So! What books have you been reading?!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi!

How about we all just try to get along? We have differing opinions on the book; OM was asked and gave his take. Case closed, with a possible thought to clarifying language in the CCPG in future.

Let's stop with the skirmishing and have some good discussion!

As to what book have I been reading? I assure you it is not exactly a thrilling novel...

Amazon product

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this was a very good read, guy has a great insight and incorporates, imo, many of the issues that have been talked about here

a book on the 'history' of future evolution of mankind

many of his topics remind me of things we have talked about here--- from the flat earth/conspiracy thread (mainly the decline of common sense) to the rise of tech lust (gotta have the latest gadget even if the buyer does not know what it does) and many items in between. all of these distractions, though progress by definition, will only serve to hinder us if we do not put them in their proper place and demonetize said progress (tough one there) for the greater, humanistic good.

Also,to me, but not mentioned by the author, is his narrative on the potential of humanity to rise in any manner similar to what he projects,and is also telling and ,hmm, parallel (?), looking into the deep past. our 'lost civilizations' thread.

anyhow, enough of my opinion, a description from the dustcover:

"Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style—thorough, yet riveting—famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonalds than from being blown up by Al Qaeda.

What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century—from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution. This is Homo Deus."

41MJoxwmKfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this was a very good read, guy has a great insight and incorporates, imo, many of the issues that have been talked about here

a book on the 'history' of future evolution of mankind

many of his topics remind me of things we have talked about here--- from the flat earth/conspiracy thread (mainly the decline of common sense) to the rise of tech lust (gotta have the latest gadget even if the buyer does not know what it does) and many items in between. all of these distractions, though progress by definition, will only serve to hinder us if we do not put them in their proper place and demonetize said progress (tough one there) for the greater, humanistic good.

Also,to me, but not mentioned by the author, is his narrative on the potential of humanity to rise in any manner similar to what he projects,and is also telling and ,hmm, parallel (?), looking into the deep past. our 'lost civilizations' thread.

anyhow, enough of my opinion, a description from the dustcover:

"Over the past century humankind has managed to do the impossible and rein in famine, plague, and war. This may seem hard to accept, but, as Harari explains in his trademark style—thorough, yet riveting—famine, plague and war have been transformed from incomprehensible and uncontrollable forces of nature into manageable challenges. For the first time ever, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little; more people die from old age than from infectious diseases; and more people commit suicide than are killed by soldiers, terrorists and criminals put together. The average American is a thousand times more likely to die from binging at McDonalds than from being blown up by Al Qaeda.

What then will replace famine, plague, and war at the top of the human agenda? As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake? Homo Deus explores the projects, dreams and nightmares that will shape the twenty-first century—from overcoming death to creating artificial life. It asks the fundamental questions: Where do we go from here? And how will we protect this fragile world from our own destructive powers? This is the next stage of evolution. This is Homo Deus."

41MJoxwmKfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now THAT sounds like a book I would want to buy in hardback. Thanks for the recommendation!

Roman Lando

GateFans Noob
The best SciFi books I've read lately are the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey, and the latest from John Scalzi - "Head On" and "Locked In". And forgive me for a shameless plug, I'm writing a Sci-Fi novel myselfm in somewhat similar styles to the books above and I'm publishing it online free, as it's being written, at progressreport.romandesign.ca - try it, maybe you'll enjoy it. I know I do enjoy writing it very much...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
:welcomewagon:Welcome!

Tell us a little about yourself.

FYI this is a long lived forum community whose roots (as the name probably gives away) are in Stargate but really we talk about a lot of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Technology and other topics. We do tend to go in depth on things and we also have a camaraderie here that at least to me is special.

Roman Lando

GateFans Noob
Thanks! I'm a long-time Sci-Fi fan, and I have been reading hard core SF since I was 7 years old. Recently I have decided to write my own. I honestly have no idea whether it's any good, but one can hope... So I just want people to read it and get some feedback. I'm a web designer, musician and a composer, my favoured SF TV series are The Expanse, Orville, Babylon 5 and I did like Stargate too. I was looking for a few large communities of SciFi fans and to mingle in and hopefully invite some readers, and this one came up as one of the best ones. And so I'm here.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Thanks! I'm a long-time Sci-Fi fan, and I have been reading hard core SF since I was 7 years old. Recently I have decided to write my own. I honestly have no idea whether it's any good, but one can hope... So I just want people to read it and get some feedback. I'm a web designer, musician and a composer, my favoured SF TV series are The Expanse, Orville, Babylon 5 and I did like Stargate too. I was looking for a few large communities of SciFi fans and to mingle in and hopefully invite some readers, and this one came up as one of the best ones. And so I'm here.
One of the best ones. And almost the largest. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, WELCOME to GateFans!

:welcomewagon:

Please feel free to link to any of your work, or share ideas or even tell a story! We all miss Stargate, but with awesome stuff out there like The Expanse, and fun scifi out there like The Orville and our old favorites, science fiction is still alive out there.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The best SciFi books I've read lately are the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey, and the latest from John Scalzi - "Head On" and "Locked In". And forgive me for a shameless plug, I'm writing a Sci-Fi novel myselfm in somewhat similar styles to the books above and I'm publishing it online free, as it's being written, at progressreport.romandesign.ca - try it, maybe you'll enjoy it. I know I do enjoy writing it very much...

well, so far, i like it

i am a hard copy, physical book guy (because nobody can perform any kind of digital frackery on a physical book can they?) and i dont really appreciate the whole digital reading thing...but i will give you an exception to my self important rule :)

will the whole book be in the first person? so far it seems a bit more like a diary/journal type of thing. is it semi autobiographical (barring the sci fi, in space elements of course)?

will you be changing from first person to other perspectives in later chapters ( i am currently in 73%)? i think that could add more depth to the story telling

also, i liked your 'trigger warning' in the introduction and your statement that you will be telling a story from a non subjective (ideologically possessed) stance. screw them if they get triggered :)

good luck

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
been reading the third book of the final four on Shannara by Terry Brooks - the Steihl assassin! he had redeemed himself from the Shannara Chronicles! :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
finally started on THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES collection that i was given (in one volume) when i was 13!

great stories
--------------------------------------------------
but,when reading many of these old books, i cant help but wonder how a millennial would react to them--
maybe something like=

"these stories are so derivative of like--everything on tv since i was 5"

because they have a habit of thinking backwards instead of starting from 'then' and making connections till "now"
----------------------------------------------------

this book has a large collection of short stories that were originally written for and published in the Strand Magazine of London

it comes complete with the original 'pen and ink' drawings by Sidney Paget. a huge amount of detail was put into those drawings. at a level of detail equal to the literary detail of Doyle,and all for 'just' a newspaper

220px-Paget_holmes.png
220px-Sherlock_Holmes_and_Professor_Moriarty_at_the_Reichenbach_Falls.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had started reading Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey (the 5th Expanse novel), but I stopped and now I am re-reading Cibola Burn (the 4th book) because the show has thrown me off and I want to identify where the story has changed. Now that they are deviating from the books, I no longer know what to expect.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am re-reading Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Seems like the PERFECT time to read that. I have already dug out my original 1984 novel by George Orwell.