Spaghetti and meatballs... which are the best recipes?

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thats where Im at...eating about six smaller meals during the day, and I also carry the small bag of nuts that Bluce suggested! I carry a larger bag of salted peanuts in the shell that I can snack on when I go to the park. I can also hand feed them to squirrels. :). I sometimes also make a "snack pack" of cheese, pepperoni and/or cooked sausage. Skipping lunch only makes for a hungrier man at the next meal. And yes, I do cheat about a day a week (usually Friday).

Thats not cheating :P
Many years ago a very wise man said to me "do everything in moderation, only get shitfaced once a week" :D
At the time I was too stupid to realise just exactly what he was saying, these days however (some 17 years later) I realise that he was not actually talking about getting pissed, but was commenting on life in general. (no it did not take me all that time to understand him :P)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thats not cheating :P
Many years ago a very wise man said to me "do everything in moderation, only get shitfaced once a week" :D
At the time I was too stupid to realise just exactly what he was saying, these days however (some 17 years later) I realise that he was not actually talking about getting pissed, but was commenting on life in general. (no it did not take me all that time to understand him :P)

I think that was Aristotle who gave you the sage advice. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Grazing all day isn't a bad thing depending on what you're grazing. Instead of a bag of Doritos, carry around a bag of nuts. Even with sufficient total calories overall, I don't see how eating twice a day can be good.

I spent 4 weeks lying in bed last month with bronchitis. During that time, I was eating maybe twice or three times a day. Some days I ate a lot some days I ate a little. The net result was me losing about 10 lbs and a whole lot of strength. Now that I'm back on my feet, it hasn't been easy putting back the lost 10 lbs and regaining strength but it all started coming back together when I adjusted my eating habits to where they were.

Eating habits are acquired and, once you're used to eating a certain way, you don't really obsess about what you eat or how often you eat. When I started this years ago, I was using an Excel spreadsheet that listed various foods I ate with nutrients and quantities. I learned to keep tabs on what I eat and how much I am eating. Eventually, I didn't need it anymore but it was a great tool for me when I started bodybuilding.

Having said all that, I am now eating the last quarter of the tray of lasagna I made two days ago. Yeah, I like to cheat once in a while, so, bite me. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: I knew you were going to counter my argument here but also knew I didn't have much time this week to delve into a defense of it nor am I gung ho to try and change minds here, so please don't think I'm zealous on this point. I'm just talking about what has been working for me.

As for IF, I didn't mean to imply that one could build increase muscle on an IF diet. I started to say that but then realized that was erroneous or if it wasn't and was actually true it would require me to do some serious research and I'd probably only come up with some anecdotal evidence anyway. Besides, like I said, I'm not a freak about IF and don't think it worth the effort to try and prove a pointless point.

Right before this thread I was reading up on some blogs about how one can maintain muscle on an IF diet but now, of course, I don't have those links handy, go figure. Not really a freak enough about it to hunt them down either. I just thought it was an interesting take on things and like I said for me I haven't noticed any lost of muscle or strength. Of course since we're talking about what amounts to a diet of caloric restriction that does raise eyebrows. Like I said earlier though for me it's more about eating clean and getting my eating habits more disciplined. Ironically I now feel less disciplined when it comes to my meals, so it's a mental thing too.

As for my weekly caloric intake, I honestly don't think it's been lowered too much. I just cut out a lot of sugar and bread, that's it really. I filled the gap with protein in the form of good quality meat. Oh, and I didn't consciously cut fruit out of my diet but I did find that I have less interest in consuming it. It can taste too sugary to me. I haven't cut it out entirely and I'm not consciously avoiding it, but I just have found less desire to eat it. Maybe it's the fructose that bugs me, I dunno.

At any rate, I'll try to find some links for you to peruse all about IF and/or counter arguments to "6 small meals a day". Not trying to change your mind here or anything, but it would be interesting to get your take on those arguments.

Oh, and right now I'm drinking a shake made with whey protein isolate, raw almonds and a mini-banana. Rough estimate is 600 calories. ;)

(P.S. Do you ever take liver tabs? I've got a big tub of Beverly Dessicated Liver tabs and also one of Universal Beef Aminos and I pop a few with breakfast sometimes.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thats where Im at...eating about six smaller meals during the day, and I also carry the small bag of nuts that Bluce suggested! I carry a larger bag of salted peanuts in the shell that I can snack on when I go to the park. I can also hand feed them to squirrels. :). I sometimes also make a "snack pack" of cheese, pepperoni and/or cooked sausage. Skipping lunch only makes for a hungrier man at the next meal. And yes, I do cheat about a day a week (usually Friday).

