek lovers is the fact that these new movies have made millions more in sales than previous Star Trek films. If that is the goal, then they have succeeded. But if they think they have improved Star Trek by dumbing it down and turning it into an action franchise, they failed miserably.

I used Trekmovie because alas Trekweb is defunct. Let's find some more Trek fan sites because that is where the reaction will be more accurate.

Trek BBS is a good one, but the old timers have left because the vBulletin version is difficult to navigate. Still, I think YouTube is a great source of commentary. I am more interested in the comments than counting how many there are or looking at who they are from. A comment like "This sucks!" or "It looks GREAT!" is not much use. I read the long comments and pay attention to the content. In the case of Trek, I will not be swayed by the comments of others because I already have first hand expertise in all things Trek (from a fan viewpoint).

Still, I can only offer an opinion and I am neither right or wrong. :) I hate the rebooted Trek and the Abramsverse. BTW, did you notice that Spock now bleeds red blood? They could not even get that right. Goes to show (again) that the producers have thrown Star Trek out the window and created an entirely different thing named Star Trek.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
EVERY original-based trek movie and series had thought in the scripts and plot and they provoked thought and "what if" questions. Even ENTERPRISE, though it is at the bottom of that list.

This new stuff is what the kiddies want though--they do not want to come out of a movie or after a tv show and be 'provoked to think' about what they saw. Despite their "generations'" claim to be thoughtful-posting "thoughts" at 140 characters or less is something throwback in its limitations and the only requirement for thought being 'low brow'. Like wise, taking to the streets of cities and campus' is also NOT thoughtful and it is only reverting to tribal instincts

YUP!!! They are GOING TO LOVE this movie!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
For you it does. Fine. :) Funny you should feel that way when the quality of Trek overrides the need to make money on these decidedly non-Trek films. On that note, it remains a fact that Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009 are still considered to be the worst Star Trek films released to date. After you posted your last comment, I went to trekweb and posted a single sentence: "I did not like what I saw in the trailer.". It did not get published. Filtered media is not visceral. The argument made most by NuTrek lovers is the fact that these new movies have made millions more in sales than previous Star Trek films. If that is the goal, then they have succeeded. But if they think they have improved Star Trek by dumbing it down and turning it into an action franchise, they failed miserably.

Trek BBS is a good one, but the old timers have left because the vBulletin version is difficult to navigate. Still, I think YouTube is a great source of commentary. I am more interested in the comments than counting how many there are or looking at who they are from. A comment like "This sucks!" or "It looks GREAT!" is not much use. I read the long comments and pay attention to the content. In the case of Trek, I will not be swayed by the comments of others because I already have first hand expertise in all things Trek (from a fan viewpoint).

Still, I can only offer an opinion and I am neither right or wrong. :) I hate the rebooted Trek and the Abramsverse. BTW, did you notice that Spock now bleeds red blood? They could not even get that right. Goes to show (again) that the producers have thrown Star Trek out the window and created an entirely different thing named Star Trek.

Check later. Their comments sections all say they moderate so if your comment does not immediately appear all that means is that the moderators haven't yet approved the comment. And seeing as some of the comments are really scathing I don't think they would filter you.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BwahaHAHAHA! This had me rolling!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Justin Lin responds to the mass criticism he is getting for the Star Trek Beyond trailer/film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-beyond-criticisms/

ZZ6A226A00-700x290.jpg

Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin explained the idea behind the first teaser trailer:

Well, its a minute and a half, you know… And again, there were other versions that were much more traditional and I can see where maybe the hardcore fans could probably see that as, “Oh.” But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half, and the one thing I wanted to make sure is that it hopefully represents that we are trying to be bold and take risks, whether we are successful or not, I don’t know. That was something I was excited to do and with collaborators like Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung], passion for the franchise will be there regardless. So however it’s presented, yeah it’s a minute and a half, and my challenge to everyone making the trailer is about saying “let’s not go off course, I’m not afraid to share — share it, I feel like we have the goods in a two-hour run and you really do get to know the characters and hopefully the journey is great. I love it and the cast did an amazing job and the crew… and the inside baseball version of the creation of this Trek was pretty condensed in how you usually make a movie of this size. And I wanted us to be bold, I wanted us to take chances and hopefully in a minute and a half we are able to convey that.

As for those fans who think Lin might have made a Fast & Furious movie set in the Trek universe, Lin understands where the criticism is coming from:

Yeah, and I don’t know if that’s the case here. When I saw the teaser, I’m like, aw shit. You really have to put the motorcycle in there? So I get it, I get it, I get it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Justin Lin responds to the mass criticism he is getting for the Star Trek Beyond trailer/film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-beyond-criticisms/

View attachment 32274

Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin explained the idea behind the first teaser trailer:

Well, its a minute and a half, you know… And again, there were other versions that were much more traditional and I can see where maybe the hardcore fans could probably see that as, “Oh.” But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half, and the one thing I wanted to make sure is that it hopefully represents that we are trying to be bold and take risks, whether we are successful or not, I don’t know. That was something I was excited to do and with collaborators like Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung], passion for the franchise will be there regardless. So however it’s presented, yeah it’s a minute and a half, and my challenge to everyone making the trailer is about saying “let’s not go off course, I’m not afraid to share — share it, I feel like we have the goods in a two-hour run and you really do get to know the characters and hopefully the journey is great. I love it and the cast did an amazing job and the crew… and the inside baseball version of the creation of this Trek was pretty condensed in how you usually make a movie of this size. And I wanted us to be bold, I wanted us to take chances and hopefully in a minute and a half we are able to convey that.

