Production List

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excellent!

http://www.teamsters155.org/web2009/index.php

This site is a worker union site of people in the TV and movie business. There is a production list of all movies and series, which are produced in the area of Canada, where the Bridge Studios are. It is updated every week.

So if there would be another season of SGU or a SGU movie, it would appear on the production list. At the moment there is no mention of more SGU, but it is already listing "Blood and Chrome", which is being made in February. The SGU sets won't be up forever unused. That costs too much money. So if they would make a SGU movie, it has to be soon. That there is still no mention of SGU, is a good sign! :D

This is GREAT! I mentioned elsewhere in these forums that I have a friend who lives in Burnaby near Rupert Park which is less than 10 miles away from Bridge studios. She actually works with some of the catering crews on occasion, but she says she is not really interested in the shows that are filmed there. But she did mention that all the stuff in what she called "the big stage" were being cleared out last year. She has not been inside any of the other stages. I made a few calls and Bridge does not give out much information. They will not tell anyone who has what in which stages. But Mallozzi himself has revealed that Stage 6 is where the newest Destiny sets are (the bridge and the hydroponics bay). And earlier on his own blog he said that the Atlantis sets had been in there. But thats the other thread.

I wonder how we could find out when they start tearing down the sets in Stages 5 and 6? I seriously doubt that SGU sets are taking up all of the 40,000sqft of the big FX Stage, but there are SGU sets in there right now. Probably the corridors, observation deck, I dont really know. Perhaps a video tour is posted somewhere.

I imagine that that same site will tell us indirectly if there is ANY activity on SGU (ie, a movie), since work will appear on the boards if/when anything happens.

You know whats funny?

The SGU squeedrones arent even capable of investigating things or understanding them on this level. Its as though their higher brain functions are...truncated. They just sit there with head slighly cocked, staring into their screens at Chloe and Scott and ERush and they feel right at home. Since all is well, why spoil it by being conscious and alert? :facepalm: :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The Vancouver Stargate Convention is in April.

http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgvan.htm

They also want to make Stargate Set Tours. We will find out then, if the SGU sets are still standing.

Who would want to stumble around in the dark on a set tour -- especially one that smells funky (like Robert Carlyle sweat).

P

phronsie

The Vancouver Stargate Convention is in April.

http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgvan.htm

They also want to make Stargate Set Tours. We will find out then, if the SGU sets are still standing. If they aren't standing anymore, SGU is deader than dead! But I guess we will hear before then, that TPTB and SGU actors moved on to other things and that SGU isn't coming back.

April's not that far away, so they may still be up, whatever the fate of sgu; I could see them not bothering to knock 'em down until they have something to take their place. Otherwise, why pay the expenses to have someone do the work?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its not really about whats up or what isnt.

April's not that far away, so they may still be up, whatever the fate of sgu; I could see them not bothering to knock 'em down until they have something to take their place. Otherwise, why pay the expenses to have someone do the work?

Bridge gets paid the same whether the stages are occupied or not. MGM gets charged for securing the use of the stages, and it doesnt matter if there is a set in those stages or not. Also, Bridge employs the personnel who build as well as assemble or disassemble the sets. Its sorta like a leased condo. The landlord charges you for occupancy, they dont care if there is furniture in the place or if you are staying there or not. :) So, I imagine MGM will nip that in the bud as soon as Brad quits bugging them and begging for more time or something to do. :)

Sami_

GateFans Noob
Someone should call Bridge Studios to enquire when the areas SGU was being filmed in will be available.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Hm perhaps not, could lie and say you represent a production company.

That probably wouldn't work. I'd suggest calling and schmoozing someone by saying you're a writer for an online publication and had some questions about how the studio system works there. Then, slowly work questions in about what space is available and have they removed the SGU sets now that it's canceled. Sometimes you'll find someone more than happy to yak your ear off about stuff, especially if it makes them appear to be a big shot when in truth they are just a paper pusher. Just make sure you have a legit "reason" to call and also have questions prepared in advance, not just one question.

Sami_

GateFans Noob
That probably wouldn't work. I'd suggest calling and schmoozing someone by saying you're a writer for an online publication and had some questions about how the studio system works there. Then, slowly work questions in about what space is available and have they removed the SGU sets now that it's canceled. Sometimes you'll find someone more than happy to yak your ear off about stuff, especially if it makes them appear to be a big shot when in truth they are just a paper pusher. Just make sure you have a legit "reason" to call and also have questions prepared in advance, not just one question.

I really doubt that approach would work, it seems like information that studios would guard against being leaked since its of utmost importance to their customers from a marketing point of view.

Bridge cannot however run a business without telling potential customers how much space they have available and when it will be available though - so they have to answer those enquiries if they believe you are a potential customer.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I really doubt that approach would work, it seems like information that studios would guard against being leaked since its of utmost importance to their customers from a marketing point of view.

Bridge cannot however run a business without telling potential customers how much space they have available and when it will be available though - so they have to answer those enquiries if they believe you are a potential customer.