Heresy! Salted peanuts are the Devil! Squirrel killer!:tealcanime23::icon_lol:

I like raw almonds. Walgreens has had Blue Diamond raw almonds in the can on sale lately so I stocked up. Otherwise I'll buy a bag of them at Farm and Fleet. Sometimes I'll do walnuts or maybe pecans but almonds are usually at the top of the list.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Heresy! Salted peanuts are the Devil! Squirrel killer!:tealcanime23::icon_lol:

I like raw almonds. Walgreens has had Blue Diamond raw almonds in the can on sale lately so I stocked up. Otherwise I'll buy a bag of them at Farm and Fleet. Sometimes I'll do walnuts or maybe pecans but almonds are usually at the top of the list.

we like trader joe's unsalted and low salted nuts and nut mixes. not very expensive and are healthy. :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sometimes I envy u Americans for having such a wide choice, like nuts for example.

You mean the UK doesn't offer a plethora of choices in the supermarket? :confused:

Tropicana

Council Member
We do to a certain extent. We have 3 or 5 alternatives, whereas in the states, u have aisles after aisles of the same item like sauces - by different brands or feature different flavours.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
We do to a certain extent. We have 3 or 5 alternatives, whereas in the states, u have aisles after aisles of the same item like sauces - by different brands or feature different flavours.

Yeah, that's not all it's cut out to be. :icon_lol:

For every one good brand you have to sift through a dozen bad ones. Tuna, for example. The only decent tasting supermarket tuna I've found here is Cento, which is the closest thing I could find here to Rio Mare brand tuna. Everything else I've tried tastes like crap and/or has a vomit-like texture. :(

Bluce Ree

:icon_lol: I knew you were going to counter my argument here but also knew I didn't have much time this week to delve into a defense of it nor am I gung ho to try and change minds here, so please don't think I'm zealous on this point. I'm just talking about what has been working for me.

As for IF, I didn't mean to imply that one could build increase muscle on an IF diet. I started to say that but then realized that was erroneous or if it wasn't and was actually true it would require me to do some serious research and I'd probably only come up with some anecdotal evidence anyway. Besides, like I said, I'm not a freak about IF and don't think it worth the effort to try and prove a pointless point.

Right before this thread I was reading up on some blogs about how one can maintain muscle on an IF diet but now, of course, I don't have those links handy, go figure. Not really a freak enough about it to hunt them down either. I just thought it was an interesting take on things and like I said for me I haven't noticed any lost of muscle or strength. Of course since we're talking about what amounts to a diet of caloric restriction that does raise eyebrows. Like I said earlier though for me it's more about eating clean and getting my eating habits more disciplined. Ironically I now feel less disciplined when it comes to my meals, so it's a mental thing too.

As for my weekly caloric intake, I honestly don't think it's been lowered too much. I just cut out a lot of sugar and bread, that's it really. I filled the gap with protein in the form of good quality meat. Oh, and I didn't consciously cut fruit out of my diet but I did find that I have less interest in consuming it. It can taste too sugary to me. I haven't cut it out entirely and I'm not consciously avoiding it, but I just have found less desire to eat it. Maybe it's the fructose that bugs me, I dunno.

At any rate, I'll try to find some links for you to peruse all about IF and/or counter arguments to "6 small meals a day". Not trying to change your mind here or anything, but it would be interesting to get your take on those arguments.

Oh, and right now I'm drinking a shake made with whey protein isolate, raw almonds and a mini-banana. Rough estimate is 600 calories. ;)

(P.S. Do you ever take liver tabs? I've got a big tub of Beverly Dessicated Liver tabs and also one of Universal Beef Aminos and I pop a few with breakfast sometimes.)

No worries, bro. I enjoy engaging in these discussions for the differences of opinion and sharing of information, not so much to change minds. I'm not as closed minded when it comes to dieting. I know what's worked for me but I won't necessarily discount anything not fitting into my neat little box if I haven't tried it or, at least, researched it.