As for those fans who think Lin might have made a Fast & Furious movie set in the Trek universe, Lin understands where the criticism is coming from:

Yeah, and I don’t know if that’s the case here. When I saw the teaser, I’m like, aw shit. You really have to put the motorcycle in there? So I get it, I get it, I get it.
He's just trying to doge a bullet...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

And it made sense for him to have them in that movie! :) It was definitely a "throw in" to have that chase scene, but it was a cool scene and the end of the scene was memorable with the Argo leaping into the cargo hold of that Captain's Yacht. The dirtbike thing just doesn't fit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He's just trying to doge a bullet...

If you read that article (it's long), you read that this production crew sees the Beastie Boys tune "Sabotage" as being part of Kirk's DNA in this reboot. :facepalm:. Instead of aggressive and perpetually horny, this Kirk is whiney and takes unnecessary risks which he lucks out of. TOS Kirk never liked the no-win scenario, and though both Kirks rigged the test, this Kirk does not plan much of anything, he just gets out of stuff.

To expect anything remotely resembling anything like pre-Abrams Star Trek in style or content from Justin Lin is unfair to him and unlikely. Justin Lin does AWESOME action films. He knows how to crash and blow up stuff with dramatic effect and elicit oohs and ahhs. But Star Trek? I Wonder how J.K. Rowling would have done Trek?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I do not recall them playing any BB in Into Dumbness.
It is played in his apartment in I.D.
That music should never have been in the 2009 movie either. Playing on a Nokia car stereo in a car which should not be on any road in the 23rd century. No money and no corporations, no Nokia.
TOS had money, they even understood money.
Nokia is a load of clap trap, sure.
This trailer makes the movie look so bad that some of the new fans/drones are wanting JJ back at the helm!
Eh, it is not your trek, nor my trek, it is NU trek. I don't think it pretends to be deep and meaningful, just an action flick.
Does that annoy me as a trek fan, sure.
Does my annoyance matter?
Nope.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And it made sense for him to have them in that movie! :) It was definitely a "throw in" to have that chase scene, but it was a cool scene and the end of the scene was memorable with the Argo leaping into the cargo hold of that Captain's Yacht. The dirtbike thing just doesn't fit.
But we can only say that -because- we have all seen Nemisis. If you saw Picard in a Halo off-roader (complete with mini-gun) in -just- the trailer, you would be poo-pooing it more.
It's a trailer, it's made to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get bums on seats, and exiting chase scenes do the job.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Or try to appease over exited fuckwits?
We are not "over excited fuckwits". This movie isn't Star Trek. Period and FYI, this isn't a "teaser" but a full trailer about the film which should show the audience what they can expect from the film. I am sorry, but this trailer shows that it is fast and furious and this guy is just saying these things for PR reasons.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It is played in his apartment in I.D.

I stand corrected on Beastie Boys in Into Darkness. He was playing it in his cabin. That is actually worse, IMO. The Beastie Boys does not qualify as Star Trek soundtrack material, even if a few people today still like them. Sweet deal to have those songs in these movies, they will make a ton.

TOS had money, they even understood money.
Nokia is a load of clap trap, sure.

The Nokia thing cannot be dismissed or explained away. It was product placement, pure and simple. And in a universe/time when there are no corporations, and thus no Nokia is possible. And how is it that Kirk knew how to drive that car as a kid, when cars were not common or even used (see "Piece of the Action" TOS S2E17). Kirk could not drive as an adult. And TOS did NOT have money, even if they understood it...which of course they did since it is part of human history. Part of the appeal of the Trek future was the elimination of poverty, which necessarily means the elimination of money and capitalism.

Eh, it is not your trek, nor my trek, it is NU trek. I don't think it pretends to be deep and meaningful, just an action flick.
Does that annoy me as a trek fan, sure.
Does my annoyance matter?
Nope.

It's not Trek, period. There is no such thing as "new Trek" except in the minds of the writer/prodicer/director hacks who think their new action franchise is Star Trek. NuTrek is meant as a disparaging label distinguishing fake Trek (Abrams) with actual Trek (everything not Abrams, including the cartoon). Does it matter? I think it does, because the NuTrek franchise is already seeing diminishing returns. And there is the long term legs that this NuTrek lacks. The Trek fandom that made it possible for Star Trek to still be a "thing" in 2009 have largely dumped this thing created by Abrams et al, which means that the conventions and fan events are not including NuTrek in the mix. Fans coming to conventions as Spock are not coming as Quinto's Spock, and those few who go as Kirk are not going as Pine's Kirk. No fan productions are including the NuTrek events as being part of Trek canon.

I agree with heisenberg, and the "over excited fuckwits" are the NuTrek eaters whose intellectual bar is at curb level. Justin Lin was the wrong choice for this film, as was Abrams and all the people associated with this NuTrek thing.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
star trek: beyond boring? beyond stupid? beyond moronic? sounds like there is a whole universe they can explore--- universe??? sgpoo! aaaaaaarrrghhhh it got me! :replicatoranime01::replicatoranime01::replicatoranime01::replicatoranime01: