So! What books have you been reading?!

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
finished this a while back

first off--Stoker is over rated

I read Dracula and Dracula's Guest before this and they are evidence that occasionally the Hollywood movie is better then the source material
then Stoker takes about 200 pages to end the book in a total change of plot from the supernatural to some pre WW1 political melodrama.
It is almost like Stoker never drew up a plan or outline for his stories; like he just woke up every morning and tried to remember how to follow up on what he wrote the day before. Then forgot or changed his mind, said "F it" and took a different direction.

Actually, Stoker's Dracula is a xenophobic allegory, a portrayal of the fear of reverse colonialism of England. Dracula talks about how his blood is conquering during a time when England was afraid of being colonized. In a modern context, Dracula would represent a Mexican crossing the border, taking the white man's job, knocking up the white man's woman.

I'm surprised you missed the overt theme of xenophobia. It's quite blatant. I haven't read Dracula since high school, many, many decades ago. Most of us in English Lit class got it on the first read.

Actually, Stoker's Dracula is a xenophobic allegory, a portrayal of the fear of reverse colonialism of England. Dracula talks about how his blood is conquering during a time when England was afraid of being colonized. In a modern context, Dracula would represent a Mexican crossing the border, taking the white man's job, knocking up the white man's woman.

I'm surprised you missed the overt theme of xenophobia. It's quite blatant. I haven't read Dracula since high school, many, many decades ago. Most of us in English Lit class got it on the first read.

That's correct. The public debate over imperialism and colonialism was at its zenith near the end of the Victorian era and Stoker's novel uses that issue as its central theme. There was a pervasive fear that foreigners, namely eastern Europeans, were going to emigrate to England, overtake it and basically destroy British culture.

The Mexican analogy is good btw. We read it back in high school too but the issue of undocumented immigration wasn't at the fore as it is now. It definitely fits the theme of the novel though.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Currently reading the Hunt for Red October (to be followed by the Cardinal in the Kremlin!)

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Today I finished a fine book written by Mark and Christopher Cifaldi.

6118tKDduGL.jpg

I went for the hard cover edition because I like to hold them in my hands to really feel the texture of those pages. I'm not a kindle guy I like the feel of a hard book with smooth pages in my hands.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24221953-do-you-want-to-play-with-my-balls

The book was given a 3.8 out of 5 by reviewers for its well thought out presentation but I would give this book a 5 out of 5 because I really enjoyed it. It's not a kids book but a book for adults in case your wondering. The arthurs try to create a sentimental mood with a twist of humor that grown ups will find amusing. The illustrations were done quite made easy to follow. The story has some moments that drag on and on but the story quickly picks up after those moments.

In conclusion I would recommend this book to any one who thinks it's important to laugh at stupid things sometimes. I hope they write a sequel.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Today I finished a fine book written by Mark and Christopher Cifaldi.

6118tKDduGL.jpg

I went for the hard cover edition because I like to hold them in my hands to really feel the texture of those pages. I'm not a kindle guy I like the feel of a hard book with smooth pages in my hands.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24221953-do-you-want-to-play-with-my-balls

The book was given a 3.8 out of 5 by reviewers for its well thought out presentation but I would give this book a 5 out of 5 because I really enjoyed it. It's not a kids book but a book for adults in case your wondering. The arthurs try to create a sentimental mood with a twist of humor that grown ups will find amusing. The illustrations were done quite made easy to follow. The story has some moments that drag on and on but the story quickly picks up after those moments.

In conclusion I would recommend this book to any one who thinks it's important to laugh at stupid things sometimes. I hope they write a sequel.

This seems funny at first, but it actually is quite disgusting. Please avoid posting anything like this again. Thanks!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This seems funny at first, but it actually is quite disgusting. Please avoid posting anything like this again. Thanks!

yeah, this a family friendly forum and i dont think that any profanity filter is going to keep some kid from seeing this post

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
yeah, this a family friendly forum and i dont think that any profanity filter is going to keep some kid from seeing this post

Ah, yongjane, you mean like posts that imply about sticking gerbils up the ass?

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/th...fectly-with-existing-canon.29061/#post-922499

And you also mean like posting about banging your cousins and given them hand jobs?

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/im-baaaack.29052/page-3#post-921896
https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/im-baaaack.29052/page-3#post-921899

Wow what a selective hypocrite! You just have it out for me no matter what I post.

Dude, seriously? :rolleye0014: We're not Disney here and never have been. This place is salted with a ton of crude posts. And while I don't find the "humor" of this particular book to be funny, and I don't like being put in a position to defend it because it's dumb as shit in my estimation, it's available in mainstream book stores like B&N. There's nothing stopping kids from picking the book up off the shelf and reading it right there at the store.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

No, we are not a "family friendly forum". Just sayin!