As I'm writing this, I'm enjoying a can of olive oil packed tuna with a dash of lemon juice before I leave for the gym but that shake you're having sounds appealing and 600 calories is a perfect meal. Did you grind up the almonds in the blender with the rest of the shake?

I don't take any liver tabs. I do take aminos but I get BCAA (branched chain amino acids) in liquid form. The rest of my amino supplementation comes from whey protein.

Oh, I just found out Labrada's meal replacement shakes now come in a tub! My last meal of the day is usually a meal replacement shake rather than a straight up protein shake. Mmmmmmmmmm ... chocolate ice cream flavor.

Speaking of sweet, I had run out of almond milk yesterday so I decided to have a glass of the milk I had in the fridge for cooking. I've been off milk so long that I could actually taste the sugar in it! It wasn't really unpleasant. :icon_lol: I didn't think I could completely lose the taste for moo-cow milk.

Tropicana

Council Member
Yeah, that's not all it's cut out to be. :icon_lol:

For every one good brand you have to sift through a dozen bad ones. Tuna, for example. The only decent tasting supermarket tuna I've found here is Cento, which is the closest thing I could find here to Rio Mare brand tuna. Everything else I've tried tastes like crap and/or has a vomit-like texture. :(
But you have the option which helps drive down prices. Hence why I envy you guys sometimes. :)

Bluce Ree

But you have the option which helps drive down prices. Hence why I envy you guys sometimes. :)

You know, the quality stuff is still expensive because they know they're good. Starkist tuna (bleh!) would cost me under a dollar a can. Cento tuna costs me around $4 a can but so worth it, IMO.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No worries, bro. I enjoy engaging in these discussions for the differences of opinion and sharing of information, not so much to change minds. I'm not as closed minded when it comes to dieting. I know what's worked for me but I won't necessarily discount anything not fitting into my neat little box if I haven't tried it or, at least, researched it.

As I'm writing this, I'm enjoying a can of olive oil packed tuna with a dash of lemon juice before I leave for the gym but that shake you're having sounds appealing and 600 calories is a perfect meal. Did you grind up the almonds in the blender with the rest of the shake?

I don't take any liver tabs. I do take aminos but I get BCAA (branched chain amino acids) in liquid form. The rest of my amino supplementation comes from whey protein.

Oh, I just found out Labrada's meal replacement shakes now come in a tub! My last meal of the day is usually a meal replacement shake rather than a straight up protein shake. Mmmmmmmmmm ... chocolate ice cream flavor.

Speaking of sweet, I had run out of almond milk yesterday so I decided to have a glass of the milk I had in the fridge for cooking. I've been off milk so long that I could actually taste the sugar in it! It wasn't really unpleasant. :icon_lol: I didn't think I could completely lose the taste for moo-cow milk.

Oooohhhh! OM1 is gonna have something to say about your milk drinking! Go get him OM1! :icon_lol:

Yeah, I just toss some almonds right into the blender when I make the shake. I blend it up as good as I can although it does have some grainy texture to it. Such things don't bother me though.

And I do the same thing with tuna as you do although I usually get it in water and then add some good quality olive oil and a grind of black pepper and eat it that way. It's really good! I'll have to look for Cento brand though as lately I'm not loving the stuff I've bought. Bumble Bee tuna is the absolute worst! It seems every can I open is this white, gelatinous mush. It's disgusting! I've actually complained to the company about how lousy it is and how "chunk" isn't chunk at all, it's tuna paste. They sent me a coupon for some free Bumble Bee tuna, go figure. :roll:

Oh, I've just found a site for protein that is pretty good. They do mostly bulk powders but have tons of options. You can get single aminos or whey protein or egg protein or egg white protein or meal replacement mixes, etc. Even with shipping I found the price for bulk beat what I would pay at the store by quite a lot. I only tried out some L-tyrosine so far but I'm happy with the product and the service so I'm making up a bigger order right now. You should check them out. Unfortunately I don't see a search function on the site and finding all the great stuff they offer takes a few minutes, but it's worth it. You can even customize your own mix. How cool is that? :)

http://www.trueprotein.com/Default.aspx

Bluce Ree

Any more recipes for Stone on this recipes thread? :confused:

Oh, yeah. Ok.

