Spaghetti and meatballs... which are the best recipes?

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You and me both, brother. If I keep this up, I'm going to undo myself into a lard-ass.

Not a problem if you start doing IF (Intermittent fasting). Been doing it for about 2 months now and it's great. Dropped 10 pounds of weight in no time so now I'm back to my ideal weight. And I didn't have to change my diet at all. I basically just skip lunch, that's all. Super easy. And no, I'm not starving myself, haven't lost any muscle and my nutritional intake is just fine. When I got into it I discovered that I was simply eating wayyyyyyy too much. My doctor even chastised me for being over my BMI, which shocked me because I'm an ectomorph and have never been overweight -- ever. Damn foot surgeries laid me up for better part of a year and I couldn't work out like I used to. Didn't take long for the weight to pour on. Got into more of a "primal" diet and from there heard about IF and tried it. Turns out it's actually pretty healthy. Check it out.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Not a problem if you start doing IF (Intermittent fasting). Been doing it for about 2 months now and it's great. Dropped 10 pounds of weight in no time so now I'm back to my ideal weight. And I didn't have to change my diet at all. I basically just skip lunch, that's all. Super easy. And no, I'm not starving myself, haven't lost any muscle and my nutritional intake is just fine. When I got into it I discovered that I was simply eating wayyyyyyy too much. My doctor even chastised me for being over my BMI, which shocked me because I'm an ectomorph and have never been overweight -- ever. Damn foot surgeries laid me up for better part of a year and I couldn't work out like I used to. Didn't take long for the weight to pour on. Got into more of a "primal" diet and from there heard about IF and tried it. Turns out it's actually pretty healthy. Check it out.

OM1 is gonna have a fit when he reads this post. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Meh, I studied IF before starting it and my diet is pretty good so I don't have to worry about missing out on anything. It's not starvation and I don't go crazy with it. For instance, there are people who routinely fast for 24 hours and they do it a couple times a week. That's not something I would do. And don't get me going about those people who do "extended cleanses" for like 72 hours, which is just plain crazy. Nope, nothing weird like that for me. I eat daily. ;)

Oh, and I should add the beauty of this "diet" (if you can call it that) is that I don't have to obsess about food. It's kind of the opposite of an eating disorder because it's not a neurotic fear of food. Plus I hate being weighed down with lunch in the middle of the day. It slows me down.

Bluce Ree

Meh, I studied IF before starting it and my diet is pretty good so I don't have to worry about missing out on anything. It's not starvation and I don't go crazy with it. For instance, there are people who routinely fast for 24 hours and they do it a couple times a week. That's not something I would do. And don't get me going about those people who do "extended cleanses" for like 72 hours, which is just plain crazy. Nope, nothing weird like that for me. I eat daily. ;)

Oh, and I should add the beauty of this "diet" (if you can call it that) is that I don't have to obsess about food. It's kind of the opposite of an eating disorder because it's not a neurotic fear of food. Plus I hate being weighed down with lunch in the middle of the day. It slows me down.

I can't say I agree with the idea of skipping a meal to control weight but I can't argue with your results seeing as it has worked for you.

I'm an advocate of eating often, especially if you're trying to lose weight. Total caloric intake split throughout the day to keep your body constantly fed and your metabolism working all day. If your goal is to lose weight, a caloric deficit works best but split into 5-6 meals throughout the day.

I typically eat about 3000 - 3500 kcals / day to maintain my weight, mostly protein. If I ate that much in 3 meals, you can bet I would be carrying around a keg instead of a six-pack. If I cut my calories below 2500, I tend to lose weight fast.

What do you typically eat for lunch that could weigh you down like that?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can't say I agree with the idea of skipping a meal to control weight but I can't argue with your results seeing as it has worked for you.

I'm an advocate of eating often, especially if you're trying to lose weight. Total caloric intake split throughout the day to keep your body constantly fed and your metabolism working all day. If your goal is to lose weight, a caloric deficit works best but split into 5-6 meals throughout the day.

I typically eat about 3000 - 3500 kcals / day to maintain my weight, mostly protein. If I ate that much in 3 meals, you can bet I would be carrying around a keg instead of a six-pack. If I cut my calories below 2500, I tend to lose weight fast.

What do you typically eat for lunch that could weigh you down like that?

For the typical lunch I'm referring to a sandwich type of thing. Bread seems to weigh me down. If I just eat some meat at lunch I don't get that sick, tired feeling compared to eating say a Subway sandwich.

As for the kcals thing, yeah, that's a big debate in the IF community. There are blogs and blogs and blogs by some pretty in shape guys who argue against the whole 6 meals a day thing. Brad Pilon is sort of the guru in this area. I'm not brainwashed by him by any means but he does make sense on maintaining metabolism and muscle while practicing IF. He's got a ton of videos on the You Tube also. Check him out.

http://bradpilon.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradpilon

There are tons of other blogs out there about IF and maintaining muscle. Makes for an interesting read should you ever want to. All I can say about my experience is that I dropped the layer of fat that was covering the muscle underneath. If you're already pretty cut I don't know if this would benefit you or not to be honest. But at least it would give you something to intellectually chew on as an argument to the whole "grazing" method of eating you probably are doing now. But if your diet works for you I'm all for it. Just saying, for me IF has really freed me up in terms of time (meal prep), cost and health. I generally feel better over all and I don't think it's placebo effect.

