Spaghetti and meatballs... which are the best recipes?

• Thread starter Stonelesscutter
  • Start date
S

Stonelesscutter

After recently watching Will Smith eating spaghetti and meatballs in Hancock, I came to the conclusion that I've been missing out on this seemingly wonderful American dish. So as a lot of you here are no doubt experts on this matter, I would like you all to provide your recipes for spaghetti and meatballs awesomeness.

We could all discuss the various recipes that shall no doubt arise and possibly later add a poll so we can vote for the ones we think are best.

I would love to make myself some good spaghetti and meatballs worthy of American culture.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ask Rac80, she has given me some recipies, and I'm not dead yet :P
(or am I............) :P

S

Stonelesscutter

Ask Rac80, she has given me some recipies, and I'm not dead yet :P
(or am I............) :P

I'm sure she'll find her way to this thread. :) I might have to have someone "test" the food before I eat it though. :D JK ofcourse.

Also I bet that Shavedape will have a kick-ass spaghetti and meatballs recipe and I think Overmind will also want to show off his cooking skills. :) Perhaps even Graybrew and Illiterati will want to join in.
Hell, everybody's suggestions are welcome. Yaey! :joy:

G

Graybrew1

I eat turkey meatballs and whole wheat pasta with chopped stewed tomatoes in garlic and italian seasonings. Throw in some mushrooms and more veggies and I am in heaven. With just a dash of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

You just cook the pasta, cook the pre-made frozen turkey meatballs, cut up raw or cooked veggies. Open up can of stewed tomatoes, chop into preferred size. Grate up some Garlic and chop up some onions. Mix all together. Sprinkle cheese on top.

You can substitute the Turkey meatballs, for regular ones or with chopped skinless baked chicken. Add whatever veggies that you like. I would suggest nice deli parmesan and not the kind from a can.

S

Stonelesscutter

I eat turkey meatballs and whole wheat pasta with chopped stewed tomatoes in garlic and italian seasonings. Throw in some mushrooms and more veggies and I am in heaven. With just a dash of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

Imagine... I'm a complete cooking n00b. (that shouldn't be hard :P)
Now think of what might happen if I tried to mash everything you just mentioned together. :)
Could you please describe it more like a formal recipe? I mean with a list of ingredients and how much of those ingredients are needed and then add some information on which steps to take to make sure this doesn't go horribly wrong in any way.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Bachelor recipe...

Barilla.jpgPrego.jpg

Boil water. Throw spaghetti in boiling water. Heat Prego sauce in a pot. Drain spaghetti and pour sauce over it.

:D

G

Graybrew1

Imagine... I'm a complete cooking n00b. (that shouldn't be hard :P)
Now think of what might happen if I tried to mash everything you just mentioned together. :)
Could you please describe it more like a formal recipe? I mean with a list of ingredients and how much of those ingredients are needed and then add some information on which steps to take to make sure this doesn't go horribly wrong in any way.

I don't use amounts, I eyeball it.
One box of spaghetti, maybe two cans of tomatoes and eyeball the rest. Taste to see if you like and add more when wanted.

Red Mage

Boney
Spaghetti i just buy from the store. For meatballs I mix

1 jumbo egg
3 tablespoon milk
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
(these are rough estimates. i usually just eyeball the recipe0

mix that together

Fold that mixture into about 1 lb of ground beef

Form round balls from the beef mixed in with the other stuff.

Gently roll the meatballs in more crumbs

Then your choice 1) pan fry in oil or 2) bake in an oven at 425 F for 18-25 minutes depending on elevation and oven type.

Red Mage

Boney
Also, I forgot to add: You do want fattier meat when making meatballs the 90/10 lean meat doesn't stick together as well. 80/20 is not only cheaper but works better for meatballs.

S

Stonelesscutter

Spaghetti i just buy from the store. For meatballs I mix

1 jumbo egg
3 tablespoon milk
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
(these are rough estimates. i usually just eyeball the recipe0

mix that together

Fold that mixture into about 1 lb of ground beef

Form round balls from the beef mixed in with the other stuff.

Gently roll the meatballs in more crumbs

Then your choice 1) pan fry in oil or 2) bake in an oven at 425 F for 18-25 minutes depending on elevation and oven type.

Two questions.
What is panko bread?
What do you use for spaghettisauce?

S

Stonelesscutter

Also, I forgot to add: You do want fattier meat when making meatballs the 90/10 lean meat doesn't stick together as well. 80/20 is not only cheaper but works better for meatballs.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is 90/10 and 80/20? Is that like 90% meat 10% fat or more like 90% Porc 10% Beef or whatever?

Red Mage

Boney
Panko is japanese breadcrumbs usually found in the asian food section of the supermarket. Regular breadcrumbs are fine too if you can't find any panko in your area. Panko makes the meatballs crispier imo.