- two cans tomato puree
- one small can tomato paste
- fresh garlic
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
- basil
- marjoram
- salt
- pepper
- sugar

Chop up 4 cloves of garlic into very small, fine pieces then saute them on high for a minute or two in the pot with olive oil. Then, pour in the two cans of tomato puree and put in the small can of tomato paste. Add a tbsp of thyme, basil, and marjoram. Add a few pinches of salt, few dashes of pepper, one tbsp of sugar to cut the acidity.

Keep stirring the sauce with a wooden spoon on high and add more olive oil for flavor (an ounce or two). Keep stirring for about 5-7 minutes then reduce the stove to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring.

I'm not so good at actual quantities when it comes to ingredients as I do them purely by hand but they should be close. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Any more recipes for Stone on this recipes thread? :confused:

Yes, here's my "Lickity Split Turkey in a Hurry" recipe:

-- 1 quart bourbon
-- 1 frozen turkey 7 to 125 Lbs
-----------------------------------

Measure out 2 cups of bourbon, set aside while you prepare turkey.

Unwrap frozen turkey, place in roasting pan large enough to hold it. Place in oven and roast at 3000 degrees for 15 minutes. Hurriedly quaff the 2 cups of bourbon while the turkey is roasting. Repeat as necessary until guests arrive and/or guests become annoying.

Enjoy! :)

Bluce Ree

Oooohhhh! OM1 is gonna have something to say about your milk drinking! Go get him OM1! :icon_lol:

Yeah, I just toss some almonds right into the blender when I make the shake. I blend it up as good as I can although it does have some grainy texture to it. Such things don't bother me though.

And I do the same thing with tuna as you do although I usually get it in water and then add some good quality olive oil and a grind of black pepper and eat it that way. It's really good! I'll have to look for Cento brand though as lately I'm not loving the stuff I've bought. Bumble Bee tuna is the absolute worst! It seems every can I open is this white, gelatinous mush. It's disgusting! I've actually complained to the company about how lousy it is and how "chunk" isn't chunk at all, it's tuna paste. They sent me a coupon for some free Bumble Bee tuna, go figure. :roll:

Oh, I've just found a site for protein that is pretty good. They do mostly bulk powders but have tons of options. You can get single aminos or whey protein or egg protein or egg white protein or meal replacement mixes, etc. Even with shipping I found the price for bulk beat what I would pay at the store by quite a lot. I only tried out some L-tyrosine so far but I'm happy with the product and the service so I'm making up a bigger order right now. You should check them out. Unfortunately I don't see a search function on the site and finding all the great stuff they offer takes a few minutes, but it's worth it. You can even customize your own mix. How cool is that? :)

I've heard of them but never tried them. I might give them a whirl.

I've tried these guys in the past:

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/home.php

They have lots of flexibility in customizing your blends and their flavored proteins aren't bad, either.

There's seems to be a trend towards beef plasma protein and claims of its superiority to whey. I have a tub of Carnivore and, to be honest, I really haven't felt any difference although it's claimed to be the equivalent of eating steak.

i've been disgusted by Starkist, Bumble Bee and Genova. The last one is imported from Italy, if I'm not mistaken, but I have no idea how the hell it's still on the shelves. Its texture is like vomit and flavor no better than Bumble Bee.

Hey, my tuna is cheaper on Amazon than Whole Foods!

http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Tuna-Olive-Oil-142/dp/B0005YL6SG

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:icon_eek:

man_cow_drinking_other_species_milk.jpg

:icon_lol:

Almonds are VERY healthy and some of the best nuts you can eat for good health. But Bumble Bee tuna? OMG, their "solid" white albacore is like BAD flake tuna and has so much water in it that it floats sometimes in it.

:tealc_new049:

Bluce Ree

Yes, here's my "Lickity Split Turkey in a Hurry" recipe:

-- 1 quart bourbon
-- 1 frozen turkey 7 to 125 Lbs
-----------------------------------

Measure out 2 cups of bourbon, set aside while you prepare turkey.

Unwrap frozen turkey, place in roasting pan large enough to hold it. Place in oven and roast at 3000 degrees for 15 minutes. Hurriedly quaff the 2 cups of bourbon while the turkey is roasting. Repeat as necessary until guests arrive and/or guests become annoying.

Enjoy! :)

:laughing: