NuBSG on BBCA

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Basically Baltar needed meds for his schiziod tendencies...hearing voices no one else hears is a sign of some deep seated mental illnesses. ;) Oh it was obvious to me they were setting baltar up to be the cylon's "god" since the second season...:P

wow:icon_e_sad: when one is this much "out of the loop" of the story line...I don't know where to begin. GRAYBREW? EVILSPACEALIEN? someone? help!!!!!

G

Graybrew1

wow:icon_e_sad: when one is this much "out of the loop" of the story line...I don't know where to begin. GRAYBREW? EVILSPACEALIEN? someone? help!!!!!

I think that those of us at GF and those at Syfy both have the right to their opinions on this matter. Neither forum has not come to the point of ugly heated arguments.... I have seen them in both fourms if not been in them in both. This is an emotional subject. Fans of BSG are also very loyal to their franchise. I respect that we all all entitled to our opinions. The meaning behind Baltar is contested by a lot. It really is not black or white, It is a "gray" area. Up to interpretation.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think that those of us at GF and those at Syfy both have the right to their opinions on this matter. Neither forum has not come to the point of ugly heated arguments.... I have seen them in both fourms if not been in them in both. This is an emotional subject. Fans of BSG are also very loyal to their franchise. I respect that we all all entitled to our opinions. The meaning behind Baltar is contested by a lot. It really is not black or white, It is a "gray" area. Up to interpretation.

look..Baltar went to Doc Cottle who said he was fine..no issues. besides that, if a viewer does not understand that the "voices" Baltar is hearing are some type of paranormal / extra terrestrial being (as "she" states to Baltar "i am a servant of the one true god") than, sorry, the point was missed. The fact that "she "is real, if only to Baltars eyes (at first) is confirmed in his moment of doubt when he tries to ignore her AS a voice in his head. Whoever/higher power (again you have to remember the orig series where much more detail was spoon fed) then somehow arranges for Shelly Godfrey to come to Galactica with the film to show Baltar's guilt--when he confesses to "god" and says he believes--Godfrey is exposed as a fraud and 'disappears'.
Later, during the attack on the colony,both creatures in 6 and baltar form, are seen by the actual baltar and 6, they each see what only they could see until then. No psychosis or abnormal behavior, just the way was written. Look, do you like ST:TNG? If yes then do accept that Q appeared to Picard and also to others when he chose? Did you think Picard Schizophrenic? Was Q ever fully explained to satisfaction?
Like I have said before, many liken the "head" creatures to the Q continuum creatures. They both are agents of a higher power

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Let me try to Green you on this. One of the basic ideas behind GateFans is that it is not a flamewar forum - we can simply state something and if need be agree to disagree. That means it's sometimes more important to maintain harmony than to prove oneself right. It makes this place attractive.

G

Graybrew1

look..Baltar went to Doc Cottle who said he was fine..no issues. besides that, if a viewer does not understand that the "voices" Baltar is hearing are some type of paranormal / extra terrestrial being (as "she" states to Baltar "i am a servant of the one true god") than, sorry, the point was missed. The fact that "she "is real, if only to Baltars eyes (at first) is confirmed in his moment of doubt when he tries to ignore her AS a voice in his head. Whoever/higher power (again you have to remember the orig series where much more detail was spoon fed) then somehow arranges for Shelly Godfrey to come to Galactica with the film to show Baltar's guilt--when he confesses to "god" and says he believes--Godfrey is exposed as a fraud and 'disappears'.
Later, during the attack on the colony,both creatures in 6 and baltar form, are seen by the actual baltar and 6, they each see what only they could see until then. No psychosis or abnormal behavior, just the way was written. Look, do you like ST:TNG? If yes then do accept that Q appeared to Picard and also to others when he chose? Did you think Picard Schizophrenic? Was Q ever fully explained to satisfaction?
Like I have said before, many liken the "head" creatures to the Q continuum creatures. They both are agents of a higher power

My bigger issue with Baltar is he appeared to be two totally different people depending upon which season it was. First in the miniseries, he was a man, a ladykiller with not a lot of morals but supposed to be highly intellectual. But Six destroys his morals pretty quickly and makes him almost stupid by doing so. He continues to help the colonists one minute and the cylons the next for a couple of really good seasons. He is complex, well written and interesting, a true mystery.

But something happens to his character. At one point he is a Jim Jones type in the ship with the hordes of women he is sleeping with and they are idolizing him. At another point he is giving up humanity again on New Caprica for the cylons. He was all over the place. So, I can see why some might think his visions were supposed to be a sign of his mental instabliity.

In the end, they made the ends meet, but for me there was some large holes with his character during the middle seasons sometimes, and it was confusing.

But that is just IMHO.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My bigger issue with Baltar is he appeared to be two totally different people depending upon which season it was. First in the miniseries, he was a man, a ladykiller with not a lot of morals but supposed to be highly intellectual. But Six destroys his morals pretty quickly and makes him almost stupid by doing so. He continues to help the colonists one minute and the cylons the next for a couple of really good seasons. He is complex, well written and interesting, a true mystery.

But something happens to his character. At one point he is a Jim Jones type in the ship with the hordes of women he is sleeping with and they are idolizing him. At another point he is giving up humanity again on New Caprica for the cylons. He was all over the place. So, I can see why some might think his visions were supposed to be a sign of his mental instabliity.

In the end, they made the ends meet, but for me there was some large holes with his character during the middle seasons sometimes, and it was confusing.

But that is just IMHO.

Among other things Baltar is a true Narcissus and aflame with self-importance and survival (of himself) at any cost. When the head Baltar confronts him we get another taste of his self importance as "angels appear in the form of those dearest to us" at this time head 6 had deserted him so the other most loved person to Baltar (himself) is used, again by whoever/whatever/angel/demon/head creature.

Baltar changes positions and helps others in whatever way and on whatever scale necessary to ensure his survival. Thats why he signs the death order on New Cap, among other things.

anyhow a bit more info:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Gaius_Baltar

G

Graybrew1

Among other things Baltar is a true Narcissus and aflame with self-importance and survival (of himself) at any cost. When the head Baltar confronts him we get another taste of his self importance as "angels appear in the form of those dearest to us" at this time head 6 had deserted him so the other most loved person to Baltar (himself) is used, again by whoever/whatever/angel/demon/head creature.

Baltar changes positions and helps others in whatever way and on whatever scale necessary to ensure his survival. Thats why he signs the death order on New Cap, among other things.

anyhow a bit more info:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Gaius_Baltar

This is one of the reasons that I am rewatching the entire show. I will enjoy trying to catch all the little messages sent by the writer's about Baltar that I missed the first time.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Baltar ONLY had Cottle check for a implant of some type in his head, he never told anyone about the voice of Six in his head...he convinced himself he had an implant. Had he told Cottle the truth, well out would have come the anti-psychotics! ;) Yes Baltar obviously a narcisstic personality disorder but there were schizoid tendencies as well. (psychology degree here. ;) )
Picard was a bureacrat with delusions of grandeur and Q was merely Trelaine "all grown up".
Since you take the show so seriously this will be my last comment on the series. I am glad you enjoy it. :) I personally couldn't be bothered with it.

Let me try to Green you on this. One of the basic ideas behind GateFans is that it is not a flamewar forum - we can simply state something and if need be agree to disagree. That means it's sometimes more important to maintain harmony than to prove oneself right. It makes this place attractive.

well said my friend and thus I will walk away from this "discussion" :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Baltar ONLY had Cottle check for a implant of some type in his head, he never told anyone about the voice of Six in his head...he convinced himself he had an implant. Had he told Cottle the truth, well out would have come the anti-psychotics! ;) Yes Baltar obviously a narcisstic personality disorder but there were schizoid tendencies as well. (psychology degree here. ;) )
Picard was a bureacrat with delusions of grandeur and Q was merely Trelaine "all grown up".
Since you take the show so seriously this will be my last comment on the series. I am glad you enjoy it. :) I personally couldn't be bothered with it.

well said my friend and thus I will walk away from this "discussion" :)

Look you can choose to reply or not..but I have often found that trying to end a discussion on your point and "running away" from responses is not a very reasonable way of doing things. It does nothing to advance the conversation.

I am not out to "convert" anyone to be a BSG viewer or that I have to win an argument...

I came to this thread, and to this website, at the request of a friend who told me that GF's was a place with smart people and intelligent, open minded discussions. I was asked to come to this thread to shed light on BSG based on what I know of the topic. I did not come here to be attacked I am quite sure that Graybrew did not intend to set me up for an ambush.

I have several degrees as well with Psychology being a major part of both of them. If you just have an undergrad degree, then we both now that an undergrad psych degree is just enough to get one "in trouble":) However, we all could say that we are all quite "well papered" and it would mean nothing as the anonymity here does not lend to authentication of personal claims.

I put up a link last night to a "Baltar info page" constructed by people with far more knowledge on the subject then me and it (that entire website) is one of a few that have been written with access to Moore's "show bible"--so they have direct access to what Moore intended.

Prior to that I placed a few links to some threads on Syfy Caprica and BSG forums that contain a lot of info on the whole story and individual's (besides mine) theories on "things unaddressed/unexplained" in-show.

If you go to the 'Baltar link' you will see that he verifies that 6 is not a voice in his head when he overhears Sharon and Agathon speaking about her pregnancy--an event that 6 had predicted before anyone on Galactica even knew that Agathon was still alive or that Sharon was a cylon (other than Baltar)-or for that matter that there were other Sharon models.

Once again, if this is how some members treat people who have been asked to come and share their knowledge of a topic then perhaps it is an invitation better to be left RSVP'd:(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, I remember watching it too. Maybe people who don't consider themselves fans of Sci-Fi or who had never watched the original series can't relate to it, but THAT was one of the most WTF moments for me on the entire show!