I'm not a big sauce person. I usually just buy what jar sauce is on sale at the store.

Yes the 90/10 is meat to fat ratio. If you can find beef about 80% meat to 20% fat, it's ideal for keeping the meat together in the ball shape. I bought 90/10 to be healthy and the meatballs didn't hold together as well and fell apart when pan frying.

S

Stonelesscutter

Panko is japanese breadcrumbs usually found in the asian food section of the supermarket. Regular breadcrumbs are fine too if you can't find any panko in your area. Panko makes the meatballs crispier imo.

Suddenly I remember my grandmother used to grind up 'beschuit'. There probably isn't an english translation for that. I guess the effect would be the same as with the Panko.

I'm not a big sauce person. I usually just buy what jar sauce is on sale at the store.

Somebody's got to have a fingerlicking sauce recipe from fresh ingredients.

Yes the 90/10 is meat to fat ratio. If you can find beef about 80% meat to 20% fat, it's ideal for keeping the meat together in the ball shape. I bought 90/10 to be healthy and the meatballs didn't hold together as well and fell apart when pan frying.

My parents would probably say "well it's gonna come apart anyway when you eat it", but I agree it would be nice to have the meatballs stay in one piece. :)
Thanks for that tip.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Almost midnight here but I'll try to post a "from scratch" recipe tomorrow.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I cheated the other night when I made spaghetti and meatballs. I cooked up some pasta I found in the cabinet and added meatballs, bell peppers, tomatoes, red onions, olives and raw spinach leaves (with the marinara sauce that comes with the meatballs) that I got from the Subway sandwich shop around the corner. Just about fast food nirvana. Yes, I'll likely do it again sometime.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
View attachment 5767View attachment 5766

Boil water. Throw spaghetti in boiling water. Heat Prego sauce in a pot. Drain spaghetti and pour sauce over it.

:D

College Cuisine! :beckettu: Yep, that is the easiest way to do it. Getting the spaghetti al dente is the trick there, as well as doctoring up the sauce from the jar. But this is my recipe:

Tools:

1 large skillet
Spatula
Pasta strainer (or a bowl and a plate)

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef (I prefer no more than 20% fat)
1 can tomato SAUCE (not paste!), get the 10oz size or so per pound of meat
2 cups short pasta or 1/2 pkg spaghetti depending on your taste.

Seasonings:

prepared Italian seasoning (like the kind for salads)
garlic powder or chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon of sugar (I use Splenda instead)
Dried mushroom pieces (or fresh chopped mushroom)
Parmesan cheese and shredded cheese (optional)

Cooking directions:

Try to use a skillet like a cast iron or a nice stainless pan that you can simmer the meat in. I do not recommend a flat grill skillet because the oil/fat from the meat will run over and you cant stir it as easily.

Season the meat with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasonings (you can use your own if you know what you are doing). Then, mash the meat to mix the seasonings inside the meat. This is important, because if you just sprinkle the seasoning on top it will not taste as full when you are eating the meat sauce. Its worth it. Use your hands! :) You can even add a DASH of hot sauce to the meat at this point before it is cooked. 10 MIN

Turn the heat up to MEDIUM and mash the seasoned meat into the skillet all the way to the edges. You are going to need a nice spatula (preferably metal, but a plastic heat safe one will work). You will need a knife and fork as well as you are cooking. Preparing the meat before adding the sauce is IMPORTANT! Cook the meat thoroughly, breaking up large chunks of meat as it cooks using the spatula, fork and knife. Keep the chunks of meat manageable, or you will end up with a meat sauce that looks more like you broke a hamburger up in it. :icon_cool: Meat is done when parts of it are browning and there is no red left in the meat that you can see. 20 MIN

At this point, you need to decide how much of the fat you are going to drain off the cooked meat (if any). If you are using a high-fat ground beef like 30-70, I recommend draining off half the fat before adding the sauce. Drain (or not), then add the entire can of tomato sauce, the mushrooms and sugar (and chopped garlic if you are using it). Stir the meat and sauce and ingredients thoroughly and turn heat down to SIMMER. Do NOT cover. You will stir occasionally. 15 MIN

Open your package of pasta and if using spaghetti, then use half the entire package. I like using short pastas like tortellini, gomito and manicotti, because they allow the sauce to fill them up and they have a nice texture when done al dente. :) Use at least 4 quarts of water, and add about a tablespoon of salt to the water and perhaps a tablespoon of olive oil. IMPORTANT: Water must be boiling BEFORE adding the pasta. After water is boiling, add the pasta. Spaghetti will stick out of the water until it starts to soften, and then you can fold it into the water. Short pastas can be added all at once. Boil pasta for exactly 15 minutes for al dente (firm but done).