And for what it's worth I just hosted a bbq replete with pork ribs, brats, seafood salad (shrimp, crab) and tons of other stuff. Didn't over eat and I didn't worry about what I put on my plate. I served some big soft rolls and wasn't tempted to eat any myself. Now I'm full but don't feel like falling asleep. Hell, I even had energy to hand wash the dishes. Plus I'm about to grab a beer and imbibe without worry. After all, if I'm going to ingest carbs they might as well come from beer. ;)

I should add that I don't slavishly subscribe to any "diet" plan anyone else comes up with. I do what works for me and I say screw the rest. I'm pretty much a skeptic at heart so I doubt everything first, beat it with a stick, and then ask questions. It works for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

:icon_eek:

:icon_e_wink:

Oh my....where to begin? Ape, intermittent fasting does NOT mean skipping lunch. It only means you are skipping lunch. :) You body cannot benefit from a "fast" of a few hours. It takes up to two days (sometimes one) to shift your body between carb burning mode and lipolysis (fat burning mode). What you are losing could be muscle. Im certain Bluce will concur with this, since he is currently ripped and has lots of muscle. Im in my muscle building phase and I dont yet have mass even approaching his. But I do know that skipping a meal only seems to allow a weight advantage because you are eating less calories/fat/carbs/food. If you want a truly balanced lean body, you need to eat MORE (up to six meals a day) and eat the right foods. If you are already in ketosis and you do an IF, you WILL lose muscle because that will be the only source of carbohydrates and fat. If you are in carb burning mode, then your metabolism will slow down and your body will start to reserve carbohydrates to deal with your skipping lunch.

HOW COULD YOU! :icon_lol:

You are brilliant...you need to read about nutrition and how your body uses the fuel you put in it before you start creating your own weight loss programs. There is lots of stuff on YouTube to watch regarding low carb. I know you were going in that direction last time we spoke at length about it. Also, you need SUPPLEMENTS. A multivitamin, magnesium and zinc, vitamin D, potassium....you are what you eat, and what you dont eat. In two month's time, your IF will fail because your body will adapt to it and you will find yourself gaining weight! Perhaps you just need to go through it to see. :) Just being a buddy.

S

Stonelesscutter

I must admit it could be pretty funny to see you guys slap eachother around with diets and stuff. But shall we keep the foodfight restricted to spaghetti and meatballs? :)

I'm thinking pasta-catapults and rock-hard meat. Or perhaps a pasta whip...

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
this threads title gives me a distinct "Lady and the Tramp" vibe...

**backs away slowly**

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I must admit it could be pretty funny to see you guys slap eachother around with diets and stuff. But shall we keep the foodfight restricted to spaghetti and meatballs? :)

I'm thinking pasta-catapults and rock-hard meat. Or perhaps a pasta whip...

I've never understood food fetishism. How you can find it erotic and sexually stimulating is beyond me. Clearly it's a Dutch thing. :cool:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Oh my....where to begin? Ape, intermittent fasting does NOT mean skipping lunch. It only means you are skipping lunch. :) You body cannot benefit from a "fast" of a few hours. It takes up to two days (sometimes one) to shift your body between carb burning mode and lipolysis (fat burning mode). What you are losing could be muscle. Im certain Bluce will concur with this, since he is currently ripped and has lots of muscle. Im in my muscle building phase and I dont yet have mass even approaching his. But I do know that skipping a meal only seems to allow a weight advantage because you are eating less calories/fat/carbs/food. If you want a truly balanced lean body, you need to eat MORE (up to six meals a day) and eat the right foods. If you are already in ketosis and you do an IF, you WILL lose muscle because that will be the only source of carbohydrates and fat. If you are in carb burning mode, then your metabolism will slow down and your body will start to reserve carbohydrates to deal with your skipping lunch.

You are brilliant...you need to read about nutrition and how your body uses the fuel you put in it before you start creating your own weight loss programs. There is lots of stuff on YouTube to watch regarding low carb. I know you were going in that direction last time we spoke at length about it. Also, you need SUPPLEMENTS. A multivitamin, magnesium and zinc, vitamin D, potassium....you are what you eat, and what you dont eat. In two month's time, your IF will fail because your body will adapt to it and you will find yourself gaining weight! Perhaps you just need to go through it to see. :) Just being a buddy.

It's actually not that bad. What I'm calling IF is probably just what you'd call clean eating. I don't take it to an extreme. What it has done is allowed me to focus on ingesting foods that are healthier for me in a more controlled fashion than what I used to do, which was graze all day long. So instead of mindlessly devouring a bag of Doritos throughout the day I will plan a dinner of roasted free-range chicken. I know that sounds like a weird comparison but what I'm getting at is that with my version of IF I no longer eat sloppily.