I disagree with you here. No offense but there's no way in hell anyone at Bridge Studios is going to take someone seriously who calls on the phone and says they want to be a "customer". You'd have to be a genuine production company for them to take you seriously. We're talking about a studio that deals with multi-million dollar productions and some goof ball on the other end of the phone saying they want to be a "customer" would get a laugh and a dial tone real quick.

On the other hand, I have used the "reporter" line to get info from sources and find that it does, indeed work. Admittedly this was many, many, MANY years ago when I was just a kid calling a record company about a favorite rock band. The Internet wasn't around back then so I told them I wrote a fan newsletter and had some questions. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I was told there was nothing to report. It all depended on who answered the phone. A couple times I got an over-eager office worker who wanted to appear as someone who was important and they would tell me things that weren't released yet (tour dates and album release dates, stuff like that). I do know that these people changed jobs fairly quickly though as I could never get the same person I talked to previously.

I've also done "cold calling" of different industries for a class I took ages ago. Had to interview people for articles that, in the long run, never saw the light of day even though I told them they were for publication.

Bottom line is that if you want to be taken seriously you have to have a convincing reason for calling. If you tell Bridge Studios that you are a potential "customer" then you damn well better be factual about it because it's such a far fetched lie. Much easier to simply call and say you're working on an article for a website and wanted some clarification. Tons of people write free lance for tons of websites so there's no reason for them not to believe your story. A friend of mine writes for 5 different websites and he's just a guy who works at a comic book store, nothing more -- but the Internet publishing craze has given him legitimacy as a writer, so it opens doors to him that otherwise wouldn't be opened.

Sami_

GateFans Noob
I disagree with you here. No offense but there's no way in hell anyone at Bridge Studios is going to take someone seriously who calls on the phone and says they want to be a "customer". You'd have to be a genuine production company for them to take you seriously. We're talking about a studio that deals with multi-million dollar productions and some goof ball on the other end of the phone saying they want to be a "customer" would get a laugh and a dial tone real quick.

If this is how you would approach it then of course you'd fail.

Personally I'd say I was representing a foreign production company who are looking for a soundstage for a production they will be shooting in Canada and I am making some preliminary enquiries, I certainly wouldn't be all like "hai guyz I am lookingz to buy some rooms from you, hook me upz".

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I expect this is an industry where everyone knows everyone. I doubt you'd be taken seriously if your name wasn't recognized or referred. Besides the business case for Canada now isn't that great. Dollar = USD, 13% general taxation. Snow 6 months a year. :D

Tropicana

Council Member
Sometimes if you sound confident enough and blab enough using industry-related words, you will be surprised how much info you can retrieve out of an individual. ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Can you imagine how many of the squeedrones have already been trying this tactic? (calling and pretending to be someone else to get information)

The folks at Bridge Studios have to be at their wits' end with the calls.

Tropicana

Council Member
Assuming the squeedrones are capable of doing that, lol.

But now that it's been mentioned here, they would be expecting it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have called them and they gave me information...several times.

I called Bridge two weeks ago, and I have called them several times since then. They were VERY helpful, and they answered my questions. They will NOT give out information about who is in which stages, or answer questions about specific clients using the stages, even if you already have the names. You do not have to be a production company, but you do have to sound serious and have a callback number available to give to them. I called them from my cellphone, and they even called me back.

On the other hand, I have used the "reporter" line to get info from sources and find that it does, indeed work. Admittedly this was many, many, MANY years ago when I was just a kid calling a record company about a favorite rock band. The Internet wasn't around back then so I told them I wrote a fan newsletter and had some questions. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I was told there was nothing to report. It all depended on who answered the phone. A couple times I got an over-eager office worker who wanted to appear as someone who was important and they would tell me things that weren't released yet (tour dates and album release dates, stuff like that). I do know that these people changed jobs fairly quickly though as I could never get the same person I talked to previously.
The Bridge is a open studio, they have tours like Universal Studios and they are not a private backlot. Try it! They will not answer probing questions about anything having to do with standing sets, existing clients or sets in the stages. But they will answer questions about availability and costs for renting the available stages. Evidently, the "Baby Stage" gets used for filming commercials a lot.

I've also done "cold calling" of different industries for a class I took ages ago. Had to interview people for articles that, in the long run, never saw the light of day even though I told them they were for publication.

Bottom line is that if you want to be taken seriously you have to have a convincing reason for calling. If you tell Bridge Studios that you are a potential "customer" then you damn well better be factual about it because it's such a far fetched lie. Much easier to simply call and say you're working on an article for a website and wanted some clarification. Tons of people write free lance for tons of websites so there's no reason for them not to believe your story. A friend of mine writes for 5 different websites and he's just a guy who works at a comic book store, nothing more -- but the Internet publishing craze has given him legitimacy as a writer, so it opens doors to him that otherwise wouldn't be opened.
That works too, but all you really need to do is to be asking for availability for the stages to get answers. You can also come from a Tour Operator or Travel Agent angle. Ask about the tours and what people see on the tours and whats in the stages as far as what to see. If you mention any specifics like "Is Stargate still being filmed there?" or, "Are the Stargate sets still in Stages 5 and 6", they will be vague. The number is (604) 482-2000.