It had to do with the inter-personal dynamics of Apollo's relationship with his father, for one that he only became a pilot to suit his father's wishes and that he had always preferred to follow the example of his grandfather,Joseph Adama, as a lawyer instead. There were other reasons as well...

When he "showed up in a suit" (it wasn't "un-announced" he did resign) it was very akin to O'Neill--the reluctant hero involuntarily recalled from retirement--becoming the SGC commander and bureaucrat.

Moore closely collaborated with Glenn Larson (TOS creator) on ideas for BSG, perhaps they talked on this;perhaps in TOS Larson would have done something similar if had the opportunity?

I say, turn to the DVD commentaries, the answer is most likely there:)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Look you can choose to reply or not..but I have often found that trying to end a discussion on your point and "running away" from responses is not a very reasonable way of doing things. It does nothing to advance the conversation.

I am not out to "convert" anyone to be a BSG viewer or that I have to win an argument...

I came to this thread, and to this website, at the request of a friend who told me that GF's was a place with smart people and intelligent, open minded discussions. I was asked to come to this thread to shed light on BSG nased on what I know of the topic. I did not come here to be attacked I am quite sure that Graybrew did not intend to set me up for an ambush.

I have several degrees as well with Psychology being a major part of both of them. If you just have an undergrad degree, then we both now that an undergrad psych degree is just enough to get one "in trouble":) However, we all good say that we are all quite "well papered" and it would mean nothing as the anonymity here does not lend to authentication of personal claims.

I put up a link last night to a "Baltar info page" constructed by people with far more knowledge on the subject then me and it (that entire website) is one of a few that have been written with access to Moore's "show bible"--so they have direct access to what Moore intended.

Prior to that I placed a few links to some threads on Syfy Caprica and BSG forums that contain a lot of info on the whole story and individual's (besides mine) theories on "things unaddressed/unexplained" in-show.

If you go to the 'Baltar link' you will see that he verifies that 6 is not a voice in his head when he overhears Sharon and Agathon speaking about her pregnancy--an event that 6 had predicted before anyone on Galactica even knew that Agathon was still alive or that Sharon was a cylon (other than Baltar)-or for that matter that there were other Sharon models.

Once again, if this is how some members treat people who have been asked to come and share their knowledge of a topic then perhaps it is an invitation better to be left RSVP'd:(

you are welcome to share any knowledge you desire. but sorry the topic is merely not interesting (nor important enough) to me to spend time debating and discussing. show bible or no show bible- like all "art" it is open to interpretation. I nor anyone else that I can see have "attacked" you by merely stating where we differ. since you are taking it that way i am walking away because I do not want to be "blamed" for driving you (or anyone else) away. enjoy. :)

G

Graybrew1

Moving On.................

Perhaps there are some other's out there that we have not heard from on NuBSG. I believe Backstep was one of them. :biggrin:

G

Graybrew1

I personally don't like Wrestling, it is not my cup of tea, I don't follow it and know very little about it. I would never have the audicity to go on a Wrestling thread and bash it however. Make fun of it's actors, writers, character's.................Never. If I did I doubt I would have a very good friend who is a huge wrestling fan.

Since, this could not be kept off the open boards. Here is how I see this.

I invited and promoted GF to a BSG fan....this fan loves and adores this show. As do millions more, this is not a small fanbase we are talking about here. I had some issues with plot holes and questions and so I asked him to give me more of his input on this matter while I rewatched the entire show. He proceeded to do so. In the meantime he has been lectured about how GF fans do things versus Syfy ( can we let the real MODS do that form now on?) , how to correct his grammar and how many horrid or non interesting things there is about the show. I have been embarrassed by how he has been treated. This is not the open minded laid back intellectual Scifi community for all that I promised him.

Now, again I ask.....Is there anybody with anything constructive about BSG they want to talk about?

B

Backstep

Moving On.................

Perhaps there are some other's out there that we have not heard from on NuBSG. I believe Backstep was one of them. :biggrin:

Before i can give my opinion to yonjin theory on the characters i need to watch the seasons i missed otherwise I am posting blind and my opinion mostly likely stem from my personal beliefs not from the story line. As i rewatch NuBSG on BBCA I am willing to discuss as the show proceeds with fans in a honest open and civil debate.

G

Graybrew1

Before i can give my opinion to yonjin theory on the characters i need to watch the seasons i missed otherwise I am posting blind and my opinion mostly likely stem from my personal beliefs not from the story line. As i rewatch NuBSG on BBCA I am willing to discuss as the show proceeds with fans in a honest open and civil debate.

As am I, I also am not that well versed in some of the aspects of the show and still learning. Are you doing the BBCA rewatch of it now too?

B

Backstep

As am I, I also am not that well versed in some of the aspects of the show and still learning. Are you doing the BBCA rewatch of it now too?

Yes I am, Saturday has two eps running 33 and Water. 33 starting at 7pm and Water at 8pm EDT

G

Graybrew1

I opened a thread for 33 and water, all are invited to join in to discuss both epis there.

Awesome sounds good, OT I know, but are you hanging around for the rewatch tonight for the movie for GF?