After pasta is done, dump it into the strainer (or into a bowl, then use a plate to hold back the pasta whilst you drain the water from it). Turn the heat under the sauce OFF. Take your dinner portion of the hot pasta and put it on your plate or in your bowl, then SPOON the sauce all over it (do not pour or you might dump too much on it). Stir your spaghetti with the sauce and then add more if you want. After your plate has enough on it, sprinkle the top of the spaghetti with Parmesan cheese and your shredded cheese and CHOW DOWN! :)

Stuff that goes with a typical spaghetti meal:

Garlic bread (make your own with French bread)
Red wine
Salad with vinaigrette or oil and vinegar dressing
Asparagus.

S

Stonelesscutter

I cheated the other night when I made spaghetti and meatballs. I cooked up some pasta I found in the cabinet and added meatballs, bell peppers, tomatoes, red onions, olives and raw spinach leaves (with the marinara sauce that comes with the meatballs) that I got from the Subway sandwich shop around the corner. Just about fast food nirvana. Yes, I'll likely do it again sometime.

Which of these ingredients exactly did you get at the Subway?

S

Stonelesscutter

College Cuisine! :beckettu: Yep, that is the easiest way to do it. Getting the spaghetti al dente is the trick there, as well as doctoring up the sauce from the jar. But this is my recipe:

Tools:

1 large skillet
Spatula
Pasta strainer (or a bowl and a plate)

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef (I prefer no more than 20% fat)
1 can tomato SAUCE (not paste!), get the 10oz size or so per pound of meat
2 cups short pasta or 1/2 pkg spaghetti depending on your taste.

Seasonings:

prepared Italian seasoning (like the kind for salads)
garlic powder or chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon of sugar (I use Splenda instead)
Dried mushroom pieces (or fresh chopped mushroom)
Parmesan cheese and shredded cheese (optional)

Cooking directions:

Try to use a skillet like a cast iron or a nice stainless pan that you can simmer the meat in. I do not recommend a flat grill skillet because the oil/fat from the meat will run over and you cant stir it as easily.

Season the meat with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasonings (you can use your own if you know what you are doing). Then, mash the meat to mix the seasonings inside the meat. This is important, because if you just sprinkle the seasoning on top it will not taste as full when you are eating the meat sauce. Its worth it. Use your hands! :) You can even add a DASH of hot sauce to the meat at this point before it is cooked. 10 MIN

Turn the heat up to MEDIUM and mash the seasoned meat into the skillet all the way to the edges. You are going to need a nice spatula (preferably metal, but a plastic heat safe one will work). You will need a knife and fork as well as you are cooking. Preparing the meat before adding the sauce is IMPORTANT! Cook the meat thoroughly, breaking up large chunks of meat as it cooks using the spatula, fork and knife. Keep the chunks of meat manageable, or you will end up with a meat sauce that looks more like you broke a hamburger up in it. :icon_cool: Meat is done when parts of it are browning and there is no red left in the meat that you can see. 20 MIN

At this point, you need to decide how much of the fat you are going to drain off the cooked meat (if any). If you are using a high-fat ground beef like 30-70, I recommend draining off half the fat before adding the sauce. Drain (or not), then add the entire can of tomato sauce, the mushrooms and sugar (and chopped garlic if you are using it). Stir the meat and sauce and ingredients thoroughly and turn heat down to SIMMER. Do NOT cover. You will stir occasionally. 15 MIN

Open your package of pasta and if using spaghetti, then use half the entire package. I like using short pastas like tortellini, gomito and manicotti, because they allow the sauce to fill them up and they have a nice texture when done al dente. :) Use at least 4 quarts of water, and add about a tablespoon of salt to the water and perhaps a tablespoon of olive oil. IMPORTANT: Water must be boiling BEFORE adding the pasta. After water is boiling, add the pasta. Spaghetti will stick out of the water until it starts to soften, and then you can fold it into the water. Short pastas can be added all at once. Boil pasta for exactly 15 minutes for al dente (firm but done).

After pasta is done, dump it into the strainer (or into a bowl, then use a plate to hold back the pasta whilst you drain the water from it). Turn the heat under the sauce OFF. Take your dinner portion of the hot pasta and put it on your plate or in your bowl, then SPOON the sauce all over it (do not pour or you might dump too much on it). Stir your spaghetti with the sauce and then add more if you want. After your plate has enough on it, sprinkle the top of the spaghetti with Parmesan cheese and your shredded cheese and CHOW DOWN! :)

Stuff that goes with a typical spaghetti meal:

Garlic bread (make your own with French bread)
Red wine
Salad with vinaigrette or oil and vinegar dressing
Asparagus.

Sounds good mate!
I see that you went for a carbonara sauce instead of meatballs. That's fine too.