So if I eat a good breakfast, work thru lunch and then give myself a 5 hour window to eat at night I'm still ingesting enough clean calories to keep me quite healthy. Granted, I could eat a bunch of garbage in that time frame but I'm finding that I really don't have those cravings anymore. Before I tried this out I would graze all day long and even eat stuff like ice cream, and I don't even like ice cream. It was pointless but those cravings were always there. I would eat sugar when there was no need. Now, with IF, I literally don't crave sugar. I no longer desire to devour a package of Oreos, and, like ice cream, I don't even like Oreos. Seriously.

So I guess it's more of a discipline thing for me but in a weird way it doesn't feel restrictive at all. I don't obsess about what I put in my mouth but at the same time I find myself making better caloric choices. Calling it IF might be something of a misnomer in this case, but that's where the idea came from. I'm not really interested in getting more extreme with it though. I don't think getting to the point of starvation can be healthy so no worries there.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:facepalm:

Bluce Ree

I have to agree with that because of how humans are built. By simply cutting calories, your body begins breaking down amino acids in your muscles in order to feed. Under normal circumstances, your body burns food first, muscles second and fat last.

By dropping carbs, you deprive your body of its primary source of energy: glycogen (blood sugar). Glycogen is one of those things that, if not totally used, gets stored into fat cells for later use. By dropping your carb intake to very low levels, you can induce ketosis, which is your body replacing glycogen with ketones. Ketones come from fat. Once in ketosis, your body tries to make use of the first available source of fat, which is usually stored fat even before ingested fat. Carbs almost immediately affect your blood sugar levels, giving you an immediate burst of energy. Fat takes longer to get from your stomach to your blood.

Even in ketosis, if you drop your total caloric intake below maintenance, you will cause muscle to break down because your body isn't sufficiently fed. Eating a protein-rich low-carb diet with sufficient calories keeps your body fed and, thus, spares muscle as fat is converted into ketones. The beauty of ketones is that, once in the blood stream, they cannot be stored again. Glycogen, if not completely used, is stored right back as fat. Ketones, on the other hand, are evacuated in your urine.

In ketosis, your body now burns food first, then fat, then muscle, provided your diet is in check.

I miss my Flintstones vitamins. :)

Bluce Ree

It's actually not that bad. What I'm calling IF is probably just what you'd call clean eating. I don't take it to an extreme. What it has done is allowed me to focus on ingesting foods that are healthier for me in a more controlled fashion than what I used to do, which was graze all day long. So instead of mindlessly devouring a bag of Doritos throughout the day I will plan a dinner of roasted free-range chicken. I know that sounds like a weird comparison but what I'm getting at is that with my version of IF I no longer eat sloppily.

So if I eat a good breakfast, work thru lunch and then give myself a 5 hour window to eat at night I'm still ingesting enough clean calories to keep me quite healthy. Granted, I could eat a bunch of garbage in that time frame but I'm finding that I really don't have those cravings anymore. Before I tried this out I would graze all day long and even eat stuff like ice cream, and I don't even like ice cream. It was pointless but those cravings were always there. I would eat sugar when there was no need. Now, with IF, I literally don't crave sugar. I no longer desire to devour a package of Oreos, and, like ice cream, I don't even like Oreos. Seriously.

So I guess it's more of a discipline thing for me but in a weird way it doesn't feel restrictive at all. I don't obsess about what I put in my mouth but at the same time I find myself making better caloric choices. Calling it IF might be something of a misnomer in this case, but that's where the idea came from. I'm not really interested in getting more extreme with it though. I don't think getting to the point of starvation can be healthy so no worries there.

Grazing all day isn't a bad thing depending on what you're grazing. Instead of a bag of Doritos, carry around a bag of nuts. Even with sufficient total calories overall, I don't see how eating twice a day can be good.

I spent 4 weeks lying in bed last month with bronchitis. During that time, I was eating maybe twice or three times a day. Some days I ate a lot some days I ate a little. The net result was me losing about 10 lbs and a whole lot of strength. Now that I'm back on my feet, it hasn't been easy putting back the lost 10 lbs and regaining strength but it all started coming back together when I adjusted my eating habits to where they were.

Eating habits are acquired and, once you're used to eating a certain way, you don't really obsess about what you eat or how often you eat. When I started this years ago, I was using an Excel spreadsheet that listed various foods I ate with nutrients and quantities. I learned to keep tabs on what I eat and how much I am eating. Eventually, I didn't need it anymore but it was a great tool for me when I started bodybuilding.

Having said all that, I am now eating the last quarter of the tray of lasagna I made two days ago. Yeah, I like to cheat once in a while, so, bite me. :icon_lol:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hubby is a diabetic and has to eat six small meals a day....it's made all of us aware of how much we eat and when. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hubby is a diabetic and has to eat six small meals a day....it's made all of us aware of how much we eat and when. :)

Thats where Im at...eating about six smaller meals during the day, and I also carry the small bag of nuts that Bluce suggested! I carry a larger bag of salted peanuts in the shell that I can snack on when I go to the park. I can also hand feed them to squirrels. :). I sometimes also make a "snack pack" of cheese, pepperoni and/or cooked sausage. Skipping lunch only makes for a hungrier man at the next meal. And yes, I do cheat about a day a week (usually Friday).